Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Battle for Europe Approved
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi All,

A quick few in progress pics of my Tamiya Spitfire. Sorry for the poor uality of the pics but light in my workshop is awful and its raining outside. Interior is done, only the instrument panel needs painting. Donig that when he light improves as my eyes aren't up to small details in artificial light.

Fuselage sides painted and washed with artists oils. The light makes the wash look really heavy but its not really

Fuselage sides are joined, now just allowing to cure before tidying up. First look is that everything fits really well and shouldn't need too much work so hopefully this will be a quick and easy build.

More soon

Steve
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 02:35 AM UTC
Looks good, Steve. You are of to a flying start - perhaps you will be the first to finish

Looking forward to see more....
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
One question first: isn't this thread suppose to become a "sticky"?

Here is my entrance:

The coin in front of the kit was bought by my grandfather directly after the 2nd World War. It's the Dutch Lion destroying a Swastika.

I'm going to do Holland's main 1 engined fighter which was used against the invading Nazi's during may 1940. Although the Fokker DXXI was outdated at the time, it was able to do a good fight against most nazi machines. Mainly owing to it's high manouvrability and skilled airmen.

Again the box, inspiring book and decals of good quality for the kit. MPM's "orange" triangles are far too yellowish. It's going to be Fokker DXXI number 221 which I am going to do. A fine replica of a DXXI is exhibited at the Dutch Military Aircraft museum at Soeterberg. The actual 221 was flown in May 1940 by Lt. Doppenberg. On the 10th of may he shot down a Bf109, flown by Uffz Rudolf. He was taken out of his machine severely wounded and later died in Hospital. This aircraft flew other sorties during the next few days, made several ground attacks and is believed to be burnt by Dutch personel just after the armistice.

Bad MPM's decals!

I noticed another mistake by MPM. According to them the cockpitinterior should be Chromate. This is absolutely wrong. All Dutch aircraft of those days had light grey interiors!

That's it for now!

Cheers, Nico
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
Quick update on the Spitfire

Blimey, it looks like a plane! Main assembly all done, time for some paint I think. First will be a coat of Halfords white primer, then some pre-shading and then the main underside and camo colours will be done.

Top view

Underside, some small clean up needed on the wing roots, this was my fault slightly too much glue used.

More pictures soon I hope...

Comments and critque welcome/needed.

Steve
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
Your cocktailprickers are not aligned properly .

What can I say, it looks very very good so far!

Cheers, Nico
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
I've finally made a decision on what i'll build for this campaign. Initially i wanted to do the Revell FW200 Condor, but i'm starting to run into a dislpay space problem for the moment. So it's on hold until the situation is resolved.

Instead i decided to do an aircraft of the Winter War in Finland. It came down to a choice between the new SH Fokker D.XXI or the Roden Gladiator.

I've decided on the Gladiator as one of the aircraft of the Swedish Volunteer Squadron which shot down something like 10 aircraft during the conflict, fighting along side the Finnish Squadrons.

Will be starting on it very soon.

Andrew
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
Nice contribution and even more a nice kit. Built one of 'm (Sea Gladiator version).

Cheers, Nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
I am back in town after a ten day AWOL period. I still don't know what I am going to build. I really am looking forward to getting back to the work bench.

Great start Steve.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC
I have scouted the stash closet in an effort to decide what to build for this campaign. What caught my eye was a 1/32 Trumpeter Me 262. It looks like a great kit, I have plenty of resources, and I am ready to get it started after I clear the workbench.

Isn't life good for modelers?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
I have so much that works for this campaign, so cannot decide. I have a couple of other builds to finish and then I will start on this one.

BTW, could one of the administrators make this tread "sticky" as the official campaign tread?

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC
I think i've settled on a B-25J for this campaign, NMF finish - if thats OK

Andy
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC
72nd Scale usually does not insprie me much to do much effort on the interior. So it's basically OOB:

Cheers, Nico
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC
The Swedish Winter War Gladiator is coming along. One first for me with this kit is Rodens use of a clear instrument panel with reverse printed decals behind. I doubted if it would work, but they made the panel thin enough, where the intrument bezels are, and clear enough that it looks surprisingly effective. Hard to photo it though.

Everyhting is as assembled as possible, waiting for the fuselage to go together to progress now. Nice kit, tight fitting like all Roden kits, but surface texture is first class- Rodens strong point in my opinion. Problem will be getting the top wing well aligned and using the decals which from the instrument decals i already know these are totally unresponsive to setting solution and will want to silver for sure.

But overall these Gladiator kits are a bargain for the price they can be found for. If contemplating one of the series then get this one , as it contains all the parts for the Mk I and Mk II, Sea Gladiator, plus extra sprues for skis and the little differences for the Swedish J-8. Plus it comes with decals for 3 Swedish J-8A's, 2 Finnish Mk II's and two Commonwealth Mk II's. Just as long as you know how to get Roden decals to work.

