Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stars of the VVS Official Thread
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

I made a start on my LaGG-3!

So far I only dressed up the cockpit interior a bit. I'm usually happy with what is provided in the box of a kit but not this time. The South Front kit only provides basic detail so I used various parts from the spare box as well as scratchbuild parts to make the cockpit look more busy...

I used some references but the result can't be considered as accurate so don't use this build as a guide for your own LaGG-3 model.

I think I will paint the interior in grey color tomorrow.

Jean-Luc

Looking good! I hope you haven't forgotten seatbelts?
And about the interior grey, what paint are going to use?
One more thing. I presume this later La-5 also comes with the rubber tires and separate plastic wheels? The earlier kit has the wheels molded in a different-looking plastic. I assume it's to prevent the wheels from reacting with styrene? And because of this, I presume normal styrene cement won't work?

"Some references"? Let me guess, it's IL2 Sturmovik?
I know, good pics of Russian planes are quite hard to find. I just bought MPM's 1:48 Pe-2 (not for this campaig though, it'll become, surprise surprise, a Finnish-operated plane. After a few searches, I found one reasonable site with pics of a plane being restored.
But talking about LaGG-3 (and La-5, too), here's a good site with photos and drawings: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/lagg3.html#29-lg1

Btw, how were the clear parts in your copy?
I got the earlier LaGG-3 (4th batch) kit in my stash waiting to be built as the Finnish LG-1. The sliding part of the canopy has a nasty crack in the middle. No worries, I found falcon's clear-vac canopy set with a suitable canopy (or at least I hope so, it says it's designed for LTD's kit...).
But as usual, one thing leads to another. With the kit-supplied clear parts, I could have well built the "office" out of the box, but with the vac-canopy, I'll have to start thinking about gathering aftermarket stuff and planning scratch-built additions.

I made a start with my entry too. As mentioned earlier, it's eduard's 1:72 3-gun La-7. Nothing too grand, I started with the interior, assembled the propeller (I hope I got the blades on straight, these things with individual blades always give me trouble). I also removed the landing flaps from the lower wing to make way for the PE parts. There's still some grinding to do with the upper wing to make them fit, though. According to the instructions, the upper wing part has to be thinned to 0,3mm in the area where the flaps go.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

Looking good! I hope you haven't forgotten seatbelts?

No Eetu, I haven't!

I'm finished with the cockpit and it was painted with various shades of grey (Tamiya acrylics) and washed with tinted Future. I didn't add too much colors as I don't have many references about the LaGG-3.
Next step will be to close the fuselage and I forsee some difficulties because of the additional detail parts I've added in the cockpit. I hope it won't be too complicated though...

Quoted Text

"Some references"? Let me guess, it's IL2 Sturmovik?

No, not IL2!
I've gathered some drawings on the web, including some I found on the link you mentionned earlier.

Quoted Text

Btw, how were the clear parts in your copy?

I didn't noticed such a crack in my sample. But I will probably polish the clear parts and apply some Future to them.

Quoted Text

I made a start with my entry too.

Very nice! It seems the Russian sky is full of WW2 planes... were are the jets?

Quoted Text

I thought "TamiGawa" kits had a reputation for falling together. Certainly not the Hasegawa "Red Star" Hurricane that I was expecting to have half finished by now

Nigel, Tamiya kits are falling together but not Hasegawa kits. Most of them have been designed in a modular way to allow other variants to be build. I always had to use filler on the Hasegawa kits I've built...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel, Tamiya kits are falling together but not Hasegawa kits. Most of them have been designed in a modular way to allow other variants to be build. I always had to use filler on the Hasegawa kits I've built...

Jean-Luc

Its certainly giving me a few headaches Jean Luc,but Im slowly getting there,along with the Italeri helicopter Im building at the same time.
Cant wait for August 1st to roll round so I can start on another Tamiya P-47
Nige
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 09:10 AM UTC
Here's my progress so far ... 1st up is the aft section of the 1/48 Academy

And here's the 1/32 trumpy...

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Looks great, Todd

Especially the cockpit looks good. This is one big beast.

Looking forward to see more
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:13 AM UTC
Some fine planes being created here.

