Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIc
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Steve
My brother Joel seemed to be off course a bit regarding my 1/32 HKM Meteor. The kit is the MK.4 variant and I used the Fisher resin conversion to bring it up to a MK.8, used in the Korean war. The conversion required a complete resin replacement of the forward fuselage from the wings to the nose and a replacement of the entire empennage as well. The front office is again all Fisher resin as well as the canopy and windscreen being clear resin. Gear is from G Factor (brass) and the wheels are also resin replacements. There were a lot of scratch details added to make a correct RAAF Meteor. To my knowledge, most Meteors in Korea were painted Speed Silver and did not have a NMF. Tamiya AS12, decanted and air brushed on was the perfect candidate. To be honest, it was a time consuming build with some major fit issues, which I'm sure resulted from how I cut up the fuselage to graft on the new parts. Both the front and rear of each nacelle was also replaced with Fisher parts.

Peter
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi Peter

Wow, that's a beauty, and its a pleasure to have your photos here. I'm desperately trying not to reach for the credit card and order one just now. With a Spitfire on the way and the Mirage to finish its just too tempting.

Aaargh! Must resist! Must resist!

Thanks again for posting your beautiful work.

SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,
My brother saw my post about his Meteor and emailed me that I must have it mixed up with another one of his builds. After reading the rest of his email, it seems that I couldn't have been farther from what the build actually was. And that is a major resin conversion. So my apologies for another old age mental brain fade.

Joel

Hey Joel

Its no problem. I'm on the path too. Peter posted some lovely images of his meteor, and its a pleasure to see the work.

Happy modelling.

S
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 11:57 PM UTC
Steve,
Glad you like it. It's way above my level of modeling.
Joel
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Its something to aim for I guess, but your Mossie is looking great!

Have a good one.

Steve
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 12:40 AM UTC
The process of adding tone and depth continues with some areas highlighted in AK Extreme Metal Chrome. The intakes, nose and rear fuselage all got a coat or two after masking, and here’s the result.

This bit is fun :-)

Happy modelling guys

Steve
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Steve,
the variation of tone really looks good. I'm still not sold on the wings, but I'm sure hoping that it works as planned.
Joel
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Thanks very much. I can see what you mean about the wings, but I'm going to push on and hope it works out. It is an experiment and if all else fails there'll be a re-spray.

Have a great day.

Steve
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Thanks very much. I can see what you mean about the wings, but I'm going to push on and hope it works out. It is an experiment and if all else fails there'll be a re-spray.

Have a great day.

Steve

Steve,
As I said, I'm really looking forward to your wing experiment as I have a few NMF aircraft looming down the line.

Joel
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC
Do you find that the other queue is always moving faster than yours? Does your friend’s order always look tastier when you go out to eat? Is the weather always better in the holiday resort you didn't go to? If the answer is ‘yes’ then - like me - you often feel that the grass is greener on the other side. So when I collected my new Hobby Boss 1/32 scale Spitfire Vb I tried hard not to be impressed, I tried hard not to start researching cockpit photos and markings. I tried not to look in the box. I didn't try hard enough. It looks like a great kit - nicely moulded, flash free and delicately detailed. All the things the Mirage isn’t. It’s so tempting to start, but I won’t. Just know it’s there and waiting.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you find that the other queue is always moving faster than yours? Does your friend’s order always look tastier when you go out to eat? Is the weather always better in the holiday resort you didn't go to? If the answer is ‘yes’ then - like me - you often feel that the grass is greener on the other side. So when I collected my new Hobby Boss 1/32 scale Spitfire Vb I tried hard not to be impressed, I tried hard not to start researching cockpit photos and markings. I tried not to look in the box. I didn't try hard enough. It looks like a great kit - nicely moulded, flash free and delicately detailed. All the things the Mirage isn’t. It’s so tempting to start, but I won’t. Just know it’s there and waiting.

Steve,
Is it to early to reserve a spot for my chair to follow your build? How do the decals look? I've used the newer Hobby Boss decals and really liked them.
Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:23 AM UTC
Steve, you certainly deserve a nice, hassle free build after the Mirage.
I'll pull up a seat next to Joel and follow your next project for sure.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hi guys

I'll be very happy to have you along when I start. I'm really going to try and focus on the Mirage for now because I just know it will gather dust if I start something else.

Joel, the decals look fine on the sheet, but I only took a quick look, and I bought aftermarket ones too. So now I have three choices - the originals, the aftermarket and the paint masks for the roundels.

Paul, thanks very much. After the Mirage experience I'm now hesitant to assume too much about the engineering from a look in the box, but it does look great.

OK, just one last appetizer then its two decades forward and a hop a cross the channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYDOW-k71xA

Happy modelling

S
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:13 PM UTC
At roughly the same time that the real Mirage IIIc was taking to the air, a well known pop duo wrote ‘I’ve got no deeds to do, no promises to keep. I’m dappled and drowsy and ready for sleep.’ That almost exactly describes my weekend, except I was ready to airbrush, not sleep.

For a while I’ve been peering at this photo, and taking it as my inspiration alongside the digital artwork I’ve shown.

The mission this weekend was to introduce more variation into the tone of the panels and start work on the underside. It was the usual recipe of masking lightly airbrushing and then peeling away the tape and masking film to see what was revealed. And here is what was revealed.

