Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB for 2009 - 10!!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 04:41 PM UTC
Ok its time to start thinking about your individual threads here. As of Oct 1, all Eduard threads will go unpinned and new threads for the WNW GB will be pinned. For continuity please follow this titling. Replace the kit type and builders name with your own needs.

WNW GB 2009 - 10 Junkers J.I - Stephen

All similarly titled docs will be pinned. I will come back with an posting in your thread that leads back to the Campaign link and at the Campaign title I will link back to your build thread here at Early Aviation. At the end I will build a collage of our images in several posts on the Campaign thread. Now I will be looking for a wingman as it were to fill in case I win the lottery and head down to the Bahamas.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
Now is the time that we should be thinking about a ribbon. For obvious reasons we will want a clear easy to see emblem. What I need is a silhouette of a white Kiwi on a red background to start. Anyone care to contribute? I will modify the ribbon and brand the letters WNW on the Kiwi. Or I could go with four picklehaublets on a ribbon of hunter green?
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now is the time that we should be thinking about a ribbon. For obvious reasons we will want a clear easy to see emblem. What I need is a silhouette of a white Kiwi on a red background to start. Anyone care to contribute?

Well if there is a kiwi member here it should come from one of them. How does this one look Stephen?

I am a newby here at AeroScale but your GB sounds fun. Now that I have finished my LVG I am planning to start the WNW Bristol F2b.

Happy Modelling
James
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Well if there is a kiwi member here it should come from one of them. How does this one look Stephen?

I am a newby here at AeroScale but your GB sounds fun. Now that I have finished my LVG I am planning to start the WNW Bristol F2b. . .

Happy Modelling
James"

Now thats a Kiwi! James, Thanks for the image and you are most welcome to the GB! James Fahey was the first modeler down under handed this kit directly from WNW own GM. You will note that James was also the first fellow to give us the scoop on Wellington's Model Expo and the WNW releases. Furthermore he is an exceptional modeler! The evidence is in the kit above. I smell a feature on the horizon.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi all
WW1 newbie here,I normally build clanky tanks,but after seeing David Parkers build of WNW LVG C.VI in Air modeller mag(issue 25) I had to have one.(this could be the start of something!!!)
The last WW1 a/c I built was the Revell camel for my sons bedroom ceiling,and before that was the 1/8 Hasegawa SE5a for a friend!
I hope you dont mind me enlisting in your GB/ campaign,if you dont,be prepared for some daft questions
Andy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
Welcome to the GB!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
Now for a ribbon I was thinking. . .

As of Sept. 21 2009 the ribbon will be based on Jean-Luc's art work.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

I fear not much will be visible when the ribbon is scaled down to 50 X 20 pixels...

What do you think of this one?

50 X 20 pixels version...

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:14 PM UTC
I like it better than the first!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
just wants to point out that Kiwi's are actually flightless.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just wants to point out that Kiwi's are actually flightless.

So are 1:32 scale kits if you don't sling them across the room at high velocity.

Per the "Laws of Modeling 101", ". . .law #17.) Tossing a finished, expensive model kit against the furthest wall in your basement at 90mph is the most sincerest form of self-criticism. But doesn't live up to the acclaimed rush that is supposed to follow. . ."

(The second most quoted law in the list.)
One-Oh-Four
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hello all!

I'd like to join in with a build of WNW's SE.5a. I still don't understand much of the lay-out / workings of the site but yesterday evening I have "enlisted". As I understand it I have to make some sort of headline in the Campaign-forum on this Group-build?

Anyhow, I'm still not sure of finishing this one as an interned Dutch aircraft of a nightfighter of 61 HD Sqn. Those checkers look the part!

Cheers,
Erik.
One-Oh-Four
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So far we have interest from;

1. Stephen T. Lawson CALLSIGN: JackFlash with a Junkers J.I
2. Terri Werner CALLSIGN: thegirl with a ?
3. Keith Graveson CALLSIGN: Kornbeef with a Fok. D.VII and or Albie D,Va & SE5a 85% done, LVG about 50% done
4. Carl Althaus CALLSIGN: CaptainA with an Albatros D.V
5. Mark Hamrick CALLSIGN: guitarlute101 with a LVG C.VI, FE2b and Gotha.
6. Lars Qvarfordt CALLSIGN: Repainted with a Bristol Figther
7. Hugh CALLSIGN: MerlinV with an RE 8 or Pup?
8. Steve Manchur CALLSIGN: stugiiif with ?
9. Matt Cusimano CALLSIGN: mvfrog with an SE 5a.
10. Warren Inman CALLSIGN: warreni with a choice of four to build.
11. Bill Cross CALLSIGN: bill_c with an SE 5a.
12. Dwayne Williams (CALLSIGN: Dwaynewilly0 with an Albatros D.V

And maybe one more. For now its enough. I'll work it up and post it in the Air Campaigns section. Then I'll post the "go-ahead" here too.