I have this in my stash but I'm not sure if I dare sign up as it takes me AGES to finish models

Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some fine planes being created here.

I have this in my stash but I'm not sure if I dare sign up as it takes me AGES to finish models

Oh, go for it, there is plenty of time!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
There, it wasn't so hard as I thought it would be. One done, one more to go. The actual flaps don't look nowhere as fiddly as the part that goes to the upper wing half.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi all!

Wow! It seems things are getting more serious... and we have a jet! Thanks Todd...

Howard, you have until the end of this year to build your model... and if you are too slow you'll know what to do on December 31st!

Eetu, are these 1/72 scale flaps? They look very nice! Did you use an Hold and Fold tool?

Maybe it's the right time to do a listing of all participants for the Campaign.

I made some progress on my LaGG-3. The cockpit is finished and I glued the fuselage halves together. It was a bit difficult but honestly I don't know if it's due to the bad engineering of the kit or the additional detail parts I have added. Probably a little bit of both...

I also assembled the wings. To achieve a satisfying result, I had to thin both the leading and trailing edges and also the two part ailerons. The latter are really difficult to get properly in place on the wings. I had to reduce them both in thickness and length but even with this additional work the fit was terrible. Finally I simply puttied the whole area so to be able to sand the surface smooth and rescribe new ailerons later. The wing roots have also received their share of putty but it looks worse on the picture than it really is.

Tomorrow I will work on the nose of the aircraft...

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu, are these 1/72 scale flaps? They look very nice! Did you use an Hold and Fold tool?

Thanks.
Yep, 1:72 that is.
Nope, I don't have any specific PE tools. I used a metal caliper, #11 knife blades and that small block of wood you often see in my WIP photos.
Here's a WIP pic of the wings being clamped together with the flap interiors in place. Those Clothes pegs should give an idea of the scale.

The wings needed some more sanding to get the flaps fit in without gaps, but it wasn't such a big chore I expected.

Quoted Text

I also assembled the wings. To achieve a satisfying result, I had to thin both the leading and trailing edges and also the two part ailerons. The latter are really difficult to get properly in place on the wings. I had to reduce them both in thickness and length but even with this additional work the fit was terrible. Finally I simply puttied the whole area so to be able to sand the surface smooth and rescribe new ailerons later. The wing roots have also received their share of putty but it looks worse on the picture than it really is.

Tomorrow I will work on the nose of the aircraft...

Well, it's a limited run kit. But it doesn't matter that much with LaGG's, since there isn't much surface detail near the major seams. The upper nose part is another thing, filling will require care.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I am moving along slowly with my Yak-3 from Eduard. This is the first time I do a cockpit almost entirely made out of PE - or that is the way it feels anyway. The Eduard set is pretty nice even though the seatbelts seem a little "straight" for my taste.

It is coming along nicely and I closed up the cockpit yesterday, but there are still a few things to add and a little painting to do before it is finished.

Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC
Looking good Jesper
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but there are still a few things to add and a little painting to do before it is finished.

Hi Jesper!

Sounds very optimistic!

Not much progress on the LaGG-3 to report today. I'll let the pictures speak!

There will be no update from me tomorrow because I will be away. See you later during the week-end...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:28 AM UTC
Jean-Luc.
Your LaGG-3 looks remarkably similar to my Hurricane
Have a good weekend away,,it looks like you could do with a break!
Im away working this weekend as well and intend to press on with the Hurri next week while Ive still got some motivation
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

but there are still a few things to add and a little painting to do before it is finished.

Hi Jesper!
Sounds very optimistic!

Jean-Luc

Well, of course I were talking about the cockpit, no t the whole plane

Todd, thanks for the comment. Appreciate it. These Eduard prepainted cockpits seem nice. Definently something I will use in the future as well.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:35 AM UTC
I'm about ready to start painting the interior now.

There seems to be one that I haven't quite learnt yet. Leave small parts in the sprues until needed.
I had already de-sprued the front wall part of the tail wheel well, thinking it would be easily found later. As usual, it was nowhere to be found when it was time to glue it in place. Well, fortunately it was easy to make a new one from styrene sheet.
I was quite surprised when I dryfitted it the first time, it seems my mk.I eyeballs are working pretty well after all.

