Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen 2 Campaign
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments everyone, its really good to get this one finished. I didn't realise it until just now but I had originally started that build in 2008! I thought it was early 2011.

Congrats to Keith and Jesper on completing their respective builds. They both look great!

@Sean - thanks! For the masking I use Scotch-Blue painters tape "for delicate surfaces" (if you look on the inside of the cardboard roll it should have a number 2080, 2090 is too strong I've been told) and yes I definitely use my jeans to make it even less tacky. I have had very few problems with paint bleeding underneath this tape (he says daring fate)

Cheers
Damian

PS: I have also started work on completing my 1/72 Italeri C-47 to be built OOB in RAF markings - This is where it was at when I got it out of the stash:

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the comments everyone, its really good to get this one finished. I didn't realise it until just now but I had originally started that build in 2008! I thought it was early 2011.

Congrats to Keith and Jesper on completing their respective builds. They both look great!

@Sean - thanks! For the masking I use Scotch-Blue painters tape "for delicate surfaces" (if you look on the inside of the cardboard roll it should have a number 2080, 2090 is too strong I've been told) and yes I definitely use my jeans to make it even less tacky. I have had very few problems with paint bleeding underneath this tape (he says daring fate)

Cheers
Damian

PS: I have also started work on completing my 1/72 Italeri C-47 to be built OOB in RAF markings - This is where it was at when I got it out of the stash:

thats so close to the beginning, I think you could save it for the Classic Douglas campaign, assuming it gets off the ground...
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hi Wizard179

Quoted Text

"thats so close to the beginning, I think you could save it for the Classic Douglas campaign, assuming it gets off the ground"

Please save kit for Douglas Campaign!.

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Wizard179

Please save kit for Douglas Campaign!.

Ok, I can take a hint.

Maybe I'll finish my Spitfire Vb Trop then...

cheers
Damian
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
Ha ha, looks like the Douglas Campaign for that one. There's one month to go in this campaign! Happy modeling!
-Sean H.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:06 AM UTC
Unfortunately I'm going to bow out of the campaign. I managed to get some bench time in over the last couple of weeks and shot some Alclad Polished Aluminium on the sabre unfortunately it didn't look very polished and swirled as it dried. So I left it a day or to to dry and went over the top of that with normal Alclad Aluminium and that went on fine but 'fisheyed' or bubbled in places when that dried

So I sanded it back and washed it in preparation for another coat of Alclad. This is after the sand and clean

Back into the spray bay and shot on another coat of Alclad Aluminium (a new bottle) only for it to this time strip the previous layer of paint

I've never had any problems with Alclad before and the only thing I've done different to normal is to use a gloss black base coat.

I'm completely disheartened by this 'Jinxed' Sabre, so I've decided to put it back in the box for now and will get it out for Hangar Queen 3 (if we have one) strip it back, again, and spray it again with a view of it's not going to defeat me.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
I tell you Allen, natural metal finishes are difficult sometimes. I am working with an F-100 using Vallejo aluminum and am not completely satisfied. Every flaw in the plastic or finish shows up!! Russell
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 04:36 AM UTC
To be honest i've done several NMF planes now all using Alclad and never had any issues and always been please with the result. As I said the only thing I did different to normal was a gloss base so I can only assume it is this that has caused the problems. When I strip it I'll be doing my normal process and we'll see what happens then
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Tomcat, thanks for sharing that tale of woe. That's really disheartening when the finish goes so badly. We're all hoping for the best whenever this build gets back on track.
I myself haven't tried a natural metal finish yet, but I intend to do one by month's end-- a P-51 for the Duel Campaign-- but I'll just take baby steps with Tamiya spray enamel. Like you wrote, I would have guessed that was a prep problem, but maybe a bad batch of paint or humidity or something. We may never know.
-Sean.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
I have to bow out as well and wait for the next Hangar Queen campaign.
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
Better late then never, here's my Hangar Queen. I started her three months ago, I think.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 02:07 AM UTC
Gary, understandable. I got run over with too many campaigns in 2012 too. (I don't foresee getting my own Hangar Queen done for this one either.)

Grenadier, not you though! Welcome to the group! That's a cool subject. I hadn't heard of that plane before. I hope the Heller kit isn't too much trouble. It looks like it's molded well. Some fine parts, but low overall parts count (I model in 1/72 also). The trick will be the painting and finishing-- are you going to match the camo on the box art?

Thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhhh! I'm parachuting into this one with my Dragon 1/48 FW190. Lost my biggest (and only contract) so I have time to burn.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
raypalmer, welcome to the campaign-- your butcher bird looks worthy of completion. Very sorry to hear why you have time to join one more campaign. It's a bad news day all around.
-Sean H.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 11:18 AM UTC
And now I have a rush contract to end the 24th... don't think this Wurger will fly in time for this campaign. It'll have to settle for entry in January's MOM...

On the plus side I have the canopy masked and on, it's primed and panel lines are blacked...
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... The trick will be the painting and finishing-- are you going to match the camo on the box art?

Thanks for posting!
-Sean H.

Hey Sean,

Well the old girl is an easy build because of the parts count. Heller opted to leave the cockpit devoid of any detail save a seat. Here she is in paint and decals, all done this weekend.

The C.714 was a dog of an airplane and was ordered out of service after just two months. The Polish squadron that was equipped with them disobeyed the order, because they had no replacement aircraft, and managed to shoot down a few of the bad guys. No two aircraft of this types were painted with the same pattern.

Paint is MisterKit, decals are from a sheet by Colorado.

Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 04:47 PM UTC
DONE!

EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hello everyone, i have some progress to show you. I added some small parts to the fuselage, some from the sprue some scratch built. Also did some scribing and sanding... finally i got to the point of priming, using Tamiya's fine primer. There are some areas to take care for, but generally I am happy with the result. The final picture shows the range of paints I am about to use on this orange bird

All the best
Metodi.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
Looking good, grenadier and Metodi!
Raypalmer, sorry to see you go already, but congrats on that contract.
-Sean H.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
I checked that Grenadier successfully posted to the gallery, and the date jumped out at me-- Lo and Behold, THERE ARE ONLY 10 DAYS LEFT!! I've got to get moving on all the campaigns I'm in that end on December 31!!
Oh, yeah, and Metodi, what tape did you use to mask the windows? That looks like a work of art in itself!
Cheers,
Sean H.
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC
Sean, the side windows are masked with Tristar masking tape.For the front end i used self adhesive aluminium tape. And yes it looks like art itself... some strange and hard to understand art
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:17 PM UTC
Wow, now I have to go back thru 15 pages of posts to figgure out it I finished my hanger queen
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:57 PM UTC
Rest assured, Mark, that back in May you posted to the gallery . If that link doesn't work, the path is KM Gallery/ Aeroscale/ Aeroscale Campaigns/ 2012 Aeroscale Campaigns/ Hangar Queen 2.
There you can see Mark's AD-6 Skyraider on page 2 of 3, and the newest entry, Grenadier37's C-714 with that nifty Polish national marking over the British roundel.
-Sean H.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 05:01 PM UTC
Thanks I went the galley route too. But I thought it was posted in September......
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Grenadier----Cool looking Caudron. Definitely not an airframe you see everyday.

Allen---Sorry about the F-86. NMF's can be tough to do. I lost a silver-doped Tamiya Mosquito due to a botched finish a couple of years ago

Metodi---Helo looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished project.

I continued work on my EA-6A and should be on track to wrap up for next Sunday.

Massive masking job to do the silver leading edges:

Post masking tape!:

And with sub assemblies:

I will smoke the panel lines with Tamiya Smoke today and should be on track to Future tonight. Then the Playboy Bunny decals go on!!!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!!

Ian