Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stars of the VVS Official Thread
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC
Here is my planned entry for this campaign, just ordered it from Greatmodels today.

If all goes well, I will also do a Su-35 or Su-37.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Tony, great choice. I have bought almost the same aircraft as well from Eduard.
My marking options are a bit different and so are some of the aircraft details. However, I am going to enter mine into the Mark Shape campaign as I will be doing a Czech version.

It looks good when you open the box and hoepfully it will go together well when I get started.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hey-ho let's go, I'm in too!
While visiting an LHS today, I couldn't resist making an impulse buying.

But with a price tag of 10€, what can you do?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

impulse buying.

Hi Eetu!

So this is how you call it... I'm an impulsive buyer too!

The kit looks very nice and detailled. Those PE parts will be areal pleasure to work with for sure! especially in 1/72 scale!

Jean-Luc
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi all!

I have finally decided on my build for this Campaign.

It was a tough choice but I decided to go for a contemporary fighter this time.
Modern and with a most dangerous "bite";

Academy´s Su-27 Flanker B in 1/48, but I will do another version with Cutting Edge decals.

I have had this kit for years, begging to get built.
Now I have the proper motivation for this bird!

So this time I´m sticking to 1/48, but It´s quite a large aircraft anyway!

Can´t wait for the Campaign to take off!

Cheers!

Stefan E
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stefan!

Actually it already did! Start date was the 1st of July, so fire away if you want!

Nice choice by the way!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Academy´s Su-27 Flanker B in 1/48, but I will do another version with Cutting Edge decals.

Hi Stefan

great choice, my favorite modern jet. Once you've seen a Pugatschow Cobra and even crazier maneuvres you must love it.

Quoted Text

It already has!

cheers

Steffen
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:17 PM UTC
Ooops!

How could I miss that?

I have been pretty busy with my F-14 and P-47, and will have them "out of the way" before my Su-27 Takes off!

I have some AM stuff incoming for the Su-27, so I have to wait for this to arrive too.

I will give a full report when I have all the "goodies" collected and I´m ready to give full throttle on this Campaign!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
While I'm clearing my workbench of the T-34 I've had unfinished for years (as an entry to a campaign, my chances of getting it done go up considerably), I started looking around for references to my La-7, mainly for the exterior colors. As usual, Eduard's instruction point out primarily to Gunze's paints. Unfortunately, other manufacturer's (tamiya, humbrol and model master numbers are given in the chart) don't seem to make the alternatives to the camo scheme.
The underside light blue is by far the easiest, it seems that somewhat lightened RLM65 would do. The two greys on the uppers aren't that clear to me. Of course, there's WEM's enamels, but those aren't available in Finland. (and I've switched to acrylics too)
The lighter of the two greys is pointed out to tamiya's XF54, which should be dark sea grey, I assume.

What would you recommend?

Here's some sites that I found while searching.
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_soviet.htm
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/colour-samples.php
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/La7-3gun/index.php
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/january/aviation/Eduard_La7.php
http://www.aviapedia.com/wwii/la-7/url]
[url]http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=26270;26493;25466

^This is the 3-color scheme I'm needing help with
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi,

There's some paint equivalent here:
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/ColorResearch/paints.php

In the 1/48 Gavia kit for the La-7 Gavia(Eduard) suggest Tamiya XF-66 for the light grey(AMT-11)
and Tamiya XF-54 for the Dark grey(AMT-12) and XF-23 for the underside light blue(AMT-7)

I use White ensign and they are great even if they are not acrylics.
Note that it had taken less than 2 weeks from UK to Canada.
Since Finland is nearer it should be faster...
I think ;-)

Good luck.
Jean
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:28 PM UTC
Well after long consideration. After pouring through my decals and reminding myself that you can never have too many Fokker D.VII kits on the shelf. I think I have found my colour scheme. I will certainly be an easy one. Dark green uppersurfaces with lt. blue undersurfaces. It will also have red stars and some unit and personal markings. I am feeling the need to jazz up this scheme with maybe and engine swap in progress?

http://www.aerofile.info/fokkerd7/d7html/kozhevnikovin.htm

Aircraft History
"This Fokker was part of No. 1 OIAE stationed at Petrograd (Leningrad) in 1923. Pilot was A. T. Kozhevnikov. The aircraft of the squadron appear to have been divided into three flights of five plus a leaders aircraft. Here we have the squadron leaders aircraft, the famous Pharaoh emblem was Kozhevnikov's personal badge. USSR Fokker D.VII Profile. Copyright by Kristjan Runarsson (profile and text. . .This Profile is based on a single lineup photo of the 1'st OIAE. The Pharaoh badge was traced from a photograph of the same badge applied to a Fokker C.III trainer. The Profile is fairly accurate. Only the presence of the red stars is conjectural since no photo clearly shows either upper or lower wing stars. Judging from photos of other types of contemporary Soviet aircraft these would have been present. It is possible that the upper wing star was not applied. One final note concerning the Pharaoh badge. There has been some speculation that the areas I have interpreted as Lapiz Lazuli Blue were red on the original. I chose to stick with my blue since it is very common in ancient Egyptian art but in the interest of accuracy it should be noted that the matter has been debated. "