A few swipes with a sanding stick on the new part and the fit was perfect.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
A small update on my Eduard Yak-3.

I finished the cockpit and the rest of the construction. This seems to be a really simple plane without any fuss.

After being used to look at the more streamlined FW 190 and ME 109s the Yak seems surprisingly strange in its forms. The tail and body seems more boxlike than I would have expected. Furthermore the wings seem thick and strangely pointed at the ends. Anyway a very interesting profile for this bird - at least for me being "relatively" new to aircraft modelling.

Next is the painting.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:39 AM UTC
That Yak seems to have gone together with minimal filling, looks very clean.

Here's my La-7 so far.

The fuselage is already glued together, the tape is used to hold the cannon access panel in place while the glue dries. Fit was good but not flawless, notice the thin shim of styrene filling a gap in the rear of the panel.
That amount of putty in the rear fuselage maybe an overkill, the fit was very good again, but since there's no panel lines to worry about, I slapped the putty on quite generously.
Test fitting the wing revealed a gap between the engine cowling and the front of the wing so some more shims and putty will be required.

A little trip backward in time and we see the cockpit interior painted up and the kit-supplied PE in place. After thinking about it, I decided not to scratch-build the missing radio deck behind the cockpit, keeping this build nice and simple.

And here's the stuff that goes inside the fuselage. There's some paint smudges to fix in the seat-and-bulkhead assembly, but it's mostly done. The instrument gauges are still all white because the PE part was glued moments ago with micro's krystal klear. I thought that why struggle with superglue when I get much more adjusting time and the gauges finished at the same time.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
Small progress on my Hasegawa Hurricane.
Finally,after much filling,sanding and rescribing,the primer is on and next up will be preshading.
Its far from perfect,but I have hit the stage where it'll have to do or it runs the risk of not being built or worse.
This thing has really tried my patience over the last few days, but I think Ive turned the corner now

Nige
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hello all. Here's a bit of progress on the 1/32 MiG-21. intial coat of paint

and a bit closer on the wing, it didn't come out as I had hoped but you get the idea

Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:48 PM UTC
Nice looking builds everybody...

@ Jesper - That Yak really 'flew' together It does look quite nice. Can't wait to see it painted.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:18 PM UTC
Todd, your MiG is coming along very nicely.

@Todd and Eetu: The Yak is a simple build and fits together well. The only thing requiring time and skill is the million PE parts for the cockpit

I have started on the painting, but I simply fu***** it up last night. I did not thin the paint correctly and the pattern did not turn out right. I will have to start over on the top sides. Maybe I will simply have to bring out the paint brush to save it. Time will tell.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi all!

I see some fine progress here!

Jesper, I hope you will be able to apply a new camouflage without too much difficulties...

Talking about "difficulties" here are some progress pictures of my LaGG-3. Well, "progress" is maybe a bit exaggerated! I found a nice picture of an early LaGG-3 in one of my books and noticed the nose of the kit was not very representative of the real thing, so I reshaped it by modifying the kit parts and using tons of filler...

I spent my time in the past days sanding the surface of the kit smooth to (hopefully) get a nice finish for the paint job...

I haven't decided on a paintsheme so I've purchased Erik Pilawskii's SOVIET AIR FORCE FIGHTER COLOURS 1941-1945 book to help me in that matter. I must admit I know nothing about the subject yet...

Tomorrow I will rescribe the whole kit (guess where all the panel lines have gone) and hopefully get a first coat of paint on this South Front "Frankenstein kit"...

Jean-Luc
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 02:44 PM UTC
Good Evening gents,

@ Jean-Luc ; That looks like its been a beast to get together, but coming along nicely.

Here's the camo on the MiG. I start lightening the panels in the next day or so and the the hard work begins... LOL

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi Todd!

Very nice camouflage scheme!

Below is a table which shows the status of each participant: name, enlisted or not, model build, model started and model finished.
So far we have 22 participants for this Group Build. Only six have started their entries and nobody has finished a kit so far. But there are still 5 months to go, so there is plenty of time!

If I made a mistake or forgot someone, just tell me...

Jean-Luc