Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: De Havilland Campaign
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 11:12 PM UTC
Nice one Jessie

Are they etched mounts? - it's hard to see from a distance.

Onwards and downward with the Vampire... the fist step in extending the starboard intake for the air conditioning unit fairing. It's a mess at the moment, but I think it'll look reasonable when finished:

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
No, I did my usual twisted wire loops.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I did my usual twisted wire loops.

Hi Jessica
Could you do a "How to" on your loops.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
There's a good idea!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC
This is an excellent campaign with a lot of interesting builds. That said, and not to be a killjoy, but there are only two weeks left to the end date. Time to bring things together!

Michael
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:38 PM UTC
Progress at last! I've got the preliminary paint on, and the major parts test fitted together

A little close-up of my anchor loops
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 08:03 PM UTC
Nice going Jessie

Please show us how you do the knots too - that's the part of rigging that's always foxed me (I've always run the rigging straight into a hole in the wing and fudged some sort of mount and turnbuckle).

Quoted Text

... not to be a killjoy...

Killjoy! But I think there's half a chance I might make the deadline, although it sometimes feels like I could tinker with the Vamp 'till next Christmas and still keep finding more to do.

All the best

Rowan
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...it sometimes feels like I could tinker with the Vamp 'till next Christmas and still keep finding more to do.

that's a key point right there. Ive never yet finished a model completely. there is always a list of things that should have been fixed. I dont aspire either, my stuff will never be in a museum, so Im happy with my collection as it is, and forge ahead
I think there are millions of Hanger queens in closets all over the world that just need a seem filled or a decal removed and replaced. I think that is too bad.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Jonathan

The deadline is no bad thing for me - without it I'm quite sure I'd have put the Vamp to one side and forgotten about it already. Hopefully, even if I don't quite finish in time, I'll be so close I'll still see the build through so I have at least one completed model to my name this year.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
Everyone's builds are coming along nicely.
I got a bit of paint on mine over the weekend, linen undersides and green uppers and rear fuselage. The mask off and paint the forward fuselage satin grey.
I am having some difficulty working out what Squadron the DH4 (A8032) in the Airfix kit is from. The instructions state that Cadbury (piloting) was CO of 212Sqn, while Leckie (gunner) was CO of 228Sqn. Obviously they were operating form the same base and piled into the same aircraft when the scramble to intercept Zeppelin was given. But whose aircraft was it? As a guess I'd say it belonged to 212 given who was flying it. Any help is appreciated.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:14 AM UTC
Progress?? LOL what progress? On that note I've finally got the Dragon rigged! Now too mask the canopy and paint. The scheme is simple just doped aluminium and a couple of red stripes on the pants? Spats? Engine nacelles? And the number four provided in the decal sheet. I found the picture sheet supplied with Tasman kit invaluable in discerning exactly how this wee beastie was rigged. Most of them were double rigged ie two wires, with two tegether and two that went around the them. Not well described by me perhaps but hopefully the pics can paint a better ... well picture.

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:21 PM UTC
Very good progress being made.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi Chris

Great work on the Dragon Rapide - it really has got me itching to build one in 1:48.

I think I've done my last bit of tinkering on the Vampire, reshaping the wingtips and adding navigation lamps:

I've just got a bit of re-scribing to do, and then I'll try throwing some paint at the beast to see what horrors that reveals!

All the best

Rowan
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
Rowan, great looking lights!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Chris, the Dragon is looking good. It looks like you needed a lot of filler on it.
Here's where mine is at at present.

The whole thing has been completely hand painted painted over a quick spray of Tamiya white primer. I used Humbrol 148 Radome Tan with a drybrush of 103 Cream for the underside bleached linen, uppers are 155 Olive Drab and 165 Satin RAF Medium Sea Grey. I think the grey needs another coat as I thinned it a little too much and is see through in places. The radiator and wing mounted fuel tank have also had a coat of grey. Some touching up will be needed, especially around the edges of the wings as they are not as neat as I'd like. I gave the rudder a coat of acrylic white to prevent a darker colour showing through the decals.
All going well I should make the deadline.
Stephen
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
I never realised that there were so many lesser known kits of DeHavilland aircraft or that there were so many Masochistic modellers that build them. Definite points for coolness!

Last night I had a bright idea!
Now that I just found my Tamiya Mosquito kit why not enlist in the campaign and see if I can finish a wingey-thing in a week
(never mind the fact that I haven't finished 1 since I was a kid, I'm pushing 2 deadlines at work, there are 3 other campaigns I'm working on, and I'm running a campaign starting the 5th)?

Great idea huh?
Charlie
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
finish in a week,. youre a better modeller than I - you go, I am watchin you

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:19 PM UTC
Main colours are on and some touch up and details to paint.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
Charley go for it. At best you finish, at workst you have till the end of the year to finish in Hanger Queen 4.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Charlie

A Mossie in a week, along with work and all the other distractions you mention! I'm sure it's do-able - so long as intend getting any sleep this week...

My Vamp stumbles along at a much slower pace. I thought I was ready to start painting when I realised most of the panel lines on the nose were spurious, so I've filled them and re-sanded everything. I'm waiting for some Xtradecals to arrive from Hannants (hopefully Postie will deliver today...) because I didn't trust the kit decals and don't want to completely rob my A2Zee kit.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm waiting for some Xtradecals to arrive from Hannants (hopefully Postie will deliver today...)

Hi again

Postie didn't let me down so, work permitting, I can get back underway. I think I'm still in with a shot of finishing on time if I don't hit too many problems in the home straight...

So... do I go for a camouflage finish that could hide a multitude of sins, or High Speed Silver that risks revealing a lot more work to do?...

All the best

Rowan
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
Here is my entry in the Dehavilland Campaign, a Mossie.

I got this far last weekend.

Today I put on a coat of silver and have some more sanding to do.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 05:59 PM UTC
Fittingly the last two entries are Mossies, an aircraft famed for its speed. Here's a little something to keep the interest up:

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC
Jessie,
Thank you for the video's, love the fly by set to Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.
I'm back to doing some modeling after a month or so break due to wedding preparations. My daughter married last Friday.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
Always good to see a couple of Mosquito's being built. Best of luck with them guys.

Touching up and detail painting is now completed. Just needs a gloss coat and then I can start decalling. I still need to paint in a brass edging on the prop but that's a fairly simple job.

Comments welcome.