Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Big Three Campaign
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... but I gotta have a go at getting the stash back to single digits!

Single Digits? You mean 0-9 kits? Oh .... well .... I'm farer away from that than the sun is from the earth ....
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... but I gotta have a go at getting the stash back to single digits!

Single Digits? You mean 0-9 kits? Oh .... well .... I'm farer away from that than the sun is from the earth ....

Yup! I mean between 1~9 kits Torsten Don't worry though, I'm a long way away from single digits and it'll be quite some time till I get there. But! Given most are 1/72 aircraft, what better way than to dive into some campaigns with multiple builds?

Further away from single digits than the sun is from the Earth?? Hm, I've heard of those rumoured Super-Stashes! Kits numbering in the hundreds if not thousands... Might yours be one of those?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 08:48 AM UTC
I think in my case it's an earth to the moon thing. At just over 400 kits, I'm sure I'm in the lower range of stashes. But I'm probably SABRE already.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think in my case it's an earth to the moon thing. At just over 400 kits, I'm sure I'm in the lower range of stashes. But I'm probably SABRE already.

400 kits! Holy moley! That's a fair way to the sun in all honesty!

SABRE?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... At just over 400 kits ....

We play in the same league, Mark. Last time I've counted my stash it was 410, since then a few left and some new arrived. So not really a change. All 1/48 and 1/35, plus a handfull 1/32. But I know some folks who have 3-4 times more than me .... We're all crazy in a positive way
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... At just over 400 kits ....

We play in the same league, Mark. Last time I've counted my stash it was 410, since then a few left and some new arrived. So not really a change. All 1/48 and 1/35, plus a handfull 1/32. But I know some folks who have 3-4 times more than me .... We're all crazy in a positive way

410 kits, Torsten! Wow!

Whilst not being in triple digits, the nature of my stash means that I have enough to last me a very long time, some items being very complicated ship models that, knowing my glacial build pace will take years to complete

Yes, we're all crazy!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 02:47 PM UTC
My modeling group did an informal survey, I think with 20-30 responses we had enough kits for a well stocked hobby shop.

A couple of folks were claiming over 1000 kits.

Most of mine are 1/72 aircraft, with some 1/48, 1/32 and 1/144 planes. A few ships and subs and a bunch of 1/35 and 1/72 armor, AFV and soft sides.
kunjuro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi folks! SO, I technically already finished the P-51 for this campaign....

...but I decided to build a BF109 I have not built a Luftwaffe plane in 1/48 so I'm gonna treat this as a practice build! What better place to do that than in a campaign hehe. Here is my chosen testbed: the old Academy/Minicraft BF109G6

PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
Ready to glue fuselage halves:

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 03:51 AM UTC
Have started with my Mersu Dual Combo recently. Cockpits are done now ....

I have started a build blog some days ago. Have a look if you like. I will post more work-in-progress-photos there than here.

Stay healthy!
Torsten
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 06:57 PM UTC
Progress update, Hasegawa 1/48 Bf109F.

iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hello folks

For starters I hope all of your and your family members are safe and I will pray it remains that way.

Due to the COVID-19 related travel stoppages I've been stood down and don't see myself going to work in the near future. To avoid getting cabin fever I've been spending more time on the workbench and have finally gotten my various stalled builds going including my entry for this GB.

The cockpit went on without any major issues. My only crib is the PE instrument panel.Those horizontal lines are frankly too annoying to look at but thankfully once the cockpit is all sealed up, you won't be able too see any of that.

No major issues with the fit of the wings. I just needed a bit of help to close the small gap at the wingroot.

Got all the RLM02 and the theater marking painted

I marked out the camo pattern with a lead pencil...

.....and got the camouflage painted.

After sealing the decals with future I found a picture of my chosen aircraft that showed the black markings at the wingroot. Thinking 24 hours was enough for the future to cure, I went ahead and masked the fuselage. It wasn't enough

I went ahead and scraped off the damaged decal as best as I could....

...and dug into the spares bin for a replacement decal.And with this i've completed my build. I'm still thinking whether to weather it or not. I will take some better pics and post it here soon.

Thanks for watching
Cheers
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks for your well wishes, Raj! Everything is fine on this side of the monitor. I'm still working and I don't belong to these privileged people working in their "Home Office" now, because I work in the dispatch department of my company. So I do my share to keep the economy engine running .... In the news over here they only talk about home office working as if there's no other work. That really displeases me!

Love your "Eismeerjäger"! Have the same option in my stash but on a Revell 1/32 kit. I'm also working on an Eduard kit like you but with different national insignias in the end. Have the same issue with the gaps on the wing roots but I'll use some filler here.

Anyway, here is some progress on both Mersus ....

.... have cut off the pitot tube and will replace it later with an Evergreen Profile ....

.... nearly no gaps to see on MT-230, the Bf 109 G-2 ....

.... but the more to see on the right side of MT-508, the Bf 109 G-6. First I use clear tape, then fill the gap with putty ....

.... more to follow. If you like to see more details feel free to have a look at my build blog which I've mentioned earlier.

Stay at home and build a model!
Torsten
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 12:18 AM UTC
Congratulations on a very fine build Raj!

Torsten, your builds are moving along nicely!

It's not good what's happening, and the media seem to driving a lot of the hysteria...

