Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Between the Wars Air Campaign
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
My Devastator didn't get here this weekend But I did order a couple of references off Amazon for it! And I'm sure there are plenty of reviews/builds on the 'net for me to peruse to avoid any inherent pitfalls! Got a Sabre nearly half-way done for the "Vee", though so I've tried to stay busy! Hope everyone's had a nice & productive weekend!!
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Alright, well, i got started today on my Tri-Motor. Being that it's the first model I will have completed in a long time, I'm really just gonna take it easy on it. There is no interior, and I'm not goign to scratch one, although I have another one of these that I'll scratch an interior for admiral byrd's plane.

anyway, here's the pics of my boring but much needed first model in a while. I'll probably have it painted by the end of the week, schoolwork permitting. enjoy

I'm going to use the "Rapid Air Lines Inc" markings. That part about safe and sane flying is just humorous.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone's already done and F3F

Vance, Don't let my building this aircraft already, keep you from doing it again. That is not how these campaigns work. This kit was a wonderful, relatively quick build. If you want to build it, then build it.

It was such a pleasant build, I plan on getting two more of the same kit, for my stash, and future builds.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Someone's already done and F3F

Vance, Don't let my building this aircraft already, keep you from doing it again. That is not how these campaigns work. This kit was a wonderful, relatively quick build. If you want to build it, then build it.

It was such a pleasant build, I plan on getting two more of the same kit, for my stash, and future builds.

Thanks for the reassurance, but with three models to choose from, all of which I want to build, I figured I'd just rule one out for the sake of pleasing the aesthetic side of myself that likes to see diversity.

Besides, I only have a couple months, and that F3F kit is much more involved than the P-26!
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 06:04 PM UTC
welp, I got it painted today. I actually slept through my classes by accident (forgot to set my alarm), so I didn't have a lot of work to do.... except on my tri-motor! yeah.

the majority of the plane is MM Metalizer aluminum, but I did the nose with Tamiya, and for my first time using Tamiya, I REALLY like it. I will definitely continue using it.

I'll see if I can't get a clear on tomorrow and decals by friday. I guess this build is going a LOT quicker than I thought. Too bad I can't think of another plane I have from between the wars.... A B-18 would be fun.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC
Eric, good progress on your trimotor. A true classic.

Looking forward to see more
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC
This campaign is really starting to shape up. Great builds already and I have finally decided what I am going to build. Now to find the kit.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hold the presses!

I just found all the parts for a Classic Airframes Arado 68 tucked away in my Eduard p-39 box (for some reason I can't recall - maybe to cut down on the number of boxes for my last move?)

So the Arado is definitely my choice for this campaign.

whew! I am glad that is settled.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This campaign is really starting to shape up. Great builds already and I have finally decided what I am going to build. Now to find the kit.

Kit has been located!!! Whats more it is in route to me as I write this.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:48 AM UTC
Alright, it's done. Absolutely nothing special, but it got my wheels turning again, and now I know my next one will be a good one. regardless, it was a lot of fun to finally get a kit done. I just can't believe I did this in a week!

I don't think I had enough gloss down when I put the Decals on, so I'll remember that next time!

Don't I need to upload these pictures somewhere? along with a picture of the real plane?

Thanks for the fun campaign!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC
Here you go from page 1.

Quoted Text

The Campaign Guru CRS (Chuck Stanley) has provided a kitmaker section to post our inprogress and finished builds on. You can use this as a host site for your entries and then copy them to the thread.
Post images here for storage.

MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hells Bells, better get me skates on hadn't I.

I will be building the Kariya Supermarine Seamew in 1/72.

As some of you may be aware, I have a penchant for seaplanes.
The Supermarine aircraft of the 20's have a particular elegance that does something for me.

To Work!

Cheers,

Hugh
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hugh,
Now that project really looks interesting ! Please keep us advised on the progress of your build. Who's markings will it be in ?

Like a few of us, I've managed to change my mind several times on my own project. (Just need something different ! ) At present, really leaning towards an I-15 Chato in SCW markings....we'll see. Take it easy, Bruce
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Bruce,
I have decided that this will be as OOB as I can make it so this afternoon saw me spray the interior flat white, which will be washed and dry brushed.
The only addition that I have made thus far is some belts from lead foil.
I will post photos before I close up the fuselage.

