Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Pax and Pallets Campaign
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 04:38 AM UTC
For the C-47, the kit decals include white or yellow alternatives for the code numbers and “Jungle Skippers” logo.

Possibly both were used, but I found this color picture showing yellow, so I went for that.
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 04:57 AM UTC
The yellow markings with their relatively lower contrast look good against the olive drab. As with the L2D, the C-47 received new black fuselage windows in lieu of the pale blue windows provided by Hasegawa. The kit decals were applied otherwise unaltered.

I especially enjoyed the nicely rendered nose art!

TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 09:12 AM UTC
Apparently to enable them to use the same molds to depict different DC-3 variants, Hasegawa chose to represent the various doors and side windows with decals rather than engraving them into the fuselage.

While this approach wouldn’t have been my first choice, it works well enough in this small scale.
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 05:56 PM UTC
Tim
I really like the look of the decals on your C-47! They bring your already fine model to life.
Have fun modeling!
Mike
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 - 05:33 AM UTC
yellow on OD is an unforgettable classic look.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 - 06:28 AM UTC
Tim, your C-47 is looking good and in a scale that I need my magnifying hood on to see. Great job.

Bob
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi All,

Lots of really nice builds going on here! I've not made an update in quite some time due to getting side-lined for six weeks, and apparently the recovery time was also about six weeks. Fortunately, all seems to have worked, more follow-ups will tell. I was able to do a little bit of work on the C-47, and as I got stronger, a lot more. So, without further ado, here's where I've gotten to, including some writing from prior to my absence.

Jessica and Paul, never underestimate the modelling section called “researching your project”. Guilty with an explanation! Ironically while a CAF groupie in my youth I got to fly, fly in, work on and in DC-3’s. Based on that background and knowing that this build for me is about seams and stripes, I figured I was good to go. I took Jessica’s advice and did some background and found a pretty darned cool pic of the plane that happens to have the decals in the kit (not the best, but will make for some stencils, maybe). Looks like I’ll be doing “Surf and Sport Special” a bit after D-Day. The pictures were taken during operation Market Garden, with the white stripes removed from the top, along with some flak patches. Yes, the grommets are quite visible in the pic as a few are removed. We live and learn. Paul, I believe that you’re right, it won’t detract from the build. I’m not going to add them now!

I did manage to get the glass in, and it turned out ok. I’ll need to do some white glue along the edges to tidy things up. I then closed up the fuselage after a basic wash on what may be visible through the boarding door in the rear. Still not sure if it’ll be open or not…most likely yes.

Next came the arduous task of filling the rather large seam on the top of the fuselage. I began with Tamiya grey putty, sanded, then Mr. Surfacer 500, filled and sanded three times. Finally, I used Mr. Surfacer 1000, sanding and testing it with some Tamiya chrome silver.

The joys of seam filling!

I then moved onto the wings. Not liking the way the landing lights looked, I tried something new to me. I opted to make some new ones by cutting some acrylic rod (1/2 inch) in half, then smoothing it out. I then drilled a hole in the back, added a drop of chrome silver, and painted the back black. Next, I epoxied the new lights into their respective places on the wings. This was followed with some strategic grinding with the Dremel, and then sanding down using progressively finer grits until they were clear.

I think they turned out ok. One thing I will do in the future is use a smaller drill bit to mimic the light, as I didn’t take into account the refraction of light, so at some angles the light looks a bit oval. For this project, I can live with it!

The rest of the airframe was assembled with little fanfare. There are two other areas that have sizable gaps, which are the wing/fuselage join, and the wing/fuselage at the aft base of the wing. These were also filled and took five filling, sanding, repeat sessions.

All of the sanding meant that the panel lines on top of the fuselage were lost, despite taping off the area to be worked on. Then there was an inadvertent landing of a lacquer-soaked rag hitting the top and really doing a number on the fine panel lines. Normally, I’d rescribe the area with a number 11 blade, however, this area was large, and I didn’t have the proper lighting to pull it off. After reading many a modelers solution to restoring raised panel lines I barrowed some ideas and gave it the ole Moran twist.

First, I laid a strip of Tamiya tape along the line to be replaced, and then marked the tape with a start and finish point for the restoration.

Next, I laid a second piece of Tamiya tape along the first strip. While it may not appear to a gap, one is present albeit very small, which is what I desired.

Lastly, I brushed Mr. Surfacer 1000 over the area between the marks, let it dry and then removed the tape. I was rewarded with a nice clean restored panel line.

I proceeded to restore all of the lost panel lines. After looking at them I opted to lightly sand them down with 1500 grit paper to bring them in line with the surrounding panels. Of note, after painting the topside I found that I’d not sanded the lines down enough, so I repeated the sanding until I was satisfied.

Placing the windscreen proved to be a challenge. Fearing that I would break it, I chose to remove the outer most portion of each side of the glass. I then glued the end pieces into the fuselage. Somewhere along the way of filling a seam, one disappeared. Searching high and low found nothing, and I came to the grim realization that my zealous sweeping sister-in-law had most likely claimed a prize from the tile monster!

This lead me to scratch two new windows using some scrap from a falcon canopy set. They turned out looking better than the originals, though the fit with the whole windscreen is fairly poor in my opinion.

Also, during all of this I managed to push one of the side windows free, where it dangled for much of the filling process. I broke the bond and let ride through the painting process.

Finally, I replaced the kits propeller mounts using brass tubing, and attaching brass to the back of the props, so it would slide into place. I’ve found on many a Monogram kit that the props suffer droop, and didn’t want to see that.

Painting and decaling was up next. After careful consideration I determined that the decals would not be useable, so I purchased a Montex C-47 set, which contained the markings for Q9 “Sport and Surf special”. I’d always wanted to try these, and this looked like a great opportunity.

I painted all the marking areas white, with Tamiya X-2 gloss white. I then masked the markings.

The Montex set of masks really didn’t have any instructions, a theme with this build. I was able to find the directions online at the Montex site, which helped quite a lot. I did the wing stripes with no problem, the fuselage ones however would not work, so I relied on the old time method of marking the forward stripe, and moving aft. I decided to decal the fuselages and use the Montex masks to cover them (not a wise move), looking primarily at assuring the striped area would be correct, given I have a few of the 40 inch US insignias in my spare decal collection.

Masking the insignias was a real challenge as the mask set I received didn’t perform as the instructions would indicate. Instead of the whole insignia mask coming off, it came off in parts. This lead me to lay the outer part down first, then use a home brew of insignia blue (Tamiya X-4 blue and XF-17 sea blue 1:1) which matched the blue on the decals. So I was happy. I was able to put the masks together and it was time to move onto painting the airframe.

I began on the underside using Tamiya XF-53 Neutral grey, allowing it to dry overnight. I then masked the undersides in preparation for the olive drab uppers.

I painted the upper surfaces with Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab cut with X-2 White 2:1. Having used Tamiya’s olive drab before I find it a bit dark, so the white was added to take into account scale and fad it a little. The uppers were then painted.

I removed all the masks and then painted the de-icing boots on the wings and tail using Tamiya NATO Black, a very dark grey actually.

So, I’m now left with a major touch up job, there are a few stripes that need the white retouched, along with some grey and olive drab. Then onto the little bits and landing gear. With less than a week to go on this campaign I’m afraid I won’t be able to finish unless there’s an extension. I know that I’m not alone here!

Have fun!

John
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 12:48 AM UTC
John,

That is some awesome work on your C-47! I love your solution to the destroyed raised panel line problem - I'll have to remember that. Your build makes me want to take on one of those larger Dakotas myself...

KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 04:06 AM UTC
Lots of great work still going on but sadly I have to report my first failed campaign !
I made a lot of great progress with my Dakota and associated blog but my modelling interest completely deserted me after being so focused on build after build for the last couple of years. I'll finish her up in due time of course when the bug bites again !
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim
I really like the look of the decals on your C-47! They bring your already fine model to life. Have fun modeling!
Mike

Quoted Text

yellow on OD is an unforgettable classic look.

Quoted Text

Tim, your C-47 is looking good and in a scale that I need my magnifying hood on to see. Great job.
Bob

Thanks guys - almost there!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 11:23 AM UTC
So close, and yet so far. Got all the main painting done, started to unmask and I've got all sorts of seepage under the tape. Acrylic on lacquer, I should be able to scrub it off with acryl thinner. No luck, it stripping through the coat and eating away at the lacquer. Another spray session in hopes of salvaging the finish...

