Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Battle of Britain 80 Campaign
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I'm extending this one a month to 1 December. But we'd better get a move on, because that's it!

Michael

Cheers Michael

I scrounged the morning off work today and blocked-in the basic camouflage colours free-hand to establish the "geography" before masking.

I don't have a picture to show, but it's encouraging to see my Spit with some colour on at last!

I have to admit I messed up straight away! I'm combining this with my review dual-build and had always intended to do A and B schemes for the camo - but I realised as soon as I started painting that I'd boxed myself in with the options, so they'll share the same pattern. No worries really - they are totally distinct in every other way.

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 - 06:56 PM UTC
Sneaking up on the finish line. All the (well all but one or two) decals are on. I just got a final flat coat on. Now I gotta paint the wheels, mount the fiddly bits, do some weathering and rig the antenna and this thing will be DONE!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 - 07:34 PM UTC
Friends! I realise that I am extremely late to the party but with a one month extension I might make it...

I got a build blog going a few weeks ago with what I think is the only Italian model in this campaign. I could have picked a better and simpler model but here we are...

The kit (nothing wrong with the box art at least )...

...and the current state of affairs! I realise it does look a bit odd but I'm using CA glue to get a good fit between the not-so-well-fitting struts and the fuselage, the foil is there to avoid them sticking.

Magnus
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 12:07 AM UTC
What do you do when regulations specify certain insignia and marking size regardless of available space:

The "misaligned" letters are roughly correct...
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Friends! I realise that I am extremely late to the party but with a one month extension I might make it...
...and the current state of affairs! I realise it does look a bit odd but I'm using CA glue to get a good fit between the not-so-well-fitting struts and the fuselage, the foil is there to avoid them sticking.

Magnus

Magnus,

Saw your build log and was hoping you'd join in. As you clearly started this kit within the campaign time frame, I definitely agree it fits. But as I said there, you're a braver man than I!

Michael
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi All,

I've not made an update in a while, so here goes! I recently did the Tamiya E 4/7, and this is the same kit. So it goes together nicely, and if you don't have the phone handy while you're building it, you do miss the opportunity to photograph it. Unlike the previous one, the decals with the kit work quite well.

I painted up the pilot for this, as I wish to show it with the canopy closed, and want to save my belts for another project. Following the wash, I'll admit that my rendition of Adolf Galland, is a bit darker than the real person!

I next did a variation on black basing. First painted the entire airframe with MS1500 black, then using Tamiya White X-1, I did the random mottling pattern. Then on the underside I went with a dilute (1:10) mix of Mr Color RLM 65. I really like how it turned out.

Went up the sides with the RLM 65.

Next up was the splinter camo, though I ran out of Mr. Color RLM 71, I wound up using Tamiya Khaki drab. I think it looks just fine.

I also have begun the decaling process at this point.

More to follow, but the decaling went nicely, they are a bit on the thick side, so I may try to sand the clear around them. A nice stress free build so far!

Take care, be safe and happy modeling!
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 - 02:36 PM UTC
Excellent John. Looks fantastic.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 - 05:46 PM UTC
Gotta get my camera battery charged. Almost done, weathered, fiddly bits inplace, just need to rig and remove the last of the masking.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi again

Wow! Some great looking flurries of activity! There's nothing like an (even extended) deadline to focus the attention...

I've got the day off work tomorrow, so my aim is to get the camo finished on both my Eduard Spits (only one of which is really eligible for the campaign (but I might show a pic or two of the other just for fun )).

I sprayed a coat of WEM's Eau de Nil and it's pretty vivid - which totally ties in with eye-witness descriptions of some of the colours evident in the summer of 1940 before the introduction of Sky (which varied in itself).

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 02:30 PM UTC
easing up on the finish line.

just have to rig the cockpit ed of the antenna, peel the masking on the canopy (Kit has 2 canopies one open and one closed) and weather the landing gear doors.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 06:03 PM UTC
OOPS, slipped across the finish line.

Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 RCAF.

Good kit with an open or closed canopy option.

Went together well, nicely engineered. Most of the problems were self induced.

I don't do many British subjects, but this one looks like a hurricane.

First try with panel liner, gonna need more practice.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 - 07:20 PM UTC
Friends! Good to see some more finished stuff!

Fiat on a stick!

Landing gear as supplied wasn't symmetrical and neither did it have the correct angles so I reluctantly embarked on a re-build...

As always, there is more in the build blog!

Magnus
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 - 07:59 AM UTC
The Hurricane came out fantastic Mark. I kind of like the way the panel liner added some weathering.

Magnus, from the build log : "I correct myself, I thought I could live with the landing gear but I've decided that I can't..."

The age old problem for modellers... and not just the rivet counters.

Nice work on the rebuild. I am always amazed how something looks smooth until primer hits... I blame the primer...
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi all,

I've finished my Bf-109-3 with the help of my niece Leticia! She was instrumental in the cropping of the pics you're about to see!

I chose to put the kit's pilot into the cockpit, and build accordingly. I really liked how the splinter camo pattern turned out. All in all this is a great representation of this bird, while the decals are a bit thick, most won't see it unless you're planning on a show. highly recommend!!

A great campaign! I've enjoyed it, thanks to all!!
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 - 07:00 PM UTC
And done:

There are two more photos in campaign gallery.

Thanks for an interesting campaign.
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2020 - 03:46 AM UTC
Nice job Pasi!

Peter thanks for your comments, and Mark Keep kicking it out!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
The silver lining in the cloud that is 2020 is that I've finished 12 kits so far this year. All for campaigns so far. I don't think I've finished that many kits in a year since Jr High, 50 years ago. And this time around I'm actually filling seams, sanding them out, airbrushing and weathering.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2020 - 12:43 PM UTC
Very nice work, gentlemen!

Meanwhile, the 1/32 Fly Hurricane I:

Can I get it done? Only time will tell...

Michael
Mrclark7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 - 10:28 AM UTC
Well I could have sworn I posted this pic before but I cant seem to find it.

This is my entry into the campaign. I will have updated pics later tonight.

Mrclark7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 - 02:31 PM UTC
Starting the painting...

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, I'm glad we've got an extension, because I definitely would have missed the original deadline by a country mile!

Here's where things are at:

I've got the camouflage done, but need to repair a couple of small spots. I usually like to go for very slightly soft divisions between the topside colours on RAF WWII schemes - but, looking at Battle Of Britain Spits, they were absolutely sharp on every aircraft I checked. So, I masked the pattern with Tamiya's flexible tape and filled in behind with masking fluid.

I've got next weekend off work thanks to our new lockdown here in the UK, so I should have some more progress to show soon.

All the best

Rowan
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC
Finally I'm into the fun part of this: painting!

More in the build blog!

Magnus
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2020 - 01:08 PM UTC
Good on you, Magnus! I've got the 1/32 Fly Hurricane painted and am starting on decals, but the gallery does not seem to be accepting uploads (from me anyway), so I'm afraid I can't show you. I haven't moved this campaign to the new site because it will close before the upgrade is official, but if you all want me to, I can do it.

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2020 - 06:08 PM UTC
They dinked with the gallery a couple of months ago. It kind of goes offline to free up bandwidth for other tasks. It took me 3-4 tries to get my Hurricane pics uploaded. Keep trying.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 06:36 AM UTC
While this campaign ends before the official migration to these new forums, the Gallery here appears to have given up the ghost. Therefore, I’m opening a thread on the new site for anyone (like me) who still hopes to make it before the deadline. Final pics posted there WILL count towards getting a ribbon.

Good luck, everyone!

Michael