World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
Ah......very nice Joel. Shading with a hard edge camo looks really striking. Plus, the Mossie is such a beautiful airplane. Well done, indeed.

Regards,

Ian
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
I really like the fading you have done on the mossie. You have a little silvering on your tail stencils but its hardly noticable, I seem to get silvering on smaller decals like that all the time. Great work !
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Your mossie is really starting to look interesting. Decals look good and add some neccesary detail to a large-ish kit. Looking forward to see how you draw it all together with weathering and final building steps.

Gaz

Gary,
Yeah, it's starting to finally look like a Mossie. I'm still up in the air as to just how much weathering to do. At this point I'm inclined to have it look like a rather well maintained operational aircraft, as the time period is early 1945, and the Allies rules the skies, so that the ground crews should have been able to spend more time on basic housekeeping. Also the aircraft itself hasn't been around all that long.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She's really coming to life now Joel, the decals look great.

Paul,
Thanks for checking out the decaling. Believe me, most of the credit goes to Aviaeology excellent decals.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Like all of the above said, your Mossie is really coming about fine.
Your painting approach is quite different from mine, so I always enjoy looking. Much like Matriaxone, your faded paint technique delivers a convincing result, very eye catching.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro,
My painting seems to be in a constant state of experimentation, as I like to try out new and different techniques looking for what works for me, and better represents the "look & feel" I'm trying to achieve. Black Basing my way seems to offer the best approach to date.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the fading you have done on the mossie. You have a little silvering on your tail stencils but its hardly noticable, I seem to get silvering on smaller decals like that all the time. Great work !

James,
Thanks for stopping by and checking out the Mossie.

All the decals have been applied to a gloss surface, but haven't been sealed as yet, so they will tend to reflect light some what unevenly. I'm not sure if that's the case or there is indeed a little silvering present. I'll give those tail decals another application of Solvaset or maybe Mr.Mark Softner, and see if that doesn't cure the problem.
Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
Bravo Joel! Your Mossie is really coming along nicely. Well done on the decals. If you have time I would like to see a close up of the nose art. Nose art on RAF planes was not very common, so this makes the Mossie even more an eye catcher. And as you have experienced now, there is no need to condemn Tamiya decals if you do it right. Neither Tamiya nor Hasegawa.

Torsten
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC
Joel,
Nothing wrong with a lightly weathered warbird. Some light exhaust smudging...a few specks off dirt and voila!

Then again...it was new at some time...lol

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bravo Joel! Your Mossie is really coming along nicely. Well done on the decals. If you have time I would like to see a close up of the nose art. Nose art on RAF planes was not very common, so this makes the Mossie even more an eye catcher. And as you have experienced now, there is no need to condemn Tamiya decals if you do it right. Neither Tamiya nor Hasegawa.

Torsten

Torsten,
The Tamiya decals certainly were a pleasant surprise.

Here's a close up of the nose art.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Nothing wrong with a lightly weathered warbird. Some light exhaust smudging...a few specks off dirt and voila!

Then again...it was new at some time...lol

Gaz

Gary
Everything was new at some point in time. Even I was a million years ago.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah......very nice Joel. Shading with a hard edge camo looks really striking. Plus, the Mossie is such a beautiful airplane. Well done, indeed.

Regards,

Ian

Ian,
Don't know how I missed your post. Sorry about that.

And thanks for stopping by and checking out the Mossie. glad that you liked the hard edge camo paint scheme. It's not razor sharp, but close to it, and that was the intention why I used Silly putty.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
G'day Joel.

I'm still following along quietly here in the background, loving your progress! The weathered paint looks great and it was such a relief to see that the markings and stencils went on relatively trouble-free.

Looking forward to the next report.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Joel.

I'm still following along quietly here in the background, loving your progress! The weathered paint looks great and it was such a relief to see that the markings and stencils went on relatively trouble-free.

Looking forward to the next report.

Cheers, D

Hey D,
So glad that you stopped by. Believe me your not the only one was relieved that for once there wasn't any decals issues other then my screw up. Gotta say that it's about the best decal job I've ever done. All the credit really goes to Aviaeology.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:40 AM UTC
The decals surely liven things up a bit!

Magnus
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:43 AM UTC
Joel - Looking very nice indeed ! I hope to see it in person at Mosquitocon !
Cheers - Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The decals surely liven things up a bit!

