World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been painting all week, but unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the Mossie or any other model. I've run out of excuses to start to paint the remaining rooms that I never painted two years ago. So this vacation week has been all about the never ending "Honey To Do List", and checking off another line item.

Joel

Joel - Every squadron has its C.O. and you are wise to obey yours just as I obey mine.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC
A short Updatge

I've reached the point of my Mossie build where I can almost see the finish line, which after 5 months will be a more then welcome site. As I said in my last update I've very lightly weathered the Mossie, then sealed it with Testors Dullcoat. Finally I was able to remove the masks from the cockpit Greenhouse.

Next up was the installation of the the landing gear and tail wheel. The Tail wheel is by Ultra Cast, looks great, is well detailed, and actually fits in place without any additional work. Too bad I can't say that for the main gear assemblies. Tamiya would have you intall them during the build of the engine nacelles, but that would have made adding details almost impossible, and then doing extensive masking during the painting process that most likely with my luck would have caused all sorts of issues with the Alcad2 Aluminum paint. So I opted to install them after painting and dullcoating. But getting the main struts into their respective mounting holes, and then the trailing braces into theirs presented quite a challenge. Took me well over an hour just to get them into place on a test fit . Then another good half hour to reinstall them with glue on the strut pins, as you can't reach them once they're in place. The rear braces were a lot easier to install and glued after placement with good old Tamiya Extra Thin.

The 4 rockets and stations have been painted, lightly weathered, and a single electrical firing wire attached to each rocket exhaust chamber, and then to the launch rail. I still need to paint the wires before I install them to both wings.

And here's a few grab pictures as to how the Mossie looks now.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:00 PM UTC
Getting myself caught up on your build Joel . It has been awhile since the I dropped last by . I really like how this one is shaping up , well done so far .

Terri
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
Your Mossie looks exceptional, Joel! Well done! 5 months for a build is quite a long time. Put the propellers on and she's ready for take off.

Torsten
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 01:54 AM UTC
That looks great Joel, the weathering has really pulled everything together. What was your preferred option in the end?
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC
Joel,
I can only echo the others I saying how nice your Mossie looks. I like the firing woes addition.

Gaz
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 05:56 AM UTC
Fantastic build Joel. I love the detailing of the rockets!
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Great build and a lovely paint job. You've really got this one spot-on.

Have a great day.

Steve
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Getting myself caught up on your build Joel . It has been awhile since the I dropped last by . I really like how this one is shaping up , well done so far .

Terri

Terri,
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my Mossie built. I'm really glad that you like what you've seen.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your Mossie looks exceptional, Joel! Well done! 5 months for a build is quite a long time. Put the propellers on and she's ready for take off.

Torsten

Torsten,

Why thank you Sir for those most kind words. I guess that I'm slowing down in my old age some. Today I turned a most depressing 69 . Although I did put quite a bit of time into the cockpit, upgraded with resin here and there, and tried to kick it up a rung or two.

I did checkout one prop and spinner, and it did look rather good.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks great Joel, the weathering has really pulled everything together. What was your preferred option in the end?

Paul,
The weathering did somewhat help to tone down the two base colors by darken them just a tad. I used a thinned out Flory wash over two coats of Glosscoat, so that most of it rubbed off quite easily. When I want the full effect of a sludge wash I use it over a matt surface. I also used the Detailer acrylic pin wash in all the panel lines even after the sludge wash. A few coats of Dullcoat, killed the shine to complete the effect of a well maintained operational aircraft.

I'm still fighting a dust issue that I've never really had before. I tried a regular tack cloth but it really was just to tacky to work with. I'm thinking of seeing if a Art store has one specifically art work.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
I can only echo the others I saying how nice your Mossie looks. I like the firing woes addition.

Gaz

Gary,
As always it's great to have you stop by and comment on the latest work. BTW, how's the greenhouse on the B-29 coming? it's been a while since we've had an update.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic build Joel. I love the detailing of the rockets!

Brian,
It's always an honor to have you stop by, and take a look. The rockets are something different, and I just wanted to go that route instead of dumb bombs. The detailing can't get any easier then a piece of bent wire.

