Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Between the Wars Air Campaign
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:10 AM UTC
Very nice job, Nico!!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
Looks quite okay to me, Nico. Maybe you are a little hard on yourself. A good entry into the campaign IMO.

Happy holidays and congratulations with the new house
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
I may do a Seagull but I really want to find something in my stash that's 1/48 and military (so I can hang it in the local VFW with the other aircraft I've put up there). The kit is the old Hasegawa 1/72 and I should be able to do a -1 version which started delivery in '36 or so.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
I've decided to do the SM79 Series1 to go witht he earlier Focke Wulf FW44. I've made it as far as doing the basic interior paint, as well as everything else primered and sub-asemblies together. Not bad for one days effort! But of course things may slow down over the next few days.

Test fitting shows this to be a seemingly well fitting kit. So hopefually no big problems ahead.

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 04:27 PM UTC
And some more progress on the Hunchback. Not much to the interior, but not much will be seen either- even with the back door left open.

Fit is a bit tricky around the top gunners postion. But it has turned out ok, everywhere else so far the fit is quite good. I'd have like to see the top gunners position given in the open position- but it looks to be a complicated mechanism- in fact i can't see how the panels opened and stored away on the real thing.

Enjoying this kit a lot so far. Though one small critism of Italeri instruction sheets...do they have to be so huge? I mean they take up most of my work bench and need to folded up and unfolded all the time. I prefer my instruction sheets to at least be smaller than the Sydney Morning Herald

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:55 PM UTC
It's up to the primer stage.

Before primer

After primer

There's only a few fit issues with this one...mostly on the undersides around the insert for the gondola and wing to fuselage trailing edge. The good news is that it is all very flat surfaces and very easy to fill and sand.
The fit of the canopy was a concern and needed careful sanding at the edges to fit. Clear part fit issues are the scariest of all in my opinion. But this one turned out ok.

Almost time to start that camoflage scheme...

Andrew
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:44 AM UTC
I just cleared off my work desk and started on my entry. It will be the Accurate Miniatures F3F-2. I am doing the prepainting in between Bowl Games, and the build should be rather quick. No pictures yet, but I will probably have some early next year.

Happy New year to everybody.

CaptainA signing of until 2008.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just cleared off my work desk and started on my entry. It will be the Accurate Miniatures F3F-2. I am doing the prepainting in between Bowl Games, and the build should be rather quick. No pictures yet, but I will probably have some early next year.

Happy New year to everybody.

CaptainA signing of until 2008.

I just recently bought AM's F3F-1 version, what an excellent looking kit- especially the way they've done the cabane struts. Won't be doing it for this campaign though, but hope to build it sometime this year.

The SM79 progresses further despite being at work far too much over the New Year period (me that is, not the SM79).

The bottom

My first horrible attempt at the upper sand yellow I used Pollyscale Italian Camo yellow, but it's just way too bright! Anyway i've sworn off Pollyscale paints and relegated them to the same round filing cabinet as the few Xtracrylic paints i've used- they just don't work for me.

So back to my preffered no fuss Tamiya/Gunze paints for my second try at the sand yellow. Much better. And time for the green, i plan to use blue tack masking for the large yellow semi-sharp mottle.

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
Todays progress update...

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 01:28 AM UTC
Looks good, Andrew. The camouflage scheme is very distinctive and colourful.

Looking forward to see more
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:18 AM UTC

This photo was taken fromAn Illustrated Anatomy of the Worlds Fighters. An absolute must for any serious airplane modeler IMHO. The caption reads An F3F-2 of VF-6 "Fighting Six" which was deployed aboard the USS Enterprise late 1937.... The kit was Accurate Miniatures F3F-2. It is a unique kit with some rather inovative molding. The Cabane Struts are molded to the fuselage halves. The decal sheet gives you virtually all the numbers needed to make any of the F3F-2s in service. You will need to mask and paint your own belly bands and wing top cheverons, however. The kit went together about as well as any kit I have made. If i had to nit pick anything, it would be that the instrument panel and the decal of the gauges are slightly off. It was easy to remedy with a few extra decal gauges from the spares box.

The upper wing cheveron for this specific example is the same color as the wing. The fine black outlines are provided as decals.

The cockpit is very nice and simple. It does have all the details correct and well defined as far as my limited references show. It is unfortunate my camera does not do justice to this little gem.

The bracing wires are provided as PE. It is a little hard to use, but looks convincing when finished.

The decal below the cockpit is a shooting star and says Fighting Six. You need a microscope to read it though.

Looks just like the picture, doesn't it?