http://www.brushfirewars.org

". . .Enter Tony Fokker! Since the very beginning of the unrest in Russia Fokker had been interested in the new regime. Fokker was no flaming Bolshevik but he knew that the arms manufacturers of Europe would not be jumping all over each other to sell the Reds armaments. Fokker had a very flexible political conviction (some claim it was totally absent) in short Fokker was a pure business man. When he rebuilt his company during the post WWI period Fokker decided that a customer is a customer and he did not hesitate to do business with Reds while the rest of the worlds aircraft manufacturers considered it beneath them to do so. The Red government contracted with Fokker for a large quantity of aircraft in during the early 1920's. These included 50 D.VII fighters, 42 C.III trainers, 3 C.1 two-seaters, 52 D.XIII fighters (50 for the Weimar Republic) and 125 Fokker D.XI fighters (plus 50 more for the Weimar Republic)4). Additionally Fokker sold the Soviets rebuild facilities for these aircraft. The catastrophic defeat at the hands of Pilduski and his Poles had impressed the importance of military upgrades on the Red leadership and it is probable that the D.VII was bought as an intermediary measure pending the delivery of the more potent D.XI. The D.VII was becoming obsolescent by 1922 and its charm would have been the fact that it was available at short notice. Whatever the truth of the matter the D.VII was delivered to Russia in two batches of 25 and the first unit, No. 1 Otdelnaya Aviaeskadrilya (OIAE - independent squadron) was online at Petrograd by December 1922 or shortly afterwards during early 1923 and another D.VII squadron was online in Kiev by December 1922, guarding the uneasy peace with Poland. The D.VII was one of the first new aircraft to equip the thoroughly modernized and reorganized Red Air Fleet (this later became the Soviet air force the VVS, Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily). The history of the D.VII was long in Soviet service. The Soviets took the trouble of upgrading the D.VII in various ways including the installation of a wheel axle mounted auxiliary fuel tank. The D.VII remained in use as a trainer at least until the 1930's when it was phased out in this role in favor of other aircraft. . ."

Maybe some Eduard WWII Russians with a little backdating?

oleander13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
Speaking of Eduard WWII Russian kits...I'm planning on doing Colonel A. I Pokryshkin's P-39N from Eduard's awesome Airacobra lineup. I'll try to get some pics of the kit up later.
Murfv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 40 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi all, just enlisted for my first aircraft campaign.
I picked up the Italeri issue of the AM 1/48 Il2 and I have a Revell Hurricane IIb in 1/72 along with a set of decals from the Sky Models Hurricane decal sheet which I intend to have a go at.
I hope that I will be able to get something completed now that I have a deadline to meet.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
Time to kick off the progress reports!
Ive made a start on my Hurricane.Im looking forward to the filling and sanding so much that Ive put it to one side and made a start on my entry for the Guardian Angel campaign for a while instead,,LOL.

Hopefully this lack of motivation wont last too long as Im looking forward to getting this to the painting stage
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

A Hurricane!

That's what I'm building currently, but it's Revell's (Hasegawa) 1/48 scale kit. I'm looking forward to see some progress on yours... and red stars!
I think I will start my LaGG in a few days so you won't feel too lonely.

Jean-Luc
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi,

here's my entry:
La-7 flown by twice HSU, Aleksei Vasilievich Alelyukhin

Profile from Erik Pilawskii & Chris Banyai-Riepl, Radial Engined Lavochkins of WW2. (I reduced the size and the resolution of the profile).

I'll use Gavia's 1/48 with professionnal accessories(ie PE, canopy and wheels masks)
I'll replace the wheels with True details wheels, the canopy with Squadron's made for Hobbycraft La-7. I'll also use the rear deck of the True details canopy set made for Hobbycraft La-5.

The main reported problem for this kit was the rear part of the fuselage being too narrow.
See this link for more infos on this subject:
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Lavochkin/La-7/Gavia/Workbench/index.php
My intent is to use the True details rear deck as a spacer to have the right width. In this way the Squadron canopy should fit... In theory!!!

Since I had begun work in the pit this week I'll post some photos later today.
All the best.

Jean
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi,

here's some photos from my La-7 cockpit construction.
The PE from this kit is quite complete but I had to add some bits.

It's almost done. Then the primer.

Jean

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Jean!

Very nice subject and very nice start! I can't wait to see more!

I will join you soon with a LaGG3...

Jean-Luc
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
I will build either a LA 7 or a Yak 3 from Eduard's "Weekend Edition" range of 1/48th kits.
Haven't decided which one yet but hopefully it should be a quick build to get me back into the grove after 3 weeks of no modelling due to moving house.
I will be using the Soviet range of paints from WEM for the aircraft for the first time, so as I'm not used to using enamels I'm expecting a few hiccups .
Andy
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC
I Andy,

Quoted Text

I will be using the Soviet range of paints from WEM for the aircraft for the first time, so as I'm not used to using enamels I'm expecting a few hiccups .
Andy

I'm using WEM for my VVS airplanes and they are great.
For airbrushing I thin them with lacquer thinner on a 1:1 ratio and use low pressure.
The results are fine. It give a nice satin finish.
All the best.
Jean
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi all!

I made a start on my LaGG-3!

So far I only dressed up the cockpit interior a bit. I'm usually happy with what is provided in the box of a kit but not this time. The South Front kit only provides basic detail so I used various parts from the spare box as well as scratchbuild parts to make the cockpit look more busy...

I used some references but the result can't be considered as accurate so don't use this build as a guide for your own LaGG-3 model.

I think I will paint the interior in grey color tomorrow.

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC
Looking very nice Jean-Luc.
The added detail looks very good.
Im still battling away with my Hasegawa Hurricane. Sanding, filling and rescribing. I thought "TamiGawa" kits had a reputation for falling together. Certainly not the Hasegawa "Red Star" Hurricane that I was expecting to have half finished by now
I'll get there in the end
Nige
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

looking good!

Jean
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
Evening gents. Making some progress on the MiG-21s. I'll post some pics in a day or so.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:18 PM UTC
I'm in too! Will be doing a 1/32 MiG15 by Hobbycraft with marks of Russian ace of Korea conflict."High over the Yaloo in '52
cheers!