World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi Joel & Peter,

I'm definitely tagging along - to have both the Willstein brothers posting their builds here is going to be an absolute treat.

Looking forward to the next update(s) and taking notes for sure.

Regards,
Kobus
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel & Peter,

I'm definitely tagging along - to have both the Willstein brothers posting their builds here is going to be an absolute treat.

Looking forward to the next update(s) and taking notes for sure.

Regards,
Kobus

Kobus,
So glad you've joined the party.

Not so sure that it's going to be any kind of a special treat, but it's certainly the 1st time that I can ever recall both of us posting a duel builds together. I'm working in my chosen 1/48 scale, while Pete will be in his comfort zone of 1/32 scale.

Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Thanks Joel, i noticed your post in my blog first and replied there.

As far as 'Interior green' ?
My Tamiya batch is way darker than the lid colour and a bit darker than a colour swatch online ( my monitor is a good one and colour calibrated , a hangover from my old profession, so no worries about colour fidelity)
Of course, your colour is going to subtly change depending on your primer colour or the colour of your plastic.
Then remember that any washes you apply change things up again.
Oh and then there's light quality where you're modelling or photographing.

I guess what i'm getting at is this : don't obsess over slight colour variations !

It'd be great to see two Mossies built by brothers too.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joel, i noticed your post in my blog first and replied there.

As far as 'Interior green' ?
My Tamiya batch is way darker than the lid colour and a bit darker than a colour swatch online ( my monitor is a good one and colour calibrated , a hangover from my old profession, so no worries about colour fidelity)
Of course, your colour is going to subtly change depending on your primer colour or the colour of your plastic.
Then remember that any washes you apply change things up again.
Oh and then there's light quality where you're modelling or photographing.

I guess what i'm getting at is this : don't obsess over slight colour variations !

It'd be great to see two Mossies built by brothers too.

Paul,
I hope that those pictures were of some help to you.

As for the proper RAF interior Green, like always, close enough is good enough for me. but my Bro, well, he pushes it just a bit further, but in the end, with a few washes, and the darkness of the Pit, it's really hard to tell one shade from the next.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:58 PM UTC
Finally the build officially begins.

The Tamiya instructions for some odd reason start with the engine nacelles, and work their way through building up both wings including the landing gear. Being old school, and just plain old, I'm starting with the cockpit.

I've opted to replace the somewhat less then cutting edge cockpit at this point, since the mold is about 18 plus years old with the Aires resin cockpit.

As usual, I've started with the IP sub assembly by cleaning up the IP bulkhead, then bending up the two rudder peddle sub-assemblies from the supplied PE sheet. I primed everything using MIG AMMO Acrylic gray primer thinned 1:1 with Tamiya X20-A thinner, followed by Model Master #2062 RAF Interior Green thinned 2:3 with Model Master's Universal Enamel Thinner. A few light coats applied at a flow rate of 16 psi worked just fine. I Then painted the anti glare shroud and one small instrument panel Tamiya Nato Black, my preferred scale Black. I just find regular flat Black to be just to stark of a color.

the IP itself is comprised of a B&W acetate sheet of instruments, and a pre-painted PE face plate. My usual practice is to back up the see through acetate with some.010 white plastic sheet to help make the instruments a little more vibrate. I prefer to use plain old White glue to attach the acetate sheet to the PE as CCA glue has a nasty tendency to fog it up some.

Once the white glue had dried, I trimmed everything, then CCA glued the Instrument panel to the IP backing plate. then I dry brushed all the raised details with Life Color light Gray paint.

Finally I drilled three small holes in the throttle quadrant plate, and then CCA glued 3 small pieces of stretched sprue to represent throttles. I added some white glue to create the illusion of knobs, and painted them gloss red for a little color.

In real life the IP looks pretty good especially once it's installed in the cockpit and tucked in under the anti glare shroud. The greater then 1:1 photo tends to highlight the dry brushing a tad too much, and the lighting for the grab pictures is just to stark and bright.

