Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Looney Toons Campaign
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC
Hi
Calling this done.

Hawkeye65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC
I'm done too. Pics in the gallery.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
Time for a quick update, just finished the painting, ready to seal with a coat of Klear, ready to decal tomorrow. The painting is not my best if I'm honest, but I was rather against the clock.

BTW Andy - I ordered a jar of Tamiya Flat Base which turned up this morning, so I'll be giving your technique a go after I've decalled the Tonka.

Well done all those who have finished already, some really nice work on show here!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
Well this one is in the books and posted up in the gallery.

Hasegawa 1/48th Scale F/A-18E
"Bandwagon One-Zero-Zero"
VFA-31 Tomcatters, CVW-8

True Details Resin seat
Steel Beach Resin ECS Pipes
Kinetics Ordnance
Afterburner Decals

Certainly a very fun and enjoyable campaign and a very talented group of modellers to build with.

Best wishes and......GO FELIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi
I am having trouble loading photos to Gallery!
Will try again later
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 05:37 PM UTC
Ian: your super-bug looks AWESOME!!! nice work.

unfortunately I ran into a case of worthless decals - The cutting edge decals worked great as usual, but the revell decals turned out to be complete @#$%. Even the smallest ones shatter at the slightest provocation. Thus I am not able to add the various stencils and whatnot till i find a set of replacements (any recommendations for 1/48 F-15E data/stencils sheet?).

here is where i am at and will remain till i find a solution for this problem:
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Outstanding Toons Outstanding
I count three Felix the cats
Vance ,I'm sure we could get an extension for you decal problems,I think microscale did a set
Lee,the tammy flat base with Klear works a treat,dont try to use the tammy flat base neat as you will get a horrid chalky effect,do you need mor time?
Harry ,great job mate
Ian, stunning mate,GO FELIX
Brent,Buffalo Go FELIX
Me,GO FELIX !!!!
F4phreak,nice under the radar Mustang
Mike,show stealing Woody Woodpecker ANA B767-300 ,love it
Emre,wheres that stunning 109 hiding?,do you need more time???
Richard,lovely,lovely ,lovely,Dennis the Sabre dog
Beer time
Andy
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Andy---Thanks for the kind words. Good -31 showing....a Buffalo, a Demon and a Rhino.

Vance---I don't know how many stencils you lost but you can clear coat the remnants of the sheet with Testors Glosscote and that will keep them from disintegrating. You just have to cut them close because the whole sheet is in essence carrier film now, once it is sprayed. Two Bobs makes several Mudhen decals sheets (Lakenheath, Mountain Home Nellis etc) and I think Astra also makes some Mudhen sheets with stencils.

Regards, Ian
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 01:16 PM UTC
I'm afraid the Lancaster B.III 'G for Goofy' is residing on the Shelf of Doom until I can source a replacement set of landing gear bits after damage from an unfortunate collision with SWMBO
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 03:53 PM UTC
SAC offers white metal gear legs to fit the Revell and new tool Airfix kits. I'm pretty sure they can be adapted to other kits as well.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lee,the tammy flat base with Klear works a treat,dont try to use the tammy flat base neat as you will get a horrid chalky effect,do you need more time?
Andy

Yes Andy, I could use a day or two. I spent practically all day decalling yesterday, with just a little more to do today. The after market decals (Printscale - Russian I think) are absolute garbage. So thin and flimsy. In most cases, I used the stencilling that came with the kit (Revell) as they were the correct colour. The Printscale roundels were far too big, so I replaced them with spares left over from my EE Lightning build (1/48) - much closer in size and colour. After reading the comments about other peoples decal issues, I'm going to slap a satin cote over the remaining decals (all the nose art natch) and see if that stops them being too flimsy to work with. Well done everyone who finished on time!
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't know if you have seen the news, but what started as a peaceful environmental resistance against the demolution of a park to build a shopping mall in central Istanbul (my hometown) has turned into a countrywide protest. Yesterday, the government/police tried to supress peaceful protesters by burning their tents while they were sleeping in them at 5.00AM and tear gassing people as they were trying to run away. I was planning to complete the 109 yesterday, but I really feel that I should be at the rallies against this barbarism and the government's increasing authoritarian (I would say fascist, as our Prime Minister just said "I don't care what anyone thinks, I will build whatever I like wherever I want" and "If you resist with 100.000 I can find a million to crush you down") policies. Sorry for ranting, but I'm really really filled with anger.

