Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Between the Wars Air Campaign
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi guy's I've just joined this campaign and will be building an Air France Dewoitine 333 as entered service in 1936 although only 3 were built.

I'm using the F-rsin 1/144 scale kit

Ciao
Luciano
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks cool, Andrew. It seems like a neat little model. What markeings and colours are you going to finish it in? The box art or as in the colour picture?

I'll be doing the aircraft in the photo, but as it was in 1934, not much difference really- but i may do it as it was before the swastikas were added to the tails. They had 3 horizontal stripes on the tail before the swastika- i'm surprised that they restored the aircraft with those tail markings, would have thought it would be more politically correct without the swastika. I believe the actual aircraft is part of the Shuttleworth collection.

And nice Me109 by the way. The 109 is my second favourite after Fokker DVII's. I built the Academy/Hobbycraft "D" last year as Moelders aircraft- complete with all the Hobbycraft innacuracies, but i still like how that one came out.

The FW44 is a nice kit. Better than i thought it would be from looking at the parts. They had a bit of cleaning up needed, but once that was done it fits well. And has excellent surface detailing for 1/72 scale.

It about ready for primer. But it's started raining outside like it always does when i'm ready for primer.

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And nice Me109 by the way. The 109 is my second favourite after Fokker DVII's. I built the Academy/Hobbycraft "D" last year as Moelders aircraft- complete with all the Hobbycraft innacuracies, but i still like how that one came out.
Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Appreciate it. The Academy 109 D is one of the contenders I am considering for the aces high campaign as Moelders version has quite some kill markings on the tail and would qualify. I might start it before the campaign starts, but have many other 109s will "aces" markings.

You FW 44 looks good. I am looking forward to see your bird in colours.

Pictures will follow soon on my ME 109 E.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:13 PM UTC
Here are some of the promised pictures.

Under all the maskng tape there is actually a Bf 109 E

Last pictures is the Bf 109 E with main painting scheme before any small mistakes were touched up and the markings applied.

More to follow soon

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Here is my finsihed entry for this campaign. The Hasegawa Bf 109 E in Spanich civil war decals from Aeromaster.

It is a fairly clean build. I tried some light weathering with pastels and washes on the last two pictures. I do not know how well it shows in the pictures, but the result was nice faded and lightly worn look of the fuselage.
I am quite satisfied with this one so it is being transported to Denmark from Latvia. Therefore no aerial yet.

If my Eduard 1/48 Fokker D VII will arrive in time I might also enter with that into the campaign....

Thanks for organising the campaign, Stephen.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:40 PM UTC
Nice Bf109 Jesper. I can see the results of the wash you applied, but not the pastels...it's probably too subtle an effect for compressed and downsized pics to show very well. I finally managed to get hold of one of the Classic Airframes early Bf109's- a "D". Excellent kit, but i won't be doing it for this campaign- it's destined to be a Swiss machine.

The Focke Wulf FW44 Stieglitz progresses. Slower than usual because i decided on enamel for the silver dope instead of Alclad or Acrylic. It had to be left for 3 days to set properly. It's why i don't use enamels, well that and the smell makes me ill if i use them inside.

I had big doubts about the decals in this Huma kit. They looked too thick and i was certain they would silver. But they work out fine, just need close trimming, as the entire sheet is almost one continuous decal film. 9 decal options too, everything from pre war German Sporting club aircraft, like the one i'm doing, to WW2 trainers with ski's, post war Swedish and Finnish schemes etc.
Unfortunately most schemes need a lot of masking.

Shouldn't be far from finishing, as it had very little rigging (just flying wires).

Andrew
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC
Jesper,
Very nice job on the ' 109. I guess it's time for me to get serious on this campaign and declare. Although I earlier posted I would see what I could do in 1/144th, I'll have to rescind that statement. I have several of Academy's Boeing P-26's in the stash, and they are just too beautiful a model to let pass by. So my entry will be a P-26 Peashooter, now I just have to figure out which scheme interests me the most. It is a shame the Aeromaster sheets are no longer available. Oh well, I'll keep the group posted when I make up my mind on colors. Take it easy, Gang......................Bruce
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
The FW44 is done. To be exact it's a FW44C, the later aircraft having different engines which gave the nose a bulkier, less streamlined look.

The first pic is from the Huma instructions of my build, i believe it's from around 1934- it has the original red, white, black tail stripes that were replaced later by the swastikas as per the restored version in the colour pic. I prefered the later tail, so built it that way. All the red areas were masked and sprayed, as was the black turtle deck. Codes are from the kit, swastika from aftermarket. Rigging nylon thread.

Nice kit with excellent surface details effects, but virtually no cockpit detail.

