Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Battle for Europe Approved
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
Well, the 262 is all done. I will let it dry and harden tonite, and shoot some pictures in the morming.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC
Little spit is coming on but I've not had much time.
Here are some crappy camera phone snaps
Couple of questions for the guys (or otherwise) here.

Any ideas as to how to detail raised panel lines? Drybrush them?

Also I've got a gloss coat on at the minute and some I've got some
vallejo flat to put on. But not having used it before should I dilute it? It looks very milky.

Airfix Spitfire 90% doneAirfix Spitfire 90% done
Airfix Spitfire 90% doneAirfix Spitfire 90% done
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC
Finally had the patience to get a little construction done on my spitfire arlier this week.

I hope to prime the interior tomorrow, and (start) painting the interior on Sunday, and perhaps continue construction by the end of next week.

Harm
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Well I have finally done some work on my entry, it is an ARII P-47 Razorback. It will be finished in Lt. Victor France's Miss Dallas a P47D-1-RE 42-7876 of the 334th FS in June 1943. This has been an enjoyable build so far, the only bad gaps are on the wings at the front.

Removed by original poster on 08/01/08 - 03:01:04 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 08/01/08 - 03:01:48 (GMT).
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 03:32 PM UTC
5th. try maybe I will not have to get out the hammer and threaten the laptop with it. Here goes again.

ROBERT
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 03:54 PM UTC
ARII 1/48 P-47 Razorback, maybe this will post.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 04:10 PM UTC

Success maybe, here are the other two views of the P-47 that I have started for this campaign. This will be the mount of Lt. Victor France's MISS DALLAS of the 334th. FS in 1943.

ROBERT

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
The trick with the hammer worked, Robert.

Looks good so far. I am looking forward to see it take on some paint.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC
I will agree with Jesper, it really is coming along great.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Wow,,some great looking builds everyone!
Ive often wondered how that Roden Gladiator would go together
Ok,now Ive done with my Aces entry Im onto this campaign.
Im working on 2 builds at the moment, which is a first for me.Either of them will be eligible for this campaign
The first is the little Tamiya Spit with an Aries detail set. The amount of dremelling Im having to do on that means my attention span is suffering so I needed something else to keep some sanity! Its a P-47,naturally, but Im not going to post any pictures until its finished as its a present for someone who occasionally visits the forums and I want it to be a surprise.
So,,whichever one gets done by the deadline will be my entry. Oct 31st might seem a long way off but Im only going to be home for about 21 days between now and then. I may need an extension
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 08:18 AM UTC
A present for me, Nige. You shouldn't have....

Seriously, Looking forward to see your builds - whichever one makes it into the campaign

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hello,

Well the Fokker DXXI is finished. It was a nice and relatively easy kit to build, no fitting problems. But MPM simply made life easy for them selves not to bother to include some parts. There should be some sort of braces at the elevators (got no idea what there name is), and some other small things are not included. This time I did not bother to scratch build some of these (sorry, summertime and the living is easy).

I used a Dutch Decalset for the markings. Unfortunately the White Mice and Pointed Shoes are far too big and the registration number far too small.

In the end it's an okay model, but I used it more or less as practice for the upcoming 48 scale version from Classis Airframe.

I took the nescessary steps to prevend silvering,....

Cheers, Nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:39 AM UTC
Good job Nico. Another completed mission.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi everybody. Just got back from four weeks of holiday so I have a lot of catching up to do. The got tired the last weekend though, so I got some quality time with my K-4.

The pit got a bit wide, so some of the side walls show. Should have tried a blue-tac fit first because the walls shouldn't have been assembled flush with the rear wall. I'm satisfied with the floor and the seat though.

The rest is primed and ready for painting. I just need to find out which lines are the split between body and wings, since the body was sky on the bottom and the wings light blue.

Hope that I can get the paint and weathering on without breaking the aileron balancers though. They seem to be my eternal curse.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 09:19 AM UTC
well, I would like to switch my Ju-88G-6 build over from the twin spinner campaign to this one, unless someone objects too stenously. I had intended that build to be for that campaign, but work just taken too much of my time so far this summer.

