_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
La Marseillaise Campaign
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe, but you can't compare a Bugatti 100P model with a Latécoère 298 model..

Hi Jean-Luc

I guess so, but I know you'll always show me a clean pair of heels, even if we start together and build identical kits! We should try that one day for real giggle! But the Laté has been really interesting - if, perhaps, a little bit over-ambitious to try to build in a rush. I've learned a lot from it, especially that I can't rely on always getting away with my slapdash approach - this definitely is a project where a LOT more planning and forethought would have paid dividends!

Anyway, I got the basic topsides camo on today, so I'll aim for another light coat to even things up and, hopefully, the decals tomorrow. Having missed my target, and with Vance kindly giving us all an extension, I'm in no rush anymore, and I'm taking a bit of light relief by tinkering with my Luft '46 Flitzer. That's much more akin to your Bugatti - and I'm just going for a simple build so I can have a bit of fun with the camouflage.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

... slapdash approach

I have learned something new today... despite the "slapdash approach", it looks great!

I made some progress on my "easy Bugatti". The panel lines have been cleaned and darkened with some tinted Klir. On the fuselage sides, I have glued the two exhausts parts which needed some blending with white glue for a better finish. I have also completed the cockpit interior. It doesn't look too bad at all with the parts provided in the kit. Only the silver upper panel with the red triangle had to be scratchbuilt because Planet Models forgot to include it. The seat looks nice but I'm not sure if it is accurate, it looks very small! I also had to add a 1mm plastic roundel between the spinner and the airframe because the former was too small...

Here are detail shots of the cockpit. The seat belts are already molded on the seat...

The dashboard looks very nice and is very close to the real thing. A drybrush is really only what is needed to reveal the details. The control stick looks cool but the real one is different... oh well...

To finish the model I have to add the undecarriage, the propeller blades and the canopy. The latter will represent the biggest challenge of the kit...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

The dry-brushing (and wash?) on the instrument panel looks fantastic! Are you going to add a few wires out of the back of the instruments too? The control column actually looks like Planet Models have used a machine-gun barrel to save time... (the pilot's seat in my Azur Laté has clearly been taken from an Fw190 kit )

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

Are you going to add a few wires out of the back of the instruments too?

I didn't wanted to, but now that you've mentionned it I guess I have no other choice. I don't think it will prevent me from finishing before you though... you have to find something else to keep me busy longer!

You are probably right about the control stick!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Very nice model!

but one question: would this be flown be Douglas Bader or H.U. Rudel? maybe wood legs can be adjusted to fit under the dash ... well, at least it looks strange to my eye .... guess your own kit would have been even better

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I thought it looked a bit cramped too! Checking photos of the restored cockpit, I think Planet Models have made the panel sit too deep below the side "ledges" and maybe too close to the seat. This is from Air Venture Museum:

All the best

Rowan
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi Vanize. here is my Mirage 2000, 1/48. is the Heller kit and Revell decals, Before any one start shooting at me for the flaps, let me tell you that when you have a hammer in your hands, everything looks like a nail to you. That day all look normal, until the mail arrive with my brand new jewelers saw; Boy!! was that a massacre? But the next time I will check references first, Promise.

Happy Modeling

Byron
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 01:14 PM UTC
Here it is:

Nice Campaign, really great modellers.

Byron
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi Byron,

Very Nice Mirage 2000! the Tiger sheme looks great...

I have finished my entry...

I think I will write a feature about it so I will save the last build comments and the conclusion for it...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
Nice one, Byron and Jean-Luc

They both look stunning!

I'll really look forward to reading the full build-notes on the Bugatti, because it's a kit I definitely want t o tackle myself one day.

All the best

Rowan
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hey all,

I have distributed awards to all who have finished, and will continue to do so as more entries get completed.

HOWEVER, out of 14 finished entries, only FIVE of you have uploaded images into the campaign gallery!

get 'em uploaded people - it's in the rules of the campaign. don't make me take your ribbons back!

the gallery can be found here
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi Vance,

Thanks for the ribbon!

I have uploaded three pictures of my Bugatti in the Campaign Gallery. Thank you for your efforts on the "La Marseillaise" Campaign and good luck to those who are still building to get theit "Tricolore"...

