_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Close Air Support Campaign proposal
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hello people,
Is anyone interested in a campaign for air support aircraft? Im very interested in everyones feedback so that we all have a say in the guidelines.
Im thinking currently that all eras if aircraft could be covered,and scale could range through the most popular ones ...1:72 to 1:32..(unless someone has a REALLY big kit to do... Who is with me? Im considering a proposed start date of January 2010
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello people,
Is anyone interested in a campaign for air support aircraft? Im very interested in everyones feedback so that we all have a say in the guidelines.
Im thinking currently that all eras if aircraft could be covered,and scale could range through the most popular ones ...1:72 to 1:32..(unless someone has a REALLY big kit to do... Who is with me? Im considering a proposed start date of January 2010

I couldn't do it till the second half of the year. It'll be a AccMin Il-2 single seater though.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:21 AM UTC
Right now im totally flexible on the start date as I am up to my armpits in projects also..
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Does this mean I have to steal another news paper from work Jim?

Heck yeah I'm in. Would appreciate a later start date too as I'm also in 3 or 4 hundred campaigns.

Hermon
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
sounds good ...im totally flexible about a start date..mabe we should look at June 2010?..any input?..Id like to encompass all eras and include rotary-wing aircraft also..(I love attack helicopters..mabe Ill give up on the Stuka Idea and do a Russian Hind ...
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:57 AM UTC
I would definitely be into joining this campaign. starting in June would be good - and running at least 6 months.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
June works great for me Jim. Also, before it gets kicked off you may want to go ahead get more specific. I mean, now days CAS would include F-18's using smart bombs. I lean more towards traditional CAS like the old A-10 or Skyraider.
Anyway, just something to think about. I'm on board either way.

Hermon
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
Well and truly in with this one; was only thinking about this very idea last night! I think it should be dedicated CAS only
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 08:32 PM UTC
How about if you are doing something multirole like a F-18 or a P-47 it must be loaded up for CAS.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
Well,if I can remember how to count properly that makes 5 now ...half way home fellas! I have a sneaky feeling Bruce will want to sign up too so thats 6 ..lol
Are there any objections if we make this build dedicated ground attack aircraft?
Thats a good rule JP...ground attack marks and conversions could definitely work also ..
I dont mind having rotary wing inluded ..how do you guys feel?
I think that we will look at starting no earlier than June 2010 now ..
I was thinking about a 10 month duration for the campaign..it gives people plent of time when life gets in the way of modelling
My goodness,the Skyraider!...what a great choice ....wasnt that one of the last great piston engine warplanes?...Im also thinking a likely candidate would be a Sea Fury, as its pedigree is Typhoon and FW190 ...and it saw plenty of CAS action in Korea..
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC
I'm in. I think we shouldn't include jabos but stick with traditional CAS (IL-2, stuka, A-10, A-1, SU-25). Still, I would allow purposely built CAS versions of fighters to be allowed. (For instance not to allow Fw 190 A-8 with bombs but to allow Fw 190 F-8)

Jan 2010 is bad time to start, it has already 3(?) campaigns starting. Maybe on 2nd quarter of 2010?

Mhm.. Hs 129..
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:46 AM UTC
Count me in, I'll find something for this one !

Cheers, D
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 01:52 AM UTC
ok thats 7/8!...3/2 more to go ..
yes ,later in 2010 is sounding like the way to go here ..
purpose built CAS aircraft...including CAS versions, and rotary wing (by this i mean Huey Cobra,Apache, Hind,etc..
skyhawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
ill add my name to the count!

maybe with a A-1, AU-1...

