Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Between the Wars Air Campaign
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 05:39 PM UTC
Almost there with this lovely little old kit.
The S6B is now sitting on its own legs ,,err,,,floats,,for the first time

Nige
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC
that's cool Nigel. That little plane has always interested me and you are doing an excellent job with it.

I am envious of your ability to get a project rolling and steadily progressing. I get distracted by other projects too easily.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

that's cool Nigel. That little plane has always interested me and you are doing an excellent job with it.

I am envious of your ability to get a project rolling and steadily progressing. I get distracted by other projects too easily.

Thanks Vance
Ive decided to leave the brass rods unpainted. I know its not going to please the rivet counters but I really like the look of the brass against the blue and silver. Almost gives the model an art deco feel.
More general mucking about with CA and brass rods and now a drying session before I go any further.
As for not getting distracted, I just like to concentrate on one kit at a time, and when it reaches the stage where most of the time is waiting for decals or washes to dry etc, I start something new and tinker with that in between.
One side of the "rigging" complete.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
Finished Entry
Here you go. Images have been uploaded in the gallery.
Airfix Supermarine S6B 1:72 scale.

And the real thing.

Thanks for a great campaign Stephen.
No way I was going to miss out on that fabulous looking ribbon.
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 04:24 AM UTC
Looks great, Nige

I think it is perfectly fine to use some artistic license and leave the brass rod unpainted.

Thanks for sharing
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Good work Nigel. I like the colors also.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:13 PM UTC
Everything fitted and painted silver. I'm going to use fishing line for rigging. I used stretched sprue for the bracing on the floats but I've not done it for years and ended up gagging on plastic fumes. I think I'll follow Nigel's lead and use brass rod in future. I'm not happy with the join at the wing root so I'll sand and fill and sand it a bit.
Any recommendations for masking the silver and painting it blue? I'm going to be brush painting it.
Here it is so far anyway.
supermarine sb-6
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
Everyone's entries look awesome, so I thought it would be about time if I moved on mine.

In case anyone forgot, here's the Curtiss P-1C, using the LF 1/72nd kit, I'm modeling:

I've finished up the cockpit finally, and here are images of the result:

Thankfully I had extra pieces from the Pro Resin series of P-types so I'm using their cockpit floor, control column, fixed seat and photoetch, but the rest is either scratchbuilt or pieces from other resin cockpits.

I "hired" Starfighter Decals to create decals for the scheme in the above photograph:

After SD printed them I noticed the serial provided was for a P-1B. Not a problem, since in the above photograph the serial can't be made out, so I just won't add a serial.

Now to paint the cockpit pieces, add the photoetch instruments and such, close up the fuselage and move forward.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Everything fitted and painted silver. I'm going to use fishing line for rigging. I used stretched sprue for the bracing on the floats but I've not done it for years and ended up gagging on plastic fumes. I think I'll follow Nigel's lead and use brass rod in future. I'm not happy with the join at the wing root so I'll sand and fill and sand it a bit.
Any recommendations for masking the silver and painting it blue? I'm going to be brush painting it.
Here it is so far anyway.
supermarine sb-6

Looks great JP.
Almost like a pewter replica at the moment.
I found it a lot easier to mask and paint the various sub assemblies before putting it all together. I used Tamiya tape to mask mine.
Nige
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thanks Nigel, I used a "deluxe" decorating masking tape but wasn't happy with it. I treated myself to 6mm tamiya tape. I used that for the floats and upper fuselage. Good heavens what a difference, it really is great stuff. I'll post a picture up of the progress. I've finished the polikarpov too. Looks really nice but I'd forgotten how fiddly decals are and had to bin some, just a red block on the rudder, so I was able to paint it. I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt.
Got a bit of a backlog forming now. a rs-model Do-17P and the new revell lancaster both in 1:72.
I only went in for masking tape and blue gloss.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:12 PM UTC
Rigging complete. Just the canopy and control surfaces to paint and fix

img_1253.jpg

You can see how much better tamiya tape works on the float than the decorator tape I used on the fuselage.