Jean-Luc
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Vance,

Thanks for the effort in organizing the campaign... this is the first campaign I completed in Aeroscale... pretty sure there are more to come...
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hey Vance, I followed the link posted, and uploaded the photo's of my Hanriot into the "La Marseillaise" campaign folder. Thanks for your efforts on making this a fun and rewarding campaign experience, my first here on Aeroscale.
Mo
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it's in the rules of the campaign. don't make me take your ribbons back!

Huy!!! so scary!!!

Thanks for this campaign, I have this kit in my "To Do" list long ago; Now, where did I left that Esci Mirage III.

Byron
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
Nice couple of finished entries lately! Hope to follow you soon...

Work continues!

Build blog can be found here!

Magnus
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi again Vance

Thanks for your patience. I'm getting there, but I'm afraid all is less than happy in Latéland:

I've started applying the decals. They look great on the sheet and are lovely and thin, they adhere well and seem to be snuggling down nicely, but the white backing for the roundels is too small and offset somewhat, leaving ugly fringes.

And...

The effing floats are coming adrift again! This is the umpteenth time and each repair is getting harder to disguise. I was originally thinking this would make a nice unusual subject for the Frontpage, but I don't think it'll stand up to close scrutiny. I'll get it finished and then it'll go firmly to the back of the shelf (if it doesn't "accidentally" fall into the rubbish bin on the way... ).

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC
Talking of being cursed ... Rowan I think we could team up ....

I am about to glue all the smaller parts to my Super Etendard (Airfix 1/48) that I want to go on before the last primer layer/ paint .. well, I am missing another part and I have no idea how it should look thus there is no chance to scratch build it (if that is possible at all)
So if anyone has Part 6 from this darn kit as a spare, could make a copy or at least could take a picture or two so I can see what this crappy thing is all about ...

Darn french stuff ...

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I totally sympathize! I am beginning to hate the sight of the Laté 298! But it'll no doubt do me good to see the build through to the bitter end...

All the best

Rowan
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,

I have distributed awards to all who have finished, and will continue to do so as more entries get completed.

HOWEVER, out of 14 finished entries, only FIVE of you have uploaded images into the campaign gallery!

get 'em uploaded people - it's in the rules of the campaign. don't make me take your ribbons back!

Sorry!!! I have my doubts about finishing my SAAF Mirage III CZ anytime soon, but I'm trying!

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the umpteenth time and each repair is getting harder to disguise. I was originally thinking this would make a nice unusual subject for the Frontpage, but I don't think it'll stand up to close scrutiny. I'll get it finished and then it'll go firmly to the back of the shelf (if it doesn't "accidentally" fall into the rubbish bin on the way...

Sorry Merlin. I hate to laugh but it's great to see more experienced modelers frustrated from time to time. It's actually inspiring to me to know that I'm not the only one who has had a hate-hate relationship with a kit.

Hermon
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi Hermon

Don't worry - I've had a few laughs at my own expense out of this one myself! If you ever meet a modeller who says they never have trouble with anything - don't believe them!

This build has taught me a LOT about the value of planning things properly!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hi Vance

Well, I am a good month behind the schedule, and I do not know if it still counts. I am just happy that I have this project finished.

Build thread

and a picture (more are in the build thread --- I do not think I have enough space on my account left to upload 3 pix in the campaign gallery)

all the best

Steffen
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
Not a problem in my book - looks great!

can you upload a couple of your pics into the campaign gallery?

Ribbon coming.

Quoted Text

Hi Vance

Well, I am a good month behind teh schedule, and i do not know if it still counts. I am just happy that I have this project finished.

Build thread

and a picture more are in the build thread (I do not think I have enough space on my account left to upload 3 pix in the campaign gallery)

all the best

Steffen

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a problem in my book - looks great!

can you upload a couple of your pics into the campaign gallery?

Ribbon coming.

Many thanks Vance!

I have the ribbon in my profile

The problem with the campaign gallery is, that it eats up my space instead of a "neutral" space and my quota is almost full. Even if I would upload them now I will have to delete them soon. But the pix in the thread are on my server and I do not intend to remove them. I think I am not the only one with this problem as I have read several such posts over the time. Maybe it is possible to provide campaign storage? ... and befor you ask, I just store pictures that I use for Aeroscale/kitmaker posts (no external links!)

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP