_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Looney Toons Campaign
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 07:29 PM UTC
Here you go guys, Ive locked the proposal thread.

The photo gallery for finished entries is all set up (you may have to re-sign in to upload the pics on the gallery) :

here

Also don't forget you can still sign up here

Hopefully I will be able to get pics and make a start on my build tomorrow
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks Sam
I'll try and scare some plastic today on my Demon and get some pics up soon
Let the Looning begin
Andy
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
I've had a change of plan and I'll hopefully be starting this tomorrow but I need to order some paint for it first.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC

Of late, I've developed a rather keen and unexplained interest in civilian propliners. The above decal sheet depicts an example that I'm willing to take a chance on. I can remember Dumbo cartoons from when I was a Child.

These are 'digital silk' decals, which are something I can't say if I've ever tried. But, I do like the cartoon and the scheme.

The kit is the MiniWings offering in 1/144 resin. I've never actually completed a resin kit, so this is why I'm taking a chance.

As you can see, the scribing is valley deep and excessive. I'll try and fill this and redo it to a lesser extent. And after just fiddling around, I note the decals may be ill fitting. They were designed for another makers kit. So, all-in-all, we'll just have to see how it goes, with no grand dreams of a successful completion.

I'm going to start with the fuselage, cutting, sanding, and filling as carefully as I can. So I leave you with this photo of my start date.

SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC
I am going to build a 1/48th scale Hasegawa F/A-18E from the "Tomacatters" of Fighting 31. I will be using Afterburner Decals to depict the Hi-Viz CAG jet from -31. It will have Felix the Cat in the vertical stabs, in all his feline glory. Looking forward to this one.

Allen, I am dying to see the Bunny Fighter!! Looks really cool!!!

Best wishes, Ian

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi
Here is my entry!

FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 11:15 AM UTC
Here is my entry. A 1/72 scale Hasegawa Messerschmitt Me109G-5. This is a representation from II/JG5. The cartoon is Mickey Mouse and the boots that I think were kicking Adolf in the rump that appeared on RAF airplanes.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Loonies
Been a frantic couple of days what with my Dads funeral and PC's going bang but I've managed to start my Demon

I've replaced the handles on the seat with brass beading wire and the Eduard set looks smashing,everything was going together a treat so I dry fitted the front fuslage to the main section to get the front gear bay lined up then "Houston we have a proplem"
I plonked the canopies on

and the AM seat is to high and of course its glued in I'll sort that later when I've cleared the snow from the drive!
Allen... what is a Bunny fighter!!!!???
Ben .... Than C-46 looks cool and the markings are spot on
Ian..... Looking forward to the Hornet build,I've got a 1/32 Academy one burning a hole in my stash
Richard.... thats a classic,I didn't know you guys had a Dennis the menace your side of the pond!
First sarg.... I'm glad your doing that 109,that Micky mouse is superb.
Too the driveway,more later
Andy
messynachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 142 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC
In. Will post start pic in a few days when my rotation ends.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 04:52 PM UTC
I'm thinking this kit I purchased is not MiniWings best effort.

The panel lines are horrid; as deep as they are wide. I've seen better mating of fuselage parts. The props will have to be replaced as they are totaled.

This thing will have to be 100% filled, sanded to shape, and then rescribed. Luckily, the scribing will be to a lesser extent.
After studying many photos of my subject, I fail to see where the panel lines are so numerous or so prominent as depicted in the kit.:

I'm still enjoying it, and it is a learning platform. The aircraft is rather attractive, so I hope this turns out.
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 01:20 PM UTC
I've have some progress to report. The fuselage and wing structure has been primed and assembled. Other sub assemblies have been primed and assembled. The pilot has been painted and seated in the spartan cockpit.

Now comes filling and sanding.

Regards,
FirstSergeant
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
Greetings All. Ordered True Details resin cockpit upgrade for the 109G. They never had this stuff when I left the hobby long ago. This should make things interesting.
Cheers
FirstSergeant
messynachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC
Having trouble finding anything online or local..... help.. .
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 02:51 AM UTC
I ordered from ebay. Couldn't find a True Details website. Best bet is to Google "resin cockpit upgrade for plastic models". Ebay came up and a few other on line stores. Check Eduard, they have some cool photo etch and resin upgrades.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered from ebay. Couldn't find a True Details website. Best bet is to Google "resin cockpit upgrade for plastic models". Ebay came up and a few other on line stores. Check Eduard, they have some cool photo etch and resin upgrades.

True Details is the house brand of Squadron.com. Check there for the most current availability. Other good brands are Pavla, Quickboost, Black Box and Wolfpack Designs.
messynachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the help. I will look tonight after work.
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:41 AM UTC
Thank you, I'll check these out and bookmark them.
FirstSergeant
Removed by original poster on 12/17/12 - 03:09:21 (GMT).
messynachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
Not feelin the love ... lol dont think i am going to be able to find anyrhing with a cartoon decal kit like the ones ive seen on here so far.. so i guess i will back out of this one. Thanks for all the help anyway....
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not feelin the love ... lol dont think i am going to be able to find anyrhing with a cartoon decal kit like the ones ive seen on here so far.. so i guess i will back out of this one. Thanks for all the help anyway....

Terry
What sort of aircraft do you like? and what sort of price range?,I'm sure we can find somthing for you
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi everyone! I just realized that the other campaign that I was in (BAE)has already ended, so I thought I might as well start my entry in this campaign now. With so many cool subjects to model, I thought I would do a classic airliner for my entry. I plan on building the B767-300 flown by ANA with the Universal Studios Japan markings. This featured a large portrait of Woody Woodpecker on the fuselage. How's that for a subdued cartoon nose art? I will be using an old decal set from Brazil Decals which have a really bad reputation for quality. I have these decals so I might as well try them for this build! Here's how it looks at the start:

Best wishes to everyone for the Christmas holidays!
Mike
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
I've had a change of plan as I don't have any of the paints needed for the Mig-21 yet, so as such I've dug out the Eduard Bf 109E-4 which will be done in the markings of Adolf Galland.

Cockpit has been painted RLM02 and the etch has started to be attached.

and the engine has been assembled and painted with Gunze metal colour Iron

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 06:18 PM UTC
Well, I'm in with ED666 WS-G 'Goofy' of 9 Squadron RAF in June 1943, building the recent Revell Lancaster B.1/B.III kit as a B.III

Revell Lancaster B.III 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

The kit has been started, but I never got past gluing the wings up and painting the roof of the bomb bay.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:53 PM UTC
Seasons greetings Toonies
Its great to see some builds up and running and such a variety of aircraft,
Mike that 767 looks stunning with Woody on, can't wait to see that built
Allen love the 109 with the AG markings,one of my favorites
Adam ,a lanc,you smashing fella
I'll try a get some more of the Demon done today and get some pics up
Andy
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 12:00 AM UTC
I did make a start on my build Saturday 8th but never got any pics uploaded (someone lost her phone cable). I got as far as opening the box and airbrushing the interior parts before being relegated back into its box :

and early hours this morning when I could not sleep I made a proper start on the construction and this is where we are at as of 11:30:

lots of sub assemblies and lots of painting/ weathering to be done to the cockpit.

So far its not been too bad to build. Midly frustrating that I have had to put the machine guns/ cannons into the wings otherwise we would not have any barrels coming out of the wings, the panels for the wings are only provided in clear parts which took some convincing to stay put but as Im not having it so you can see the gun bays or engine it didnt matter about the amount of plastic weld used on the clear bits fogging them.
Im also having to build a basic engine so the exhausts have somewhere to locate to as they all locate onto the engine block

_GOTOTOP