_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Afterburner Decals Campaign
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Welcome to the Afterburner Decals campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
Full throttle up…AFTERBUNNER!!

Yeah baby…it’s time to start building, looking forward to start converting the F/A-18F into the EA-18G. Looking forward to see what everyone will be building. Those Afterburnner decals are the best and colorful.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks for starting the Afterburner Decal Campaign thread Sam
Well we have been "under starters orders" for a while and now weeereeee offffffffff. Excellent building and painting everyone.
Ssssssshhhhhh did you hear that, Andy has already finished !!!!!
All the best.
tim
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi all,

I will be building a Tamiya F-16 using the Afterburner "Viper Wing Kings" sheet as I am also entered in the "Fighting Falcon Campaign but if i get time I also have an F2 A or F2B that I want to build?

Mark
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 01:37 AM UTC
I will be joining with a F-5 aggressor. Now THAT is colourful camouflage and markings

It will be some weeks before i go on afterburner and start this build. More will follow then.
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC
I'll be having a go at it with the A-10 from Revell with the Verlinden upgrades.
salazareric
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC
I will be building an F-4E 68-0312 from the 3rd TFW Flagship 1981 sporting the "BATAAN" in the nose. 1/48 Hasegawa F-4F will be used, slatted stabs will be sourced somewhere. I'll be needing more pics though for reference during the building process.
Lets see, this one has no ARN-101 and no tiseo. Need to know more about this phantom before i begin.

Exciting!
Eric
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 05:14 AM UTC
I will start/enter in a month (since my F-2 A will also participate in the F-16 campaign).

Cheers,

Harm
jenshb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Here's my entry to this campaign: A Mitsubishi F-2B that I bought in Japan on my honeymoon.

On Sunday I realised I was one aftermarket accessory short - the Aires wheelwell, and that arrived today. Well done to the staff at Hannants for a quick delivery. I will also be using the Eduard photoetch as well as a Shawn hull exhaust.

The references and the reason for this campaign...

The Model Art Profile book is very useful reference for this aircraft and it also contains some in progress shots of building an F-2B from the Hasegawa kit. There are some differences between the A and B that are not called out in the instructions, but nothing that should be too taxing to fix.

Got a few other projects to sort out as well, so this may be a low key start, but begin it can.

Jens
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC
Still need to find an F-15, but looking forward to this
StefanBuysse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi,

Here's my AFV club F-5E, together with one I built earlier.
This one will be different, I'll have pilot in the cockpit so that I can have the nosegear in the extended position, ready for take-off.

Cheers, Stefan.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will start/enter in a month (since my F-2 A will also participate in the F-16 campaign).
Cheers,
Harm

Harm, the standard campaign rules state that the same model cannot be entered in two campaigns. Just so you know.

Stefan, nice looking F-5. What scheme did you decide to go for in this campaign?
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Harm

Harm, the standard campaign rules state that the same model cannot be entered in two campaigns. Just so you know.

Stefan, nice looking F-5. What scheme did you decide to go for in this campaign?

I know that is normally true, but in this case there was/is to be an exception (as I read them), almost from the start of the campaign. Even more so since of the original 12 sets of decals that inspired this campaign, 6 cover either the F-14 or the F-16/F-2 and therefore could be used in these campaigns. To quote Tim's original proposal:

Quoted Text

As some of you may have noticed, I have been reviewing a quantity of Afterburner Decals recently. We at Aeroscale and Scott at Afterburner Decals thought it would be a great idea to have a Campaign that used the decals in the builds. Rather than have them sitting in a drawer and perhaps being used in a build, we thought why not let you, our readers out there, use them. The sets I have are all in 1/48 and they include:

The campaign will start on March 1st, 2011 and will last six months. This coincides with Justin McCracken's campaigns 'Fighting Falcons' and 'the Cats out of the Bag'. Justin has kindly allowed me to run the Afterburner campaign alongside his. As this is an unusual occurrence [hopefully not the last], we will bend the Campaign rules a bit and we are going to allow anyone to submit a build for the Afterburner Campaign and either the F-14/F-16 Campaigns. So if you build a F-16 ANG using Afterburners Decals you will be able to submit it for both the Afterburner and the Fighting Falcon Campaigns. If you are not fortunate to acquire one of the above sets, there is nothing stopping you using Afterburner Decals that you have acquired yourself.

