Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official "Aces High" Campaign Thread
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:01 PM UTC
Eetu:
The 109 is coming along very nicely.

I have decided on which ace. Lt C.D Burdick of the 356th FG. 7 victories in DoDo.

Nigel: I have had a hard time finding photos. Will either of these meet the requirement?

Thanks
Taylor

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi Tuomas.
Your Buffalo is going to be a very welcome addition! I enjoyed the Fighters Under The Midnight Sun Campaign very much and the Finnish colours and markings look great.
Looking good Eetu! Nice preshading, I can never get mine to look like that!
Taylor.
Well done with the research!
The first photo will be fine, but its good to see a close up of Lt Burdick in teh cockpit as well!
Good luck painting that spinner
Nige
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu:
Nigel: I have had a hard time finding photos. Will either of these meet the requirement?

Thanks
Taylor

..nice pics Taylor...... there's a nice pic of Burdick squatting on the wing of 'Dodo' along side his victory markings in the old Squadron 'Aces of the 8th' title (Hess) - it was re-published in some other Hess titles - I think its also in one of the Aces and Wingmen' vols.. great subject..but that spinner is going to be hard to mask !!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Eetu! Nice preshading, I can never get mine to look like that!

Thanks. It turned out pretty heavy in some places but I'm quite happy with it as a whole.
Yesterday I airbrushed the exposed parts of the cockpit opening with RLM66. I think I'll paint the canopy frames that interior colour as well and attach the fixed parts of it to the fuselage before proceeding to painting the camo scheme.

Btw, now that you mentioned the research aspect of this campaign, I've found a good photo of the pilot, but not of the aircraft.
So far I've come across a single one shot of MT-437, and that's not the most suitable one for an aces-themed campaign. It's a rear quarter photo of the plane after a forced landing onto a field...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eetu:

Thanks
Taylor

..nice pics Taylor...... there's a nice pic of Burdick squatting on the wing of 'Dodo' along side his victory markings in the old Squadron 'Aces of the 8th' title (Hess) - it was re-published in some other Hess titles - I think its also in one of the Aces and Wingmen' vols.. great subject..but that spinner is going to be hard to mask !!

I have that book. Im home in a couple of weeks and I'll scan it for you, but you'll have to remind me as I have a head like a sieve
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Taylor.
I had an email from Neil today. He was on his works email account and wasnt able to log into Kitmaker so I'm posting this on his behalf.

Nige
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Taylor.
I had an email from Neil today. He was on his works email account and wasnt able to log into Kitmaker so I'm posting this on his behalf.

Nige

Nigel and Neil:

Thank you both for your help very much Neil, that photo is great. I have really enjoyed the research part of this campaign, but unfortunately my library is not that extensive.

The spinner will be a big challenge. Lets see if I can pull off the NMF first.

Taylor
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you both for your help very much Neil, that photo is great. I have really enjoyed the research part of this campaign, but unfortunately my library is not that extensive.
The spinner will be a big challenge. Lets see if I can pull off the NMF first.
Taylor

..glad you like the pic .. super isn't it.....not in any book though ......via a friend from Mr Burdick himself...

TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
I had big drawback recently, when I primed my Brewster and its canopy outdoors, I left them dry on table outside my house. When i went to check how it is doing I couldn't find my canopy anywhere! I have hard feeling that it was either the wind or some other animal (Birds, ants etc.) The thing pisses me off now isn't the canopy itself, but the frames I just masked and cut (18!!! on 1/72 scale!). I have to check my LHS for new kit, fortunately it's not too expensive (5~€).

I have my sturmbocke now cockpit done, pictures to come soon!
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
Neil:
Considering the trouble you went to passing along the photo, I wanted to say thank you again. I hope I can return the favor someday.

Tuomas:
Very sorry to hear about the Brewster canopy. I'm still hoping to see it completed. To tackle a 72nd scale Buffalo must mean you still have very good vision
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
Some more progress on my 109.
RLM02, 04 and 70 sprayed on:

Next I'll take care of the canopy framing, mask up and start laying down some RLM76.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:02 PM UTC
Update on Molder's 109. Nearly finished, First time back at the bench in a month. First use of an airbrush on the wings. I've over done the lightening of panels but I'll get there. The brown splatters are my first attempts with the testors fine nozzle and my 1000s airbrush. Find I need to turn paint flow way down to get the fine lines.

Molder's 109Molder's 109Molder's 109

Molder's 109Molder's 109

Todo, paint and add tail wheel, one fuselage gun, antenna, and pitot and stuff like that.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC

Now I'm almost ready to mask up the cockpit opening and wheels and start painting.

But before attaching the canopy, there was a couple things to do.
The smaller of the two was to stretch some sprue to make the handles inside the windscreen.

The other was painting and attaching the Revi 16b gunsight. In 1:72, this was quite a tiny part.

I first airbrushed it RLM 66, gave it a black wash and drybrushed with a lighter grey. Then I painted the light bulb on top and attached the reflector glasses. As the other glass should be tinted, as on the real thing, I mixed some future and Citadel brown ink which gave a nice shade to it.

When dryfitting the finished gunsight to the cockpit, I realised the styrene mount I had added sat way too low on the instrument panel (which itself also sits too low in the fuselage). Because you normally need to see out of the cockpit through the sight, I cobbled together a contraption from styrene strips to mount the gunsight at about the correct position.

With it secured, I attached the fixed portions of the canopy.

Edit: added a photo.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
Looking good Eetu and JP. That's one giant finger you got there :o

I have primed and started painting both my sturmbocke and brewster, some pictures maybe when the weather clears out.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Eetu: Nice job on the 109. Pieces are so tiny I'll have to qoute Murtaugh from Lethal weapon. "I'm too old for that [auto-censored]"!