I painted all the wires last night with a thick coat of flat paint to simulate insulation, and it really is quite the bang for the buck.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Great build and a lovely paint job. You've really got this one spot-on.

Have a great day.

Steve

Steve,
Always a pleasure to have you stop by and checkout the Mossie. Thanks for appreciating my efforts.

BTW, I've been slowly assembling my next build: Trumpeter's 1/32 F4F-3 late version, Battle of the Coral Sea.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... I guess that I'm slowing down in my old age some. Today I turned a most depressing 69 . ....

Joel

Happy birthday Joel!

Don't say that! A birthday is always a perfect time to look back and rejoice. My dad is 81 and still full of life and plans.
Remember, your age is just how old your passport makes you. Nothing more. If you're healthy and happy that's all that counts. Enjoy your day!

Torsten
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
Joel- Mossie looks great - finish line in sight . ( for the build , not the builder ! )
Happy birthday today and many more to come - remember , growing old is not so bad when one considers the only alternative.
Cheers ! Richard
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC
A very happy birthday Joel !
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the birthday well wishes. As we get older, we don't necessarily get any wiser, at least I don't think I ever did. I've got more aches and pains then ever, and recovery takes so much longer, if I ever do recover from physical issues.

I use to hate going to the doctor, now he's my best friend. I've survived a major heart attack, and cancer twice. I'm blind in my left eye, just to make it a little more interesting modeling up close. And the Arthritis which as been a new twist this year, has mandated that move to 1/32 scale props happen a lot sooner then later.

But for what it's worth I intend to be around for some time to come. I'll continue to be the voice of the left here on Aeroscale.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
Happy birthday, Joel!
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC
Happy Birthday Joel!!

May there be many, many more filled with tons of modelling.

Looking forward to see it all.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Kobus

BTW - the Mossie looks awesome!!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:24 PM UTC
I can use a little help and guidance from those with way more expertise with the Mosquito.

The build is just about done, as I've been touching up painting issues for a few days now that show up only when I take close up photos. I still have one remaining item, and that's the Antenna.

The version MkVI that I'm building is a RCAF Mossie late 1944. Tamiya's instructions only show the antenna Mast on the fuselage spine but no Antenna wire. The online instructions that Aviaeology sent me when I purchased the decals shows an antenna wire from the tail to the mast. The instructions with the decals show a whip antenna but no mast. Online google searches have it both ways and even just an updated radio mast.

I've reopened the mast hole, and then glued the mast into place, then this issue raised its ugly head. So which way would be correct? I'm hoping just the mast, but I'm never that lucky.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
Joel, I thought most of the FB VI's had a whip antenna or none at all. There are NO good photos on the web, that's for sure. Below is a Mossie that looks devoid of the mast or rigging. However, it may be the TSE-TSE version judging by the ventral cannon barrel sticking out. Don't know if that makes a difference. The info is probably in the Osprey Book if anybody has one handy.

Best wishes,

Ian

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Ian,
Thanks for that info. I'm betting that it has a whip antenna. The problem with all the pictures I have is that the antenna wires are so thin you can't see them even if they're there.

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian,
Thanks for that info. I'm betting that it has a whip antenna. The problem with all the pictures I have is that the antenna wires are so thin you can't see them even if they're there.

Joel

Joel - I hope this is helpful rather than adding to the confusion - I have found in my library two very clear shots of the antenna wire but it is on RAF Coastal Command B IV bomber version . There is what seems to be a pitot high on the leading edge of the vertical stab . About halfway down to the fuselage spine is where the antenna insulator attaches. Wire leads forward to another insulator trailing from the mast and then out board to some where on the port wing - this part is not very clear.
I know it is neither the type or service you are modeling but if you want to view it I will try to get the image to you. Part of our household computer woes is an uncooperative scanner. Our techie ( oldest daughter) will be around for Thanksgiving and has promised to look into this quagmire.
Anyhow - Let me know - Richard
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
So I guess your' to old for the birthday bumps .....

Happy B-day Joel !

Terri