Thunderbolts
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have started my next project and thought I'd post some progress pics. This is the Tamiya 1/48th P-47D 25 'Bubbletop' Thunderbolt. The kit is all ready very nicely detailed but I went ahead and got the PE set for the bubbletop and the P-47 placards. Also to be added is a set of true detail bulged resin wheels.

The cockpit interior is all done and am now ready to start on the engine and compartment. Plus I am putting on all the PE that can be put on safely without painting first.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that would like to turn this into a very informal group type build. No real beginning, no real end, no ribbons, no rules other than building a P-47 of any kind. And it does not really matter if you have all ready started on the kit.

I just thought this might be fun to trade ideas, tips, resources, pics and progress along with helping to keep motivated to keep plugging ahead.
Anyone who wants to join in just start posting with comments, pics, or whatever. I would be thrilled to have a wingman or a squadron of jugs for some company.

Good modeling,
Wayne

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Wayne:

That cockpit looks really fantastic ! Great work. I like all the details in it and the paint job is very well done. I specially like the instrument panel and the realistic look of the clock´s and gun sight. Did you use transparent acrilic to simulate the glass ?

That Tamiya kit is a very good one, I don´t have any in my stash but I saw it seeverall times in the hobby shop.

Wonderfull idea about the group build, but I really can´t join the party because I´m enlisted in two Campaigns right now and have many projects wainting to get started. It will be fun to follow the thread
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks Carlos I appreciate the coments
I have just barely started my P-47 but if you ever decide to pick one of the Tamiya kits up I can highly recommend it from what I have seen so far. Both the bubbletop and the razorback thunderbolts are very nice kits

Quoted Text

I specially like the instrument panel and the realistic look of the clock´s and gun sight. Did you use transparent acrilic to simulate the glass ?

I used 'Future' to glaze over the dials. A ways back Mal did a feature on this technic and I use it now every time I have a PE dash. My pic didn't actually turn out too bad but it still doesn't really give the full effect of the glazing. The dials really look like glass.

If I have done this properly, here is a link to the feature if anyone hasn't seen it yet and wants to check it out.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net//features/470

Too bad you won't be able to join in I would have been happy to have you along.

Good modeling,
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
The cockpit looks great Wayne! I really like those placards and colored seatbelts; they really add a lot to the already great cockpit.

I will definately be joining you with my already started razorback. The camraderie (sp?) will help me get it going again and make the build a lot more fun. I'll post what I have soon.

I hope others join. I know there are a lot of builds going right now but "you can never have too many [thunderbolts??]" Sound like a good saying.

Talk to you soon.
Leon
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC
Beautiful cockpit Wayne!
Wish I could join you guys, the P-47 has always been one of my favorites, but I've got too much on my plate right now. I will be watching, enjoying and learning from the sidelines though
MiamiJHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hello Illini Wad-ware:

You're off to a great start, Wayne. It was smart to start w/ one of the best
"quarter inch" kits of the Jug out there, in the Tamiya kit, too. Will
be eager to see more and see how those washes you
inquired about are coming along.

Good luck

The Miami Jayhawk
PS. Sorry for you folks in Illinois that Bill Self left the Illini,
(His replacement seems to know his stuff, however ) but we
here in the land of Oz are just overjoyed to have
him at the Univ. of Jayhawkville
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks again everyone

Glad to have you join up with me Leon. It's always more fun if you don't fly alone And I figure by the end of this thing you and me will have a really nice pair of jugs :-) :-) :-) Sorry :-) I could'nt help myself on that one Jump in, strap in, and lets take off

Sorry too you won't be able to join the squadron David. If by chance you get other projects done or just happen to start up on a P-47 feel free to come on in at any time. Like I said before, there are no rules. This is just to have some fun.

Thanks too Rick. I am really enjoying this Tamiya P-47. Even tho I really havn't got too far yet And so far all I have done with the washes is working out really well.

I still have not decided on what scheme to go for on this one. I keep looking at all the different decal sets but nothing really 'trips my trigger'. I may just stick with one of the schemes that is boxed with the kit. I do keep leaning towards something with D-Day stripes. I am nervously considering doing a metal finish on this one but don't know if I am really quite ready for that NMF will really show any small flaws that you have and that still kind of scares me a little. But then, you don't learn if you don't try We'll see. That all comes a little bit later down the road anyway.

Good modeling all,
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
Wayne,
I hear you on the NMF, but also agree that doing it is the only way to know and learn. I have only done one NMF up to this point, and yes under close inspection it has a few problems, but that is only under close inspection and I figure seeing those flaws have made me want to deal with those problems even on non-nmf. On this side thought, I can't believe the trouble I have with seams. I spend so much time trying to get rid of the darn things. Sometimes I think there is no way that other people spend this much time on seams, but I imagine they do. Anyway, sorry for the blah, blah, blah. I look forward to this, and hope to pull out my razorback this weekend and get a little work in on it.
Leon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:48 AM UTC
Thought I would scan the scheme I plan on doing my razorback in. My plan is to do "Dudge" because I really like the nose art, but I may do another one from the sheet (All Rarey Nose Art -I love his work) so that I can do full invasion stripes. Earlier I did Rarey's plane "Damon's Demon" with full stripes and I really like that look. Anyway, here are two possibilities with the second being what I am leaning towards right now.

Leon
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Dudge or Slow Joe, Either way it would look great.
Who makes the decal sheets for those???
Always liked the Razorback style over the bubbletop too.
Hope you'll post yours too Leon
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Those look like good schemes for your razorback. Hope you get your pics posted soon. I have seen your cockpit and engine and both of those look great I am sure the others would like to see them too.

I have made up my mind and am going for the NMF on my P-47. Now since I have decided that, I am going to go through all the different decal sets again and see if I can decide on anything for sure. It is also definitely going to have invasion stripes. I do think that would look very cool.

I have a question for you Leon since you have all ready done one NMF. Did you use Model Master metalizers or did you use Alcald? Or something else? Plus with the MM metalizers there is buffing and non-buffing and wondering if there is really much difference in the finish between the two. Also.... using the buffing type.... wouldn't it be rather difficult to get into some areas and buff properly?
I remember reading an article in FSM about alclad and they were rated very good. And if I remember correctly, most if not all, of the alclad metalizers need some kind of base coat of one kind or another for the metalizer to work properly. Do the MM need that base coat or do they just go on straight?

I'd appreciate any into and advice you can give me Leon. Plus anyone reading this thread that has experience of any of the metalizers, I would be very interested in your input and suggestions

Tomorrow I start working on the engine

Good modeling,
Wayne
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC
I remembered something else I wanted to ask about metalizers
Can you preshade with metaltizers or does that work well with those?
Can you put future over the top of the metalizers for putting on decals. Plus can you spray laquer over the top of them also to do washes and stuff with the panel lines? Questions yes I have a million of them :-)

Again, any info passed my way will be much appreciated and thanks
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those look like good schemes for your razorback. Hope you get your pics posted soon. I have seen your cockpit and engine and both of those look great I am sure the others would like to see them too.

Thanks, I'll get those posted right after responding here...

Quoted Text

I have made up my mind and am going for the NMF on my P-47. Now since I have decided that, I am going to go through all the different decal sets again and see if I can decide on anything for sure. It is also definitely going to have invasion stripes. I do think that would look very cool.

I agree there is something about invasion stripes that just say "Wow." I will be curious to hear which scheme you finally decide on.

Quoted Text

I have a question for you Leon since you have all ready done one NMF. Did you use Model Master metalizers or did you use Alcald? Or something else? Plus with the MM metalizers there is buffing and non-buffing and wondering if there is really much difference in the finish between the two. Also.... using the buffing type.... wouldn't it be rather difficult to get into some areas and buff properly?
I remember reading an article in FSM about alclad and they were rated very good. And if I remember correctly, most if not all, of the alclad metalizers need some kind of base coat of one kind or another for the metalizer to work properly. Do the MM need that base coat or do they just go on straight?

My one try at NMF was with SNJ. I think the company closed shop, but has been bought by another, so someday it may be available again. I really liked the stuff. You sprayed on the metal and then buffed and polished with a powder that made it extra shiny. I still have the powder and rub it on to check seems - shows all the problems, and in fact probably shows me more than I need to see / drives me crazy

Beyond that, it seems that most people swear by the alclad. I know that lampie recently did his first model with alclad, and he might be a good source of info as for a first time trial of the stuff. I'll see if I can find his tread with questions / answers. I do have a link to the alclad website which has a page describing the application, and yes, I do believe it needs some type of base (between the bare plastic and the alclad to protect the plastic), but I know decals can go directly on the alclad.