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:43 PM UTC
Great work on your C-47 John while Tim your pair are also looking superb. I feel for you Mark with your seepage, something that has plagued me with my build.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:47 PM UTC
The Hastings has had its top coat of white.

Only the decals to do which don't look like they'll be any fun at all. Printed on a single sheet each one has to be cut to shape.
June 1 is going to be tight.

cheers
Michael
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 06:43 PM UTC
Michael and Tim, thanks for the kind words. Tim really like the little gems, I was disappointed that I didn't have any khaki drab in the paint box. I like the color and would like to give it a whirl.

Mark, don't lose faith! You can do it. Paul, I feel ya man. Hoping the bug bites sooner than later.

I was able to get the grey sprayed to get rid of the white, and got the white done over the seepage on the fuselage stripes and wing. For me, I spray grey first, then the white. Getting rid of black on white is really tough! Next up, black touch ups, and a couple of decals. Then the fiddly bits. June first remains in doubt...
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:00 PM UTC
John

That is great work on your C-47! I really appreciate the careful walk through you gave on each step. Well dobne!
Have fun modeling
Mike
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....June first remains in doubt...

Well, mates and dear campaign leader, my Connie is still in need of some paint work and the decals. Finishing it till the deadline of June 1st will probably be out of reach

So I hope there can be an extension like a fortnight?
Cheers
Peter

P.S. I must confess, I got a little carried away with my F-4 C for the Vietnam Campaign...
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:06 PM UTC
I am certainly going to grant an extension, given the number of projects moving very rapidly.

Cosimodo the Hastings is looking glorious;
john41492, please sir get that big bird done;
B-17 Peter - finish up the mighty Constellation;
Mike I, the Cessna looks great with its decals on, how close to being finished!
eMan, I am sure you can get the Gigant finished, i've seen you work.
Tim R, you have clearly paced yourself to finish with ease.

And it would be a great honor to me, as a long time campaign leader to give a completion ribbon the Mark Doremus - paint incompatability and all, I know you can do it!

I am moving the close date to end of day Sunday, June 10th.

that might even get me to finish my project, which i havent opened in months
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 - 07:01 PM UTC
Outstanding call, Jonathan! Thanks for the extension in the deadline. I should have my Cessna finished this week but this will give me the time to not rush the final details and also to photograph it properly.

There are so many cool builds that are almost finished, it will be great to see the completed models in a few weeks.
Have fun modeling!
Mike
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 12:21 AM UTC
Thanks guyz, it's clear that I'm not going to get done by Friday. But there's hope for this old bird yet. I masked off the hull, the nose and a spot on the top wing to reshoot the silver lacquer. Got too enthusiastic on the wing and had over spray on the red, missed a spot on the nose, and then when I pulled the masking off of the hull hald the black paint came with it. A bit of brush work and everything looks good enough.

Got some dull lacquer on it last night, hope to get some Future on tonight, then decals and a clear coat. Dress up the stand and this one will be in the books!
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC
Progress updating.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 05:18 PM UTC
Down to the wire. Got the decals on (just not in the right places) A dose of clear coat, peel off the masking, add the props and it's DONE.

eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 08:21 PM UTC
Me-321 D-1 finished.

V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi everyone!

I just managed to cross the finish line with my Ethiopian Airlines Cessna 172. Ya! Here's how it looks fresh off my modeling bench. I actually managed to finish it on time earlier this week but was only able to shoot the photos last night. Enjoy!

All of the photos I have seen show the underside of the fuselage really stained from landing on unprepared landing strips. I also scratchbuilt a new exhaust to better represent what I saw in the photos (last photo).

Thanks for a really fun campaign!
Have fun modeling
Mike
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 03:04 AM UTC
Mike, that is just beautiful. It has been fun watching it get built.

eMan, another fine build, the splinter camo is razor sharp!
I love the doors open and ramp down. I would like to do that with a C-124 someday.

two weekends and the days in between remain for everyone still working. lets go guys!

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 06:49 AM UTC
More progress on the "Super-Connie"