Stay safe and best of health to all!
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi,
I've started P-51 last week, just cut some parts out and started painting the cockpit when I remembered there was an Aeroscale campaign! Is it too late to join in? I only put maybe an hour or two into it so far. It is an old Academy 1/72 model I have inherited from dad's stash. I am not yet decided how I want to finish it, I will probably stick with OOB livery because the yellow tail would nicely stand out in my collection, but am also considering some other paint schemes.

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I've started P-51 last week, just cut some parts out and started painting the cockpit when I remembered there was an Aeroscale campaign! Is it too late to join in? I only put maybe an hour or two into it so far. It is an old Academy 1/72 model I have inherited from dad's stash. I am not yet decided how I want to finish it, I will probably stick with OOB livery because the yellow tail would nicely stand out in my collection, but am also considering some other paint schemes.

That certainly looks like a lot less than 25% started to me, and you started it during the campaign time-frame anyway, so welcome aboard!

Michael
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC
@Torsten
Thanks. I've been following your Mersu twin build for a while and it convinced me to build this kit.
@Russell
Thank you for your kind words

Here are some final pics. Thank you Michael for this campaign. See y'all in the next one.

Cheers

Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi.
I've finished up the canopy. I think I'd better as for your honest opinion. Every time I put so much effort into canopy and get super excited with the result, only to be very embarassed whenever I show anyone the result. I mean it looks so bad compared to Torsten or Raj above. Their work is crispy clean and with so much details I don't even know how it is possible. I have very limited budget, so I prefer to leave aftermarket elements, if any at all, to the exterior as canopies in 1:72 are all but invisible. Is that the reason for my trouble or am I just too heavy handed with these tiny bits? Don't hesitate to offer me some serious critique, I don't have feelings you can hurt

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
First, I think you mean "cockpit" not canopy. Second, I think you did a nice job in 1/72. My only thought off the top of my head is that those shoulder harnesses should go over the top of the back of the seat, rather than off the corners.

Don't worry, it's a hobby. Do what makes you feel good about your model, that's what counts!

Michael
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi.
I've finished up the canopy. I think I'd better as for your honest opinion. Every time I put so much effort into canopy and get super excited with the result, only to be very embarassed whenever I show anyone the result. I mean it looks so bad compared to Torsten or Raj above. Their work is crispy clean and with so much details I don't even know how it is possible. I have very limited budget, so I prefer to leave aftermarket elements, if any at all, to the exterior as canopies in 1:72 are all but invisible. Is that the reason for my trouble or am I just too heavy handed with these tiny bits? Don't hesitate to offer me some serious critique, I don't have feelings you can hurt

Hey
For starters, my 109 is a 48 scale kit. The bigger size helps a bit in adding more details. Plus mine is a profipack which includes masks and PE - more free details

You’re making a 72 scale kit. I’m scared to tackle that scale as I’m all thumbs and have 2 right hands. I built a 72 scale Zero a few years back and I didn’t even add half the details that you’ve added. And I absolutely love that wood effect on the floor. To be honest if my 72 scale cockpit looked half as good as yours, I’d be a happy man. I’m really looking forward to see the rest of your build.
YankeeSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC
Two for the campaign! Progress on both fronts. Underside of the 109 is BLACK!! LOL. Wings are now on the Spit so primer won't be far behind!

Stay healthy all!! Cheers

RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 09:34 PM UTC
Great pics Raj!

Nice work, Chaz and K!
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 07:30 AM UTC
Shrimpman, don't worry, you'll be fine with your build. As Raj pointed out correctly, our builds are in quarterscale, which is lot bigger than yours. And our kits come as Profi Packs, which means, that PE parts and masks for the canopy are included. Plus Eduard kits are highly detailed. If you one day might try a 1/48 of them you'll notice. Usually I don't buy extra parts to upgrade a kit. My kits are usually build oob. And as Michael said, it's just a hobby, so as long as you're satisfied with the result, no one has the right to argue.

Raj, wonderful photos of your 109. And as I see you did no weathering to it. That's very commendable in my opinion. You may know what I thing of weathering ....

Chaz, nice camo on your 109. Black undersides on my models I have only on a Blenheim and a Ki-45. Keep it coming!

Anyway, haven't posted anything of my finnish twins here lately, so here's a small update. Have added most parts to both birds but left a few other parts aside for seperate painting ....

I have only 1 pair of PE gratings for the tropical filters, so I have chosen MT-508 to get them ....

I will now start masking and painting the canopies and hope to be a lot further at the beginning of Easter.

Stay healthy and have a nice weekend!
Torsten
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks for encouragement. I know I have lot to learn, but you are right, as long as I am happy and I see progress, I shouldn't be ashamed. I've messed up on the over the shoulders straps. Chair had two slits on the sides that looked like harness straps entry points. I should have checked rather than making assumptions. Another lesson learned. I have finished the basic planform and started the painting. Few more coats and it should be ok. I find silver very hard to apply, but I figured out a good method to get a smooth, even coat: I thin the paint more than usual and then pull it so much it is more like dry brushing than painting. After about 12-15 coats I get an even finish that looks like sprayed on in one smooth pass.
As for weathering, I think it makes perfect sense to do little, especially for late war Luftwaffe fighters. Vast majority was being destroyed within their first five sorties, so I think they must have looked like straight out of factory.

RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 07:27 PM UTC
Some great work here guys:

K, I like the look of that NMF!

Torsten, always nice progress

Chaz, nice work on the pre-shading...

Hoping to post up some pics of my own progress soon