Alclad link for application

Besides having some of the mm metalizers for drybrushing, I haven't tried them - sorry.

Leon

Edit: Here is the thread on lampie's first try with the alclad; it has even another link enclosed. (Plus he did a great little p-47 )
Lampie's P-47
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dudge or Slow Joe, Either way it would look great.
Who makes the decal sheets for those???
Always liked the Razorback style over the bubbletop too.
Hope you'll post yours too Leon

Thanks David. I really like the looks of the Razorback too. The sheet was a special one done by aeromaster for the 1998 IPMS in Santa Clara. I picked it up from a guy in the local club because I saw the cartoony nose art and instantly fell in love with the schemes. It turns out that the guy who did all of the nose art on the sheet was a commercial artist and cartoonist before going off to fly p-47s and his son (who he never got to meet) created a nice website to honor him.

George Rarey
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
OK, with apologies to those who have already seen these, this is where I am at with my tamiya 1/48 p-47 razorback. Like Wayne, I am trying to add quite a bit to give it that little extra.

Cockpit: While excellent out of the box, I added elements from eduard pe set and eduard placard set.

Engine: Drilled holes in the ignition ring and added wires and insulating. Tried to represent the metal pieces that connect two adjoining wires with somewhat clumsy results.

Fuselage Ducts: The tamiya kits have openings into the vast fuselage along the sides, so I tried to create some detail to close it off. I used the out of production scalequest resin set as a model. I hear from Wayne that the bubbletop pe set handles this problem.

If I can get to it this weekend, I hope to do some detail work in the landing gear bays.

Thanks for looking, and thanks again Wayne for the push to bring this back out.
Leon
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
Your progress on your P-47 sure does look good Leon. I hope I can get my engine to look at least half as good as yours You are right that the pe set I have does have the fuselage ducts. That really helps me out there.

I got a lot on the engine today and hopefully tomorrow I will get that completely done to my liking. If that happens I will try to post a pic or two of that.

Leon I have another question for you slightly off topic. How do you get such nice clean sharp pics of your stuff. The pic of your engine is excellent. Me and my digital camera have not been getting along together here lately and I am getting frustrated. I just don't seem to get the really good pics that I know can be gotten.

Thanks for sending me in a great direction for the alclad. Lampie did a WONDERFUL job on his P-47. I read through the whole thread plus all the side threads that were mentioned and that pretty much answered all the questions that I can think of ... at least up to this point anyway

I think I have made my choice for the scheme on my P-47. I am going with 'Georgia Peach II' It is a NMF finish it has cool blue colors on it it has invasion stripes and to top it off it has a naked lady on it What more could an aircraft modeler ask for

Good modeling all,
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
Great stuff Wayne. I really like the scheme you chose. It will look really sharp all done up! I look forward to your engine.

My progress today - absolutely nothing. I had great intentions, but then, like so often, life happened and I didn't do anything. Oh well, maybe tomorrow...

As for my picture taking. I will try to give an account of what I do, and then the next time I set it all up, I will check what I say here and see if there is anthing I forget.

First off for equipment, I have a canon point and shoot digital camera.

I do the following camera settings:
- I set it to aperature control and set the aperature to f8 (the smallest on my camera) this helps get as many things as possible in focus.

- I adjust the white balance to try to get somewhat correct colors under my lighting.

- I turn off the flash,

- set it for a delayed shutter release (I push the button it waits 2 seconds and then takes the picture).

- Set to macro mode for close ups

- Chose spot metering. I have tried all three settings on my camera (spot, balanced, and ?) and am not really sure if there is a big difference, but I tend to go with the spot metering.

Then the camera goes on a tripod for steadiness

For lighting I have my magnifying glass light with a small bulb. This is more the secondary "fill" light. My main light is a 100 watt reveal installed in a cheap clamp on reflector that I usually just clamp on to the tripod, but sometimes move and hold how I want the lighting to look.

Because it is digital (no extra cost to take many) I take many pictures with different lighting / angles / etc.

Then I bring it in to the computer and look at them with photoshop. In the past I used to play and play with that, but I have gotten where I mostly trust the camera and just crop the picture and then use the sharpen filter to take out a little of the digital camera blur.

Next time I set it all up, I'll try to take a picture of my setup too.