img_1256.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos it was pretty gloomy and the flash doesn't work too well close up. I'll get a table lamp to provide better light for final image.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC
Finished last night, I really enjoyed that. It's been an education reading up on the wealth of material and advice on modelling on the web. Quite pleased with the result, it could be better and if I was to do it again it would be. Think I've got the bug back.
Here are some pictures of the end result and the original.
s6bs6bs6b
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Nice job JP
Two S6B's and both 1:72 scale. A bit like busses,,,you never see one and then 2 turn up at once

Quoted Text

I really enjoyed that. It's been an education reading up on the wealth of material and advice on modelling on the web. Quite pleased with the result, it could be better and if I was to do it again it would be. Think I've got the bug back.

Yep,,thats how it begins,,, Dont try and fight it,,you wont win
So,,now you'll be looking for another project to research and build, and naturally it would be nice to get another campaign ribbon for your profile page as well.
Have a look at my
Aces High Campaign
Shameless plug
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 05:02 AM UTC
that's about exactly what happened for me getting back into modeling. I just thought I didn't have time in high school, and I kinda fought the urge to work on my kits (and used my messy model table as an excuse). But once I got started again at school I just can't stop!

Nige: I'll have you pleased to know I have 3 builds lined up for you campaign! I hope I can get them all done
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the words of encouragement, the top half is a bit messy as I was experimenting with masking but I feel I've got a method that works for me now. As for the next steps I've already started in the Twin spinner campaign. A RS models Do-17 with a splinter camo, which will improve my masking.
There is a hell of a lot more work with it than the tiny sb6. It's about the size of one of the Dornier's engines.

The campaign building is a good way of keeping my interest up. You get a wee banner too and face it, everyone loves stickers.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The campaign building is a good way of keeping my interest up. You get a wee banner too and face it, everyone loves stickers.

Too true about the stickers. I wonder if that is psychological conditioning from early childhood schooling....

For me, campaigns are valuable because it motivates me to actually start and finish a model in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, it tends to be literally years between the time I start and finish a kit. I have something like 25 hlaf to mostly built models, and I slowly get around to doing a little bit of work on each before getting ADD and moving on to work on one of the others for a bit or start a new kit.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:10 PM UTC
Greetings all;
Good progress on my Ryan NYP. Then a bit of a set back. The dogs ate my fuselage. Yeah I know it sounds bizzarre. But the little pigs with fur eat hearing aids and other sundry items too. So I cracked open the second kit I had bought ( they were a great price of 12.95 each) and am roughly where I had been before the laso & the silky decided on polystyrene for a midnight snack. I swear its true they ate or rather gnawed heavily on it. No really it did happen.. .really. No really!
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
I just got this 1/48 Wings vacuformed Corsair O2U-2 and found this campaign. I know time's short but I think I'll get it finished before the deadline. I've ordered some resin seats and an engine n things engine. along with some strut stock-the kit supplied resin cast struts are a bit rough to say the least. The first photos have the headrest in the back.I decided to do the marine Corps wheeled version so the headrest came off and a plastic filler was fabricated. The ring is the tip of the little case Aztek 4070 tips come in

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Greetings all here is a bit of fun from the lilole campaign leader, me. My first ever digital image that I took. (I am old fashioned and uptil today only ever used celluloid and a NikonF with a Macro lens). My first images of the build. This is the second fuselage. I added bezels and rudder cables so far.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:58 PM UTC
Greetings all;
Here a bit of fun. Though still not quite completed. Several bits ands pieces to be added.

For the he build click here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:57 PM UTC
Here are a couple of the other side.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Because the fuel cell was infront of the cockpit Mr. Hall decided to add a periscope that could be retracted behind the instrument Panel (IP.)

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Looks good, Stephen. A very detailed instrument panel.

Thanks for sharing
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC
Thanks Jesper!

Here are a couple more images. Note the extended periscope and the extra ribbing added to the belly of the fuselage.

The next two show the machined cowling decals to good effect. I just with the artist had overlapped the swirls instead of putting them side by side.

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hello Stephen, nice one!

I hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did.

Greetings, Nico