Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Battle for Europe Approved
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:08 AM UTC
To Amegan:
You should be congratulating Kitboy, not me, it's his build.
I was just answering to his post with a quote his post and removing the pics from the post (it makes some horribly long posts if all pics are included in quotings).

To Kitboy:
If there's suitable aftermarket decals around, I think the MPM 1:48 III-series Finnish Fokker D.XXI could be built as a Dutch example with minor modifications, if you're in a hurry.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my untrained eye, it looks like the biggest differences are:
- Smooth cowling (included in the kit)
- One additional MG in each wing
- Omission of one intake/cooling scoop in the front fuselage
- No fuselage window behind cockpit (solution: blend in and paint over the clear part supplied)

To be honest, I wouldn't be that surprised to see the CA's Dutch version being a simple reboxing the Special Hobby kit, a few extra parts (if we're lucky) and a new decal sheet as well as a notable increase to the price tag so typical with CA... (Think of the Ansons... I'm still hoping Special Hobby would release the early version with Finnish markings, with a reasonable price)

But talking of Fokkers, these are indeed good times, with Special Hobby releasing a Wasp-engined series IV D.XXI later on. Can't wait for that one to be released.

You might already know this, but I found this walkaround of a Dutch D.XXI in my bookmarks:
http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/fokkerxxi/fokkerxxi.htm
Btw, did you happen to use just that as reference for your build? It appears to be the same you built.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hello,

Main reason I built number 221, is that it shot down a BF109, not that it was the only one though! My main reference was this book:

http://www.dutchprofile.nl/profile.php?id=30

I hardly used the museum model, but I had a walk around it just a few monthes ago.

Cheers, Nico
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
Lots of nice things here now.

Nico: Nice Fokker. I just love clownish cammo that frankly enhances the view of the plane more than it hides it. The orangeries doesnt really blend either

Andrew: I like your Yak too. Hope the spinner turns our allright.

I have changed my subject too. I found a profile of a 109 K4 with even more different shades. It has probebly been through a little surgery and got rudder from a second plane and engine cowlings from a third. Me likey! Even the number suits me better. It's a lot easier to paint numbers without outline.

I have decided (to avoid the better knowledge of others) that the fuselage sides are the skyish-yellow "buff" colour, and will start spraying in 30 min, so now noone can stop me Muuuhaaahaaahaaa!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
Well since i did multiple models for the aces campaign i thought that maybe i better do another for this one too. Don't want to show favourtism!

It's the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit, built as an E-4 of Erwin Leykauf who was himself a model maker (both before and long after the war)...so probably a good bloke then.
It is the aircraft he flew to achieve ace status by the end of the Battle of Britain. It's actually my favourite scheme for Bf109's...i like the clean non mottled early 02/71/65 schemes. And the pic shows that this aircraft really did have that extremely high RLM65 demarcation line, even thought it does look a bit odd.
I freehanded the camo as the one pic i have shows that it wasn't perfectly applied sharp lines on the fuselage, and i assume the same for the wings.

Should be finished later this week i hope.

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hello Andrew

beautiful model!!

I am not a big fan of preshading (because I airbrush too thick layers) but yours look very nice. Colours look also very good in the photos.

cheers

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:41 PM UTC
Wow Andrew! That 109 is awesome! Love the colours on it.

Nice work mate.

Howard
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Excellent choice, Tony. I look forward to follow that one.

Excellent job on the Emil so far, Andrew. Looking forward to see more.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Andrew! That 109 is awesome! Love the colours on it.

I agree totally. Here however, is one that's a bit harder to love. I have to quote Ford Fairlane - Rock n' roll detective on this one. "Some play hard to get. I play hard to want".

It's a colourful choice however, but it's going to take some washes and weathering to get it to look like a warbird. Masking is, ehhm, fun...

I have to tend to the rudder too, but that will be tomorrow. Then it's time for masking markings and the numbers. Luckily the kit was cheap, and the decal sheet missing.

But frankly, looking at my cars and motorcycles, had I been a jagdflieger my mount would have looked like this hotch-potch.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hello Tony

Nice model!

The colours are pretty intensive ... but remembering how I upset Howard recently I will say no more.

I am curious how it looks when it is finished.

cheers

Steffen
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Tony the camo on your 109 is impressive, is that Tamiya masking tape and does it work as advertised

ROBERT
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
Back in about 72-74, I did a really colorful 109 F or G. The scheme was the normal scheme for that model, but the motteling was in a red-brown color. It was an Eastern Front Fall Scheme. I have never been able to find the profile for that one again. It was really nice. If I could find it, I would do it again.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:37 AM UTC
I know I said I wasnt going to post but..............
Heres a progress report on my entry,just to show Ive been busy
Hopefully my decals will arrive on Monday!
Im hoping to have this finished for a show the first weekend of Sept, and when its been photographed I'll be giving it away as a gift.
Next time I build a Razorback Im keeping it for myself!

