Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin seat Trainer/Fighter Campaign
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
Jesper, thanks for clarifying the issue.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 06:56 PM UTC
With Eetu, Jesper and Stefan progressing steadily, I have to prove that I am at least touching the plastic a bit now and then as well:

Build blog is here!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:11 PM UTC
First coat of paint on!

I made my own mix of Gunze H56, H333 and H15 in proportions 4:2:1. It is hard to tell if I got it right before the whole camouflage is there but I can always adjust the colours afterwards with washes and weathering!

Build blog is here!

Magnus
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC
Looking Good, Magnus!

Looks like your Meteor is on a steady pace too!

A small and quick update on my build;

Before painting I had to do some masking!!

As usual, I started with a light grey primer.

Then, a white coat as a base for the yellow.

More to come!

Cheers!

Stefan
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermann, although I am not the campaign leader I can say with almost certainty that the plane will not qualify.

I asked the exact same question as I also wanted to enter a Bf 110 in this campaign. The answer was the Bf 110 is not truly in the spirit of the campaign as it is not a dedicated trainer or dual controls aircraft. I guess you will get the same answer.

Actually as I was going backwards through this thread, you first said you would build a Bf110, but on Dec 22 when you asked for clarification, you typed Bf109. That might be why the leader replied that it wasn't allowed.

Does the F-14 Tomcat have a stick in the back? The rules specifically count the F-14 so if it doesn't have a stick in the back I don't see why the Bf110 wouldn't count for this campaign.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
As far as I know a trainer was never made for the F-14 and the standard F-14 has no stick or controls in the back seat, so maybe the Bf 110 got rejected because I mistyped it as a Bf 109 the second time......

If the F-14 is allowed a Bf 110 should also be allowed in my opinion.

We probably need a campaign leader ruling on this one....
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
Upper surfaces finished!

I came up with my own recipes for the colours, all Gunze acrylics:

Blue is H56, H333 and H15 in proportions 4:2:1while brown is H310 with a few drops of H4 added.

Build blog is here!

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:50 PM UTC
Looks good, Magnus. Comparing the colours in your pictures to the real thing it seems they are spot on. Although as always there is large room for interpretation due to the weathering effects, so you never going to go completely wrong.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
That would be a nice sister to my old Suez-Mustang, Magnus. Will she have stripes too? Those black and yellow are nice to the pale blue and tan shades.

Tony
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
Jesper Good to hear! The camouflage colours were my main worry and there is not very much to read when it comes to paint mixes. I found some good advice here though from Dave Aungst. Have a look, that P-51 is nice!

Tony This one is a much later machine, almost ten years after Suez so no stripes! But I agree that it would look good!

More masking tape. I HATE it!

Build blog is here!

Magnus
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper Good to hear! The camouflage colours were my main worry and there is not very much to read when it comes to paint mixes. I found some good advice here though from Dave Aungst. Have a look, that P-51 is nice!

Tony This one is a much later machine, almost ten years after Suez so no stripes! But I agree that it would look good!

More masking tape. I HATE it!

Build blog is here!

Magnus

Looks like you did a good job with the camo colors to me.

i'm envious - I've wanted to do a meteor of just this type and color scheme for a long time...
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
Great job, that Meteor of yours is looking really fine. Love the camo! Just be careful with those upper canopy window masks, it seems they're starting to peel off.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Vance It doesn't come easier than this: You'll get the kit from Xtrakit, the decals from Isradecal and since I am in a generous mood tonight you can use my paint recipes for free! I'm glad you like it!

Eetu I've already noticed. In fact, I noted it already when applying the masks but since mr. Stubborn as usual don't know when it is time to throw in the towel I still used them. I could have used the masks for the flat areas and masked the top windows using BMF but I didn't... I'll probably have a bit of a window cleaning job to do, at least I use acrylics which ought to make it a bit easier at least...

Still entangled in the tape but starting to see the end of it...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
Finally camouflage is finished!

Paint mix is Gunze H334 and white in proportions 5:2 (I count drops when I mix, not very scientific but it works!).

Build blog is here!

Magnus
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as I know a trainer was never made for the F-14 and the standard F-14 has no stick or controls in the back seat, so maybe the Bf 110 got rejected because I mistyped it as a Bf 109 the second time......

If the F-14 is allowed a Bf 110 should also be allowed in my opinion.