14. Erik Bosch CALLSIGN: One-Oh-Four with an SE.5a

Lucky 13 was Nico!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Ten days until the official start, and I still don't have an Albatros winging its way across the Pacific. So will it be an LVG, or a SE5a? Or should I wait for an unknown release date?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
You don't have to build just one in a year. Its whatever you can do.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:57 AM UTC

Gentle folk of the Group Build there are 13 Warriors signed up so far and this (after much high level discussion) is the winner. Behold the Blood Order of the KiwI! Thanks, in no small part to our Good man Jean-Luc!

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hello Erik,

Welkom. Nice idea to do a Dutch interened SE5a. Ik only do not recall this Dutch example has a night fighter scheme. As far as I know it had a standard RFC scheme. Life has been made easy for you cause Dutch Decals just released a 32nd scale decals sheet for Dutch ww1 aircraft also containing the SE5a (but you may already know this). I am doing the SE5a as well, but will turn it into an RFC one.

At a recent IPMS meeting I already saw a built SE5a WNW with these Dutch decals:

(it had no rigging done, so that makes building it rather quick of course)

Groeten, Nico
One-Oh-Four
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Nico,

It indeed didn't have a nightfighter scheme! I'm still undecided which scheme to do; DutchDecals' Dutch example (a bit boring, but Dutch).

I'm looking forward to see your SE at Euro Scale Modelling! I hope you'll enter it in the competition. I'm one of the people of the competition comittee so have next to no time to look around at the rest of the show!

Cheers,
Erik.

One-Oh-Four
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentle folk of the Group Build there are 13 Warriors signed up so far and this (after much high level discussion) is the winner. Behold the Blood Order of the KiwI! Thanks, in no small part to our Good man Jean-Luc!

That one's looking real good!
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hello,

hereby my last update of my SE5a before this G/B starts:

So, this is the stage at which my WNW kit is at for the beginning of the groupbuild. I already rigged some parts using RB Production's Streamlined Wire. This worked really fine! Something which I cannot say about their Wire Terminals. I had a go at these, but were far to fiddley and vulnerable for me.

This weekend I am of to Portugal for a holiday, so when the G/B actually starts no comments from me during the first week.

Greetings, Nico
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
I still plan on taking part in the build! My hope is the Albatros DV is imminent! ?????

RAGIII
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
Rick,

I'm with you on that one. In fact I already signed onto the GB and said I was doing the D.V!!! I just hope they
come out with it in enough time. There is talk that the pending Windsock may have some info about the next
release dates. I love starting rumors! In any event I have the first 4 and I'm sure I can find the inspiration to
complete one of those should Wingnuts not have the next batch out in time. I am not really sweating the next
release, all I want is for them to be every bit as good as the first bunch. That will surely put a smile on my face.

Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 08:04 PM UTC
We are live with the Group Build! Our man James Fahey has noted;
". . .Vol 25 #5 Sep/Oct issue is due any day now, and its going to be full of Wingnut stuff. Second batch of releases. If you're not a subscriber you should consider buying it as a one-off. Implication is the kits are not far away. . . "

"Volume 25 No.5 – Sept/Oct 2009. Another landmark edition of WINDSOCK Worldwide is now available! Our wide-ranging interviews with Peter Jackson and Richard Alexander of Wingnut Wings reveal not only the secrets behind their astonishing range of 1:32 scale kits, but also offer tantilizing glimpses of even more exciting new models to come! Also in this all-colour edition, a super-detailed look at a 100% accurate Spad XIII repro’ built in the USA, Albatros G.III and KuK Phönix D.III plans features, Lance Krieg continues his popular modelling series with more ‘enginuity’, and we witness an engine run on a repro’ Austrian OEF fighter! All these, plus detailed book and kit reviews make this a stand-out issue not to be missed!

Another classic edition and it’s available now from Albatros and selected outlets worldwide!

Windsock Vol 25 #5

One-Oh-Four
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
October 1st! I have started my topic! I haven't got any in-progress pics yet, but at least the topic is up!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 04:12 PM UTC
Well the billets have been built and the mess hall is stocked. the class rooms are finished and the start house is operational. See it here.