Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Big Beautiful Bombers Campaign
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just bought Revells packaging of the Hasegawa Heinkel He 111. Im going to do version of Stab StG 3, from Derna airfield September 1941. Topside of RLM 79 and downside RLM 78.

Thanks Tuomas, i've always wondered whether this kit was the Hasegawa one or an ex Italeri kit (or even Matchtbox!). As a Hasegawa kit it is good value then.

Andrew
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As a Hasegawa kit it is good value then.

Andrew

Yeah, it's really a nice kit for 20 euros.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
howdy...

I thought I'd join in as I have something in the stash I'd like to build that fits this one...

The Arado Ar 234C-3/4 Blitz

this kit can be either a bomber or recon bird.. out of curiousity is the recon version eligable for the build...

Delbert
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
Signed up dont know what I will build yet maybe B-17

Build On,
Justin
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hello Matthew!

I was wondering if you would be posting a compiled list of all the participants and the aircraft being built since there are so many in this build. I am NOT requesting that you do that. I was thinking it might be nice to see all of the aircraft that are being built and how many of each kind are being built in one post.

I hope everyone that celebrates Christmas got what they wanted from Santa!!
Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hmm...this could be just the kick in the pants that I need to blow the dust off that 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster box and prise off the lid, or perhaps the 1/32 Revell Mosquito, or perhaps just say 'eenie meenie minie moe' and settle on one of the many dozens of bomber types languishing in the 1/72 stash...my goodness, what a difficult choice! When I was a boy I used to dream of having a room full of shelves crammed with kits. Forty-five-odd years later, I've got one and now spend my time just looking at it all and dreaming...much like I did then!

Still, those boyhood dreams were based on my ability to build a model over the course of a couple of evenings. Now it takes months!

Okay, I'll discount 1/72 and decide between the Lanc and the Mossie. After all, a whole year should be plenty of time! Now which one will it be?
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:50 PM UTC
I'm ready to roll

Cheers Nick
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm ready to roll

Cheers Nick

Hi Nick,
Whats in the CMK box? Interior?
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:21 AM UTC
Yes, It's the interior & also the machine guns

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
Alrighty bomber builders, just a few hours until lift off. I will be joining the formation late as I have a 2 week vacation in Italy beginning 2 January. I will rejoin the formation sometime mid January provided I don't decide to stay longer....although I doubt SWMBO will like that as I am flying solo on this trip.. lol. Prepare your mounts for take off and remember....have fun! See you all in a couple of weeks. Your lead..."Q"
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
I think I will build monograms 1/48 B-1B lancer.had one when i was kid thought it could fly....
lets just say it didn't.... Ill be joining soon as i also have two other campaigns starting at the same time.

Build On,
Justin
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
Alrighty bomber builders, you have the green light. GO!! See you in a couple weeks. "Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
I think that I'll start it in a couple of monts

I have a Bristol F.2b on my bench

Cheers Nick
Cannon99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC

Well, with a year I should be able to find time to build this one. I'm building the Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington Mk. III with the Eduard Big Ed package to add some further detail.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Having made a start on ICM's 1:72 scale Tupolev SB-2, I noticed I haven't signed up yet. Well that's fixed now.

Not much progress to show yet, I've been mostly just cutting parts from the sprues and cleaning them up.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hope Im not too late to join in I will be doing Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito B.MK IV
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
Here's my offerings for the campaign ... hopefully I can get both done in time
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:34 AM UTC
Well I managed to get the first coat of green on all the interior parts will probably need a second coat tomorrow then I can start painting in the details and getting things together
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
After a so-nice-and-soothing day of re-installing windows XP and quite a bunch of programs, updating the OS, setting up the firewall, virus protection and what have you, I don't have any progress from today to show ("...all the dude ever wanted was to print some reference photos and work on his SB-2...").

Well, instead of that, here's what I been doing so far. That's in addition to clipping parts from the sprues. You know, gluing parts together and stuff...

Despite being made from six parts, the bomb bay/wing spar/bulkhead assembly fit together surprisingly well and aligned nicely when trapped inside the middle fuselage halves to dry.

The engine cowlings followed the same trend, being made from five parts each. They fit together quite well too, but in retropective, I should have dryfitted the parts some more, as I ended up with a slight gap between the front piece and the sides.

A few of the delicate struts and the like were unfortunately broken in my sample, like this main landing gear support:

I'll try carefully gluing them back together while still on the sprue. If they break again, I'll have to resort to thin styrene rod or wire.

Hmm.... while I'm now dabbling with bombers, I think I should finally finish that Blenheim of mine as well... Not as an entry of course, since it has already been late for one campaign (the Twin Spinners), but on the side as I'm in the mood.

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi guys, While I've been a member of this forum for about a year or so I've never posted any of my work here. I've done GBs before but this one seems a bit different with the sign-up and all. I apologize in advance for any thing non-conformance.

My contribution to this GB will be the B-17E "Old 666" of the 43rd Bomb Group which was assigned to the Pacific theater. To build this I will be using and modifying the Academy 1/72 B-17E "RAF Coastal Command" as the base. For the most part this will be an OOB build. I have a tendency to say things will be OOB but then out comes the knife and styrene. Also keep in mind I'm relatively new to the hobby. Since returning I have completed a whopping 5 birds. This will be my first bomber.

As long as there are no objections I will begin posting soon.

Regards

Dirk
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Welcome to the campaign, Dirk! Although I am not the campaign leader, it is safe to say your build qualify for this campaign. The B-17 is the icon of the big bombers in my book.

Is your name really Dirk Pitt - like in the Clive Cussler books?
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is your name really Dirk Pitt - like in the Clive Cussler books?

Thanks for the welcome Jesper, Yes my name is Dirk Pitt. My naming was well before Clive introduced us to the legendary Dirk Pitt. Of course I've had no choice but to become a huge fan of his exploits.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
Cool. That is priceless. I am also a quite big fan of his work.

Back on topic. It will be interesting to follow your build. Looking forward to see some plastic.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 07:17 AM UTC
Ok, I finally had some time to put some paint to the plastic. I started by painting all of the appropriate parts and features with Model Master Interior Green.

The green came out nice but a little too "pure" for an old bomber like "Old 666" which was destined for the scrap heap before Jay Zeamer and his band of misfits came by. So I made a little bit of wash with some black Oil paint and thinner.

I placed this clean piece next to the others so you can see the difference between the washed and non-washed parts.

Here are the before and after shots of the fuselage. The photos make it look darker then it really is.

This one is a bit better

Here we see the office of Captain Jay Zeamer and 2nd Lieutenant John T. Britton

Here we see the office of bombardier Joe Sarnoski and navigator 2nd Lieutenant Ruby Johnston.

I combined a little Burnt Umber oil paint and a some thinner and made a wash. Its not perfect by any means but it should look ok when seen through the nose and cockpit windows.

By the time I got to the end of this I had to go make an adjustment. I went over the floor and table in the Navigators section with some brown to make them both a little darker.

That's all for now
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hello everyone. I am still relatively new to this site and was curious how you join a campaign. I was just getting ready to start my b-1b 1/48 revell which I hope falls under the guidelines. I have never participated in a campaign on here, I would like to though.