We probably need a campaign leader ruling on this one....

The Campaign Leader hasn't been here since March. I think it's time for someone to step up and take over.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 02:30 PM UTC
For the "Speed" Campaign I build a Su-11 from A-model, it was a fitting nightmare, almost gave up.
For this one I wanted to tackle a Su-9U (almost the same model than the Su-11), same decals, same weapons, same wheels.. I've picked the other 2 seater trainer in my stash.
A Su-17 UM3 from Eastern Express, 1:72.

2 sprues + canopy. Poor detailing on the cockpit bay, terrible seats too.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi All,

I thought I may have a late run at this campaign. I will do one of my favourite aircraft, the Jet Provost. It is the ancient Airfix 1/72 offering, and will be made OOB in the colours of No.1 FTS R.A.F.

I have made a start, cockpit interior is painted, as is the instrument panel.

And a few details added to the big open space behind the pilots

Wings and horizontal stabs added.

Loads of big gaps, and lovely raised detail! I forsee lots of putty and sanding in my future. I will leave the detail raised, but sand it back so its not quite so prominant.

More gaps and raised detail

That all for now, comments and critique more than welcome.

Steve

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Steve! That must be the definition of the words "raised detail". But apart from that and the gap at the wing joint the kit doesn't look that bad at all I think!

Magnus
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hi Magnus,

It is indeed a nice little kit considering its age. The gaps aren't too bad, at least they are straight so should be fairly easy to shim. I am now considering rescribing the panel lines as they are not too complex, but still havent decided, I will see how much detail I lose when I fill the gaps.

Nice job on the Meteor, camo looks really good, can't wait to see it with some markings on.

Steve
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Steve, a nice little kit. Although I most agree with Magnus that the detail is very raised. It will probably look good when you thin it down a little.
Sometimes it is nice to go old school - I am also going old school with an old Heller kit for the French aircraft campaign.

Looking forward to see more
Danial
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
I'm not too sure where to post my submitted build but its here >> http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=forums/141127&page=1
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi Danial

Excellent build! It looks really good with an attractive camo scheme and a nice load.

You can upload your pictures HERE in the gallery for this campaign.

Thanks for participating
skyhawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Here is mine ive been plugging at for the campain... Monogram AT-6, which im going to do up as a WASP trainer from Avenger field. The model is mainly for my wife, as she has a wooden base all set for this that is signed by about half dozen actual WASPs.

Photobucket

Hope to get it finished before the campain ends!

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
Nice start, Andy. The colour of the plastic almost makes my eyes hurt though. Are you wearing sunglasses when you build? Looking forward to see more.

My Dornier 335 is finished. The kit is the Tamiya 1/48 Dornier 335A-12. It is excellent with a great fit overall. It was a joy to build and it looks very unusual in my collection. Not only because of the tandem raised cockpit, but also due to the push and pull engines.

I were planning to leave the cockpits open, but I forgot that I had basecoated the cockpit glazing in white. This means the inside of the cockpit framing looked white from the inside. Major mistake from my side. Instead of getting new masks and starting masking the inside I desided to close the cockpit. A lot can anyway be seen through the cockpit glazing.

Overall I am very satisfied with the result. I am considering including it in a diorama in the future.

Comments welcome

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
Turned out very nice!
That two-seater version looks quite peculiar when compared to the regular one. I wonder how that that extra hump in the back affected its aerodynamics?
That canopy framing looks like RLM66, is it supposed to be like that and not the exterior color(s)?

After sitting a while in the box (the kit, not me!), I finally managed to get something done about the wing of my Pyry. In the end it wasn't so tricky. Just glue the wing back in with a shim of styrene on the left side.

It's not very visible in the pic (hence the arrow) but the shim's there. To make the puttying and sanding to come as trouble-free as possible, I trimmed the shim after I glued it to the wing.

As on the first time, there was again filling ahead, for which I used milliput as before. After protecting the surrounding detail with masking tape, filling the seam was simple: apply a thin milliput "sausage" in and over the seam, smooth it down, doing the final work with a moistened q-tip.
Here's the seam after the first sanding session:

Looking quite nice, but I'll brush a coat of mr. surfacer over it, followed by some more sanding to make sure the problem area is nice & smooth.

That's it for this time.
More to come soon (I hope).