_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Between the Wars Air Campaign
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 02:03 PM UTC
Greetings all;
Here we are . . .in the room full of strangers, Standing in the dark where your eyes couldnt see me. . . I cant stay away. . .Blaming it all on the nights on Broadway . . .Singin them love songs. . . Ooops sorry just came from the modeling cafe a few doors down.

Here we are . . . proposing an Air Campaign for all you crazy cats and kitties. It all started out in the Early Aviation title for reasons that will become obvious to you shortly. The Between the Wars 1919-1938 Air Campaign

We will keep this simple. Now this will include prototypes and production machines.

1. No pulp novel fantasy birds.
2. If its real and was more than a hypothetical or more than just a set of schematics we'll go for it. From Lithuania to China, from the Kongo to Alaska, bipes, monoplanes, all metal, fabric wings, radials, to inlines, military, or civilian, from transports to mail carriers, from fighters to airliners.
3. All scales and as many as you can build.
4. BUT!!!! You have to produce an original photo image of your real bird. to post with the finished build. If you need help with posting an image I will volunteer my services.
5. We have eight people interested in this as is.

I propose it runs from November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008. We will go for a ribbon or a set of wings of course. If accepted stand by for the details.

Aeroscale Members signed up at this time (11/01/07) are;
JackFlash
MerlinV
BradCancian
Jesper
mbittner
CMOT70
CaptainA
Kitboy
Frigate
goldstandard
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
I have already started researching a little bit for my entry for this campaign. I am planning on a Swiss Fokker D. VII from the 1920s in white or yellow.

I have found two colour profiles and two pictures. Fokker No. 631 is obviously white, but what about Fokker no. 621? Is that yellow?

I do not have any markings for these Fokkers, but the swiss crosses can be masked and sprayed and the numbers can probably be salvaged from somewhere. Maybe there is also a decal set somewhere. I have not searched for a decal sheet yet, so time will tell.

Any help on pictures or info is appreciated

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
Jesper

Good to see you are finally climbing into an earlier period cockpit.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have already started researching a little bit for my entry for this campaign. I am planning on a Swiss Fokker D. VII from the 1920s in white or yellow. . .but what about Fokker no. 621? Is that yellow . . .Any help on pictures or info is appreciated

Greetings Jesper;

By this time in history Panchromatic film was in greater use. In panchromatic reds and blacks were notably different. Your image of Swiss Fokker D.VII was shot with this type of film. This means your overall colour of 621 was probably closer to a tan or light earth tone. While the cowling appears bare metal. Note also the extra side stringers and the effect of the fabric (not canvas) stretched over what appears to be a round obect also on the fuselage side.

Don't forget to sign up!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 05:14 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun found a couple of doors down at the Pre-flight Check title. Some great tips there.

Lindberg Goshawk
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 06:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, Stephen. I think you are right about the colour scheme. This weekend I received Blue Riders books with decals for Fokker D. VIIs in post WWI service. Very interesting with lots of very cool options. Now I am of to find some pictures of the originals.

BTW: when I go to the campaigns page I cannot see the campaign tread yet - possibly because it is not approved yet. I had to follow your link in the CAMPAIGN TREAD to sign up. Maybe others have to same problem and cannot find the place to sign up.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . . Now I am off to find some pictures of the originals.

BTW: when I go to the campaigns page I cannot see the campaign tread yet - possibly because it is not approved yet. I had to follow your link in the CAMPAIGN TREAD to sign up. Maybe others have to same problem and cannot find the place to sign up.

Post war Fokkers D.VII in print can be found in a few late issues of Cross & Cockade USA under the titles exofficio and expatriate aircraft. I'll look up the specifics later. Or there is a Fokker D.VII website owner by Hans Vosser. His original had so-many pop ups he had to relocate.
http://www.aerofile.info/
Basically a great site, but needs updating.

On the sign up once you hit the air campaign titles scroll down and on your left are the pending campaigns. Just click on the one your interested in.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 01:38 PM UTC
WE HAVE RECEIVED OUR ORDERS !!!

Welcome to the official thread for the Between the Wars Air Campaign!!!