The FW44 was Germany's equivelent to the DH Moth series or the American Boeing Stearman. Though it seems the FW was more aerobatic than it's competition, largely due to it's very pronounced forward stagger on the top wing. Used in the early 30's with German "sporting" clubs which were, in reality, the training grounds for the birth of the Luftwaffe.
Like the Tiger Moth and Stearman, many of these are still flying today.
Used by Germany, Argentina, Sweden, Finland and probably many others.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 03:11 PM UTC
SGTJKJ very impressive! I look forward to your D.VII. Haere is a bit of fun on the matter of Swiss Fokker D.VII . See Cross & Cockade USA Vol . 22 #4 Pp. 355 - 57. Serial numbers and engine allocations are the main thrust of the short piece but also where the were overhauled at and what types were purchased when. Schwerin, OAW & Albatros Johhanistahl built.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Bruce and Stephen. I appreciate it very much

I am still waiting for the Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII from my local hobby store. I have some after market decals ready and some more ready to be ordered. I cannot decide whether to go for the Swiss, Russian, Polish or Swedish versions..... Luckily there are two kits in the box as I ordered the dual combo.

Andrew, very nice result on the FW44C. A very unusual scheme and markings. Something that will look different on the shelve. Thanks for sharing your process
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi Andrew!

Very nice model!

Do you have more pictures so we can make a photo feature out of it or maybe a build feature?

Anyway, congratulations!

Jean-Luc
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
Firstly very nice work Andrew.

Secondly as posted earlier my build is the Dewoitine 333 I will not be starting until later in the month but here is a pic of the box contents.

Remember its 1/144

Ciao
Luciano
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
hello,

hereby my entry in the official Campaign thread. It's going to be AZ Models Breda 27m. Italy's first steel monoplane aircraft.

I already did some work on this project and got this far:

Typical short run kit so to say. Needs a bit opf extra sanding and precize fitting, but it looks pretty good so far.

Another picture from the original:

Will keep you informed.
Greetings, Nico
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Go Nico Go!
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
I'm working on the rigging now, which is quit a lot for a monoplane. Kit instructions stat it needs 0,4 mm for the rigging suggesting stretched sprue. For me 0,4 mm is a bit too thick so I 'm using 0,28 mm steel wire. I have to hurry with this one, cause apart being busy with my son, we also have to move within a few months. We need more space!

Greetings, Nico
IlTeox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hello everybody!
I've rode the topic of the campaign and i thought that one model i'm finishing is fit to this.
First of all i have to say that i do modelling from some month and that this was not painted very well because i didn't have an airbrush till yesterday

I can't have a complete wip because i know this forum only from some day

So the plane: it is the Spirit of St Louis and on the bottom of the topic i'll post the picture of the original plane
With this plane Charles Lindbergh completed a long fly from U.S. to Paris, a trip that a lot of pilots dreamt and a lot of them died trying it. This all happened in 1927.

The box and the remains of the frame

Some pic of the plane

The original plane

I'm sorry for the multiple imprecisions and for the painting results but i'm improving my skills and with the new airbrush results are really better!

btw: thisis not finished lol i have to add the instrument over the roof of the plane and the door and a lot of other particulars

(sorry 4 my english )
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hello Matteo,

Welcome to this forum. Don not worry about your English. And what the hack, mine is far from perfect too.

I built this kit myself a year ago. I really enjoyed it. Only suggestion: I advise not to use the metal decal for the spinner, as to be seen on pictures the spinner is plain aluminium.

Greetings, Nico
IlTeox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:33 PM UTC
i didn't use it too for 2 reasons: the application was too hard and with those decals on it seems as a fake cover

ah btw nico, i've seen that the insructions of the Breda you are making are in italian (in the visible parts) so if you have problems translating feel free to ask me
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer,

But luckily there's plenty of info on it in English as well. And one of my best friends speak Italian fluently, so in case of problemo's he can help.

Bonguerno(?), Nico
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Here it is. But I am having a bit of a problem attaching it to the Campaign page at least the small version. Many many thanks to our brother in arms Jean-Luc for the design! Merci beau coup mon ami!

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
When is it available as a patch;-)

Look good!

Thanks, Nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC
What happened to King Kong?

Looks good. I would sew the patch on my leather flight jacket.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC
Great ribbon, Stephen.

I look forward to add it to my collection
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hello all! Just joined up so I'll decide & get started by this weekend!!
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hello,

I got mine finished. I be honest, it's not the best performance so far. The kit was fine, but I worked on it a bit too hastily. I wanted to get it done in time. As some know life is already busy (pleasant though!) at the moment but will even get more busier, cause we bought a new house yesterday. Which is good of course, but will takes lots and lots of time in the coming months.

Many greetings, Nico