I think you should include aircraft that did get used for a true CAS mission, not just bombs on wing...
for instance, a USMC F-4B with zunis and dasiy cutter MK82s...that stuff is only for CAS
Same with a F-18D with rocket pods (again USMC birds)
Basicly, if you think about it, the USMC no longer has any dedicated CAS aircraft and has used what it has in inventory (F-18, F-4, A-4, etc) for the mission.
for fixed wing, once the OV-10 was retired, all thats left to do CAS is F/A-18 and choppers

just a thought.
Andy
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
...the main thing is to build models we like and have fun! The rules shouldnt be too sticky.. I admit to knowing next to nothing about jets ..its not my area of interest, so having a representative for the jets is great! and Im glad youre joining us sir!
Purpose built CAS aircraft sounds like the way to go,and if anyone disagrees with this being the basic "theme" of the campaign,now is the time to sound off so we can adjust things to suit everyone(hopefully anyways..)
Personally Im tied between doing either a Stuka or a Hind gunship..
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hello Jim,
Man!!! you come up with some great ideas for campaigns
I would propose that the builds should be Designed or Redesigned CAS aircraft. That means that an A-10 is OK, But so is a C-47 Spooky. The C-47 was Redesigned for CAS use. Also you would have the USMC Harrier that was a CAS Craft. Don't forget the AC-130 Puff The Magic Dragon. They even used DC-3 for CAS in Korea.
On the subject of Helios, Most have a CAS use, But some are only used to be Tank Hunters IE: Apaches. I would not allow any Helios that are primary Tank Killers in this campaign.
I have a !/48 scale A-10 I would like to build for this campaign, So yes I will sign up.
Again, great Idea Jim. I wish I could come up with ideas like this.
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
gee...thanks Bruce ...what an imaginitive guy I am top come up with such a wonderful campaign...
good suggestions Bruce..and I see no reason not to incorporate them..
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
IM in! i agree the later date works up to me eyeballs in campaigns also

Build on,
Justin
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC
OK!...we now have enough to do a submit!
So ...is everyone good with a later start date in 2010....like say June?.....how about we start on June 22( the infamous start of Barbarossa...and my birthday)...
and we stick to purpose built and officially modified versions?
attack helicopters included(this raises a good point...and Vietnam is NOT my strongpoint...the US implemented helicopters as a means of dropping in troops quickly, but also put guns on them for ground attack and defense...such as the Huey Hog..what are our feelings on this ..acceptable ?...personally I feel they are ,but in the spirit of democracy I put it to the board for debate
scale range from 1:72ski to 1:35
all eras of flight accepted
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
Start date June 22 2010 sound good to me, I should be able to clear the decks of about 500 other campaigns by then !!

Cheers, D
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hello Jim,
It looks like you have enough people to make this a go. I think that you should get it submitted.
As for the Huey's, Some became Huey Gunships. With all of the weapons load on them there was not any room or very little room for troops. The UH-1C Huey Gunship is an example of a CAS Helicopter. The biggest thing is if you want to build a CAS Helo, You should show that is was a primary or rebuilt to be a CAS helo. That is my opinion of helo's for this build.
I would also said that Fighter Planes are not allowed. I know that at the end of WW2 there was not much of a German or Japanese Air force and Fighters Planes went to becoming CAS Planes IE: P-51 Mustangs, Spitfires, Some Bombers, Etc. They were not redesigned to be come CAS planes, They were just assigned the job. What do all of you think?

Just some thoughts on the rules and that they are my own opinions and are not to reflect this site or Jim NcIntosh.
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:45 PM UTC
My opinion is that everyones opinion is important in the fun factor!
Majority rules on a good democracy,and personal opinion is its foundation.
I like the thought of everyone involved having a say in the establishment of our campaign boundaries, and Im interested in clarification on the fighterplane issue,Bruce. Do you feel that fighter/bombers such as the Typhoon would be considered as CAS aircraft?...im slightly fuzzy on its early developmental mandates: was it designed as a CAS weapon, or did it slide into that role?..I agree that sticking bombs on a Mustang or Corsair and saying its CAS is unacceptable..
Yes helicopters must also be purpose built or modified for CAS role..
( just so you know ..Ive decided to go with a MI-24 Hind attack helicopter-CAS pedigree for sure)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
Close air support

that means:

a-10, or apache, or harrier, or stuka?, or skyraider, or ...

very interesting topic indeed
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
yep ....the more the merrier Drabslab!...lotsa cool potential in this one!
OK guys ...this campaign has been officially submitted....
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hello Jim,
If I remember right, The Typhoon was first designed as a fighter but is did not so well. So it was redesigned as a Fighter-Bomber and used mostly for CAS Missions (98% of the time CAS).
So I would say yes to the Typhoon, Of course I could be very wrong (about .0000001% of the time)
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP