Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Big Beautiful Bombers Campaign
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
hi guys was just wonderin would i be able to enter the campaign with a tornado dam busters special??

the tornado is a bomber aint it or can be??

tony
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi guys was just wonderin would i be able to enter the campaign with a tornado dam busters special??

the tornado is a bomber aint it or can be??

tony

According to the Campaign Rules: "No fighter bombers or multi role aircraft ..."

But then again, the strike version is different from the fighter version (nose and tail). Hmmm.
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 12:13 AM UTC
hi gary

i totally forgot the tornado is a multi role aircraft aswell i was reading the info on the front giving info bout the tornado being designed by england, germany and italy aimed at develing a bomber able to operate in TFR ( terrain following radar ) mode flying at low level over uneven terrain.

the tornado ids (interdictor/strike) would that 1 be okay or is it still multi role aircraft??

cheers tony
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi
I've never been in or seen what happens in one of these campaigns. Can someone tell me what go's on? Do you build something relevant and send in pics? If so, I have a 1/72 B25H and Nakajima B5N already built up and have the following 1/72 kits in the stash - Avro Lancaster (dambuster), Vickers Wellington X, Fairey Swordfish, Grumman TBF Avenger, Curtiss SBC2 Helldiver, Douglas Devastator, Boeing B17F 'Memphis Belle', Boeing B29A 'Bock's Car', Consolidated B24J Liberator, Junkers JU88A4, Junkers JU87G1 (if acceptable), Heinkel HEIIIH6 and for post war - Avro Vulcan and Sepecat Jaguar.
I also second the question regarding the Tornado GR1/GR4 and similar planes like the Jaguar. I know some of the post war planes have fighter versions and different strike/bomber versions - Mig23/Mig27 for example or do we just want strategic bombers like the Vulcan and B1B Lancer for example?

thanks
Mike
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
hi michael ( sorry if i spelt it rong i get em mixed up lol )

the idea of the campaigns is to have fun with the builds showing progress of the plane your building for the campaign starting january 1st 2010 up till december 31 2010 so no need to rush it just take your time have fun with it. post pictures everynow and again to show other modellers your scratchbuilding skills painting skills etc theyl praise model even ask for advice and theyll help its a great online community all helpfull give you links and information you need

but idea of the campaign

FUNNNN!!!!!

everyone else would agree dont you peeps??

tony
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I've never been in or seen what happens in one of these campaigns. Can someone tell me what go's on? Do you build something relevant and send in pics? If so, I have a 1/72 B25H and Nakajima B5N already built up and have the following 1/72 kits in the stash - Avro Lancaster (dambuster), Vickers Wellington X, Fairey Swordfish, Grumman TBF Avenger, Curtiss SBC2 Helldiver, Douglas Devastator, Boeing B17F 'Memphis Belle', Boeing B29A 'Bock's Car', Consolidated B24J Liberator, Junkers JU88A4, Junkers JU87G1 (if acceptable), Heinkel HEIIIH6 and for post war - Avro Vulcan and Sepecat Jaguar.
I also second the question regarding the Tornado GR1/GR4 and similar planes like the Jaguar. I know some of the post war planes have fighter versions and different strike/bomber versions - Mig23/Mig27 for example or do we just want strategic bombers like the Vulcan and B1B Lancer for example?

thanks
Mike

The idea is to build a kit that qualifies with the rules of the campaign. You can't start building until the campaign starts although some campaign leaders have allowed a kit that was started but where there wasn't much work done (like fitting the wings and fuselage together just to see how big it will be or to make swooping noises). Photos are uploaded into the Kitmaker photo gallery and links to them can be put into the messages here. In progress pictures can probably just be put into your own private gallery section but the final build picture must be put into the photo gallery that is specifically for the campaign. When the campaign ends, you get a campaign ribbon added to your profile.

