Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stars of the VVS Official Thread
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 05:06 AM UTC
I know this may be slightly off-topic but I was wondering if any manufacturers have produced a russian maintenance crew-preferably colder weather--in 1/48 scale. I imagine that there has to be something out there. I performed a search on google last night and could not find anything. The reason I ask is that I was going to use a maintenance figure from another model and had set it out and one of my dogs played "Dogzilla" with it and amputated his head, both arms and both legs. I will post a pic in the near future. I am almost certain that maybe she was making a statement about spending more time with her since she did such a good surgical amputaion of each extremity. And they say that golden retrievers don't have a mean bone in their body. I beg to differ. Now only if she could sand the squadron putty off of my plane while I am at work I could get it done much faster!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Patrick.
Eduard and ICM do a set of Russian pilots and VVS Personal in 1:48.
May not be exactly what your looking for but perhaps a good basis for some conversions.
Hope this helps.
Nige
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Nigel--I went looking last night and saw those two figure sets that you recommended. I also came across a tamiya set that had two characters I could use with my plane--only problem is that it is a german maintenance set. I'm thinking that maybe I can get away with using these figures with a few slight modifications. Russian mechanics clothing probably wasn't that elaborate so maybe i can get away with it. Maybe one of you guys have done this before and can give me a brief summary as to what changes to make other than the obvious removal of german insignia. Thanks in advance for any help.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:54 AM UTC
The Yak is done. Just 2 pics for now to show that it is finished. I'll do some better pics sometime next week outside using natural light. For now though i'm on the nasty part of my work shift...go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.

It's a nice model kit. The combination of Accurate Miniatures plastic with Eduards special scheme decals and brass cockpit is a good one, i hope they do some more.

Andrew

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll do some better pics sometime next week outside using natural light.

Hi Andrew!

Wow! What a georgous model!

I hope you will shoot tons of pictures and send some to us for a nice feature!

It's time for me to update the VVS status table, what do you think?

Jean-Luc
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you will shoot tons of pictures and send some to us for a nice feature!

Thanks Jean-Luc, better wait to see what the pics i take look like first
So for these campaigns i post a few pics here, but also upload some to the actual campaign folder as well, right? This is my first one remember, so i'm a bit clueless.

I like the campaign idea though...it was more fun building something to a theme. I'll think i'll be back for another VVS build before this one's over- i wanted to do the ICM Mig 3 actually (my favourite VVS aircraft) but i'm concerned about the decals in that one. But i've heard Trumpeter are releasing their 1/48 scale Mig 3 soon. In the meantime i think i'll go over to the Pacific for a bit...

Andrew
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So for these campaigns i post a few pics here, but also upload some to the actual campaign folder as well, right? This is my first one remember, so i'm a bit clueless.

Hi Andrew and all!

Yes, you must upload at least one picture of your finished model in the official VVS Campaign gallery.

Below is an uploaded status table for the VVS Campaign. If you don't see the new one, refresh your browser. I always replace the older table with the new one in the gallery...

If I made a mistake, please tell me. We have 32 participants so far and 12 already started their entries. So far we have 6 Heroes of the Soviet Union!
I have one question though, were are all the modern aircraft? The finished models are all WW2!

Jean-Luc
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi all,
Unfortunately, i change the my model. Because i am lose the canopy part.

I made by new model. Again Alanger's Yak-7D.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So far we have 6 Heroes of the Soviet Union!
I have one question though, were are all the modern aircraft? The finished models are all WW2!

Jean-Luc

Surely this should be 5 heroes and 1 Heroine as afterall Sam's is one of the finished models If i get enough time i'll try and get my 1/72 Hasegawa mig-29 "display aircraft" (can't remember which one it is) done for the campaign.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Great work everyone!
There are some stunning models both finished and in progress here.
Ive been called many things in my time but this is the first time I can recall being called a "Hero Of The Soviet Union"
Nige
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Were are all the modern aircraft?

Hi all!

Now It´s time to get this one on the runway and prepare for start-up!

Here comes a really modern russian aircraft; the Su-27 Flanker B in 1/48 from Academy.

Here are some of the goodies I will use on this build;

Resin cockpit set and resin exhaust cans from Aires and a new set of decals from Aeromaster/Eaglestrike.

This set contains two new exhaust cans plus the burner rings as etched parts.
Only ten parts in the little box, but what parts!
The detail on these cans are exquisite!

Painted in my favourite paint; Alclad steel, the details really comes to life!

...and we are airborne and climbing for this campaign!

I will resume when my Tomcat´s done!

Cheers!

Stefan E
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Ok, i've given up on waiting for the weather to improve for some outside shots. So inside will have to do.

Yak-1b flown by Gold Star of Hero of the Soviet Union with 25 victories, Vladimir P. Pokrovskiy. Scheme dated probably imediatley after WW2. The 2nd Guards Fighter Air Regiment (Northern Fleet) apparently flew Yak-1's very late.

Andrew

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:23 PM UTC
The new photos have definately been worth waiting for Andrew!
Looks like a contender for MoM to me.
Whats next on your build list?
Nige
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The new photos have definately been worth waiting for Andrew!
Looks like a contender for MoM to me.
Whats next on your build list?
Nige

Thanks Nigel. Next build (already well into it) is a Tamiya 1/48 Corsair for the Pacific campaign. A quick easy one i hope.

Andrew
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC
Very nice work everyone, I'm really playing catch up now!!

Ok just to prove that I do actually make models I have uploaded some pics (finally) of my Yak 9T.
Basically my card reader and my dads card reader have both failed at the same time so I'vew had to take the pics using my phone so apologies on quality.

Ok last night I managed to get the fuselage sides together and start filling and sanding. Theres alot sadly.

I also fitted the wings after ALOT of thinning to make the trailing edges look half real. As you can see even more filler needed.

As you can see it needs even more filler for the wing joints.

I gotta say i'm pretty disappointed about this model. The filling I can live with but I really hoped it would be a bit more detailed from out of the box as I'm not 100% confident with scratch building yet. Suppose for £6 I shouldn't really complain however it's put me off getting more even though I find the subjects covered really fascinating.

Hopefully more to come soon.

Howard
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:43 AM UTC
Well as a break from my Buccaneer kit i decided to finish my Yak. As I was doing this for a little fun (and Hobby Boss kits just fall together) I guessed the paint scheme as the colour paint guide was a little vague. So here it is...

As always comments are welcome
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
Very good job on the yak, Allen! You can be proud of that one. Great looking colourful markings
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Allen!

Very nice model! And it's a Normandie-Niemen one... Another "Hero of the Soviet Union" to put on the list!

I must say I'm impressed by the number and the quality of the kits for this Campaign. But there are still no modern Soviet jets!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But there are still no modern Soviet jets!

Why the impatience? We're not even through ww2 and you're demanding modern jets.

Speaking of such jets, I got that half-built Mig thingie still in the box, but I'll have to see if I have the time to build another entry for this campaign. I'm intending to finish that T-34 before the end of this month, and then there's the Mark Sharpe memorial and pacific campaigns.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC

I'm ready, but just realized that only the underbelly of the helicopter has the red star... I'll take some photos of that, too.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Greetings all;
Now that the Roden 1/32 Pfalz D.III is finished I can begin on my promised entry here. I will have to keep it simple for the time constraints. So here it is. I'll start with a Roden 1/48 scale Fokker D.VII. The amount of photos available are minimal so I stick to the basics. Blue Rider did the decals. I'll be back later with more details.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all;
Now that the Roden 1/32 Pfalz D.III is finished I can begin on my promised entry here. I will have to keep it simple for the time constraints. So here it is. I'll start with a Roden 1/48 scale Fokker D.VII. The amount of photos available are minimal so I stick to the basis. Blue Rider did the decals. I'll be back later with more details.

I like this one! Well actually i like all DVII's...my favourite aircraft of all time. The Russian machine you mention was recently part of a series of profile features in "Scale Aircraft Modelling" for the DVII. The one i plan to do (not for this campaign obviously) is an interesting Finnish aircraft -6693/18- with a 4 colour splinter camo scheme dated on the profile as 1920.

I assume most post war DVII's would have Benz engines if it's not mentioned otherwise? I mean the BMW engines were in short supply during the war and i doubt they were in much of a position to supply many afterwards.

Andrew
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC

I applied first coat of Gunze Mr.Surfacer 1200. Later continuning preshade phase.

Model ready to paint.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .I like this one! Well actually i like all DVII's...my favourite aircraft of all time. The Russian machine you mention was recently part of a series of profile features in "Scale Aircraft Modelling" for the DVII. The one i plan to do (not for this campaign obviously) is an interesting Finnish aircraft -6693/18- with a 4 colour splinter camo scheme dated on the profile as 1920.

I assume most post war DVII's would have Benz engines if it's not mentioned otherwise? I mean the BMW engines were in short supply during the war and i doubt they were in much of a position to supply many afterwards. Andrew

Greetings Andrew;
This subject is sort of an interest of mine and several others. Here are a couple of threads to help.

BMW in 1918.

various Mercedes types.

There seemed to be a wide crossection of engines associated with post war Fokker D.VII. The Benz Bz.IIIa was basically a copy of the Mercedes D.IIIaü & D.IIIav (180hp & 200hp) repectively. These motors only lasted for about 20-30 hours before needing overhauling. So spare motors of various types were probably purchased or scrounged from various sources.

Since this was the commander's aircraft I may go with a BMW IIIa for this build.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
I saw this on another site. Is it a model or is it real? Think about it and then follow the link.

http://www.russianaeros.com/yak9product.htm