Magnus

Magnus,
Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, they really do liven up a drab WW11 camo scheme.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel - Looking very nice indeed ! I hope to see it in person at Mosquitocon !
Cheers - Richard

Richard,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I keep on forgetting that you live in NJ, and the Mosquitocom is in your backyard. Looking forward to you joining Brian, Pete, and myself for the day.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
Time for another update.

Work has been slowly moving forward on the rather complex landing gear assemblies. The kit tires and wheels are molded separately for easier painting, and the tread pattern is quite good, yet when I saw the Ultra Cast resin wheels and their detailed side walls, I opted to go with them instead.

The Mossie has what I'd term main landing gear that looks more like what a bomber would have, rather then a fighter/bomber. Tamiya even way back in 1996 did an excellent job of molding them. Each landing gear is like a mini model comprised of 7 pieces. The right and left strut sections are extremely well detailed. the left side contains a full axile that glues in the other sides wheel bearing housing.

So the main wheel is automatically aligned and quite sturdy.

The problem with this is that's it's becomes a nightmare to try and paint the assembly in various shades of Alcad2. I decided that the best solution for me was to remove the axile, drill out both bearing housings, and using Evergreen tubing to make new axiles.

And here's what the new strut assembly looks like.

I assembled each main landing gear assembly minus the oil tank, the fender, and wheel. The main strut assembly, fender, and oil tank were painted Alcad2 Dark Aluminum #103. The wheels were painted Alcad2 Flat Aluminum #101, and the piston rods were painted Alcad2 Chrome # 107. They were all airbrushed on straight from the bottle @ a flow rate of 12 psi. When dry the main strut where given a light wash of "The Detailer" which is water based, then the excess was wipped off with a damp Q-Tip. The struts haven't been sealed as yet, and I'm really thinking of leaving them this way. If I do seal them, it will be with Testors Model Master Sealer as it has the least effect on the actual colors of any clear sealer I've used to date.

One thing to note is that the oil tanks seem to have been painted RAFIG, Bakerlite Brownish Red, or left natural Metal. My research has shown that natural Metal is the correct way to go for the restoration that I'm using.

Here's both main wheel landing gear assemblies ready to be installed.

In the last picture you can see that there is no back to the tank. This fits up against a bulkhead, so I didn't bother correcting that.

I also opted to use the Ultra Cast rear wheel assembly rather then the kit assembly as it is quite nicely detailed.

I'm just finishing up the light weathering I did on the fuselage with two coats of Testors Dullcoat, and will post a small update in a few days.

Joel

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:59 AM UTC
Joel - Landing gear looks great - great idea on creating a separate axle to ease the painting process. I've got one of these in my stash and I'm going to write myself a note on this and stick it in the box so I remember it come the day I get off my current Japanese kick and do some Brit stuff again . Also love the tire treatment.
Cheers - Richard
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
Joel,
The wheel and landing gear assemblies look great! Tamiya really does a nice job with the modlings, and your painting techniques highlight the details excellently.

Gaz
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
Another fine update Joel, the Alclad certainly pays for itself as the scale effect of the metal looks very convincing.
I see exactly what you mean about the look of the gear assembly as It is very reminiscent to me of the Lancaster main gear.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel - Landing gear looks great - great idea on creating a separate axle to ease the painting process. I've got one of these in my stash and I'm going to write myself a note on this and stick it in the box so I remember it come the day I get off my current Japanese kick and do some Brit stuff again . Also love the tire treatment.
Cheers - Richard

Richard,
Thanks for appreciating how the landing gear came out. As for the idea of a separate axle, I only wish that I was the 1st to come up with it, but I've seen this done by others over the years. Simple, yet very effective.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
The wheel and landing gear assemblies look great! Tamiya really does a nice job with the modlings, and your painting techniques highlight the details excellently.

Gaz

Gary,
I actually amazed myself at how well the gear assemblies turned out. But the credit goes to the Alcad2 System. The only thing I do differently these days is instead of a glossy black base coat, I use MIG AMMO black primer thinned 1:1, and it dries smooth as silk.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another fine update Joel, the Alclad certainly pays for itself as the scale effect of the metal looks very convincing.
I see exactly what you mean about the look of the gear assembly as It is very reminiscent to me of the Lancaster main gear.

Paul,
thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my update on the Mossie.

I've tried a few different NMF finishes, but the Alcad2 system works perfectly, and dries hard as nails. I used an Acrylic wash without sealing the finish, then wiped off the excess without a single issue.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
I've been painting all week, but unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the Mossie or any other model. I've run out of excuses to start to paint the remaining rooms that I never painted two years ago. So this vacation week has been all about the never ending "Honey To Do List", and checking off another line item.

Joel