Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Big Beautiful Bombers Campaign
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 04:08 PM UTC
A fine model to have in your collection Sir PE takes lots of patience and wall bashings to get use to.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
Nice looking He 177 Grief, Raj. Very attractive camouflage.

Thanks for sharing
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
Sorry for lack of updates from me. The past week Ive been working on leg movement as my leg was released from its cast just over a week ago. Today the Mossie will be getting some paint on it and I will get some pics of how it goes
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi all, I was wondering if I would be able to contribute this to the campaign? I know this is the tanker version, but it was a bomber once. I originally built this kit in 1987 or thereabouts and remember thinking it was the coolest model I had ever built at the time. I recently saw this one online so I just had to build it again.

Cheers,

Grant

camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Once the paint is dry I can mask off and get the black on

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Looking good Sam. Congrats on getting your cast off. Now you can scratch your leg easier.. Been there, done that and that was the first thing I did when mine came off, along with wash the living snot out of it. Amazing how nasty those things can become over time. Glad you are on the mend. Looking forward to seeing more progress on the Mossie. "Q"
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 02:43 AM UTC
Nice progress on the Mossie, Sam. Good to hear you are recovering.

Grant, I am not the campaign chief on this one, but I would have to say it does not apply for this campaign being a tanker aircraft unless you build it as a bomber. However, the campaign leader might think differently.

Grant, I know how you feel about these old kits. True nostalgia! We are just gathering support for a Matchbox nostalgia campaign here on Aeroscale, so if nothing else you can use it in that campaign when it starts. HERE is the tread for the nostalgia campaign
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi Jesper, the Matchbox campaign sounds like a fine idea. I had thought about making the appropriate mods to convert the Victor, but I really wanted to build it straight from the box. Maybe it would be best to save the kit to see if that campaign goes ahead.

Grant
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC

Hi all!

A quick look in the box before the build commences!

Like a squirrel just before winter, I have collected all the ”goodies” I’ll need for my build!

This kit comes in the usual big, sturdy Revell/Monogram box with a proper lid, and contains three very large (fills the entire box) sprues, molded in a silver/grey plastic;

…Another sprue, not quite as large in black plastic;

It’s a 30cm (1 Foot) ruler at the bottom of a few pics, just to show you the sheer seize of this kit!

The last sprue is the clear one;

This was badly scratched in places, so I have gotten replacements from Squadron (vac-formed).

Some parts had come loose during transit;

Drawing, decals and a leaflet written by Shep Paine with some excellent advice about the build, a vey nice touch!

A few detail shots;

This box contains around 150 parts, some flash, but the molding and quality belies the age of this kit!

Some of my references;

I still have a few parts to get before I can start the build!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi all,
I've been also working on my entry for some time, but have to say that it wasn't my priority on the workbench. Anyway I made some progres.

I cut out the air intakes

and the exhausts

The nose needed some rescribing

Tail-gunners sections also glued in place. It will be painted soon.

I couldn't resist upgrading the tail guns

and the ring of the ball and upper turrets. Their fit was very slack and nedded a thin plastic rings to be added. I'm pretty sure I would be mad for myself for not doing that after joining the fuselage halves.

I hope to show more progress next time, maybe with the closed fuselage...Thanks for watching.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:10 PM UTC
A lot of beautiful projects in this tread. Thanks for sharing your updates, guys.

Somehow there seems to be a lot of B-17s in this campaign. I will try to find something different. Maybe a JU 86 as one of the early bombers.

Looking forward to see more
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
Maybe it's because the B-17 is one of the biggest

For me personaly it was the only model which I had in the stash which qualified for this campaign.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:55 PM UTC
I can build one if you want Jesper.. I built a model that was physically big, the 1/32 Mosquito, rather than big in real life. Maybe a WW1 bomber might have been a good choice? I have 4 Roden ones here but I could never finish one of those before the deadline..
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
The B-17 is surely a great choice for this campaign. Very iconic along the lines of Lancasters and B-52s.

Warren, that WWI bomber might be a good idea, but just the rigging would take months! I can understand why that is not a choice for you this time.

I will probably go for the JU 86 bomber myself. I have two old Italeri kits in the stash of the early version with Legion Condor decals.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:02 AM UTC
OK, I'm not committing to anything here, but I have a question. Is anyone doing a B-58 for this shindig? I ALMOST hope someone says "yes", but I have this strange desire to dust off the big Revell/Monogram kit and start scribing.

Sigh, maybe instead of committing I ought to BE committed. So, is anyone signed up with one?

Michael (yeah Matt, it's me)
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I'm not committing to anything here, but I have a question. Is anyone doing a B-58 for this shindig? I ALMOST hope someone says "yes", but I have this strange desire to dust off the big Revell/Monogram kit and start scribing.

Mate, build what you want to build! It is your choice!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
I should be starting decalling Mossie tomorrow Ive been at work this week (well Monday and today first week back in six months) I spent nearly all day yesterday sleeping recovering from Monday

Ive been working on Mossie aswell as 3 other campaign entries so sorry for the lack of updates and pics but Im still working on it
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
Count me in. Just started a 1/48 B-26 Marauder by Revell. Should have plenty of time to finish it.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC
Here is my build. B-26 Marauder:
Base Coat (primer gray spray)

First interior paint (Tamiya Yellow Green)

Masked and ready for second interior paint (satin Italian olive spray)

Forgot to take a picture, but here it is with the Italian olive

Pilot and navigator's seats

Overall cabin

Detailed cabin, I used some metallic gray to simulate heavy use areas and mixed a couple of drops of yellow to yellow green to break up the control boxes

I intend to use Eduard's color interior PE to dress up the control panel and will be using Express Mask to paint the glass pieces. Really enjoying this build.
-Matt
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC
Built a full crew from figs included and some spare ones

Soon as it's done raining in the Sunshine State, I should be able to finish the exterior. I retired at 27 and have little better to do than build.
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
This is my first campaign. I am only just back into the hobby so I am going to keep it simple. I found this on ebay, and thought it might be fun. I will need some new decals I think. The interior is a bit sparse as well, so I'll play around with some scratch building.

The squares are about 25 mm to a side to get an idea of size.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:44 AM UTC
Welcome to the campaign, Jeremy and Matt.

Matt, your crew looks great. Did that bomber captain just score a direct hit?

Nice choice, Jeremy. Your decals might still work despite having that "worn out" look to them. You can test a decal from the sheet you do not need to see if they work. Looking forward to follow your build.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC
That is the way the captain came with the kit. I am assuming that he is supposed to be using a lever. However, that detail has been left out of the kit. I may pull him and bend his arm to look like he is reaching for the wheel. Unfortunately, I must hold off on further building until I get the Eduard interior PE parts. I am considering scratch building a bulk-head between the cabin and the bombadier's compartment to add to authenticity.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
Matt, My old AMT B-26 had a bulkhead for the bombadier's compartment. It featured an oval opening in front of the co-pilot's seat. Hve no idea of the accuracy, but it made some sense. Good luck with this build.
Dezzyno1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi guys

Is it too late to join this campaign, i got given an old 1/48 Revell B-25J Mitchell and want to put it to good use

cheers