Joel

Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC
JA
Hope I'm doing this right. Nice start on the IP and the nose area of the Mossie; which quite a busy place. Looking forward to seeing the gauges and dials under glass.
As usual, you know I'm still tinkering with the RAF interior green, as my Mossie front office isn't going to have an overall wash but just numerous oil pin washes, so I'm struggling to get close to the color. I've run my Colormunki monitor calibration program and then looked at a zillion images, seeing different shades in the same cockpit, depending on the angle and lighting.
I've pretty much settled in on my mix and hopefully it will be close. Monday should be a great test as we can compare cockpits and interior RAF green and see how each look.
Keep 'em coming
Bro
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

JA
Hope I'm doing this right. Nice start on the IP and the nose area of the Mossie; which quite a busy place. Looking forward to seeing the gauges and dials under glass.
As usual, you know I'm still tinkering with the RAF interior green, as my Mossie front office isn't going to have an overall wash but just numerous oil pin washes, so I'm struggling to get close to the color. I've run my Colormunki monitor calibration program and then looked at a zillion images, seeing different shades in the same cockpit, depending on the angle and lighting.
I've pretty much settled in on my mix and hopefully it will be close. Monday should be a great test as we can compare cockpits and interior RAF green and see how each look.
Keep 'em coming
Bro

Pete,
thanks for stopping by. the IP is basically at this point done. In normal lighting, and looking at it in real life, even dry fitted on the cockpit floor and fitted into one fuselage half, it looks really pretty good. Like I said, magnified close to 2:1 the dry brushing tends to look a little to course.

As for the correct color and shade of WWII RAF Interior Green, it's really more a Grayish Green then a pure shade of Green. Don't drive yourself crazy over this issue. Just a few washes and the color darkens up with shadow modulation in every nook and cranny. The difference in highlight to deep shadows while not totally realistic, does in effect create the illusion we're after.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
Joel,
The IP looks great! The PE rudder pedals are a nice touch.

Gaz
kahunaminor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 03:02 AM UTC
Nice choice Joel,

It is a nice kit with few, if any vices. I wasn't aware they had re released an updated. version. Do you know the differences, or could you point me in the direction of a comparison?
All looks good so far and I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Regards,
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:21 AM UTC
JA
driving myself nuts, is my specialty. I realize the magnification is much larger then 1:1 but I was hoping the lenses over the gauges would pop a bit more.
Still looking mighty good
Keep 'em coming
Br
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
The IP looks great! The PE rudder pedals are a nice touch.

Gaz

Gary,
Thanks the thumbs up.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice choice Joel,

It is a nice kit with few, if any vices. I wasn't aware they had re released an updated. version. Do you know the differences, or could you point me in the direction of a comparison?
All looks good so far and I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Regards,

Kent,
I'll have to do a little research to find out exactly what if anything they've done. That's just how the release seems to be referred to.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

JA
driving myself nuts, is my specialty. I realize the magnification is much larger then 1:1 but I was hoping the lenses over the gauges would pop a bit more.
Still looking mighty good
Keep 'em coming
Br

Pete,
In real life the IP instrument lenses look a lot better. No glare from the light source. I guess I could have used a diffuser but it's just a quick grab shot.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:07 AM UTC
JA
Roger that
Bro
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Joel,

the little workspace control center looks really nice :-).

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

the little workspace control center looks really nice :-).

gr TC

Lars,
Thanks for stopping by and appreciating the IP.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
I'm having some difficulty trying to understand why the Mk VI fighter bomber version doesn't have the same bombsite as the Mk IV bomb version has, or any bombsite that I can see. Yet it carries the same internal bomb load.

Can anyone explain or even better yet post some pictures of where it is, if indeed the Mk VI version had a bombsite.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
1st off a thanks to my brother Pete who sent me pictures of the bombsite. Of course it was drawn on the Aires instructions but I didn't know what that part was, nor could I find it. I went looking and sure enough it was in three parts. So I cleaned up the parts, and glued it back together the best I could. I still have to finish dry brushing it, then I'll post a picture of finished IP and bulkhead minus the gunsite glass hopefully in my next update.

Continuing with the cockpit, Tamiya has split each fuselage half into two parts, so that you can build either the Mk II, Mk VI, or the night fighter variant. While the basic fuselage is the same for all the variants, the front cockpit clip is different.

Since I'm using the Aires resin cockpit, I needed to clean up the both inner clip walls.

