Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Luftwaffe 1946
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:30 PM UTC
Wow, wonderful stuff Yalym and Daniel.

Rowan, I can see from that photo you've got a very steady hand. Looking forward to seeing it finished,

Mike.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WHATTA???? How did you menage to draw straight lines with the airbrush???? Please don't tell me it's skill, please please don't.....

Hi Yalım and Mike

I hadn't really thought about it, but thank you both very much! I guess following panel lines carefully is actually good practice for developing a steady hand. Set the air pressure reasonably low so you can get in close and spray a fine line. Then just take your time - you'll soon find you take it for granted.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, I think one way or another it's going to be spots on the Flitzer!

I've gone for WEM Colourcoats RLM 82 over a base of RLM 78/79. It should look quite fun with some tactical markings and when it's weathered a bit.

All the best

Rowan
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi all!

Wow, so many cool and unusual contraptions have been built here!

I have finally decided on what to build, and even started on my kit!

As there´s not so much time left, I needeed something easy, with reasonably few parts.
This kit seems to fill the bill perfectly!

It´s the AmTech Focke-Wulf Ta183 "Huckebein" in 1/48, reissued in a Tamiya-box, along with a little "kettenkraftrad"!

I´ll build the kit mostly OOB, but I decided to use the nose intake/front gear well and exhausts from Quickboost as the kit items are waaaay too shallow!

I have started the build, pics will follow soon!

Oh, and I´ll do a desert version!
What if H.J. Marseille had lived to recieve one of these?
The scheme will be the "standard" desert scheme of RLM 89 Sand w. splotches of RLM 70 green over RLM 78 Blue underside, white tailband and wingtips and yellow nose, numberd "Yellow 14".

Cheers!

Stefan

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
Wow very impressive camouflage scheme, Rowan. Looks very nice - something for the Sicilian theather in 1946.

Looking forward to see more
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 07:16 AM UTC
Rowan, wow, what great airbrush control. An excellent piece of workmanship there. I have found that painting spots, best works by turning down the pressure on the compressor of course, then not taking too long on each spot. Quickly shooting the spots seems to work better for me than anguishing over each camoflage spot. Russell
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC
Cheers Russell and Jesper

I think any credit must go to the Iwata TR-0 - it was only the second time I've used it and it really is wonderfully easy to control.

All the best

Rowan
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Its looks very nice your model Merlin, I like the camu
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
Here you can see the model finished,

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Daniel

Really nice! It's a great base you've built. Are you going to add a few figures at some point? It would really come to life.

All the best

Rowan
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Wow Daniel, really great work. I wish my bases were as good. Russell
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi,

@ Rowan: showing off that steady hand again with those mottled spots, wonderful stuff

@ Daniel: Fantastic presentation with the base, congratulations on the model too, it's really excellent.

Mike.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words. With the Tamiya Spit now well underway, I'll see if I can do a bit more to the Flitzer this week while subassemblies are drying. It'd be great to clear the decks of this one because something tells me more samples are incoming!

All the best

Rowan
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
Appologies to doubtingthomas, but i am also doing the Eduard Heinkel He 280 - though he is putting more work into his.

while mine is also sporting dressed up wheel wells, thinned trailing edges, and some minor cockpit additions, he is putting me to shame.

However, I will be doing the color scheme for V2, in boring gray...

the major component are on and most seems are cleaned up. I need to work on the areas where the engine nacelles meet the wing.

without further ado:

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi again

As promised, I've taken a break from my Spit to play with the Flitzer again. I sprayed some white tactical markings and hope to add the decals tomorrow:

With really just the canopy and nosewheel to sort out, plus a bit of weathering, there's a realistic chance I can finish by the deadline for a change!

All the best

Rowan
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:38 PM UTC
Wow, Rowan, that desert camoflage really looks great! You've done a great job with this one, in my scale too I think 1/72! Again, great work! Russell
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC
Gentlemen

I just stumbled onto this part of the forum and have been reading through all the Campaigns. This one has me most intrigued. I love all of the various different planes. I've been trying to find some but am having trouble. Can you guys point me in the right direction to find these unique models in 1/72?

Thanks in advance
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi Russell

Thanks for the kind words. I agree, I think the desert scheme definitely suits the Flitzer somehow. My one is Planet Models' 1:48 resin version, but Revell do (or did) a nice 1:72 kit.

@ Dirk - As above, Revell released a number of 1:72 Luft '46 kits a few years ago, and you might still be able to find them. If you look at the Planet Models section of our Reviews, you'll see a number of 1:72 kits, and if you look for more reviews by the author Peter Allen, there are some really unusual Luft '46 kits in that scale.

All the best

Rowan
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:38 AM UTC
Rowan - The Flitzer camouflague is looking spectacular. I only hope my airbrush chooses to have such a good day later today when I start trying to srpay my mottle!

Vance - I like your choice of subject matter!

I am (finally) at the paint shop stage for my Heinkle He280, but there were a few things that needed sorting first.
Here's some simple scratchbuild for the wing wheel bays:

But the big problem was the engines. The kit seems designed to use the HeS 8a engines, but I wanted a Jumo 004-powered version. The kit instructions imply NOT using parts C16 & C23 for the Jumo-004 to fair the engine nacelles into the wing, which results in a very un-aerodynamic butt join to the wing leading edge (left side of photo). I decided to use the fairings so it would look like the right side.

Having installed the fairings, here's the gap that had to be made up with lots of carving of the engine/wing attachment point - about 2-3mm had to be sanded off to get these parts to meet.

Hopefully my next post will have some paint on the kit, and you can see how the engines are faired in!
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell

Thanks for the kind words. I agree, I think the desert scheme definitely suits the Flitzer somehow. My one is Planet Models' 1:48 resin version, but Revell do (or did) a nice 1:72 kit.

@ Dirk - As above, Revell released a number of 1:72 Luft '46 kits a few years ago, and you might still be able to find them. If you look at the Planet Models section of our Reviews, you'll see a number of 1:72 kits, and if you look for more reviews by the author Peter Allen, there are some really unusual Luft '46 kits in that scale.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan. I'll do that
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi Vance and Tom

It's great to see 2 x He 280s - and lovely work on them both. It'll be fascinating to compare the prototype with a what-if scheme. I built the kit with HeS 8a engines years ago and, as I remember it, the cowlings still needed a bit of work to blend in smoothly - but nothing like as much as in the pics of the Jumo 004 here. I've got the Jumo-version in the Stash, so thanks for the heads-up on what to expect...

All the best

Rowan
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build, Hermon. An attractive bird with a interesting story despite the very limited active use. Great fit for the campaign

I have now finished my Triebvogel after great delays. I have included it in a diorama with Mistel combination I build some time ago. Sort of a Luftwaffe airfield Summer 1945 with point defence of Triebvogel while the mistel is readied for a mission.

Thanks for an interesting campaign

What a fantastic pair of unusual German aircraft. Simply fantastic
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC

Great builds everyone!! I'm in my new house, the model room is set up and it's crunch time for me. Here's a small update.

A lot of filling and sanding and painting ahead.

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I was able to finish up the trolley today.

Next I'll weather it a little while I work on the 262s.

Mark
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Lovely work on the trolley - it looks great with the extra wiring and hi-vis colours.

I'm afraid I'm not going to make the deadline. Although the Flitzer is decalled and all but finished, there's so much to do looking after my Mum who's just home from hospital, I simply haven't had a chance to get to my workbench in well over a week. The way things are going, realistically, I reckon on about a fortnight's time...

All the best

Rowan