Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Swing-wing 2008 official thread
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stefan,

Hope i'm not too late but the the intakes should be lined up at the bottom of the fuselage and there should be a step on the top as this is the case on the real thing.

You can just see it in this picture and this one (It's the black line just under the cockpit).

I only found this out after a Tornado pilot pointed it out on my tornado i did

Hope this helps

Cheers

Allen

Hi Allen!

It sure does help me, but not on this kit I´m afraid!

I´m sorry to have to tell you It´s a little too late, as I already had glued the front and aft fuselages together quite firmly!

What bogs me now is that I have lots of references on the Tornado, but missed this!
It´s quite obvious if you know what to look at, but I had never seen it myself!

But this saved me from doing the same mistake on the next one!
You live and learn all the time!

I´ll have to live with this for now, and do the best of it somehow!

Thanks for the info, Mate!

Cheers!

Stefan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
I Thought it might be too late as I saw the stress in the plastic on your last photo.

It looks to be a vent of some kind but quite often the plastic parts are to thick to represent it so people think it's a moulding or fit problem here's a better view of the intake. (note the fod guard on the bit we're talking about)

Tornado Intake

The photo is from this site that might be worth visiting for when you build you next one Tornado Walkaround

Cheers

Allen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 06:51 PM UTC
Friends!

A long overdue update to the master plan:

Both Sean and Jesper did heroic rushes early in the campaign and have each finished one spectacular model. Jesper also designed the ribbon, thanks again!

On the subject of ribbons, this is now uploaded to the campaign page and I have also gotten us a two month extension. Finish date is now march 31. I hope this will allow a few more of us to finish their projects and maybe allow those who have left the campaign to come back.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 06:55 PM UTC
Just to provide some inspiration, the campaign leader has finally started his project as well!

This is one of the wings of my XF-10F Jaguar. My first resin kit ever.

I have started my usual build blog here

Magnus
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC
With the extension, I'll make it.
Thanks!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Well folks, I have been out of sorts and thought I had already posted what I was going to build. But I haven't been back to this thread because I thought it was ending today. So I have spent all my spare time trying to get my Tomcat finished by today. Nothing beats a good plan.

It is a 1/48th Fujimi Tomcat in Roll-out colors. It is a little dog of a kit, the seat looking like they were produced by Lego. The fit is almost acceptable. The decals and boxart are the only redeeming points of this kit. But my wife likes it, and it does look good in those colors. Thanks for looking.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well folks, I have been out of sorts and thought I had already posted what I was going to build. But I haven't been back to this thread because I thought it was ending today. So I have spent all my spare time trying to get my Tomcat finished by today. Nothing beats a good plan.

It is a 1/48th Fujimi Tomcat in Roll-out colors. It is a little dog of a kit, the seat looking like they were produced by Lego. The fit is almost acceptable. The decals and boxart are the only redeeming points of this kit. But my wife likes it, and it does look good in those colors. Thanks for looking.

Carl! Sorry I haven't told you about the extension, I'll send a PM out to all participants today so those who haven't noticed don't give up too early!

Cool aircraft and amusing to hear that you have the same situation as me: The first hurdle to get past is my wife. My modelling friends tend to say nice things whatever I bring to the meetings while my wife always tell the truth !

The appropriate updates to the table has been done:

Magnus
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:29 PM UTC
Finally started the Su-24 from Dragon... Cockpit will be painted tomorrow. And some pics too...
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
I've made a few further adjustments to the table. When I was double-checking against the campaign page I noticed a few people that were in the table but not in the campaign listing and a few others the other way around!

If anyone feel left out, press the button here and send me a PM!

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
Well I finally got the decalling started at the weekend. I'm using a mix of the kit decals and Cam's Stencils, as the text on Cam's decals are a bit more readable and the slime lights allegedly glow in the dark

I decided to do the inside of the fins and let them dry over night (last night) before applying the other sides as I was weary of accidentally pulling off the inner decals. When I had finished I gave the decals a quick brush over with Daco's Decal solvent (as Micro Sol sometimes doesn't touch Heasgawa Decals) and unfortunately this happened

As I turns out I accidentally used the jar of "Daco Strong" rather than "Daco Medium" so I've remove the decals with Tape and will now have to spray the red areas next weekend (fortunately Hasegawa give you the option of full decals for the fins or painting the red and decals for the letters and logos)

Watch this space
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
done. here sis my finished pic of my entry, dragon 1/144 F14.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Lap Man: Congratulations, your'e the fourth builder to "go green"!

Allen: I have used Gunze's decal solvent a few times. I don't know what kind of decals they are meant for since I have always ended up with exactly the same result as you...

And a table update:

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Allen: I have used Gunze's decal solvent a few times. I don't know what kind of decals they are meant for since I have always ended up with exactly the same result as you...

I have been told that Gunze Decal solvent works best on Hasegawa decals but i don't have any to try it. I think I'll stick with microsol for the larger decals
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Wings are soon finished, they will get a coat of clear tomorrow then the build can continue!

Build blog is here

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 09:10 AM UTC
Really nice F-14, Lap Man. Especially when considering the scale.

Looking forward to see more finished before the new deadline
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
Already started the Su-24, from Dragon, a very crude interior, basic (almost LEGO like) seats.
Anyway I won't consider any aftermarket parts, not much time left.
Hope to take some pics this weekend.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 07:16 PM UTC
John: Good luck, you still have almost two months to deadline!

I hope to make good progress on my entry from now on with everything else off the table.

I have added weight to the fuselage to avoid tail sitting. The cockpit is sparsely detailed but I will do as usual and concentrate detailing to the seat that is more visible.

The working wing sweep mechanism has been assembled and tested.

Build blog is here

Magnus
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:19 AM UTC
Finished.
Academy 1/144th scale Tornado, which doesn't fit together very well. No wonder they were giving them away free at Telford model show .
Uploaded into the campaign gallery.

Andy
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well Andy. They use to say that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but this one got you a shiny campaign ribbon! Maybe you're the one that finally broke the rule!

Tony
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Andy. They use to say that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but this one got you a shiny campaign ribbon! Maybe you're the one that finally broke the rule!

Tony

Thanks Tony.
I did have to buy something to get it free mind, but I didn't know that at the time until I paid for the other kit (IDF M151A1 jeep) . Mmmmmm lunch, hungry now .
Andy
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
Andy! Congratulations!

It always makes me happy when I get to take out the green paint bucket in Excel:

`
I just wonder, where are the varks?

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC
Nice looking little Tornado, Andy.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 01:06 AM UTC

Work continues!

I hope you all are doing good progress, it would be nice to beat the Paparazzis when it comes to number of finished models!

Build blog is here

Magnus
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Still working on the cockpit of the Su-24.
Hasegawa kits from the 80's had better detailing on those cockpits, anyway I won't get any AM stuff, no time and no $$...
Pics during the weekend
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still working on the cockpit of the Su-24.
Hasegawa kits from the 80's had better detailing on those cockpits, anyway I won't get any AM stuff, no time and no $$...
Pics during the weekend

Looking forward to that John!

Regarding cockpit detailing, I think 1/72 Hasegawa had its peak before 1990 (that's almost 20 years ago!) with F-14, F-15, Tornado, F-104... The WWII stuff from around 1995 are all nice kits but there is very little cockpit detail in them.

Magnus