As for the type of bomber, I don't know. The rules state no multi-role although that might mean where the bomber and fighter versions were the same airframe (P-47, P-51, F-16, F/A-18). The rules state that bombers were "usually multi-engine". I'm not sure if the leader is implying that kits must be multi-engined or if single-engines are allowed. For example, the MiG-27 was pretty much a dedicated strike version of the MiG-23 family (so it might count) but was single-engined (so it might not). The MiG-23 probably wouldn't as the same airframe is used for strike or fighter versions. I would think the Jaguar would count as it's strike and multi-engine. We need a ruling from the Campaign Leader as only the leader knows what they were aiming for.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
Well that gives me plenty of time - i'm going through my fighter collection at the moment and I have plenty to go at! Would love the rules clarified because some things are obvious as you say like the P47/P51 (as in not allowed) and not so obvious, like the Tornado GR1/4
thanks
Mike
Removed by original poster on 08/21/09 - 02:17:57 (GMT).
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC
Sorry for the late reply all, but I've been away since the 18th. No multi-role aircraft. Bombers, and bombers only. If the aircraft was designed to function as a bomber only it is fine. If it's a fighter that was later adapted for use as a bomber it is NOT FINE. The title pretty much says it all BIG BEAUTIFUL BOMBERS Think multi-engine such as the B-17, B29, Lancaster, B-52 etc. etc. etc. Thanks, "Q"
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:10 PM UTC
I'm in.
I think i'll go with the Revell 1:72 He177 Greif

Cheers
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:42 PM UTC
Howdy Matthew/ Red4-

I'm signed up, and plan on bringing a 1:48 Revell Dornier Do217E to the party! Been looking for an excuse to build this one for a while.

Now it's time to get some photos and decals!
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi there everyone.

I just signed up and am really looking forward to building something for it. I was thinking of my Dragon Mistel-2 S2 for it, fighter on top, big bad bomber on the bottom. Would this qualify? I have been looking for a reason to build it. If it doesn't qualify them possibly a nice Vietnam era THUD.

I can't wait.
Ted
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Ok!! already signed up, I will participate with a B-58 in 1/48, plenty of time, only need to buy the Monogram kit and find some good aftermarket decals and maybe a new bottle of metal foil adhesive. I only hope that the price of aluminum wouldn't go up in the trade market.

So, where is my check book?

Byron
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 04:07 PM UTC
I'm n for this ... I'm thinking the RoG Handley Page Heyford .... unless something else comes along to get my attention ... lol
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
I have just signed up and considering a 1/48 B17F or a B29 in the same scale.
tim
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
Gents,
My last campaign is finishing out (Carrier Aircraft), so with the time alloted this campaign looks good. I'm leaning towards the English Electric Canberra in 1/144, I assume there is no objection to this one is there ? A-Model is in the process of releasing quite a few different versions of the Canberra, so it could be an interesting build.

Looks like we'll have quite a few different types to choose from, and to enjoy the finished products. Take it easy........Bruce
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
I've checked the stash while having a clear out and I intend on doing the 1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster and converting it to MkII with the paragon conversion set.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hello all. Sorry I have been unresponsive as of late. I kind of put this campaign on the back burner as it didn't start for so long. I've been busy with school too, but that is finishing up soon. Looking forward to getting some time in at my bench as well. I have more selections than I can shake a stick at. Will probably go with something classic like a B-52, maybe even a B-47. Thanks for all the interest in the campaign. It should prove to be a good one. Looking forward to getting started. Thanks, "Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC
When the campaign starts and when it finishes??

Cheers Nick
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When the campaign starts and when it finishes??

Cheers Nick

everything you need to know about the campaign is on the big beautiful bombers campaign page
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 07:55 PM UTC
Ok thanks

Cheers Nick
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:09 AM UTC
I just bought Revells packaging of the Hasegawa Heinkel He 111. Im going to do version of Stab StG 3, from Derna airfield September 1941. Topside of RLM 79 and downside RLM 78.

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi,
I'm going to participate with this Big Bomber (Academy 1:72)

I was going to start this model after "Get the job done 2" on Armorama is finished so the start date of this campaign fits me great
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hello all. Hope this finds all of you doing well and getting ready for the Christmas season along with the kick off of another year and another great campaign. Pre-flight checks should have been made, but if not there is still time to decide on what you are going to build for the 3B comapaign. Looks like there are going to be some nice selections coming to our little thread and I am really looking forward to seeing what you folks are going to build. I have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment, which is my own fault, but I'm getting it sorted out and should be ready to go wheels up on 1 January. Again, as your campaign/flight lead I welcome you aboard and look forward to the coming year of model building! Merry Christmas all!! "Q"
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
This will be my subject:

Though with 3 campaigns starting on the 1st of 2010, this one probably won't be started until Febuary or so anyway. Should be a great campaign.

Andrew