The problem is, I think started this build maybe a day and a half before the start of this campaign (maybe starting the cockpit on the night of friday, May 30th). I worked a lot on it thru the weekend, and by monday morning, June 2nd, it looked like this:

Now the start date for this campaign was June 1st, and i probably had the fuselage and basic wing halves together then, so I can certainly understand if anyone wants to say this built doesn't qualify for the rules of the campaign. However, I would very much like to use it for this campaign since i want the extra motivation to finish it instead of putting it aside to start another for this campaign.

Objections?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hello Nico

I have a question about the markings. Isn't the orange triangle a KNIL-MIL marking? .. just curious as I have little knowledge about Netherlands WW2 markings.

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
Great build, Nico. It looks really good. Very colourful markings and camouflage.

Thanks for participating
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

Well the Fokker DXXI is finished. It was a nice and relatively easy kit to build, no fitting problems. But MPM simply made life easy for them selves not to bother to include some parts. There should be some sort of braces at the elevators (got no idea what there name is), and some other small things are not included. This time I did not bother to scratch build some of these (sorry, summertime and the living is easy).

I used a Dutch Decalset for the markings. Unfortunately the White Mice and Pointed Shoes are far too big and the registration number far too small.

In the end it's an okay model, but I used it more or less as practice for the upcoming 48 scale version from Classis Airframe.

I took the nescessary steps to prevend silvering,....

Despite the decals silvering, looks nice. That's a subject you don't see everyday.
I've built one of MPMs 1:72 scale D.XXIs before, the III-series Finnish one. A nice little kit. Goes together quite well, but has some omissions and details to add, as you already pointed out.

I've had in mind to join this campaign for some time, as there's quite a lot of potential entries in my stash. Another Fokker D.XXI into this wouldn't hurt I suppose. I got Special Hobby's fresh 1:48 scale kit and the earlier 1:72 scale IV series twin wasp-powered one.
Being involved in three campaigns at the moment, I think I'll have to finish something before enlisting to another one.

Classic Airframes' Fokker D.XXI? I was almost scared until I noticed the word 'upcoming'. As I have the CA excuse for a kit in my stash, I was almost writing a warning about steering clear of it with the new kit around and CA's version coming up.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Some really good builds coming on. Eetu that Fokker is amazing. I am still plodding along with the Yak but I hit a major snag yesterday. The after market decals I intended using to indicate Louis Delfino's aircraft disintegrated as I tried to apply them leaving me with no option but to use the kit decals - which means I will have to strip and repaint the spinner as this is already painted in Normandie-Neimen colours

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC
Just look at all the beautiful builds. Makes a father proud.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Nico

I have a question about the markings. Isn't the orange triangle a KNIL-MIL marking? .. just curious as I have little knowledge about Netherlands WW2 markings.

cheers

Steffen

Hello Steffan,

The Orange Triangles were introduced in The Netherlands during the "Phoney War"period. A German DO 18 mistook the Dutch red white and blue roundels on a Fokker TVIIIW for English ones and shot it down. They landed beside the wrecked Fokker, picked the survived airmen out of the sea and returned them home safely.

After this incident the roundels were replaced by orange triangles.

Anyway these triangels were later used by the Dutch in the East Indies as well. During the Japanese invasion period some British airmen took these for Japanese roundels, so the triangels were replaced by Dutch Flags. Yep some pilots sure were trigger happy in those days...

About the kit: I found out I still got a Novo Blenheim MK 1 lying around. It's propellors suit the Fokker far better, so I am going to use 1 of these.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Cheers, Nico
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC
Many thanks Nico!

I still learn something every day

BTW as I forgot it to mention above: Very nice model

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:58 PM UTC
Looks very nice, Andrew. Sorry to hear about the decals. I am sure it will be a stunning model none the less.

Eetu, I have the 1/48 Fokker D.XXI in my stash with Finnish markings. It looks like a very cool kit although I have not started yet. I am building it in a Danish version for the occupation of Denmark campaign.