Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB for 2009 - 10!!!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 07:44 AM UTC
OK, I've finally posted my S.E.5a build. I kinda like the way it's turning out!

Here.
robasbury
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:52 PM UTC
That RNAS Pup looks sweet! Right now I'm leaning toward building "Black Arrow." My credit card is warming up...

Rob

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
As Rob has mentioned, on Feb 18, 2010 James Fahey (Jamo_Kiwi) has returned from WNW accomplishing a rather joyful bit of reconn for us here. By mid March 2010 WNW has said that 4 new kits will be released. 2 versions of the Sopwith Pup (RFC & RNAS) and 2 Albatros D. types (1@ D.V & D.Va). Nicely done James!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
D V and Va? Is there that much difference between the two? The wings were interchangable.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D V and Va? Is there that much difference between the two? The wings were interchangable.

Actually yes there was a lot of difference and the wings were not interchangable though they were the same dimmensions. The main difference lay in the routing of the aileron control cables.

In the D.V they went up from the cockpit up between the guns , through the top wing to the ailerons and were actuated by bell crank control horns that had external shrouds. The engine was the late production 170hp Mercedes D.IIIa.

In the D.Va they went through the lower fuselage sides through the lower wing to the area behind the lower end of the interplane Vee struts and exited upward to a cutout in the wing and a control bar extending from the aileron. The engine was the 180hp Mercedes D.IIIaü. Here is an image from Mark Miller's renderings. Used with his permission of course. (Another WNW artist by the way.)

The control column was different in its cable attachment points and the height of the top wing was nominally different as well.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hmm, I guess I would've preferred seeing a completely-different aircraft as part of the mix than a variant. Anxious for the Fokker D7. But thanks for the clarification, the Wikipedia article I looked at makes them sound much more similar.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 09:53 AM UTC
Guess what just showed up at my door. Yep the same four WNW kits. Life is good!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 05:18 PM UTC
As Stewie would say on "Family Guy,"

YOU BASTARD!!!

Well, don't make us wait, review 'em!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Bill, if you don't want to wait, you can make him send them to me. I wouldn't make you wait.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hey, Carl, I'm ready to DEAR: Drop Everything And Review, LOL!

If the editors are too busy with their regular tasks, I am happy to review any 1/32nd scale aircraft for 'em!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Sorry, I already had dibs on the D.V.

Let's not forget the figures that will be released soon. There is some outstanding artwork there.

Oh yeah, dibbs on those, the D.VII and the Gotha.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
Well, just as rank has its privileges, so does being an Aeroscale editor, or at least I imagine. I'm slumming over here from Armorama, so I am in the same line as you, Carl, LOL!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:58 PM UTC
Uuuhhh. . . we now have 25 enlistees in the GB. (Dibbs, dibbs - whats dibbs?) Sounds like Klingonese to me. Dibbs?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Uuuhhh. . . (Dibbs, dibbs - whats dibbs?) Sounds like Klingonese to me. Dibbs?

Actually, a little known factoid, I think: Dibbs was the Romulan Code name for the cloaking device.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
Come on guys guys, give me a break. I thought I was in the Early aviation section.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
I have been looking at all the fine builds for this group build and all the faces that are new to this site. I think this GB is an amazing success, and it has just barely started. The quality and build-ability of these kits is truely amazing. And it wont be long until the Albatros and Pup are appearing on these pages. Keep all the fine builds coming, folks.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Come on guys guys, give me a break. I thought I was in the Early aviation section.

You took a detour via a worm hole to the Twilight Zone, without your knowledge!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been looking at all the fine builds for this group build and all the faces that are new to this site. I think this GB is an amazing success, and it has just barely started. The quality and build-ability of these kits is truely amazing. And it wont be long until the Albatros and Pup are appearing on these pages. Keep all the fine builds coming, folks.

You got that right Carl: For me, the GB is a huge success, it brought me back to WWI subjects and 1/32nd scale subjects in particular. I am constantly amazed at the craftsmanship that appears on this forum by everyone who participates. The online camaraderie, the willingness to share information and techniques is truly noteworthy. I even met a former club member here, Mark Doremus, so it is truly an amazing site populated by sterling individuals. I am in awe of the talent, and I have learned a lot. Look for more as the days progress.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Looks like WNW has some more fun planned for us.

". . .As well as the four kits released in March- the Albatros DV and DVa, Sopwith Pup RFC and Sopwith Pup RNAS – the 2010 release schedule includes. . ."

Gotha G. IV
Pfalz D.IIIa
Roland D.Via
DH.9a
Hansa - Brandenburg W.29
Fokker D.VII
R.E. 8
F.E.2b
D.H. 2
“ . . .The release order will be dictated by the toolings and when we are satisfied with them. . .While those subjects are percolating through the chain, the 2011 release programme is also exciting offering subjects such as:

Fokker E.I
Fokker E.II / III
Pfalz D.XII
Rumpler C.IV

Richard”
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
I really dare not even contemplate the Gotha. me thinks my head would be removed and placed on a spike above the door by SWMBO.....but some of the others are so tempting and a DVII just has to be bought.

:)

happy daze
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC
Oh yeah.

I have been easing SWMBO slowly into the idea of having a Gotha in the display cabinet. Showing her pictures of that completed model, and profiles. If you keep showing pictures and act like you really don't want one long enough...

Mrs Captain "Why don't you build one of those?"

Mr Captain "Well, I don't know, but if you really want me to..."
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
Ummmmm I think it would take some heavy medication before that one worked on my SWMBO....

No tracking ref sent this time from WNW so Parcelforce are getting tired of the daily call asking if theres anything there for me...I Want MY Albi's
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 07:48 PM UTC
Odd I found my letter from Parcelforce on SWMBO's bedside table, dated 23-03..........seems it must have slipped hwer mind to mention it even if she doesnt know....what it is....

Anyway I'm out today but will be visiting Parcelforce's depot on the way

Expect my DVa opinions later when I've mauled the sprues
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Expect my DVa opinions later when I've mauled the sprues

It is with great aniticipation that opinions are invited.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Okay, I've mauled the sprues.....

The level of moulding and some of the detail is outstanding.

The wings....I may have to sleep with them tonight...

Some of the detail is sublime, some a little less so but from a peering into the cockpit from above point of veiw it is beautiful I imagine. So of course externally the fuselage looks wonderful.

As expected theres loads of scope for us AMD loons but it looks to build very nicely OOB at first inspection though there are a lot of ejector pin marks in the cockpit area, none of them are difficult, I was just suprised to find them there.

The tail skid is cast integrally with the fuselage right side, I can see the reasoning, getting the sit of it just right however those of us with clumsi-itis may find ourselves snapping it off. I would suggest possibly removing and repinning it with brass rod to ensure its security.

The engime looks superb, holes already in place for plug leads in both the cylinders and the tubes that carry them all you need to do is plumb the fuel lines, make the leads from distributors, construct the throttle linkage and fire her up

The Decal sheet looks superb, Registry and everything looks spot on. Evun silver has been used for dataplates, the detail is exquisite, even little bullet hole roundel patches have been supplied. After having size/scale issues with both the SE5a and the LVG I am reluctant to say more till the ink hits the plane though.

It's the easiest thing in the world to sit and say...*Now why didnt they do that this way*...I imagine we all can but there are little places where another additional part would have made things better but do that and where do you stop?

My only real dissappointment is the lack of a Lozenge option, the given options do not really appeal to me, as beautiful as Stropp is. Now where are the decal sheet boys when you need them 1/32 loz please.

So...dog to wwalk Dinner to make and eat and then.....a little tinkering...and a build blog I guess