Andrew

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
I like the Fokker Nico, i came very close to doing the new Special Hobby 1/48 Finnish version for this campaign. Maybe i'll do it later this year still. I like the aircraft a lot for some reason.

Andrew

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
I Like it a lot as well, but probably for more obvious reasons. I am also waiting for the 48 scale coming out in Dutch version. I already got a built Classic Airframe one, but the new release and my improved building qualities will turm it into a far better model.

About the Gladiator: in my opinion the kit lacked detail parts behind the pilot. A gap is very obvious into the back of the fuselage. Little plastic card may do wonders.

Cheers, Nico
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
I am having a hard time figuring out what in my stash needs to be built for this campaign.

the options are too many to list really.

oh well, it'll be a month before i have time anyway, so i have a while to figure it out.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:54 PM UTC
I will build the Fujimi FW 190 D9. It is a very old kit, which can even be build in a motorised version (which I will not do!).
The kit is quite basic and not entirely accurate according to the drawings in the Kagero publication on the FW 190 D, but I think it will be a fun that will hopefully look good when finished.

I have not decided on a scheme yet and the kit is not much help. Although a quite big decal sheet is included, no instructions what so ever shows anything about the versions to be build.
Going through my colour plates in various books, I have identified "black 4" and "White 15". The black letters are obviously from some aircraft just being delivered from the factory.
However, "Red 2" and all the strange letters (L, T, F, K) have eluded my identification. I have also not managed to find any pictures or colour plates of any FW 190 Ds with any of the geschwader/staffel markings. Any help would be appreciated as it could add some extra colour to the build with extra markings unit markings.

More to follow.....

DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
I might join up with a spitfire Mk IX.

I was supposed to build that one for the Duel in the sky campaign, but dropped the ball on that one (my sincere apologies to Emroglan for that) due to studies... I am not sure I will be able to complete it in time.

In the end it might be an unintended kitbash (combining parts of several kits that I messed up).

Harm
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:19 PM UTC
Welcome onboard, Harm

Could one of the administrators please make this tread sticky as the official campaign tread.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
I am at the point now this build goes reasonably fast:

Even though MPM seems to want to be a mainstream kitmanufacturer, this kit has some short run features. Bad fit at some point, especially the wingroots.

The wings contain searchilghts. These simply are holes on which clear plastic parts need to be fit. I filled the holes with woodglue and painted 'm silver. When this dreid I added more wood glue to make a clear appaerance.

The rudder needed to be adjusted to fit the kit. In all it looks good though!

Cheers, Nico
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi everybody. I've signed up here too. I have got a Reggiane to fight through "when I flew with.." but then I have aimed for another Bf 109, so why not here. It will most likely be a K, but I haven't decided on whos yet.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 07:50 PM UTC
Looks good, Nico. I have a 1/48 version of this plane in my stash to build as a Danish version for the invasion of Denmark in 1940. It is interesting to follow your smaller build.

Tony, welcome to the European skies.

I have made a little progress on my FW 190 D9. The kit looks like a FW 190 D9, if one does not look too closely in the cockpit or in the wheel bays

The MGs in the cowling were not really present. There were some very shallow fairings for the MGs, but it was lacking realistic detail. I filed the fairings deeper and drilling holes to insert a pair of MGs. The result is much better after the minor corrections.

The only big problem so far is the propeller, which is too small. This is noticeable, but I do not know how to fix that. I am not capable of scratchbuilding a new propeller, so maybe I just have to live with the small one.

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC
hello Jesper,
have you checked squadron.com,they might have a propeller to fit your kit.or maybe some of the members have one you can have.
good luck,
cheers,
Bruce
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
I have gotten started on that Wonderful Trumpeter 1/32 Me 262. After two days, I have the fuel tanks glued together, the instrument panel glued together, and I have started on the engine. I will be adding the Big Ed PE made for this kit. The instrument panel looks great. I ordered some AM Decals. I am waiting for them to come in. But at my current slow pace, I don't think that will really matter much.

You all are putting me to shame by being so far ahead of me on your wonderful builds. Keep up the great work.

I will try to get a Frago put together for this after I take a nap.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC
WOW, I completely forgot this campaign started so soon, but I'm glad it did. I've been waiting to build my P-51C for a while now.

It's not too much special, kit wise. OOB and I finished the cockpit in about 45 minutes (closed up and everything).

Here's what I'm excited for. Ever since "The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends" Air show here in OH-(you say I-O), I've been itching to build a Tuskegee Mustang. I met a couple Tuskegee pilots and they were quite inspiring. The bird will go to my Aunt though who is a Mustang (only the plane) finatic.

sorry it's sideways, It's too late for me to worry about it....