_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
La Marseillaise Campaign
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
It being May 8, It is the start of the campaign that is a salute to French aircraft - La Marseillaise

hopefully I've got the banner for the title correct.

Again, I'll be doing one of these:

but won't be getting going till June.

Please post build updates here, or at least link over to your threads. And don't forget to get photos of the finished product in the
campaign gallery

(Can an administrator tack this thread please?)
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 12:02 PM UTC
Its about time to kick off the campaign and I don't know what happened but I've got this thing for building WWII French aircraft all of a sudden. It started with the Bloch MB 155 that I'm building for the Stripes campaign. Now I have a shelf stacking with french planes. So here are the two kits that I' going to build for this campaign:

Here's the Bloch I've already waded into for the Stripes campaign:

Bwahahaa, there. now we've finally got this thread on track.
Say, care to give us a peek at the d501 kit out of the box? If the kit is nice I might have to add it to the stash.

Cheers,
Fred
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
I've been looking forward to the start of this, it fits in with my sudden urge in 2008 to build some colourful Mirages. As with most 'urges', there's always a catch. In this case, the availability of the Airfix / Heller 2000C and 2000B/n kits.

This is my only two seater kit in the stash and this is the aircraft I will be building.

Here's the obligatory shot of 'Le Bits'. The standard Airfix kit will have the renaissance cockpit set and aircraft detailing set, a pair of resin drop tanks and, without which the model would be stillborn, those excellent Syhart Xfers.

Have to clear the decks of my Dragon Bf110 first though.

IAN
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 07:42 PM UTC
Here's my choice:

I started working on the cockpit, not much detailing but good fitting.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:42 PM UTC
John I am sorry but Tempest is british aircraft. It should be french built aircraft, french markings on foreign aircraft don't count.

I am building a finnish Morane Saulnier M.S 406 for this campaign. I just need to clear my WIP models desk first.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm majorly over-stretched with campaigns, but I couldn't say no to this one. I'll bekeeping things small in order to have a quick build (famous last words ...)

I'll be throwing together a Rafale from Revell in 1/144:

All the best,

Mike.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's my choice:

I started working on the cockpit, not much detailing but good fitting.

Yeah, sorry John, the campaign is for French produced aircraft, though they can have other nationality markings - but the rules specifically state no aircraft solely produced by other nations, even if they are in French markings.

I hope you haven't invested too much time in your Tempest (though I am sure there are other campaigns it will qualify for), and that you can find something French-made for this one.
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi, I'm very new here, but I'm very keen to join the fun. I'm not very good (seriously, that's no false modesty) but I'll do my best!
Anyway, a quick trip to the nearest hobby shop found me this baby:-

And a look at the sprues:-

It's classic Airfix, basically. Raised panel lines, not too many parts, almost no interior. But it is an aircraft I like, so I'm inspired. I've had some bad experiences with Airfix 'brown-backing' decals (they disintegrate), so I think I might get some after-market decals. Otherwise, I'll go OOB.
Right, I'm off to wash the plastic, then look at some photos on airliners.net!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, I'm very new here, but I'm very keen to join the fun. I'm not very good (seriously, that's no false modesty) but I'll do my best!
Anyway, a quick trip to the nearest hobby shop found me this baby:-

And a look at the sprues:-

It's classic Airfix, basically. Raised panel lines, not too many parts, almost no interior. But it is an aircraft I like, so I'm inspired. I've had some bad experiences with Airfix 'brown-backing' decals (they disintegrate), so I think I might get some after-market decals. Otherwise, I'll go OOB.
Right, I'm off to wash the plastic, then look at some photos on airliners.net!

Hi Simon,

I am very interested in your build, as I have wanted to do a Mirage F.1CZ ever since I lived in South Africa 5 years ago. Even though I work in 1/48, this will be interesting to me. Have you seen the really cool South African camo schemes for this bird?

this is the one I am really keen on:

I have some fairly unique references (only printed/distributed in South Africa) on the South African F1s. If you are interested, let me know.

Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Ok, no problem.
I'll have to find something else.
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Simon,

I am very interested in your build, as I have wanted to do a Mirage F.1CZ ever since I lived in South Africa 5 years ago. Even though I work in 1/48, this will be interesting to me. Have you seen the really cool South African camo schemes for this bird?

this is the one I am really keen on:

I have some fairly unique references (only printed/distributed in South Africa) on the South African F1s. If you are interested, let me know.

