Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Battle of Britain 80 Campaign
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC
The spit looks fabulous Krzysztof. I have always liked the split colour scheme on the underneath.

Nice detailing Tim.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi again

I realise I haven't made good on my intention to show some shots of my Eduard Spitfire Mk. Is in the campaign thread!

Here are a few shots of the Battle of Britain era one as it stands this afternoon. The basic airframe is complete, but I want to check the seams etc. I also need to check for dust in the cockpit(!) and sort out that loose buckle on the Sutton harness...

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 11:27 AM UTC
Looking good here!

I haven't posted in a while, but the 1/32 Fly Hurricane is making some progress:

Looking like a Hurri now!

Michael
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC

Nice, Michael. I've finished the basic painting on one of mine. (I have this feeling I may only get one done during the campaign rather than the two I had hoped. But who knows?). The airfix kit comes with two clear pieces for the front center of the wing. Were those clear, or tinted?

Here are pics - remember mine will be wheels up that's why it's sitting on the ground. I now see a couple more pieces of blue tac I need to get off before I gloss it up for decals.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The airfix kit comes with two clear pieces for the front center of the wing. Were those clear, or tinted?

Those are the landing light covers and they were always clear. The inside was relatively dark; you can get away with painting everything dark grey. Here's one for reference:
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC
Thanks!
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 10:23 AM UTC

I'm back on with my dual hurricane build. No new pics, but I overcame my first mental block - masking and painting the camo scheme. I don't know why I always stop at that point and need to take a deep breath. But I did it for both of them and it was fine.

I've now finished with the kit decals and am about to move on to the techmod decals for their particular id letters, numbers, and polish insignia. Another deep breath before doing those. They are great because they are so invisible when they are on, but they are so fragile to work with....

I should be able to finish these this month.
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 06:28 PM UTC
Cockpit done:

petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 08:24 AM UTC
Sensational work guys. The cockpit details are outstanding.

And Pasi, that close up of the green... I have retina burn..
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 06:07 AM UTC

Armory’s rendition of the 109’s undercarriage is an innovative combination of plastic struts and wheels with etched brass doors. Delicate, but very cool.
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 09:49 AM UTC
I am still in awe of you putting these tiny kits together Tim.....
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thanks Peter!

I did a little painting this weekend...

Armory provided a staggering fourteen markings options for their little 109! I chose the loudest of the lot, the machine of Oberleutnant Ulrich Steinhilper of 1/JG52.

An early proponent of radio communications on fighters, Steinhilper served for a time as Adolf Galland’s Adjutant. During the Battle of Britain he managed to shoot down a Blenheim and four Spitfires (as well as destroying at least two more Spits on the ground) before being shot down himself in October, 1940. He was imprisoned in Canada where he managed to escape on five different occasions, but he did not see freedom again until 1946. After the war he pursued a career with IBM, where he was credited with coining the term “word processing” in 1955.

Steinhilper’s plane sported a gaudy combination of not only yellow nose and rudder but wing and stabilizer tips as well. I began with an application of Model Master Gelb RLM 04 followed by Gunze Sangyo Lichtblau RLM 65 (light blue), and RLM Grau 04 (gray-green) with Dunkelgrün RLM 71 (dark green) splinters.

PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And Pasi, that close up of the green... I have retina burn..

It's the camera

Ready for paint, so I think this will be done before deadline:

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 11:16 AM UTC

Man I love the look of the Spitfire. The Battle of Britain has three of my favorite planes from an aesthetic perspective: the Spitfire, the Hurricane, and the early 109s (I think the early Es look much better than the later iterations).

Anyway, I'm back on track with my double build. I still have a little bit of harrowing decal work. The wing decals are from the Airfix kit and they were a piece of cake. A couple of the fuselage roundels were from an Xtradecal sheet. Also a piece of cake. The letters are another issue. They are particular to a couple of 303 squadron birds and are made by Techmod decals. They are exTREMEly delicate. Everyone of the decals on the RF E plane broke, a couple of them in multiple places, AND before I got them off their backing sheet. One of the Es you can tell where it tore and there is a little extra debris on one of the Fs, but I think that is only visible under magnification. The upsdie of the decals, or at least my experience with them in the past, is that they are invisible as decals. In this instance, RF J is that way. I hope RF E is too (from a different sheet) but right now I can see where the decal paper is. I think it will go away when I put clear on it, I hope anyway.

I still have to add the serial numbers which will be another deep breath.....
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 02:29 PM UTC
That is not a torn decal Phil, it is a patch over a bullet hole...
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi again

Hmmm - I'm starting to doubt if I'll get my Spit finished in time! My Deputy at work has just booked a month's holiday starting next week (well, two weeks' actual holiday, plus two weeks' self-isolation when he gets back - don't we all love Covid-19! What fun, wasting two week's leave locked up at home!) - so I might be facing long weeks and next to no time at the workbench through to and beyond the campaign deadline.

It looks like this Sunday could be might last best chance to really push towards the finishing line - so I'd best not waste it!

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
My Fly Hurricane is ready for paint (well, once I do some masking) but clearly not going to be done by the end of the month. Anyone else interested in a one-month extension (Rowan)?

Michael
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
I will make this deadline but I'm in favor of extending by a month to allow others to finish, fwiw.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Michael

The extension would be a blessing in my case. I'll still aim for the original deadline to try to maintain momentum, but with extra hours to put in at work, plus quite a few reviews to write, I reckon it's more likely than not that I'll end up needing the extra time.

@ Phil - Thanks for the vote in favour of it.

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 06:05 AM UTC
I'm sooo cloose. Got the Future on last night. Maybe get it decaled this weekend, then weathering, fiddly bits and rigging. A little extra time would help.
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 08:52 AM UTC
I finished a while back, but I'm happy to extend the date for those still working away.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 - 10:40 AM UTC

Here are my two completed Hurricanes of 303 Squadron:

Both are airfix 1/72 Hurricanes with decals from the kits, Techmod (for the Polish specific markings), and at least one Xtradecal roundel.

And here's a pic of my VIC of Polish Hurricanes - "F" was done before I started the two hurricanes for this campaign.

YankeeSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 01:23 AM UTC
I hate to admit it but I could use an extra week to 15 days. Too much going on again.....

A VIC of Hurcs!! Nice Phil!! Try to get mine on-line soon.... "Undercarriage lever a bit sticky".........
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
OK, I'm extending this one a month to 1 December. But we'd better get a move on, because that's it!

Michael
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 07:31 AM UTC
Nice line up Phil. The Hurris look great.