This completes my entry. Thanks for a very nice campaign. Coments and questions are welcome.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
The Hunchback is finished. This represents one of the intitial production batch that entered service in late '36 and were then sent to Spain where they performed extremely well. Of course it was developed from the civil fast mail/passenger and racing aircraft from the earlier 30's. For some good photos of SM79's and other Spanish Civil war aircraft check out this site http://usuarios.lycos.es/mrodval/GC46501.HTM.

The series 1 was powered by Alfa Romeo engines which were replaced by much more powerful engines in the series 2 that was more common during WW2.

The kit itself is great to build, though i'm not sure if Italerie actually made any changes to truly represent a Series1 type or if it's just really a reboxed Series2. I think the only real visible difference being the engines anyway.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
Wow! Seems I have a bit of catching up to do! I have just been released from my other duties with the Early Bird Aviation Contest and the VVS Air Campaign already done I have enough time to do my entry. Now where did I put that Aurora model of King Kong?
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
Well its time for me to throw my hat into the ring.
Im going with a BF-109A in 1/32, somthing different.
Ill post photos of the build, and yes I know an A model?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
Wow!! Andrew and Carl, great builds! Very colourful, but in very different ways. Fantastic entries from you both!

I will only join with the Bf 109 E in legion Condor markings. I have already finished and posted pictures of that some time ago. The LHS did not get the Eduard Fokker D.VII Dual combo I was hoping for, so this build is postponed. It will still happen at some time since I have a big decal sheet with post WWI Fokker markings, but not in time for this campaign.

Todd, what kit is your 1/32 109A? I do not remember ever seeing a kit of the A version in 1/32. That will be an interesting build to follow.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!! Andrew and Carl, great builds! Very colourful, but in very different ways. Fantastic entries from you both!

Hi all!

Same here! This Campaign is producing some cool looking models!

Jean-Luc
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:29 AM UTC
Well Fellas its Pretty Simple!
Its Hasegawa, and AM, the AM kit is from Meteor Productions and cost about 45.00 and then a Cockpit from Squadron.
Ill post pics as soon as it all comes in.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
hey all, I know I'm coming into this campaign a little late, so I'll have to hustle. I'm building a Ford Trimotor. Grandmother got it for me for Christmas, and this a good reason to build it now so I can give it back built! It's going to represent an airliner (haven't decided which one). Hope that will work for this campaign. Let me know if not, because I'll be home from school this weekend and i'll pick up something else. Have an F3F in 32nd that has had my eye for a while...

...I'll have an update if not tomorrow then some time early next week.
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
Well got my Cocpit for the BF-109A, now we can start this build.
Major surgery on the nose comming up.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey all, I know I'm coming into this campaign a little late, so I'll have to hustle. I'm building a Ford Trimotor. Grandmother got it for me for Christmas, and this a good reason to build it now so I can give it back built! It's going to represent an airliner (haven't decided which one). Hope that will work for this campaign. Let me know if not, because I'll be home from school this weekend and i'll pick up something else. Have an F3F in 32nd that has had my eye for a while...

...I'll have an update if not tomorrow then some time early next week.

Anything from 1919 -1938 will do just sign in on the Camapign title. Welcome to the build!
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
Well I started today on my build, it is a BF-109A used in the Condor Legion, Spain 1937.
The aircraft was flown by some of the best Aces of the Luftwaffe in WW2.
Im going to make this my first Blog, hope this doesnt take from this campaign.
I started with the old Hasegawa BF-109E in 1/32nd, and some A/M from Grand Phoenix.
As soon as I figure out how to do this I will post some Pics

lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
OK! I finally got a 1/48 kit for this. It's the Monogram TBD-1 and I also got a sheet for the chevrons off ebay. Nothing fancy for this build, since it will be hanging in the canteen (bar) area. Hopefully it will come in by the weekend so I can get started!!

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing that TBD. Yellow wing aircraft are always interesting to me.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
I'm in! I've decided to go for a classic "in between" aircraft - the Hawker Hart! I got my AZ model in 1/72 today. It looks very nice!

I'm going to build a Swedish B 4 version, anno 1937 (like the one in the middle)

And here is a picture;

First, I have to finish my JAS 39A Gripen for the Mark Sharpe modern campaign though... I'm getting a lot of time travel right now

Cheers! // PolarBear
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
I can't resist jumping into this campaign, even though there are only a few months left, as I have a P-26, a F3F, and a D.501 that all need building.

Someone's already done and F3F, and the D.501 is going to need a LOT of work, but the Academy P-26 might actually be simple enough to get done in time. I'll tentatively commit myself to that one.