Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: MTO Campaign
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 01:01 PM UTC
I've heard a bunch of people claim the Fly Hurricane is an unbuildable mess, and yet here you are to prove otherwise.
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:39 PM UTC
@John - Thanks, mate

@Mike - Thank you, too, and I'm looking forward to the finish of your Hurricane
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've heard a bunch of people claim the Fly Hurricane is an unbuildable mess, and yet here you are to prove otherwise.

Thanks guys!

Shell, I think that "u" word gets thrown around too much these days. Is it a short-run kit? Yes it is. Does it require careful test fitting, filing and sanding, and some industrial strength (an old friend of mine called it "Black and Decker") modeling? Can you say "landing gear well roof"? But unbuildable? No way.

I have a real soft spot for the Hurricane and have pretty much all of Fly's kits. They have great surface detail, acceptable (to me, anyway) interior detail, and fit far more like a Special Hobby F2A than an FM/Hi-Tech Vautour. It ain't Tamiya, but it absolutely can be done with the application of those good old fashioned modeling skills. And if you want 1/32 Hurricanes, and I do; well, this is it.

Michael
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 04:15 AM UTC
Now Michael, You have the skills. You put me in shame as Your Short run 1/32 is already done, while my "easy kit" 1/48 Hurri is still in production. Had a few mishaps lately. Namely topcoat did make ugly white flakes on the surface and especially on decals. Thankfully were the African Hurricanes heavily weathered, so thats whats coming next.

DSC_0480

DSC_0481

DSC_0482

DSC_0483
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And if you want 1/32 Hurricanes, and I do; well, this is it.

Michael

I actually have the kit as well as their Ar 234, and I fully intend to build them regardless of what others say as I have seen nice builds of both planes. The only thing holding me back is not having worked with resin yet.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:12 AM UTC
Progress, Finally! The cockpit is almost done and ready to close up on the A-36.

RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2018 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi All,

I also managed to finally get my hands dirty on Bf 110.
Update #1

I assembled cockpit using dedicated PE parts included in kit (well... some of them didn't survive till last picture ). I also used referenced Gunze paint for cockpit, followed by Tamiya brown panel liner and dryubrushed with Vallejo Steel (to imitate scratches). All details painted with various Vallejo acrylics.

So far - hull assembled with wings.
Next - finish assembly and prime.

Some pics:

Cheers,
Radek
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 01:44 PM UTC
Started to build my entry, ClassicAirframes 1/48 Reggiane Re.2001.

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 01:51 AM UTC
So after some last moment adjustments, I call the Hurri finished. The heavy weathering was needed due to bad decals reaction with the top coat. Next time I will ditch Airfix decals for sure. Z4771 was a Mk.I Trop that was flying with the 451st Squadron. Most pictures of their Mk.Is dont show letter codes on the fuselage.

DSC_0496

DSC_0495

DSC_0493

DSC_0489

DSC_0500

DSC_0502

DSC_0522

DSC_0512

DSC_0508
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 01:42 AM UTC
Naseby, fantastic work on your Hurricane. Looks really good and I like how you've displayed it!

I've just realised I haven't updated for a while but hoping to add some photos and updates this weekend. Had some issues with my laptop recently (screen broken) that has meant that it has been unusable for some time. Managed to hook it up to an old TV with a VGA cable, but I think it's time I replaced it. I can't complain as it has given me about 8 years of service.
Besides from that, the build of the Kelly has been going flawlessly and she's nearly ready for some paint.

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC

Great work's still going on here, Guys!

Jacob, congrats for finishing your Hurri - well done due to the decal issues and the overall finish looks very good with a fair amount of reasonable weathering.

Hope I can do my T'bolt in time and went for the first coats of the underside color and done some smaller pieces (canopy, prop).
Maybe I can show some more colorful progress in the next update.

Th mas
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 06:34 PM UTC
Running late to the party, but since I have some time off now I figure I can get this one done in time.

Pretty basic kit, should go together quickly.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 06:17 AM UTC
Update on the Kelly build. Apologies for the poor quality but light has not been on my side lately. Curse these dark evenings!
I've added a few more of the smaller parts to the deck and superstructure today, mostly DC's, davits, ammo lockers etc. Get a little more paint on her tomorrow. I'm using WEM enamel Mountbatten Pink. Really nice paint to work with but is a little translucent and I probably should have primed first. The sea base is a clear plastic water textured sheet painted in dark blue-green on the underside. I'll be adding the wake with clear gloss acrylic resin after attaching the ship to the base.

Should be on track to complete by the end of the month.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 07:01 AM UTC
Looking good everyone, and good luck to the late starters!

I ran into a snag on the 1/32 Hurricane IID. Lost a formation light cover. I'm trying to fill it in with epoxy, but that takes time. We'll see.

I figure on starting our last WWII theater campaign (the Eastern Front) in February or March so we all have a break. What do you think?

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 11:34 AM UTC
Struggling with my A-36. might make it in time. What about a P-63 for the Eastern Front? The Soviets had them, weren't supposed to use them against the Germans, but of course they did.
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 04:35 PM UTC
Bf-109 is moving along quickly

brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 08:20 PM UTC
My Marder III is nearing completion:

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 11:54 AM UTC
Well, at some point it's time to say "enough". I'm at that point with my 1/32 Fly Hurricane IID. It's not a bad kit, but it fought me at the end and I decided to stick a fork in it and call it done.

Here it is: have at it!

More in the gallery.

Glad to see everyone else's work going well. Less than two weeks left all, so get a move on!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 12:00 PM UTC
By the way, you can find the campaign gallery here, and I notice that a few finished builds are missing, so don't forget to post some pics there or no ribbon!

Michael
btwosan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 05:39 PM UTC
Added some scratchbuilt details to the cockpit, there was nothing except a crude seat. Fuselage is assembled, adding a bit of detail to gear area and ready for final assembly. Will paint it over the long weekend.

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 07:34 AM UTC
What a final sprint.
@Thomas: Nice work on the Thunderbolt, looking forward to see it finished.
@iain: Last moment entry, but with that speed, it seems You will definitely not struggle with time.
@Michael: Very nice result with the Hurri. Now thats a plane that should be represented in 1/32 in every collection. Sadly I dont think I will have the courage to tackle the FLY Offering.
RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC
Really great finishes and progress guys.

I'm still rather in the 'slug' race towards finish line, but here comes...

Update #2

I've managed to finish painting the kit with reference paints.
But of course, it wouldn't be my kit if I didn't screw something. Even with a kind of "self-building" kit like this one I managed to misalign hull halves by little which resulted in twisted canopy, misaligned wings. Apart of that only "small errors" like misplaced antenna array on bottom or these "subtle" rescribed panel lines on bottom front (I hope this isn't a federal crime ).

Nevertheless for sake of my mojo, there's no turning back... I'll be more careful next time, as always

And here are some pics of current state:

Cheers,
Radek
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 06:07 PM UTC
I am calling mine done. She is built, painted, and marked. I did a little bit of chipping with a pencil and some silvering on the tracks, but nothing beyond that as I don't know yet where I want it to end up scene-wise. For now, it just rolled off a rail transport and is about to begin it's first tour of Italy.

Dragon 6420 SdKfz 138 Panzerjäger 38 Marder III H Fgst 38t Ausf E. Smart Kit®

This kit had some fiddly PE that reminded me of the time I was underneath my VW bus trying to get the transmission housing to mate up with the engine case and it wouldn't, and it was 2AM and 34ºF degrees and my hands were all busted-up from slipping with the wrench numerous times. Lying in the glow of the work light under the bus, crying gently and staring up at the bell housing. Too much PE. Afraid to touch it because every time I do I have to glue something back on.

Pics in gallery.
RhinoSpit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 08:15 PM UTC
Some advance on my A-36 Apache

now, time to set the decals
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 01:45 AM UTC

Jacob, thanks!
I hope I will see it finished too

Great work continueing here, guys!
Shell, pretty nice looking Marder - well done & congrats.

Not only the left over time but some major issue after
painting/sealing when it comes to the decals.
As I wrote in the log the dacals were useless.
So I thought about how to save both the build and the campaign. Already started the changes and load up soon some first pics in my log.

Th mas