Thuomas: The Buffalo is coming on fine too. Too bad about the canopy, but those things happen. I'm looking forward to see the result, since I have two Reggiane 2000 with about the same magnitude of rivets on them, and I haven't dared start on them yet.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC
i'm done! with nearly a month to spare (guess who thought this campaign ended on nov 1st! )
not the best pic, but my camera was on its last bit of battery power, i'll take some better ones when my batteries recharge. didn't stop me having a bit of fun with the photo editing stuff though-

spot the difference! -hang on, theres a glaring one! the original doesn't have a fusalage stripe......
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:23 AM UTC
Nice one Phil!
Another Ace..almost.
Please post the photos in the ACES HIGH GALLERY to qualify for your ribbon.
Dont worry, I'll save you a space at the Officers Club bar.(Failing that, I'll just nip round your house, its close enough )
One month to go everyone! Good luck!
Nige
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Some superb builds in this campaign, well done.

At a visit to the LHS this week I picked up the Hobby Boss F4_F Wildcat for half price. A nice little kit with few pieces to provide a welcome distraction to my Panther Ausf. G I'm bogged down in for a campaign on armorama.
It turns out the decal options are for two USMC Aces from Guadalcanal in 1942, one being the mount of Joe Foss. I've done a little digging online and was able to get my hands on "Wildcat Aces of World War 2" and came across the following:
Foss scored his first kill on 13 October 1942. He flew "White 50" for several of his victories. On 12 November 1942, he downed two 'Bettys' and a single Zero to notch up numbers 20, 21 and 22. White 50 was entirely representative of Cactus Air Force F4Fs in Guadalcanal, with no personal or unit markings. Kill tallies were rarely painted on Marine F4F's, it being felt that such decorations would generate unwelcome attention from the enemy. According to these sources pilots flew in different planes, often the nearest available working aircraft, in Cactus Air Force. By the end of his tour in 1943, Foss had 26 victories to his name making him the highest ranking Marine Ace of the war, for which he was later awarded the medal of honour and appeared on the cover of TIME magazine.

F4F-4 "White 50", flown by Captain Joseph Jacob Foss, VMF-121, USMC, Guadalcanal 12 November 1942:

And a photo of Foss:

Nigel, I know this is a late entry, but with a few more weeks to go I'll definitely get it finished. Does it meet the campaign criteria?

Thanks,

Mike.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi all

before I forget it I better post one photo to the gallery. This was taken by Marc at Merchweiler ... the weather is pretty bad now so I cannot take more photos at the moment:

I cannot find the pic where he is knieling on his a/c online ..so I refer to Andy's pic (I took the version from Alexvraciu.org)

I will post more pictures when the weather improves

cheers

Steffen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,

Some superb builds in this campaign, well done.

At a visit to the LHS this week I picked up the Hobby Boss F4_F Wildcat for half price. A nice little kit with few pieces to provide a welcome distraction to my Panther Ausf. G I'm bogged down in for a campaign on armorama.
It turns out the decal options are for two USMC Aces from Guadalcanal in 1942, one being the mount of Joe Foss. I've done a little digging online and was able to get my hands on "Wildcat Aces of World War 2" and came across the following:
Foss scored his first kill on 13 October 1942. He flew "White 50" for several of his victories. On 12 November 1942, he downed two 'Bettys' and a single Zero to notch up numbers 20, 21 and 22. White 50 was entirely representative of Cactus Air Force F4Fs in Guadalcanal, with no personal or unit markings. Kill tallies were rarely painted on Marine F4F's, it being felt that such decorations would generate unwelcome attention from the enemy. According to these sources pilots flew in different planes, often the nearest available working aircraft, in Cactus Air Force. By the end of his tour in 1943, Foss had 26 victories to his name making him the highest ranking Marine Ace of the war, for which he was later awarded the medal of honour and appeared on the cover of TIME magazine.

F4F-4 "White 50", flown by Captain Joseph Jacob Foss, VMF-121, USMC, Guadalcanal 12 November 1942:

And a photo of Foss:

Nigel, I know this is a late entry, but with a few more weeks to go I'll definitely get it finished. Does it meet the campaign criteria?

Thanks,

Mike.

It works for me Mike!
One month to go everyone!

Nice entry Steffen. I took the liberty of posting the period photograph in the gallery on your behalf to complete your entry.

Nige
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Thank you Nigel!!

I do/did not want to violate copy right thus I linked a picture directly from the Alex Vraciu site and wrote:
Quoted Text

I refer to Andy's pic

but if you prefer a copy I am o.k. with that!

all the best

Steffen
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It works for me Mike!
One month to go everyone!

Thanks Nige!

A few more pics and artwork of Foss:

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 01:51 AM UTC
Here's some more progress on my 109.
I got the RLM76 sprayed on the fuselage and wings. Like on the wheel wells, I sprayed on a light coat of future to prevent any unwanted surprises with the masking.
I tried to keep the coat somewhat lighter on the fuselage than on the underside of the wings, because of the mottling that will follow.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC
Looks good, Eetu. The shading came out very well on the lower fuselage and wings.

Looking forward to see more
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 03:13 AM UTC
After a couple of months of distractions, I have finally managed to get back to the bench to complete Machold's 109.

Had to hand paint Bonzo dog emblem. I'm no artist but it came out Ok I think

Not so sure about the mottle though. It still looks a little artificial, but will have to do I suppose.

Once we get some better light I will try and take some better pictures. For now though, comments and critque are most welcome.

Steve