After dry fitting the Aires cockpit to just one fuselage half, I wasn't to happy with how the side rested against the fuselage side walls, so I decided to glue up the Aires sidewalls to the fuselage halves front clips, then fit the floor.

I glued up each clip the it's adjoining fuselage half. Tamiya uses a outer bracket that locks the two parts together, along with a inner side brace so you're assured a flush and properly aligned joint. The outer bracket will be hidden by the wings, so you don't have to deal with blending it in to the surface.

What I noticed on the inside of the fuselage halves in the bomb bay sections was 6 pin ejector marks on one side, and 8 on the other side. So out came the Bondo to take care of that issue.

Once dried, this allowed me to really test fit the Aires Floor to the side walls. Needless to say it lives up the Aires reputation of needing a fair amount of work to get it to fit. I've been at it for 3 days, and I'm close. My goal is to get the fuselage halves to mate with no pressure. This should assure me a good fit of the cockpit green house glass, nose cone, and the Hispano canon bay door.

Joel

Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
JA
Nice work on fitting the Aires cockpit walls to the Tamiya fuselage walls. Nothing like enjoying the wonderful fit quality of an Aires Front office - geez, I should know with all the practice I've had. Even some of Papa Tamiya 32nd scale kits had their share of ejector pin marks: The P-51 comes to mind in the wheel wells but from the Corsair on, they're toast and gone.
Petty neat how the nose section attaches and I sure hope there isn'y a seam to worry about.
Keep 'em coming
Bro
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Joel,
Those Aires cockpit details sure look nice! And I appreciate seeing how Tamiya has worked the join between cockpit clips and fuselage. They are clever! Looks like you've got them well laid in.

Is that a holstered flare pistol on the right bulkhead, or are my eyes fooling me?

Watching with interest,

Gaz

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

JA
Nice work on fitting the Aires cockpit walls to the Tamiya fuselage walls. Nothing like enjoying the wonderful fit quality of an Aires Front office - geez, I should know with all the practice I've had. Even some of Papa Tamiya 32nd scale kits had their share of ejector pin marks: The P-51 comes to mind in the wheel wells but from the Corsair on, they're toast and gone.
Petty neat how the nose section attaches and I sure hope there isn'y a seam to worry about.
Keep 'em coming
Bro

Pete,
Thanks for stopping by. I have to keep on reminding myself that this kit was molded in the late 90's, so all those ejector pin marks are just the sign of the times.

Some of the seam will show above and below the wing, but it shouldn't be all that hard to deal with. I've got a few pictures of that area on the real deal, and there is absolutely no seam there.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Those Aires cockpit details sure look nice! And I appreciate seeing how Tamiya has worked the join between cockpit clips and fuselage. They are clever! Looks like you've got them well laid in.

Is that a holstered flare pistol on the right bulkhead, or are my eyes fooling me?

Watching with interest,

Gaz

Gary,
I thought the same exact thing. It's a fool proof method, yet I've never seen it used before.

As for the Aires cockpit, it's super detailed, but like way to many of their cockpits, the fit leaves one a lot of work to do.

As for the holster and pistol, that's what I thought it was. not much need for a 45mm in the cockpit.

Joel

Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
Joel,

nice detail on that resin... you are a tid bit too late for me to not make mistakes of forgetting the dryfitting :-S.
It surely looks worth the time. And I look forward to see it with some paint.

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

nice detail on that resin... you are a tid bit too late for me to not make mistakes of forgetting the dryfitting :-S.
It surely looks worth the time. And I look forward to see it with some paint.

gr TC

Lars,
Thanks for stopping by, and liking what I've accomplished so far. I'm just about ready to post another update. I've actually taken a drastic step backwards of dumping the Aires IP and IP Bulkhead for a modified Tamiya IP and Bulkhead from the kit.

Believe me, I've learned my lesion the hard way about dry fitting. Better safe then sorry. That's the case with the IP bulkhead.

Joel
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
I'm following this closely, as I've got the kit in my stash. I was thinking about starting it early given this thread but as I've got a dual build of two Eduard Bf 109 e(4 and 7) on the bench, I've resisted that temptation. I've got similar AM as you but not the cockpit, but sounds like that might be fortunate for me in the future?

regards.