Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Mark Sharpe official Modern Campaign Thread
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 03:40 PM UTC
Continued...

Landing gears... (I realised that modern A10s have their landing gears in white, will be changing soon)

The GUB-8 is not ready... Will be using silver paint markers to colour the stripes instead of painting it...

Her first coat of Neutral Gray (USAAF)

CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 03:43 PM UTC

[img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9117/2001082114px5.jpg" BORDER="0">Front view

Love this picture the most (Sorry for the lousy quality, taking pictures with a VGA Motorola L7 literally sucks... )

That's all for now!
Still need help with weathering though...
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 03:45 PM UTC
Forgot to add... Those 2 sidewinders weren't from the kit, they came from Academy's 1/48 Apache helicopter set which came "extra" i suppose... Upon research i realised all A10s carry 2 sidewinders on a wing and a ECM pod on the other... Now i'm finding a way to join them both to the plyons...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Björn and Russell!

Nice to see some progress on your entries...

The Gripen is a nice looking aircraft. The A-10 too, but in a different way though...

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 06:48 PM UTC
Looks good, Russel. That A-10 is gearing up for war! Interesting to see the weapons load laid out like that.

Looking forward to see more
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi chaps.

A visit to the stash and a rush of blood to the head has changed my mind of what i will be building in memory of Mark. I thought a challenge would be a good idea, so i got out some of my 144 stash and went for a 5 plane mega build. Started on Friday night in the build of 2 No EA-6B Prowlers, 2 No A10 Thunderbolt 2s and an EA-18 Growler. I'm also gonna try to do the CVN deck that comes with the Growler. All Dragon Kits, all being done straight out of the box. I already wish i'd never seen the A-10's, a very bad kit, flash everywhere and fit is not the best.

Progress is as follows

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:42 PM UTC
Looks cool, Andy. A small air force

For a moment there I thought you were doing an aircraft carrier deck diorama, but the A-10 would probably not fit in. Maybe an "in country" airfield diorama from Afghanistan with some carrier aircraft on visit.
Or maybe no diorama at all just a display case

Looking forward to see more
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Russel: That's one heavy load! I've found out that creating just the right weapon load is one of the main objectives when building modern aircraft! You've truly accomplished this!

Andy: I'd love to see the same weapon load on your A-10! As you have notices, I'm a big fan on the smaller scales. I'm looking forward to the finished result!

Here are latest developements on my JAS 39A Gripen in 1/72:

The exhaust pipe from Aires did not fit, so I had to do some rectal surgery. Ouch!

Good thing I have a Dremel!

The inside of the exhaust was painted white, with a tiny bit of flesh, in order to resemble this colour. I'll give it a little wash later, to dirty it up and to lift up the details.

Soon it is time to paint the fuselage! Unfortunately, all Gripen aircraft (so far) are grey... Who knows, maybe Thailand will spice them up?

Cheers! // PolarBear
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC
Bjorn

Quoted Text

Andy: I'd love to see the same weapon load on your A-10! As you might have seen, I'm a big fan on the smaller scales. I'm looking forward to the finished result!

I'll do my best.

Andy
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:19 AM UTC
I had been eyeing an Eduard Mirage III CJ at my LHS for a few months. I picked it up a week ago and have been doing a power build since then.

I am almost done with the build. Just a few more pieces to attach, and a little light weathering. I will finish it in the morning and post some pics
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
I got the Mirage done. It was a very fine kit and a pleasure to build. I will shoot some pics in the morning.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC
You know what?
My entry's finished.

Take a look at my build thread for the whole bunch of photos:
Here.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Mine is finished also.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
Emeritus: That is one tough MiG. Thanks for the special thread. I enjoy all the detail that you've put in. The raw look of the NMF really makes this model stand out from the crowd!

CaptainA: Love the mirage IIICJ. I hope to build one before the end of 2008. I actually have the Eduard kit, but I've decided to go for 1/72. As I understand it, AML is the way to go in that scale. I've also opted for an NMF Mirage. The israelis kept their French birds highliy polished!

My own progress on the Saab JAS 39A Gripen is quite slow at the moment, since we are moving etc. I've started on a small but quite potent eaponload. Most of you will recognize the Sidewinders and the Mavericks. The big missile is a "Robot 15F", primarilly used for attacking naval targets.

Cheers! // PolarBear
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:10 PM UTC
Very nice Mavericks PolarBear! You've even got decals on it...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
Wow! a lot of nice builds getting finished and good progress in this campaign!

Nice MiG, Eetu! You must have the entire Finnish air force through time on your shelves by now Good result as always!

Carl, cool Mirage. Definently one of the coolest schemes for this aircraft. I really like the contrast between the colourful camouflage and the large recognition markings.

Polarbear, good job on the loadout for the Gripen. Looking forward to see more
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:07 AM UTC
Err actually building a F-104 now, sorry Jean-Luc, mucking up your table like that. Should be finished by the weekend.
I would post some pics but the batteries died in the camera and the recharger has gone walk-about .
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Err actually building a F-104 now, sorry Jean-Luc, mucking up your table like that. Should be finished by the weekend.

Hi Andy!

No problem for the table. That's why it is made for! It actually reminds me I have to update it...

Jean-Luc
DAR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
Some great builds have been completed, nice work guys!

I'm back in action now the fingers are pretty much back to normal. I hope to have the Cheetah D finished in time for the deadline, but to be completely honest it's looking a little doubtful.
I'll post some pictures on the latest progress.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
After taking the last 2 days off sick, I have managed to finish quicker then expected.
So here is my entry for The Mark Sharpe Modern Aircraft Campaign. Hasegawa's 1/48th F-104C Starfighter, in the markings of "Really George", 479th TFW, USAF George AFB, California 1958ish.
Andy

There is some fantastic entries in the gallery, any chance of this becoming a portfolio of sorts Jean-Luc.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice MiG, Eetu! You must have the entire Finnish air force through time on your shelves by now Good result as always!

Thanks.
The entire FAF arsenal on shelf? Not quite yet, but I'm working on it.

Good that someone mentioned the campaign gallery, as I had completely forgotten to upload pics of my Mig there. Now that's fixed.
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
Nice F-104... gotto love that silver scheme. Always wanted to build a silver f-104 but i don't have the courage to do silver stuffs....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC
Nice silver arrow, Andy

A very nice entry into the campaign.

Thanks for sharing
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi all!

With only two weeks left for the Campaign I thought it would be a good idea to update the table...

So far I can award 9 ribbons and we have 10 finished entries. I know some are currently working on their models so I hope to add some more to the finished list soon.

Good luck to everyone still building and maybe we should already talk about an extension... Steffen?

Jean-Luc
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
As said earlier in this thread, my Apache refuses to fly and I needed a backup plan.

This is taking shape but getting it ready is a real race with little time for photo updates and the like...

But maybe, considering the subject that i have chosen this is even appropriate.

I hope to finalise it this weekend and bring it on-line with a bang.

this is really skunky ;-)