Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Pax and Pallets Campaign
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:57 AM UTC
Mike,
The Cessna looks superb. As Jonathan said, its been great following your build of this little iconic plane.
And EMan love the tiny Gigant!

I have question on portraying a windscreen, The kit came with decals but there is no way the shape of the flat decal conforms to the contours of the Hastings.
I have masked up what looks like the front windows but I wondered now I have done that is there a better way. Any thoughts?

cheers
Michael
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC
eMAn: The Gigant looks really great! Outstanding work. I think this calls for a diorama, where the Gigant is loaded up!

Mike: Congrats to Your finished Cessna! It is a real gem and I like it very much!

Oliver
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,
The Cessna looks superb. As Jonathan said, its been great following your build of this little iconic plane.
And EMan love the tiny Gigant!

I have question on portraying a windscreen, The kit came with decals but there is no way the shape of the flat decal conforms to the contours of the Hastings.
I have masked up what looks like the front windows but I wondered now I have done that is there a better way. Any thoughts?

cheers
Michael

That's nice masking tape work. I am often daunted by masking the canopy.
There are only two ways, you can either mask the bars and paint the windows or mask the windows and paint the bars. positive or negative. so cut narrow crossing strips, or cut little rectangles, Ive done it both ways, and the strips are likely to look more regular and accurate than the rectangles, especially when there are triangular corner and eye-brow windows.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks Jonathan,
I will airbrush today and see how it turns out.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 07:12 PM UTC
Well that worked.

I'm pretty happy with it so now I can get on with the rest of it and put on the decals.

cheers
Michael
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:07 AM UTC
Michael

Wow, that really worked out well as a replacement for the decals. Using the tape/paint to create window markings looks great! Thanks for the excellent tip as this approach should be useful in future builds.
Have fun modeling!
Mike
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 01:11 AM UTC
The tiny Gooney Birds are finished!

The American bird represents a C-47 of 317 Troop Carrier Group (TCG), 55 Troop Carrier Squadron (TCS) Mindoro, 1944.

The Japanese plane is an L2D2 type Zero transport (“Tabby”) of the Yokosuka Naval Flying Group, 1945.

Both are 1/200 scale.

V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 02:11 AM UTC
Tim
Your C-47s are outstanding! It is hard to believe that these are 1/200 scale. Great work!
Have fun modeling
Mike
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:17 PM UTC
Done, done, DONE! DONE!! Airfix 1/144 scale Boeing Model 314 Dixie Clipper.

Minicraft did a nice job of cleaning this kit up for Airfix, but I managed to make it difficult for myself.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:28 PM UTC
And I got my photos into the gallery on the first try.

Wow are there really only 5 finishers so far?? I thought I was tail end Charley.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 09:14 PM UTC
Tim,
Your tiny little Goonies are fantastic. Put me to shame with my 1/144 scale effort.
And Mark, congratulations on your PanAm Clipper. It looks superb.
And no, your not tail end Charlie!

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 09:19 PM UTC
Here's my Handley Page Hastings C3 of the Royal New Zealand Air Force Transport Wing, circa 1950s

Thanks Jonathan for organising this campaign and all your advise on building this little monster.
Photos also in the gallery.

cheers
Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 01:32 AM UTC
Well Michael, that's a fantastic finish. The windows look great.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 06:47 AM UTC
Michael, that looks great! It is most definately a Hastings.
Congratulations on finishing a very challenging kit.
thanks for staying to the end!

Mark D! the clipper is finished! that is a fine looking model, just gotta love a big flying boat. so glad you got her done.
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 07:52 PM UTC
@Mark and Michael: Congrats to your impressive builds!! I did that Airfix Clipper myself decades ago, liked the kit very much, too
The Hastings looks great, I hope my Connie will come out half as good as your builds
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi mates, last night I could more or less finish my Lockheed Super Constellation

I'm still thinking about some weathering and the sort of varnishing coat. Then the photos for the gallery.
The kit went together very well, not much putty needed.
Decals were very good printed and nice to handle.

