Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
Mike,

Try this link

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/24561
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
Ok no worries - I've done an old Airfix 1/72 Super Mystere in IAF markings, so i'll get some pics of that done.
I also have the following to do all in 1/72, when I get round to it of course!
Airfix Meteor F8 (IAF)
Hobby Boss Mig 15
Academy F86F Sabre
Trumpeter EE Lightning
Academy B29A Superfortress Bock's Car
Minicraft B24 Liberator
Tamiya P51D Mustang

thanks
Mike
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hi All! Just joined the fray as I had this build going and actually going fair well and decided to see if there was a campaign to fit it in and............waalaa! here you be!
My entry is the 1/32 scale Academy kit of the French Neuport 17. Built out of the box but adding a scratch instrument panel as one is not included, although shown in the box art.
Can't be a bad campaign if it has a couple of fellow Scotch sippers and guys that like 'a nice red,domesticated,friendly,and always pleasant.' Since this is my first biplane in, oh...46 years I might need the Scotch sympathy if the kit winds up in an Ack-Ack induced crash diorama....
Cheers!
Rick
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hello Campaign gurus

do I have to post a picture in that gallery? My account is almost full and sadly posting picture in the campaing galleries takes space from my account. plus: the bird was already "foto-featured" on the front page ...

TIA

all the best

Steffen
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
IF I finish the Camel for Terri's campaign on time, I have an Eduard Mk22 Spitfire and some Alclad just waiting to be united. I'll sign up if I get the Camel finished but at this rate I am trying to do 1 model a month and it's not working
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
First coat of paint! Alclad Airframe aluminium. How 'bout that shine!

Some panels will be shaded very lightly, and then a swift run with a 6B led pencil.

Cheers! // PolarBear
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
Here's my entry, an Academy 1/72 P-51D; it's also the first time I have ever done a bird in a NMF. Had a little trouble with the wash that I applied, dont think I allowed enough time for the coats of future to dry properly before applying it. Anyway, its no where near as good as some of the other entries here, but it is a learning curve I'm on and I did have fun with it. Cheers,

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hey Nick, you might want to put the exhaust stack back in place on the starboard side, otherwise she won't ever make it back into the air !! Otherwise it looks good, as you said every kit is a learning curve.

Cheers, D
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:39 PM UTC
Bloody hell; nicely picked up Damien. Didnt even realise it was missing...
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hey Nick!

I like your Mustang and love your attitude! Metal paints are often very voulnerable and need special care. Keep up the good work!

Cheers! // Polarbear
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How 'bout that shine!

WOW! that's a darned fine looking NMF, Björn.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
Nick, good work there. You got the Academy decals to work. I had to use some after market decals to finish the same model kit! The older Academy decals are notoriously bad! They have supposedly improved them as of late though, don't know. Thought I would include a photo of the kit I did just as a comparison. Again, good work. Russell

ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
I saw the Aluminium Campaign and signed up. Hopefully I'll have a Hasegawa 1/72 B-26 Marauder done. Here are some in progress shots after the first color of Alclad was applied. Still have more colors and such to add.

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 07:29 PM UTC
Well the paint I ordered from Hong Kong finally arrived... And I have put aside my Tamiya Spitfire to complete the Shoki as I'm so close to finishing it...

I got 4 different shades of Metallic Silver and have been busy over the last week masking and spraying all the different panels for different shades... I hoping and trying to get this completed before New Years... we will see! I still have to fix up a couple of small areas... and then I will make a start on masking all the unit markings and Hinomaru's. The only decals I hoping to use are the B-29 kill markings on the side of the fuselage.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hey Dave, your NMF is superb !! This is turning into a real show-stopper mate, keep it up.

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC
Great work, David!

Personally, I've just started decorating the Christmas tree... ehhh... well, I've just started decorating the Mirage IIICJ (kind of same shape, is it not?)!

I've darkened a couple of panels and accentuated the panel lines with a soft (6B) led pencil. The aircraft looks a little more gritty (and less like it's been dipped in chrome) than before, which I kind of like. I'm going for a 1967 bird.

Even though the kit decals are ok, the IsraDecals' are even better and - as far as I can tell - more correct. I have not finally decided on which individual, but I'm leaning towards one from the 101 (First Fighter Squadron). It will go well with the Avia S-199 that I hope to build for the Bf 109 campaign!

Seasons Greetings to all!

Cheers!// PolarBear
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
I've had some time to add more Alclad colors and repaint the cowls. Note to self and others, Alclad over flat paint results in a pebble finish. Won't make that mistake again.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
Wow, Joe! We all learn by our mistakes! That is going to be a fine bird once it is finished!

I've decided on the squadron marking for my Mirage - it will be a bird from 101. Probably the #56 flown by Giora Epstein (showing his first Egytian kill mark in '67).

I've continued with the decals and tried to be careful. But hey! I put some Microsol on the decal by the intake before going to bed last night, let it rest over the night (without touching) and - I belive an elf has played me a prank during the night!

Help!!! What to do? The only method that I know of, is to slice the decal with a fresh X-acto blade and bathe the area with more Microsol, but how good will that be???

Does anyone here know of a better methood? All ideas are very welcome!! I'm afraid that this will call for a true Christmas Miracle (or Miragel?)!

Cheers // PolarBear
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
PolarBear, I think you are right. Slice the decal with an x acto knife and put some microl sol softening solution on it. That should help quite a bit. Russell
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
OK! Invasion stripes are on. I prefer to paint them on much like they were done back in '44 and have some variance of width. Decals are perfect and parallel and just don't look real to me. Still need some cleanup but moving along.

Finished cowl.

Here's the Photobucket album for more shots: http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/viperatl/HSGW%20%20B-26%20Marauder/

JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
Some great birds in here for sure; plenty of reference material for my future builds! cheers...

If its not too late, I have an old testors P51 I was going to start building alongside an old revell P51D. I was going to build the testors gears-up/flying setup, as the cockpit has zero details. Can I join in? My paint plan was to use ModelMaster metallic enamels for the main body, couple different shades in some panels, a "first" for me.
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some great birds in here for sure; plenty of reference material for my future builds! cheers...

If its not too late, I have an old testors P51 I was going to start building alongside an old revell P51D. I was going to build the testors gears-up/flying setup, as the cockpit has zero details. Can I join in? My paint plan was to use ModelMaster metallic enamels for the main body, couple different shades in some panels, a "first" for me.

Go to the campaign sign-in sheet and have at it!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
I was planning to do a PR Spitfire in overall aluminium, but I have now build that for the NATO campaign on Armorama instead. I will be building a ME 1101 for this campaign in overall aluminium striaght from the factory.

More to follow....
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
@ James: That's an amazing bird! I love metallic finishes and I love invasion stripes! You master them both!
@ Joe: You go, Joe!
@ Jesper: You go, Jesper!

Ps. Looks like our campaign leader is still AWOL. Anyone up for it? Please!!! We need someone to gather the troops and carry this campaign on the final stretch!

Cheers // PolarBear
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
back from a couple of days camping with the family... So I got back on the painting side of things! The way things are going I should be able to get this done by New Years...