Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P-47 Group Build Campaign.Enlist Here!
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC
Well I see Rod Serling finally brought your H by. They do look like a shark don't they a mean old fat one too! This campaign needs to hurry as I am getting really impatient to start...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I see Rod Serling finally brought your H by. They do look like a shark don't they a mean old fat one too! This campaign needs to hurry as I am getting really impatient to start...

Honestly!,,Some people have no patience.
Dont you have an airplane to go fix?
Nige,,( who has to have a lot of patience because hes never home long enough to build anything )
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
I think I may well be tempted into this group build. I have the decal sheet (but not the model) for a P-47 I've loved for a long time.

She is Daddy Rabbit:

Would Tamiya's 1/48 D model be a good choice for this aircraft?

H
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi H
Im away from my references at the moment so cant check out the batch number for your P-47 just yet, but basically,if its a P-47D-25or D-28, then the Tamiya "D" kit is ok. The cockpit has a corrugated floor. D-30 batch onwards had a flat cockpit floor and the Tamiya P-47 M is the kit to go for in that case.
Personally i would go for the P-47M kit every time, as it includes both style cockpits,more propellor options, extra fusalage fillets and more choice of droptanks.
Hope this helps
Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 05:25 AM UTC
I have just enlisted and I have THE WARLORDS VOLUME I by Barry & Ann Money which contains many a/c to choose from. I like Capt. William T. O'Reagan of the 334th FS with his purple elephant spitting .50's.

ROBERT
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC
Jeeze awful grouchy..

I just ordered a 1/32 kit an older one from Revell So I best get to fixing that plane before someone gets even grouchier
Later,
Kelly
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi H
Im away from my references at the moment so cant check out the batch number for your P-47 just yet, but basically,if its a P-47D-25or D-28, then the Tamiya "D" kit is ok. The cockpit has a corrugated floor. D-30 batch onwards had a flat cockpit floor and the Tamiya P-47 M is the kit to go for in that case.
Personally i would go for the P-47M kit every time, as it includes both style cockpits,more propellor options, extra fusalage fillets and more choice of droptanks.
Hope this helps
Nige

Thanks Lampie. Yes I believe the aircraft was a D-28 but I can confirm as it is printed on the decal reference sheet.

So I could make a D from the M kit without too much hassle then?

Thanks for all your help mate.

H
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi H
Hope this helps
Nige

Thanks Lampie. Yes I believe the aircraft was a D-28 but I can confirm as it is printed on the decal reference sheet.

So I could make a D from the M kit without too much hassle then?

Thanks for all your help mate.

H

Hi H
The Tamiya "M" kit is basically the D kit with an extra sprue containing the flat floor cockpit, M fusalage fillets, teardrop style droptanks, another prop and some more magnetos. Actually, the "extra" magnetos included in the M kit are correct for the D.( if that makes sense,,lol )
So,unless you specifically want the decals from the D kit, go for the M everytime

Kelly,,check you PMs,,lol
Welcome aboard Rob
Kelly did you get the Revell "N"?

Hey guess what?,,,,IM HOME!!!
Bring on the "Ugly Duckling".

Nige
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
its an old D model and I have a question think I could use the interior set you reviewed on it from Eduard's??

I checked the PM's and sent one back.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its an old D model and I have a question think I could use the interior set you reviewed on it from Eduard's??

I checked the PM's and sent one back.

Hi Kelly.
Im sure there are parts of the PE set you could use for sure.
Robert.and anyone else thinking about doing a P-47C I can recommend the Loon Models resin cowlings for the Tamiya Razorback kit.
Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
Nigel I have the Hasegawa P-47D rescue bird. Will the Loon "C" cowling fit or will there be a lot of filing to make it fit? By the way thanks for the tip on Loon Models.

ROBERT
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel I have the Hasegawa P-47D rescue bird. Will the Loon "C" cowling fit or will there be a lot of filing to make it fit? By the way thanks for the tip on Loon Models.

ROBERT

Hi Robert.
The Loon Models "C" cowling doesnt fit the Hasegawa kit Im afraid.
The difference between the "C" and "D" cowling is the number of cooling flaps. P-47C's having 8, the P-47D having 12. Its possible to fill the panel lines of the bottom two flaps each side, and youd then have to flatten the curve on cowling flaps #2 and 11 to make a right angle. Nothing too drastic.
On the subject of the Hasegawa 5th ERS P-47. The decals dont include the units cowling artwork featured on many, but not all 5th ERS T'bolts.
And to nicely round off this post, Loon Models have recently released a resin dinghy pack and smoke marker set for the Tamiya P-47 (1:48th)
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
Some excellent noseart has been mentioned in the last few posts, and here it is in more detail.
Daddy Rabbit.

William O'Regans purple elephant was one of the many cowling artworks painted by Don Allen.A few years ago Allen recreated many of his WW2 nosearts and these are on display at the AMC Museum at Dover,Delaware.

Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:55 AM UTC
Ok Nigel I will check into purchasing a Tamiya P-47 and try to find out who distributes Loon Resin here.

ROBERT
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Nigel I will check into purchasing a Tamiya P-47 and try to find out who distributes Loon Resin here.

ROBERT

Hi Robert.
Heres a link
LOON MODELS
Nige
oakboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm in. Don't know exactly what I'll build yet. Might do RS Johnson's Half Pint P-47C, if I can find the nose art, or Archer's P-47 from the 332nd Fighter group (Tuskegee Airmen). Great site, by the way. I've learned quite alot from you all, so far. Thanks.
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
I was playing around with an old Testor's kit and tried my hand at foil my goal was to make it look like it was being stripped on the OD and going bare metal. Oh and the gun barrel is fixed now.
I have a way to go learning this foil stuff but it is fun to play with.

EDIT= Its not done yet as I don't think Testors kits are ever done
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi Kelly.
Looking at the photos, it gives me a warm feeling to know that its not only me thats mad as a hatter!
Nige
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 01:22 AM UTC
you say that like its a bad thing
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi guys and girls

I am already planning a little bit for this campaign. I need your help as my references on P-47s are extremely limited. I am more into the Luftwaffe birds.

I have seen a P-47D from Academy in my LHS. I know the decals are crap so they are going in the dust bin.
In my stash I have some really cool markings for a P-47N. What are the external differences between a 'D' and a 'N' version. Can I use the 'N' decals on a 'D' without being grossly inaccurate?

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Jesper.
Of all the differences between production types the difference between an "N" and a "D" is the most radical.
If you dont mind I'll give a detailed answer in the P-47 SIG Thread later today.
P-47 Special Interest Group
The condensed answer though,is that markings for an "N" would be inappropriate on anything else.
Nige
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
Well I thought I'd show what I will be building when the time comes.

Although I will not be using the 'Mary Lou' markings, I'm going with the other option in the box.

Ciao
Luciano
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi All,

I'm going to sign up for this with an Academy 1/48 P-47D.

Jesper,

As a matter of interest just how bad are the decals? Decals are not really my strong point, (I'm just trying to think what my strong points are!) are they poor by the aircraft they depict or poor quality? Anyhoo, Should i go for aftermarket decals?

Thanks,

Victor
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Hi Victor.
Academy decals are notorious for silvering and being generally bad.
I know of only one person who seems to be able to make them work,,Ive never had any luck with them although Academy kits in general are excellent.
Consequently, I always dump Academy decals and go for AM.
Nige
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hi Nigel,

Done and done, I have plenty of time to find some after market ones.

Thanks,

Victor.