I do not know when things will calm down. If you can give me an extra week maybe I might complete my model, but I'm not sure. Sorry for any inconvenience.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 11:47 PM UTC
That's bad news Emre, I saw the news this morning - stay safe!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't know if you have seen the news, but what started as a peaceful environmental resistance against the demolution of a park to build a shopping mall in central Istanbul (my hometown) has turned into a countrywide protest. Yesterday, the government/police tried to supress peaceful protesters by burning their tents while they were sleeping in them at 5.00AM and tear gassing people as they were trying to run away. I was planning to complete the 109 yesterday, but I really feel that I should be at the rallies against this barbarism and the government's increasing authoritarian (I would say fascist, as our Prime Minister just said "I don't care what anyone thinks, I will build whatever I like wherever I want" and "If you resist with 100.000 I can find a million to crush you down") policies. Sorry for ranting, but I'm really really filled with anger.

I do not know when things will calm down. If you can give me an extra week maybe I might complete my model, but I'm not sure. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Absolutely, Emre! Out all of the many places I have traveled, Turkey is one of my favorite (been there twice and intend to return - I rarely make repeat trips), and I find the unfolding situation a terrible shame. It is bewildering that the leader of a democracy thinks he can talk and act in such a manner while shamelessly lining his pockets with cash at the obvious expense of the people (isn't there something very un-islamic about doing that sort of thing?). Time for a show of the people's sovereign force, hopefully leading to something like your version of an impeachment. Too bad Ataturk isn't around to straighten things out, but i have confidence in the strength of all the good-hearted Turks I met during my travels. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your country.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC
Be safe Emre!

Regards,

Ian
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Finally done - pics in the gallery!

@Andy - The Tamiya Flat Base and Klear technique worked a treat - thanks for that.

Here are the pics, I'm sure the sharp eyed among you will spot the mistakes, my Mig Eater is wearing another Tornado's airframe number and kill markings - see previous comments regarding the quality of the aftermarket decals. Other than that, the Revell GR1 was an absolute joy to build. Well done to everyone, there are some great pics in the gallery, the
F-18 and the Looney Toons airliner stand out in particular - great way to nail the brief!

SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
Lee-----I like your GR.1. I always thought "MIGEATER" and "BUDDHA" had the coolest noseart. Thanks for the kind words regarding the -18.

Best wishes,

Ian
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SAC offers white metal gear legs to fit the Revell and new tool Airfix kits. I'm pretty sure they can be adapted to other kits as well.

Indeed they do, and that is the plan for the future (it's the Revell kit so no need to adapt). I'll need to repair the tailwheel leg manually though.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Andy

Hi Andy,

Hi Emre,
Stay safe my friend,and take all the time you need
Great job Lee,glad the Klear recipe worked for you.
Sorry not to have been on a lot lately but we have had another family berevement
I sort the ribbons out later this week fellas
Andy
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hi all, great campaign. My hanger queen Buffalo is in the masking stage. I'll post updates as it gets the silver paint and decals.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 08:18 PM UTC
Thank you Andy and everyone else for your good wishes. I am about to get addicted to pepper tear gas and had a close call with an armored riot control vehicle, but I am generally fine and safe. I slowly kept on building the 109 when I was not at work or the at the protests. The only thing left is the antenna and the removal of the canopy masks. I hope to complete it this evening and get some photos.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC
Allright, here she is... I might have gone overboard with the weathering, being an AFV guy

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I might have gone overboard with the weathering, being an AFV guy

It looks as though it's just been through a sand storm.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 05:48 PM UTC
Emry, that's a very nice 109, and I don't think its over-whethered at all. Stay safe!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 05:52 PM UTC
Beautiful build Emre! Russell