The South African option in the box (described as '206' of 3 squadron South African Air Force, Waterkloof, 1980s) is quite different to that, with much more camo colouring. But I want nothing to do with Airfix decals, so I've ordered this from Hannants:-

Looks to have quite a selection. Hopefully it will get here before long.
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
Made a start on the Mirage today. I honestly looked long and hard at the idea of scratching together some kind of tub to go into the cockpit - but there's just so little space in there once the seat goes in that for a man of modest talents such as myself, it just didn't seem worth it. Fortunately the predominant colour for the interior is black, so I just turned the inside into the black hole of Calcutta and done with. Tried to dry brush some detail into the dash and seat, and I did scratch some harnessing out of foil and ejection hoops out of wire. Put the fuselage together as best I could, but I've still had to put squadron white all the way around the seam. Ah well.... Not bad for a days work.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 06:19 PM UTC
Now that the time has arrived i've actually lost interest in my original planned subject choice- HB's Mirage IIIC. Instead i'm going to do a Nieuport 17 from Eduards Weekend Kit. I'm not sure yet if i'll go for the box decal option or use one of several other options i have sitting in the spare decal box- the Polish option i have looks interesting.

I'll be able to make a start now whilst i'm experiencing down time on the Carrier campaign Skua.

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
Here's the first progress report on my Nieuport 17 for this campaign. Nothing much to comment upon for this one, very straight forward model to build in it's weekend version. Though to build the kit decal option accurately then don't do what the kit tells you and use the overwing Lewis gun. The aircraft was fitted with a Vickers in front of the cockpit, luckily i have a spare from another kit.

Primer on and ready for the colour, but this is a fill in build at the moment for those times i'm waiting for something on the SH Skua.

Andrew
bobman331
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
is it okay if i put the aiplane in a diorama, cus i have a ms 502 with utterly destroyed landing gear,(my cat is responsible for that,) and i wanted to make a crash scene. i still need to decal and paint the bird though.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Any thoughts on cockpit interior colors for WW2 era Dewoitines? I've heard "blue grey" or "grey" or even "dark blue". The remaining examples I have color photos of are predominantly black. (but I'm unsure if this is due to careless restoration or is intentional.)

Did the french have anything close to a standardized interior color or did each manufacturer have its own ideas on the matter?

The biggest challenge is that there are so few examples of some of these birds in existence..

Cheers,
Fred
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any thoughts on cockpit interior colors for WW2 era Dewoitines? I've heard "blue grey" or "grey" or even "dark blue". The remaining examples I have color photos of are predominantly black. (but I'm unsure if this is due to careless restoration or is intentional.)

Did the french have anything close to a standardized interior color or did each manufacturer have its own ideas on the matter?

The biggest challenge is that there are so few examples of some of these birds in existence..

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred!

Dark blue is most likely correct. With dark I mean VERY dark, like USN Midnight Blue with a drop of black in it. Another paint used for internal parts was "chamois" that was a light-brown colour, it refers to chamois-leather so the paint match is easily found! This was as far as I understand used predominantly in places like the wheel wells and on the inner sides of wheel well doors but I think it sometimes was used in cockpits as well. I went for dark blue on both of my D.520s.

The French had standardized colours but the schemes they were applied in seem to have varied wildly with the production unit or maybe even down to the individual painter (no D.520 seem to look like the other for instance...).

Magnus
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC
The Nieuport is done already. Not much to mention for this kit really, one of the simpler WW1 builds, especially in this weekend edition- i think i could have even finished it in a weekend if i wasn't occupied with another project at the same time.
These weekend kits are great if you have already built one of the limited edition kits, like i have, and still have some nice decals left over to use. And you can still buy the etched sets if you want.

It represents the Nieuport 17 of Rene Dorme. This aircraft may have been fitted with a penetrator spinner at some time, but not in the pics i've seen. Eduards box art also show it with clear panels in the wing above the cockpit, but again- i can't see this in any of the pics of this or aircraft in the same Squadron. But i admit i didn't research very deeply either.
Looking at it objectively now, i think i should have mixed some grey in to tone down the aluminium... i sort of thought that the flat varnish would tone it down a bit more than it did.

Andrew

Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Nice attractive scheme. Well done.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 08:01 PM UTC
Beautiful finish Andrew. Well done.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice build, Andrew. It looks really nice.

That must be the first entry for this campaign. I have not even started yet....
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys!

Jesper: yes it was a quick build, in fact i built it entirely in one week during periods of waiting for the filler to set on the Blackburn Skua Airedale Navy build. No point sitting there watching filler set...

Andrew
bobman331
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:40 AM UTC
well, here is my build. its a crashed Moraine Saunier ms 502.

it got covered in dust by me tring to clean up my room but in reality just kicking up cluds of dust. lol is not old.
its the old airfix kit with decals from the academy one that a freind gave to me (the decals, not the kit.) and engine from the spares box. this model had been half built for a while.
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Well the arrival of some decals brought the Mirage F1 back to the front of the workbench. Finished off the main assembly (note the use of filler of about every join line!)

And I even had time to throw some paint on (don't look too close, I had a few problems! I'll try and touch up a bit).

Decals and the fiddly stuff to do.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Looks good, Simon. The camouflage looks good to me.

Looking forward to see more
 _GOTOTOP