Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official: Phabulous Phantom Thread
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:00 PM UTC
Kirby I am not 100% sure but I remember them as all white lights. 300kts in 500ft? Is that all? Man the new guys just lack the passion! You must hear the F-4E stories here!!! I don't mean that Turkish pilots are a speciality(well they are all mad that is for sure but that is not the subject) all F-4 pilots all around the world are a crazy bunch of people!!!!
Ryan where did you get the Mono????
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi guys, while waiting for the Brit Phantoms to finish(and thus I am not going to vocation, thanks to Embasy of France) I (sortof) finished the F-4B of (trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) Jolly Rogers.

jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 01:26 AM UTC
Congrats on areally nice looking phantom there mate
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC
Great looking Phantom, Yalym. A very attractive colour scheme with great markings. I especially like the pirate flag
A full bomb load would make it look really nice, but that is a matter of taste

Thanks for participating
Hoss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
I agree with the other guys...nice looking jet. I'm guessing that was a circa late sixties scheme. I really like the paint job. Hope mine will turn out as good.

Kirby
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks all gentlemen! Yep it is sixties, but as far as I know it is 1964 over Vietnam. Same paint scheme was used through 70's but this one is an early one. VF-84 turned the tail white skull and bones over all black later on when they recieved the J's, but infact the CAG bird, which is also a B of this era is aas seen on later models, All black tail. The kit had it too but I decided to go with the different. I am willing to build more Fighting 84 Phantoms on later times but no back to buisness on the Brits:}
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:55 AM UTC
I have started Colonel Olds Phantom. To be unconventional, I decided to do all the missles, bombs, and racks first. To me these are the things I lose interest in towards the end of a build. So I am getting them done first. Not worth getting the camera out for. But next week, I should be getting into the real part of the build.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have started Colonel Olds Phantom.

Hello Carl,

I heard that Accurate Miniatures in coming out (When?) with an F-4 of Brig. General Olds aircraft. What kit are you using? and will you need to used multiple decal sheets to get what you want?

Sincerely,
Brian
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi all! This is my first campaign and one of a few kits since coming back into the fray after a 15year hiatus, so please be gentle! After many setbacks, 2 year old son learning to climb shelves and destroy canopies and landing gear, I have finally completed and posted a photo of my entry, a 1/72 Fujimi F-4N Phantom OOB into the campaign photo album. I attempted to put more photos onto the site and here, but must be doing something wrong. 3 days of trying and only got the one on here! Anyway, all done and was a really fun build.
Hoss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
This is my first campaign as well and I'm as nervous as you...it looks like a nice jet. Love the vertical stabilizer with the cool decal. I assume kit? There are some pretty cool aftermarket sets out there too. I'm going with kit decals on mine and am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't screw them up. LOL. Once again, nice build after your hiatus.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
Beware RAF is coming! I finaly achieved some progress on my original entry, the Tiger sisters of 74 sq RAF. Here is the curent condition:

Rest of the photoes are in the Phantoms Over Nations project log.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:59 AM UTC
Ok been busy with some other builds but here is one of the Phantoms near to completion.

The kit is old and the decals just as old, looks like who ever measured her up got the sizes wrong for the decals. All the data plates and warning triangles are to big, with out a big stash of spare 1/144 decals yet I've had to use the kit ones.

Ciao
Luciano
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 08:11 PM UTC
Yalym, looks great.

Luciano, looks good, although I agree with you on the decals. Way too big. Looks like it is 1/72 decals. Still looks cool with the shark mouth.

Looking forward to see them all finished
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
Yes in deed they look big. Is it the Academy box? If so no wonder it has problems. It is a copy of copy mold and the decals are unmentionable. If you are intrested there is cleaner mold in Arii and there is a trple set of JG1(I think, or 72, not sure) including the red and black tuliped one. But if you can risk fiddling on, Platz is my only recomendation in 1/144. There is also the new Cafe Reo F-4D kit. Did anyone see it yet? I am willing to buy one but it is sold in a triple set of F-4D,A-6 and F-8 and it is around 18$ in HLJ. Any ideas?
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jesper. Red nose is done:}

You know where the rest of the photoes are:}
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hey all good to see some great Phantoms!

I have a problem with award ribbons. the two i have bring up errors. so can someone help out with this? thanks.

Also i may not be able to complete my model as i have an operation in 3 weeks on my shoulder. and i will be out from using it for a while and i am nowhere near finishing even building it because other comitments that come first! Oh why now!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a problem with award ribbons. the two i have bring up errors. so can someone help out with this? thanks.

Yes, it is always a problem.
First check it is a gif file, the correct size and correct name. If this still does not help, then write to Rowan or Jean-Luc to see if they can help you out.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC
Yalyam its an old LS kit the same mold as Arii I believe. I have a second one which I'm doing with AM decals so should be a lot better.

Ciao
Luciano
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:00 AM UTC
Well the first one is finished, the kit was nice to build but does show its age as do the decals which are over sized.

And this is the second build which will be the Playboy bunny of VX-4

Ciao
Luciano
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi all!

Some very nice builds here already!

Well, It´s time for me to kick off this Campaign too.

Once again, I have changed my mind about what subject to build!

Rest easy, It´s still a Phantom and It´s still a 1/48th Hasegawa kit, only different version and new decals!

This kit is so fast and easy to build that before I took any photos, I had the cockpit assembled and painted, fuselage closed, wings and all the smaller sub-assemblies already done.

Before painting the inside of the intakes I had them glued to the fuselage, easiest way to get a perfect fit to the fuselage.

Here the fuselage is compared to the RA-5C Vigilante, the Phantom looks quite small!

Then I could join the fuselage, wings and nose.
No nose-weight is needed as the Phantom isn´t a tailsitter "by nature".

Only addition to this build (besides decals) are new bang-seats from Pavla.
The detail seems to be lacking in the pic, but just wait until the seats are painted!
They are the most detailed and beautiful seats you can get in this scale, and a careful painting makes them really "pop"!

Did I say it is a fast build, how about less then a week so far?

Now It´s off to the paint-shop!

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Looks good, Stefan. That Vigilante is extreme if it dwarfs a Phantom beside it!

You are right about the ejection seats - they look like two chunks of resin in the photos, so I am really looking forward to see them with paint on.

Looking forward to see more
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi there,
Turkish Phantom finally done. Some pics.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
Great job, Ayhan. I am continually astonished at your panel lines - you make them stand out without overdoing it. What is your secret technique?

A great addtion to your Phantom collection
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
Ayhan that is one great looking Phantom you have there, and as Jesper has said your panels lines are out of this world.

Ciao
Luciano
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Wooohoooo!!!! Hell yeah!!! Cool bird buddy! As soon as I lay my hands on decals I'll join you... Realy nice job...