Only thing that sucked, was painting the fuselage white by hand(as I usually do). I really came to hate this color, no matter whether by Tamiya, Gunze or Humbrol...
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC
Peter, nice work! I agree, gloss white is the most difficult color to paint. It looks good from here. The polished metal and wing walkways look sharp too.
Engine exhaust streaks would add some realism, these were the most elegant airliners of the day, and always had to look as good as possible for Miss Hepburn

john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi All,

Some really nice builds crossing the line! Tim, love your little gems, Mark, the Clipper looks great. Michael, your Hastings turned out well, like the window effect. Peter, nice job on the Connie, I always liked the TWA markings, then again I grew up in St. Louis!

And none of you were "tail end Charlie"! I hope I'm not either Hahaha!
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:58 AM UTC
I was able to complete this monster of a kit! I got it complete on the 6th, which I found rather fitting, given the 74th anniversary of D-Day.

This particular kit has travelled more than most people! Made in Illinois, purchased in Phoenix, where it sat in a garage for about 30 years (I believe this is where the considerable warpage came from), purchased by me for 20USD including shipping to Atlanta, and finally, a move to Malaysia.

The kit is a nice kit, the only real issues I had were the seams that tend to come with older, bigger Monogram kits, and the windscreen, which tended to undo itself several times. All the other issues were self induced.

This was the first time at trying Montex masks, and while they didn't perform too well for me (perhaps due to age or handling during shipping, and made for the Trumpeter kit) I was entertained using them. Granted the tail code is wrong (as were the kits), and the stripes were not quite wide enough, though you'd be hard pressed to tell by looking. I goofed on the upper wing insignia when I hit the plane with some diluted Buff, so it was replaced with a AM TBF insignia (a bit lighter to show fading). I did use the kit decals for the nose art and tail codes, a bit thick but worked just fine, the fuselage insignia are from a P-47 set from Lifelike. I will try these masks again, as the maker suggests that one should practice using them. Though, my next try will be insignias that are red circles!

I do apologize for the quality of the photos, getting decent lights here has proved to be a challenge, as are some other things, but I'll get there eventually.

Here it is, I hope you enjoy!

Jonathan, thank you for the campaign, and the extension! I found it enjoying, and I get a big kit built out of the stash. This is a "must have" plane if one models World War II aircraft, and if not for this campaign it would continue to sit in the closet. I'm looking forward to your next one!

John
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 01:15 PM UTC
wow, happy D-Day anniversary!
We all benefited from some pretty good lessons learned in the building of that thing, and she looks fine!
I agree the C-47 is a must-have. I myself have built two, and have two un-built.

thanks for joining, and hope to see your work again.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 03:11 PM UTC
Peter, That's a great job on the Constellation, a true classic with that triple fin tail.
John, your C-47 is a great rendition of The transport plane of the 20th century. I haven't built one but the few versions in this campaign suggest I should fix that soon.

cheers

Michael
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter, That's a great job on the Constellation, a true classic with that triple fin tail.
John, your C-47 is a great rendition of The transport plane of the 20th century. I haven't built one but the few versions in this campaign suggest I should fix that soon.

cheers

Michael

Michael, If you'd like to stay with 144, the Minicraft kit is quite nice for small money, plus

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

cheers
Michael

Thanks Michael
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter, nice work! I agree, gloss white is the most difficult color to paint. It looks good from here. The polished metal and wing walkways look sharp too.
Engine exhaust streaks would add some realism, these were the most elegant airliners of the day, and always had to look as good as possible for Miss Hepburn

Thanks Jonathan! I will add the streaks soon, and I like the picture very much. My wife's a big admirer of Miss H.
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:40 PM UTC

Hello mates, that's the end product of my work and I'm happy to have finished in time.
Thanks Jonathan, for the extension and the fine campaign with so many beautiful models. Congrats to all finishers!