To quote from the rules from this campaign:

Quoted Text

If you choose to build a F-16 or F-14 you will be allowed to enter the same model for Justin McCrackens two campaigns ''the Fighting Falcon'' and the Cat is out of the Bag''.

The only thing is that I have given myself one month less to build the aircraft than people who have chosen not to enter into the F-16 campaign with the same model.

Harm
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 12:41 AM UTC
I'll be a little late getting started. I picked up a couple of commission builds I need to get knocked out first, but rest assured, I'm on it. F-18F for me. See you all soon, "Q"
StefanBuysse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Jens.

I'll do this one in the "New blue" scheme.

Cheers, Stefan.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:57 PM UTC
cant wait to see your builds guys this is going to be great.still cant figure out my markings on my f-16
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:58 PM UTC
Almost forgot Harm is correct
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you choose to build a F-16 or F-14 you will be allowed to enter the same model for Justin McCrackens two campaigns ''the Fighting Falcon'' and the Cat is out of the Bag''.

The only thing is that I have given myself one month less to build the aircraft than people who have chosen not to enter into the F-16 campaign with the same model.

Harm

Harm, you are indeed right. I did not see that. I stand corrected.
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi all
Just to confim Harm is correct, any F-16 or F-14 built in this campaign using Afterburner Decals will be allowed to enter Justins two campaigns "the cats out the bag" and the "fighting falcon". This is a one off rule. It does not apply to the other campaigns.
All the best.
tim
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
Wow! I started my build tonight and I have to say it looks like it's going to be a world of difference for me. I've only built WWII fighters in 1/48 so far, so this A-10 in 1/48 feels like a hulking behemouth! HaHa! But I actually like the feel of it so far... I've got a few jets in my stash that I've been avoiding, but I may just have to give 'em a shot! Next weekend is the IPMS show here in Indy, can't hardly wait to check out the builds and score some loot from the vendors, might even snag a jet or two...
Slainte!!!
markske
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
My entery.

Mark
StefanBuysse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi,

After I built that other F-5E, I saw a model on Zone5 by a guy who had worked on these F-5's. The red dots on the fuselage were really inspection gauges. He drilled them out and replaced them with a piece of clear plastic, painted red at the bottom. So, I gave it a shot on this model too. I've circled the dot red in the picture.
Circled in yellow is a location tab that I reduced in size a bit. I believe that otherwise it creates a step in the lower fuselage.

Cheers, Stefan.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi all. Well I haven't started my build for this Campaign yet, but after a visit to the Avalon International Airshow today I'm feeling a bit more inspired. I saw a few of these guys being put through their paces . .

Along with a few RAAF Hornets and a Singapore Airforce F-16, the "fast jets" display section of the airshow was amazing.

Cheers, D
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
There's nothing like going to an airshow to get the juices going. Thanks for the images Damian, it looks like it was a stunning day
All the best
tim
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
word of warning!!!

The F-2A sheet 48-064 (the Grim Reapers) has already been sold out at Afterburner Decals itself!!

As a result, I have personally chosen to use as little of the Afterburner Decal sheet as possible. I am not that confident yet in my modelling skills, and I would like to save as much of the sheet as possible for a time when my skills have improved. The kit I am going to build already possesses the generic decals/stencils. And I already have the spare kit on order (the Idolmaster F-2A was on sale).

Put it this way, if I manage to complete this build and the F-14 for the Tomcat campaign, those will be the first models I will complete in over a decade (and the first using an airbrush, PE etc).

If this choice means I have to bow out of the campaign, than I am sorry to do so, but I will...

Cheers,

Harm
 _GOTOTOP