No more progress reports until its in the hands of its new owner.
He occasionally visits the forums and I dont want to spoil the surprise

Nige
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
My apologies and congratulations to Kitboy, in a hurry I looked back to the first picture of the Fokker I could find on a post and checked the name. Oops.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi, and thanks for the comments.

The colours are intense, yes. And I guess I'll have to go a bit heavier on the weathering to blend the whole thing together.

Masking is done vith Tamiya tape. It works well with acrylics, but I have no idea about enamels. I haven't seen any creeping under though. I use a scalpel to cut the shapes, but have found out that you need a really hard survace to get bends nice and round. I tried a painted steel bench first, but the scalpel dug in to the paint, so now i use a piece of window glass. It's hadr to use on canopies though, because it's a bit too thick to really show the window frames through. Out of the seven glass panels on this, I had to do three twice.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 02:47 AM UTC
My second entry for this campaign done! A Battle of Britain Bf109E-4 of Erwin Leykauf, at that time with JG54 (not yet with Green Hearts on the sides). I like the JG54 clean no mottle style from this time, plus 02/71/65 is my favourite Luftwaffe colour scheme as well.

Whilst it's hard to tell from the bad quality pic of the a/c, i don't think the canopy head armour was fitted- so i left it off. This was quite common it seems, i believe many pilots hated the more restricted rear view it could cause. Anyway it was a quick fit or removal, so it could also be that it was fitted and removed depending on type of missions being done as well.
Some argue the rudder was white, but i don't agree. From the pic the rudder is definately much darker than the white of the crosses and i believe it to be yellow, which was much more common anyway.

Leykauf himself served out the entire war on the West Front it seems, finishing with 33 victories. After the war he went back to his hobby of model making. So he was a kindred spirit!. He became especially noted for his outstanding scratchbuilt 1/40 scale U-Boat models for museums.

It's the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit, good value at about $10 less than the Japanese boxing of the same plastic! Also the Revell kit comes with better decals for Marseille and Wick. The decals i used were Aeromaster. All paints Gunze in this case.

Andrew

AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:49 AM UTC
Great build Andrew. This campaign has produced spectacular stuff that 109 is a real beauty.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
Nice Build Andrew. My Yak is complete too although the only info I have on the aircraft is what is on the box . Yak-3 from GIAP in Poland, February 1945. I do like the Eduard kits!

I still feel like a learner here but I am enjoying the experience
I am going straight into another build as I have the kit and no-one is building anything like it. It is a 1/72 Halifax Mk1 Revell kit either as the boxed 76 Sqn machine based at Middleton St George (now Durham Tees Valley airport) or if I can find details of a 102 Sqn machine based at RAF Topcliffe (still exists). Hopefully the model will go to Topcliffe on completion.

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:43 PM UTC
Nigel: You got some nice shades on that Bolt. Is it preshaded with another colour or thicker layers of olive drab? It will definately get the right shabby look.

109-Andrew: I'm a sucker for 109's and you got a beautiful E there. They look more slick without mottling.

Yak-Andrew: I like your Yak too. The topside greys are sprayed freehand, right?
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thanks Tony, you're right the greys are sprayed freehand, I have only recently started to use an airbrush at all and I am still experimenting and learning. The pictures of Yaks I have seen appear to show sprayed camoflage without masking and a coat of gloss laquer applied over the top. The Halifax appears to have a hard edged paint job, but I still need to dig more
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC
Nige. I would keep that one and give the next one away

Andrew B. A really great looking Yellow nose.

Andrew E. It was worth the wait.

I am a little late to post, but in my defense, I did get to see Jack Nicklaus play. Wow. He could still beat the best of them.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC
Great job, Yak Andrew. Glad to see you got a very good result despite the repainting and decal problems.

Excellent build, 109 Andrew. Interesting story about hte ace gone model builder.

Thanks for participating, guys
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Carl.
This one has a nice story behind it which I'll share when its all done and in its new owners hands.
I got the main decals on it last night. Its always a nice moment when a model gains its identity.
Tony.
Its preshaded in black. The base colour is Tamiya Olive Drab faded with gradually lighter mixes of Olive Drab and yellow/green. The underside is done the same was using Neutral Grey and white.
Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Nigel. I hope I can wait until the Jug-Fest, but it has got a grip on me, kind of.
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:42 PM UTC
progress shot of my entry, Revell 1/48 B-17G.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
Nice interior on the B-17 Lapman, will be waiting for more updates.

ROBERT