Up until now I’ve had no trouble with the Tamiya tape, but for the first time this weekend a few spots came off with the paint and I’m left with a little repair job. I suspect I either missed a bit when I primed or I was getting lazy with the tape. I have been careful to remove some of the stickiness by pressing it onto the palm of my hand before applying to the model. Anyhow it’s a small patch and won’t really notice once everything is finished. I’ll either touch it up or leave it be and think of it as weathering. No rush…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbpyrRM1S4

Happy modelling guys. I hope you’re having fun too.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Steve,
I've had that issue from time to time. The cause is usually dirt or some substance on the plastic. My P-38 is a prime example. At 1st I just tried a few mist coats without primer, and the Alcad adhered to the plastic ok, but the color was completely wrong. So I ended up priming without any masks, then reshooting the proper Alcad. Worked just fine.

I keep on looking at your gray painted panels. While the art work pulls off the look and feel, I can't help but have some real concerns about it on plastic. why not use it as a base coat, and air brush on a few mist coats of the same Aluminum. That should give you plenty of variation and yet look as though it was just a different type of Aluminum.

Joel
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Yes, I'd been fearing this all along, knowing how much masking I was about to do. It was all good and then a little patch came off. Frankly I'm surprised there haven't been more, but its an easy repair, and it does look like the paint hadn't adhered very well.

As for those panels, yes I get you. Let's see how they look after weathering etc, but your right, I may yet need to go back with some metal paint.

By the way I've had lots of trouble logging in to the site today. I kept getting error 1040 (I think). I hope its all good.

With warm wishes

Steve
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC
Steve I tend to agree with Joel concerning the grey coloured wing panels. I would be tempted to seal the grey panels with a semi gloss finish and shoot some thinned Aluminium as Joel has suggested. The area under the rear fuselage looks excellent and represent the real thing extremely well. Nice bit of masking too
tim
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, the decals look fine on the sheet, but I only took a quick look, and I bought aftermarket ones too. So now I have three choices - the originals, the aftermarket and the paint masks for the roundels.

After experiencing paint masks for myself in the last couple of weeks I wouldn't hesitate to use them again especially if the area you are covering has a few lumps and bumps that decals would have a hard time settling over.

As for the grey panels, I suspect they'll come into their own with some weathering to modulate the colour. As they stand they look very flat against the metallic panels. The photo you've shared above seems to show that the painted panels cling onto grime more than the metal so some heavy weathering on the grey could consolidate the whole.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks very much for the thoughts and feedback. I'll push on with the panels a bit and see how they look when weathered. I agree they don't look exactly like the original, but that shot I posted does have some interesting dark patches. In short I like the look and I might be prepared to deploy some artistic license.

Paul, I think you have me sold on the masks for the Spit when I get around to it. I've had to put the whole thing out of sight for a while so I don't get tempted.

Have a great day guys.

Steve

SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
One of the things I enjoy about modelling is the room all the products and techniques give us for experimentation. With this kit I’m keen to get variation in tone to try and bring the natural metal finish to life, and that’s given me an opportunity to play. The product I was playing with is Mr Metal Colour; a buffable paint that I used on the exhaust. I found that if I drop some paint onto a smooth surface and let it dry it can then be used like a sort of pigment. You can collect it on the tip of a cotton bud and rub it on the model.

The result is a subtle dull metal tone. I used it to change the look of some of the access panels. It is quite hard to see, but hopefully this shot brings it out:

Right, now its back to work.

Happy modelling guys
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
I have a slight addiction to masking. I love the crisp lines it gives, and I find the whole processes of masking and airbrushing almost meditative. So even though Italeri gives some decals for the smaller painted areas on the Mirage, I masked them off and used the airbrush any way. I also started on the wheels. I painted the tyres a mix of black/grey and a little brown, and then masked the hubs with liquid masking film. Having sprayed the hubs with dark aluminium I peeled off the masking fluid. The line isn't totally neat and will need a little touching up with a brush. Here are the results.

SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Before deciding to return to my roots and build aircraft again I was deeply into armour. The techniques used to make vehicles look interesting fascinated me, and I found replicating them very satisfying. The paint and metal on aircraft is subject to some of the same weathering but generally there’s less of it. Wind, sun and rain usually take a bigger toll than mud and dust for example. So an aircraft gives us different challenges. One of my own favourite ways of reproducing these effects is post-shading. Now, I’m not claiming it is ‘real’ - whatever that is in 1/32 scale - but to me it adds visual interest and reproduces some of the variations in tone that make a model more like little work of art, which is what I want.

For the Mirage I made a very thin wash of Tamiya Gloss Black; the paint diluted with Tamiya’s own thinners. Then I sprayed the larger panel lines only, and also enhanced some of the streaking left by the original NMF work. I kept the air pressure low at about 10psi, so I could work close, and I was careful not to let the airbrush linger anywhere. Paint this thin can quickly form spiders. After a few passes we have this:

Next the whole thing will get a coat of clear so she’s ready for decals and pin washes.

Happy modelling guys
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:53 PM UTC
Steve,
You're making excellent progress with your 1st weathering steps. I'm still looking forward to seeing how those wing panels eventually blend in, as I've said it's a technique I've never even thought.

Joel
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Thanks very much. I'm having fun and I've almost forgotten the construction horrors. Almost.

Yes, those wing panels are still unorthodox. I hope they'll come together more as we move on. It's funny but I see them so often that I've actually stopped noticing them, so its good to get a reminder.

Happy modelling

Steve
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:14 PM UTC
The post-shading looks nice!

Jelger