Cheers,

Hugh
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
Morning Folks
Here is my progress so far, a Bf-109a in 1/32nd

Hope you all like!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 02:13 AM UTC
Eric, nice trimotor!

Hugh, this looks like a really interesting kit. please share your build in this tread.

Todd, a good start, looking forward to see more.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hello,

I did not announce this one, but it got finished last evening. I am going to move within a few weeks and had my doubts if I was able to finish it. So, this is my second entry. First a picture of the original aircraft:

And some pictures taken last evening of the finished model. I hope to do some more this weekend by daylight.

It's Fine Molds 1/48 scale Kawasaki KI 10 Perry. It was an excellent kit. Easiest biplane I did since a long time.

Cheers, Nico
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:09 PM UTC
that's a gorgeous looking plane Nico, nice build

I wish I had another kit so I could do a second, I have a whole month to blow by til the twin spinners....
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Nico,
That is lovely. and a very unusual subject to boot.

Cheers,

Hugh
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
I got busy on this kit last weekend (after a setback in another campaign!), so I will post the results now.

first, the kit I am doing: Classic Airframes1/48 Arado 68E/F (i'll be doing the F version). I am going to try to keep this an out of the box build (improving parts as needed)

And now for what I've accomplished so far....

The cockpit, ready for installation and installed:

After cutting out the left side cockpit door, adding a little extra sidewall detail, and fitting the resin radiator plug, the fuselage was glued together and cleaned up some. I also thinned the rudder considerably and then reshaped the fabric detail to match:

The F nose Needed to be removed, so I marked off the cut-line with masking tape:

Some quick work with my lovely Dremel tool and a file (I LOVE my Dremel!), and the E nose went on with minimal fuss (for a limited run kit - had to test fit a lot and shim some though):

Installing the top of the cowling was a bit of work too. A fair bit of work was required to get the best fit, and even that will require filling and sanding:

That's it for now. Hopefully I can keep the ball rolling on this one and be done in plenty of time for the deadline.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi all!

Nico, great looking "Perry". Do you plan to use some of the figures from the box for a little scene?

Vance, great start. Interesting subject as well. So you it won't be the camouflage of the box art. What will your Arado look like?

I still have to find someting for this Group Build myself...

Jean-Luc
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hello,

Thanks all for the compliments. I intend to use the included extra's for a little diorama, but that will have to wait after I have moved.

@Eric: please drop another entry, really liked the trimotor.

@ Vance: really nice entry. One of those I's like to do myself some day!

Cheers, Nico
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Eric: please drop another entry, really liked the trimotor.

I wish I could.... I don't go home for another couple weeks, and I only have about 6 or 7 planes here at school, NONE of which are even pre-WW2. I figured I'd just get research and parts together for my A-20G for Twin Spinners. I'm going to try and make it a MUCH more in depth build, such as actually doing an interior .

I gotta figure out who's plane I'm gonna build for aces high too........
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 08:44 AM UTC
@ Nico - nice work on your Perry BTW. I am envious of your use of orange (see below).

@ Jean-Luc: I am going to do markings for one of the schools - gray (RLM 63) with either the orange, green or blue upper fuselage. something along the lines of the following:

I'm hoping to find a concrete photographic reference for one with orange instead of blue though. I know the color for JG234 was orange (some say chrome yellow?) and that they operated the E model and He 51s, but I am not sure if they had Ar 68Fs or not. Ideally I would do a machine assigned to the 3. Staffel of that unit, as it would have the same white circle marking as the picture above.

Machines from JG135 (blue, pictured above) or JG137 (green) are acceptable backups though. I want it to be a colorful machine, but not in red.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Im in.
Ive a week between tours coming up and a model show with plenty of traders to attend this Sunday.
I havent got a clue what Im going to build or in what scale,,LOL.
If all goes to plan I'll buy it and build it in 7 days, but I'll more than likely be asking for an extension!
I have the Supermarine S6B and the Airfix Spitfire MkI in my stash but I fancy doing something colourfull and unusual.
Nige