Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Bombers 2 Campaign
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 07:40 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Jose, I also like how you've painted your He 111. I still have the old quarterscale Monogram He 111 somewhere in my stash. Should build it some day ....

Bob, your Fokker is also coming along nicely. Keep it coming!

A small update from me without photos today. After that nerve-wracking match between Sweden and Germany yesterday evening (sorry Sweden!) I demasked my PZL 37. That took me only 30 minutes; compared with the 3 days masking it's unfair, isn't it .... Only a few small paint corrections I must do. Today I assembled the main landing gear and all doors for the wheel wells and bomb bays. Tomorrow I'll do some paint corrections and then follows Bodenglänzer (german equivalent to Future). So, if everything goes well, my build will be finished by next weekend. Photos will follow, so stay tuned ....

Torsten
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:00 AM UTC
Jose: Nice progress on the Heinkel. The paint job looks good.
I do not know the ICM kit of the Dornier 17 but, the Airfix one has some serious flaws concerning its fit. Especially the one of the motors.

Torsten: The paint job of your PZL is spot on! Can´t wait to see it finished.

Bob: The Fokker is coming along very nice!

Oliver
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Oliver, I've built the Airfix Do 17 last year and have had no trouble at all with engine fitting. I did read that some people had some issues with engines, but there was nothing out of ordinary with mine. Maybe only some copies were affected. I would gladly recommend it to anyone, still my best model so far.
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:25 PM UTC
@Torsten: Sorry but bombers in 1/48 its not for me
@Oliver: Thanks for your words. I will use my Do-178 in the next bombers campaign....

A litte update. I finished the decaling of my model. Is the first time wich I see a good decal sheet in an Airfix kit.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:35 PM UTC
Oliver, thank you for the kind words.

Jose, your He111 is really coming together nicely.

Bob
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi All,

Torsten, really liking your PZL!
Jose! So good to see you back at the bench, very nice 111.
Bob, been following both your unusual builds with interest, they're coming along nicely.

I've been grinding, gluing, and about to fill the engine nacelle areas (everything times 4). When it hit me that I'd overlooked just how much weight would be needed to keep this monster from being a tail dragger.

Soooo, a test fit was in order.

No real surprises, having built the J variant, pretty much the same things rear their head. The engine/cowl join, the tail gap, aside from that no real hurdles, except the shear size!

So, I taped a cup to the top of the cockpit and began to load in fishing weights, once the nose went down, I added a few more to be on the safe side.

The grand total? A whopping 157 grams!

Have fun!

John
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 11:39 AM UTC
@John,

157 grams????
Its a huge weight!!!!

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 07:25 PM UTC
157 grams is really a lot, John. Do you think, the nose gear can handle that weight? Be sure it won't break.
A few years ago I've built the 1/48 F7F Tigercat from Italeri and had to put 80 grams of weight into the nose. The nose landing gear is long and thin but it didn't break.

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:54 AM UTC
Some photos of my "Los" close to the finish line. The decals are veeeeery thin (too thin in my opinion) and brittle. I had to repair some of them and one of the "Los A" decals was completely destroyed so that I couldn't use it ....

This evening I'll paint the exhausts and tomorrow I'll do the final matt coating and demask the cockpit. Everthing will be done by Sunday, I think. So this bird will make it for the Leipzig Expo in 1 1/2 weeks ....

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 02:32 AM UTC
A long way has come to an end and even with the summer heat over here and Germany out of the World Cup .... ... I was quite busy at my bench this week to finish this baby. Now I call it clear for take off .... Demasking the cockpit yesterday evening was really fiddly, btw.
PZL 37 A, Nr. 72.11, 212. Sqn, Polish Air Force, Warsaw, December 1938

Thanks for this great campaign which gave me the chance to build a rare seen aircraft (I know only 1 other completed). This kit has quite some nasty issues and there's a lot of fitting, filling and sanding to do. Though it's as expensive as an ordinary Tamiya or Hasegawa kit, it has not their quality. But finally I'm glad to have it in my collection now.

Happy modelling and good luck for all your builds!
Torsten
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 02:56 AM UTC
Very nice work Torsten, congrats!

Needless to say, don't forget the gallery.

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:24 AM UTC
Torsten, nice job. The green house looks really good.

Bob
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:30 PM UTC
Hi everybody.
After long four months (I think), I finished my Lanc. This is Lancaster B Mk.I flown by 300 Sqdn RAF (Dywizjon Ziemi Mazowieckiej). This was a Polish RAF unit stationed in Faldingworth. This is my attempt to commemorate 100 years of Polish Air Force as well as take part in Bomber Campaign.
I am quite happy with the end result, I have learned a lot and I think my paint job has improved quite a bit. I can no longer see edges in between colours and there were no brush strokes. Matt varnish coat failed me, I still don't know how to thin it properly and this has unfortunately left brush strokes in places. Well, lessons have been learned. Model itself was pure pleasure. My only grief lies with lack of crew figurines (only the pilot was provided) and much more importantly - no bombs were included in the set. There is a note in the instructions to buy a separate 'Bomber resupply' kit for the bombs, but I think this is very unethical business strategy on part of Airfix to force people to buy two boxes to complete one plane. Bomber without bombs is like tank without a gun. I was quite a bit annoyed at that.

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Torsten, nice job. The green house looks really good.

Bob

Schließe mich an, gut gemacht, Torsten!
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:23 AM UTC
@Torsten: Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the aircraft and the painting.... another kit to put in my wishlist

Shrimpman: I don´t know you are unhappy with your LANC!!! For me is OK. I agreed with you with the Airfix politic of selling bombs in another way, Hasegawa allways did the same in some kits.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC
Bob, it’s looking very good, as is your Avro also. Both unusual subjects from a rarely seen model brand.

In fact there are several ongoing models that caught attention easily. Well done!

Hoping to post first build photos of my Ju.188 soon.

Cheers
Pedro
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 03:57 AM UTC
Very nice work, Shrimpman! I don't normally do 1/72 but those new-tool Airfix Lancs and B-17s are very tempting.

Don't forget to post your finished pics in the campaign gallery everyone!

Michael
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC
Shrmpman, I'm impressed! Hand painted, and it looks great! I'm humbled by you skills!!

And for those wondering, yes, the airframe will handle the weight. First tests showed 148 grams, but I added a bit more, and 157 was the amount. The few others that have completed this bird had higher amounts! I have no fear!
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 04:55 AM UTC
Famous last words!!! Hahahaha!
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:05 AM UTC
@JOhn

Tell us is the landing gear survive after de 157 grams.....
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 06:43 PM UTC
Jose,

My friend I shall keep you posted!
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi
I tried to upload my pictures to campaign gallery, but some of the files were too large. I cut them down and tried again - something crashed. The gallery does not show anything, but it says i have my 4 images in my queue. Should I post them again or wait a bit?

Update: Nevermind, I figured it out. I got around the problem by submitting pictures one by one rather than all at once.
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hello folks. Here is my entry for the GB

He111 H-6 by iflytb20, on Flickr

Start picture

I started the build on the 29th but didn't get the time to transfer the images from the camera to the computer. Today I finally got some free time to post the pics.

Working with various sub-assemblies

Got the interiors painted....

...and the fuselage glued together

Now I'm off to the paint booth to get some camo on. Hope to finish it in the next few days as I will be traveling next week and won't be able to return to the bench till the 1st of Sep

Thanks for looking
Cheers
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 02:21 PM UTC
John. What scheme have planned on ?

Shrimpman, nice job on your Lanc.

Bob
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 03:11 PM UTC
Hi Bob!

I'm planning to use the kit's decals to depict "Fightin Sam". Olive drab uppers, Neutral grey under. I like the "L'lil Abner" theme, as it goes with some P-47's that had the same nose art.

I'm optimistic that the decals will do alright. They've been protected in zip-locks, so we'll see.

Ironically, I was test fitting the tail when I noticed you're post. I'm also doing a P-47, for kicks I compared the tail span to the wing span of the 47, the P-47's is about 2.5 inches longer. This is a huge!! Plane!! Not a clue where it will go when done! My guess is next to the C-47, should make quite an impressive dust bunny!

Updates to come soon! Take care.

John