Hope this helps a little.
Leon
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC
Thanks a lot Leon for your camera tips,
I have to admit to being very lazy. I have a fairly decent Minolta digital camera that can do all the different settings like yours. I have never really messed with them to see just what they all do. As much as I like taking pictures, and my wife liking me to take pictures of her flowers and things, I can't believe that I have never really tried it all out. It is time to break the camera manual out and do some learning.
Thanks again.

I have been working steadily on my bubbletop. I am getting real close to closing up the body. Right now I am working on the wheel wells and detail and then should be able to put the wings together before too much longer. I'll play around with my camera and see if I can get some pics of my engine that I am more satisfied with.

Good modeling,
Wayne
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi All.
Its good to see a P47 thread!
About time you got back into your P47 Leon,this should be the kick you need,lol.
Im with you in spirit only at the moment guys,as Im up to my neck with life in general at the moment plus Ive got 2 Campaign builds I need to get moving on.
Im glad the build article on my P47 has been coming in usefull.I just saw that is got over 1200 views!,,amazing!. The only thing I would certainly recommend doing if your going to be using Alclad is to spray some panels in different shades.Its a lot of masking but it really makes a huge difference and brings a NMF to life.
So,,until I can clear some of the backlog of builds Im just a spectator Im afraid,but if youve got any questions about NMF or Alclad etc Id be happy to answer them either through the thread or a PM.
My P47 had its first outing on the IPMS Armorama stand at the Doncaster show a couple of days ago and recieved some very nice comments from fellow Aeroscale members and the public which was great.
How about I do a new set of photos for an "On Display" article as my contribution to the group build so far?
If I do manage to get the campaign builds finished Ive got a couple of P47's in my stash and I'll do one of them for the group build
It could do with something in 1:72!!
Have fun guys!,,I'll be watching from the side of the runway
Nige
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:07 AM UTC
Outstanding job Wayne. Detail is very nice. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I loved building the two Bubbletops from Tamiya for my Wolfpack dio. The detail on these kits is outstanding. Keep up the great work, Wingman out.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Nigel,
Your thread on your P-47 really helped me out with some questions and glad to have you there in case I have more. Some 'On Display' photos of your P-47 for this thread would be a great addition. Please feel free to join in in any way you can, even if not building a kit. And hopefully a little later on you can join us with a build.

Wingman - Thanks. You are so right about the nice details in these kits.
I am making steady progress and each day I get a little further.

I finally have a pic of the engine that I can live with. I am still on a learning curve with all the settings on my digital camera. Hopefully before too long I will have it licked.

I have the body put together and other bits here and there. I am really trying to get the seams nice but that is something of a learning curve for me too. I know I really need to get those really good if I am going to go with the NMF. So I will just take my time and try to get it all right the first time.
Good modeling,
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
The engine looks great Wayne! Did the pe set come with wiring? Seeing your other "tech guy" I am really impressed with that pe set. I thought I had a really good one, but mine doesn't have details for the wheel wells. Speaking of that, I am almost done with adding details to the wheel wells and hope to paint it tomorrow - pictures may follow this weekend.

Anyway, I hope the seams are coming along well.
Leon
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:19 AM UTC
Thanks Leon - The wiring and details on the engine get a little tedious but worth it in the end. I think it came out pretty well. There is some wiring for the wheel well with my pe set along with that thing-a-ma-jig in my other thread that we don't know what it really is yet. A lot of the side walls in the wells get some nice plates with detail and rivets too. It all looks pretty good when it is all done. My pics below don't show much of the side wall detailing. It is so hard to get an angle and lighting to get a good picture of that. Even tho, I am going to keep trying. If I get another good one I'll post it too. The two little loose wires will connect up to the hydraulic jack that opens the well door.
The body is all put together, mostly. I am really trying my best, at this time, to get the seams really good. The tips everyone gave me in my other thread are really helping me out.
I am working on the landing gear now.

Good modeling,
Wayne
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi Guys.
These P47's are really looking the business!
One day when I think my skills are up to it Im going to have a go at doing the engine wiring in 1:72.Im not aware of a pe set for this but I havent had a good search for one yet. I could always use Leons approach and get the pin vise and a tiny drill on the go
Really enjoying watching these come together!
Nige
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC
I see some great modelling on this site.As I look at these P47 photo`s I think is it worth going on with my own.I got the Revell 1/32 P47 and I seem to have got carried away.Scratchbuilt cockpit,undercarriage,engine,Super charger duct.Complete rescribe of panel lines.It started getting boring so I put it away for a bit now I can`t get started again.
 _GOTOTOP