Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin seat Trainer/Fighter Campaign
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 05:13 PM UTC
Taken care of , now extended, end August 31st
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Sean, could you judge on whether a Bf 109 would be accepted for this campaign? It is not a dedicated trainer and does not have dual controls, but it is twin seat. Does the aircraft need to have dual controls and be a dedicated trainer?
kiwisoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
This build is more aimed towards the trainer side of things so the aircraft has to have two seats in it.So there for I will have to say no as all my ref. but if you could supply a photo say that it did have two seats in it I think that will be a yes.there are a lot of twin seaters that are used as fighter craft in times of war that were designed to be trainers.
If you you can't then maybe you can bash something together and make a new plane .I,m really not fussed asthe build is one of fun and to see some of the aircraft that are out there that don't get a foot hold in some of the other builds
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
OK, thanks for the quick answer, Sean.

I think I will go for the Italeri 1/48 MB trainer. I cannot remember the number of the aircraft, but it can be made as an Argentinian version. I will see if I can find in a hobby store on the net.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
I decided instead of building something from my stash for this campaign I'd order a T-28 Trojan from Squadron. Now, how to hide the credit card bills from SWMBO?

Hermon
kiwisoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
My enrty to this build will be the TA-4k Skyhawk that the R.N.Z.A.F used before they were mothballed in the late 90's.
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC
I will be building a Revell Tomcat, not sure what scale it is, as i have had it years

Cheers

Loobes
P.S. I am new here
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 84 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
I'm in with MPM's old 1/48th kit of the Fw190S.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi all

Aaagghhh! Reading this is torture for me, because I've wanted a Trainers Campaign for years - and now I'm committed up to my eyeballs so I daren't join in when one finally comes around!

Have a great Campaign - I'll be with you in spirit!

All the best

Rowan
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
I'm in with a Su-9U or a Su-17 UM3, still have to dig in my stash (I know I have one of them...)
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 04:46 PM UTC
I'm off and running with my Academy ME-163/s, but have just worked on the ground towing vehicle that comes with the kit . I hope to start work on the interior of the plane this weekend, if work doesn't interrupt once again .

Cheers,
Mike
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
waiting on getting my kit an Nardi FN 305 at least that is how its set right now. Might be an UTI-4
time will tell.
Kelly
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
I'm in! I'll do an Israeli Meteor T.7 in 1/72.

Magnus
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 03:55 PM UTC
I've decided on the Italeri 1/72 BAe Hawk Mk 100 which I picked up earlier today and will probably do up as the Aussie version. Just don't tell the SWMBO though; it was a sneaky buy
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
I started my entry tonight. T-28B U.S. Navy trainer by Monogram. Not many parts but it looks like a nice little kit so far.

Hermon
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in, although not to sure about the time frame considering I'm on holidays for most of January! Give it a shot anyway

That's fine as you can't start until February...

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi all!
With this, a little paint, and some drops of glue

I hope to accomplish this

Unfortunately, the only way to go is the ol' Heller. The kit has excellent and rather fine raised panel lines. There are a lot of surface detail, and for a long while, I thought I'd live the lines as is. After much agony, however, I decided to rescribe the aircraft. We'll see at the end if it was a good idea... Right now (having done approx 1/10) I'm not sure at all!

I'll try my very best to make this beauty justice. Since I'm going for an early NMF version of the SK 37 Viggen trainer, I'm not sure that I'll have much use of the beautiful decals from Flying Colors...

Cheers! // PolarBear!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
I will be doing a Roland C.II. Eduard Profipack.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
I finally got started on my entry last night. It is the Monogram kit of the T-28B US Navy trainer. Should have a progress pic up soon. Also hoping to write a review for this kit.

Hermon
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
I'm in too.

Even though I haven't been able to actually get much done lately, I was thinking a simple kit of a simple plane might be needed to get me finish something. So here we go, I enlisted and started yet another kit...
Let's see how this one turns out.

I chose as my entry AZ Models' VL Pyry.
Quite a tiny kit it is indeed. After clipping the parts off the sprues, I could hold the whole kit on my palm.
Here's my progress so far: parts removed from the sprue and basic clean-up done:

(Yep, the other seat has no bottom. I went through it while removing the part from the pour block and proceeded to remove the bottom altogether; much easier to replace with styrene sheet than a fill a hole)

Overall, the kit looks nice (the choice of subject couldn't be better!), but I can't help feeling a bit ambivalent. The surface detail is good on some parts (fuselage exterior, wing, most resin parts), while some look rushed: For example the landing light and exhaust collector ring feature facets resembling file marks.
Also, no control sticks and stabilator supports are provided (instructions point out to make them from scratch). Rudder pedals are also missing (with no mention in the instructions).

Seems like I got my kit from the first batch or something, because the PE fret has a funny omission. Can you spot it?

It really doesn't take an aficionado to notice, or does it?
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I
Seems like I got my kit from the first batch or something, because the PE fret has a funny omission. Can you spot it?

It really doesn't take an aficionado to notice, or does it?

Nothing missing, this is from the fifties and it probably wasn't mandatory for the rear seat occupant to buckle up!

Am I right ?

Magnus
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing missing, this is from the fifties and it probably wasn't mandatory for the rear seat occupant to buckle up!

Am I right ?

Magnus

Correct, there's only one set of seatbelts on the freat. The later boxings of the have corrected that.
I wonder if the person responsible for designing the PE took some flak...

Fortunately that an issue easily fixed. Some left-over PE straps should do the job.

Btw, does anyone have info on the control sticks in the Pyry, as I can't draw solid conclusions from my references.
The kit instructions show them both as plain and simple sticks, but all pics I've seen of the front cockpit (and that's about it, I don't remember seeing any good war-time photos of the rear cockpit) show a round spade grip.
Then there's good set of interior photos on AZ models' website, which show a spade gripped stick in the front, and a simple stick with a ball on the end in the rear.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC
Here is a quick update on my T-28 trainer. Cockpit (what little there is of it) is done. Major assembley is done and sprayed flat white. Still have a few spots here and there to fill and sand but she should be ready for paint in a day or two.

Now, don't anyone panic. I know there is only one seat in the cockpit. The other seat unfortunately is attached to a cheezy little pilot figure that I have not painted yet. The finished project will indeed include two seats.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
And here is my little T-28 wearing her yellow paint. I'd like to do a review for this kit so I'll be using the kit decals.....which seem rather thick. Anyway, should have her wrapped up in a couple of days.

Hermon
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi all!

I have decided to do a MiG-21UM in a really crazy and whacky scheme!
This is the most hilarious scheme ever done on an aircraft, the Czech "Stress-Team!

This is my kit, Trumpeter MiG-21UM Mongol in 1/32;

Out with the plastic and let the build begin!

Cheers!

Stefan E