The Campaign is a go. Our own Merlin has voluntereered to help us with a set of wings / ribbon. "Between the Wars" is on the rampage. Get out your references, light the oil lamps and tell the senior cook to set out some sandwiches and coffee. Stoke the poybelly stove and put Helldivers in the VHS. Now to decide what I am going to do. . . Maybe a Bristol F.2b Mk.III? Or a Fokker C.Ia?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
Good news - let the research begin
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 02:22 PM UTC
The Campaign Guru CRS (Chuck Stanley) has provided a kitmaker section to post our inprogress and finished builds on. You can use this as a host site for your entries and then copy them to the thread.
Post images here for storage.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Well, i've been undecided as to what to build for this. Initially i thought the Eduard Avia, but to be honest i really want to do that one in WW2 Slovak markings. So this is to be my project for this campaign. Will be starting as soon as the Gotha is finished...

Of course it only scrapes into the 1938 cutoff, the series one entering service early in 1937 in Spain. However it traces directly from it's fast mail/passenger and racing parents from earlier in the 30's. And is very much one of the significant aircraft of the era.

This is my exact aircraft 28.14 in action. I really like Italian camoflage.

A post WW1 Finnish Fokker DVII could also be on the cards for later.

Andrew
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
I am ready with my F3F. King Kong beware.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
Great choice, Andrew! I actually considered this one as well because of the cool camouflage.

I am still planning to go for the Fokker D.VII if I get it in time. My LHS promised it by mid. Oct, but now has moved that date to 20th Nov.
My backup is a ME 109D or ME 109E in service with Legion Condor in Spain. So I might end up giving air cover to Andrew's SM. 79

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hmm, actually not really my cup of tea...

but I have a Ju 160 somewhere in my stash, which would recieve Luft Hansa .. or Lufthansa markings (have to check when the change was made) .. would this be allowed in this campaign ...

best wishes

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
I have decided to go for the ME 109E in service with the Condor Legion. My aircraft will be the "6 O 119" ME 109E flown by Siebelt Reents in Spain in 1938.

Is this the official tread for posting build progress etc.? If that is the case maybe it should be made "sticky".
I plan to start my build during this week, so in progress pictures should be in this tread or in the "Early aviation" part of the forums?

These are pictures of my aircraft.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

I'll be aboard with this one:

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

you could also do the Rest Models He112 collecting dust in your shelf

I believe it, when I see it done ..

cheers

Steffen
P.S. I am very aware of the fact that I am guilty too ...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan

you could also do the Rest Models He112 collecting dust in your shelf

I believe it, when I see it done ..

cheers

Steffen
P.S. I am very aware of the fact that I am guilty too ...

Hi Steffen

Coincidentally, there'll be some exciting news on that front soon - but mum's the word right now!

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC
Work is progressing finely on my ME 109E from the Condor Legion in 1938. More to follow when construction is finished and painting begins.

mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 03:29 PM UTC
Here's an image of the P-1C I hope to finish:

I've started scratching the cockpit as the LF kit out of the box has detail that is way too soft and very indistinct. When I finish the port fuselage half (the starboard side is finished) I'll take some photos of it and post.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:48 PM UTC
Most interesting! Now what will I do? Maybe the Barling NBL 1?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe the Barling NBL 1?

A what?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:09 PM UTC
I've changed my mind again! I'm like an old woman. Well i actually still plan toget back to the SM79, but after the Gotha build i feel like something quick and not too involved. I was looking through the stash and found the Huma FW44 "Stieglitz" that my girlfriend brought back from Germany last time (she's German by the way). And it occured to me that it fits this campaign nicely

And just by coincidence the kit comes with the 1934 markings for this restored aircraft, D-2692. So it's my subject.

I'm not expecting any more changes of mind, but you never know.

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC
Looks cool, Andrew. It seems like a neat little model. What markeings and colours are you going to finish it in? The box art or as in the colour picture? It will be interesting to see more.

I have finished construction on my ME 109E. Next is the base coat and painting.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC
Basecoat is applied and the white recognition features added in form of white wing tips and white rudder. These have also been masked in preparation for the light blue undersurface coat (RLM 65).

_GOTOTOP