Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
..nice looking kit there D, must get a few of those Hasegawa 109s. Meanwhile back in 72nd scale, although there are perhaps one or two things still to do (aerial, stencil decals, flat coat) this Academy Bf109G-6 is finished. Scheme is Heinrich Bartels, IV./JG 27 (Kagero decals). I hadn't realised these were so small in 72nd scale - the spinner spiral I found impossible to mask, so did it freehand

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
wow - excellent work with the 72nd scale there - esp the freehand spiral! crazy that doing it freehand was easier...
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Academy 1/48th Bf109E-3 Heinz Bar

The kit comes with decals of the camo for the wings and fuselage.

WTF?!? I've never heard of that before!
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
got the main color sprayed on this weekend, the pilot painted and the canopy attached. Painted and weatherd the Supercharger, added a throttle bracket and "butterfly" to the intake from old PE.
Made a new tail wheel as well, finished the spinner and painted the prop.

phew
pics to come
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC
But you forgot to change the oil, check the air filter, empty the ashtrays, put the seat tray into the upright position, fluff the pillows, peel the banana tail wheel, gap the points and reupholster the pilots recliner.....

Oh, and did you scrub the white walls on your main wheels?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:18 AM UTC
Great job Neil on the 109. Especially the freehand of the spiral on the spinner, I have got to agree there, that is good work indeed. Like the finished product. Russell
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
Really cool Neil. Where did you get the sunshine? That's an effect I've not seen up here in the gloamin.

Here is my progress, I did vary the paint colour on the upper surface but it didn't come out in the photo so I lightened panels further. Not sure if I like this more exaggerated effect but it photos better for sure.
Now the wingtips and exhaust area to mask and paint. Tricky but it'll look great if I can pull it off.

Legion condor 109e tamiya 1/72Legion condor 109e tamiya 1/72

Before and after extra lightening of panels
Legion Condor 109e Tamiya 1/72Legion condor 109e tamiya 1/72

I left the seam on the rear of the fuselage as 109s seem to have a seam here (at least some types) should I remove it?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 12:29 PM UTC
@ Scott: will you use the decals, and if so let me know how they come out.

@ Neil: what Vance said.

@ Damian: nice assembly line going there.

@ JP: will a wash tone the seam down? Nice build so far.

Bob
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
OK,

How are you folks still uploading photos? The Kitmaker gallery function has been off line all day.

Cheers,
Fred
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:06 PM UTC
I would think they are using outside locations to hold the photos.... same procedure only in the img field you put the url to the outside location.... I did that with my early stuff in this campaign...

Bob
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi and welcome to the GB Scott . This will be an interesting build seeing the use of the camo decals and how well they work . I have heard all the horror stories on Academy decals , are they done by Academy ?

Daian , nice to see some progress from your bench and it's shaping up very nicely so far . Hopefully your seatbelts will show up soon so you can contiune on .

Neil , excellent job done on your 109 , hand paint the white on the spinner turned out really great ! And in 72 scale

Jaypee , you are off to a great start on your build . I haven't tried fading with the airbrush before but your effect looks good .

I have final started my build , resin parts are cleaned up and test fitted with the fuselage some sanding is needed . The resin set is for the Tamiya kit but over all the fit is really good . I will have to use the kit seat , don't know what happened to the resin one . Once I get the cockpit painted up I'll post some pic's .
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:37 PM UTC
Ok, I just ordered an Airfix 1/48 Bf 109F from Squadron for USD $11.60 and hopefully it will get here with enough time to finish for this campaign. So far I have seen many great builds and I can pick up some hints from your efforts.

Bob
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I just ordered an Airfix 1/48 Bf 109F from Squadron for USD $11.60 and hopefully it will get here with enough time to finish for this campaign. So far I have seen many great builds and I can pick up some hints from your efforts.

Bob

Robert! I saw your earlier question too late to answer: the Airfix 1/48 109F is still a nice kit 30+ years on. I did one many years ago and from what I remember it didn't have any major issues!

Magnus
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC

Thanks guys - it was quite a thrill to finish this tiny (!) model and get some nice comments for it - appreciated !

@J-P - nice effect, I tried something like this on my Gustav, but my effort was a bit half-hearted

@ Robert - you got a bargain for only $11 ! I only live 15 miles from the Aifix 'factory' and the kit is that price in £ sterling (ie $17) although I don't think its currently in production. (Airfix issue a brand new Bf109 Emil with multiple parts & decal options this month)

Here's a look at an Airfix Friedrich that I started a while ago so couldn't include in this campaign. Not a bad kit - despite the not-very-well defined panel lines and soft detail in some areas. I had originally painted it in a standard 74/75/76 scheme but having picked it up again last week when spraying the Academy Gustav I decided to re-spray it as JG 54 Barbarossa machine. I've scribed out the slats/flaps/ailerons and cut off the rudder and re-positioned the tail surfaces. Cockpit is nicely engraved - all I've done here is add some belts. Decals are rubbish - you'll definitely need some aftermarket - as here.

Photobucket.
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC

The problem with going to the Blitz-Kaufer with Colonel Klink is that he always wants to ride the airplane out in front........ so you have to bring lots of 25 pfennig pieces with you for the machine, and he never pays you back either!

As you can see, his aircraft is coming along..... I added the radio compartment door and built an new air scoop for the engine. Will cut the brass tubes that go into the plaque off when I have the ground level in place....

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Thank you Magnus and Neil for the information, it helps.

Bob
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
great work by everyone so far!
I will try to get some pics uploaded tonight
Satch_ip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
To all that inquired, no, I'll be painting the camo on the 109. I do have the 1/72 scale version of the same kit. I might take it to NY with me and work on it there and consequently use the decals.

They are not Academy but Cartograph, an Italian co I think.

Terri, are you a Flame or an Oiler? Go Leafs for me!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Is an Avia S.199, being a re-engined 109, acceptable for this campaign?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To all that inquired, no, I'll be painting the camo on the 109. I do have the 1/72 scale version of the same kit. I might take it to NY with me and work on it there and consequently use the decals.

They are not Academy but Cartograph, an Italian co I think.

Terri, are you a Flame or an Oiler? Go Leafs for me!

To be honest with you . I'm really not much of a hockey fan , only when it is the playoffs , this is when you see some really good hockey being played . So you are a Toronto Maple Leafs fan ?
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC

Went back and re-sprayed the wings on my build after discovering this photo ! not quite right yet ..but better

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well it is 109 even if it is re-engined . Much like a Fieseler and Skoda FiSK 199 which was base on the G model . Wouldn't be fair if I allowed that version and not the Avia S.199 . So go for Vance !

What do you have in mind for your build ?

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm getting underway. I've assembled the wings and started to plan the cockpit. The SBS Model upgrade is going to be a real treat compared with the standard kit parts:

More to follow as I make progress.

All the best

Rowan
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Rowan, the SBS upgrade really looks nice WOW! Is that in 1/48 I did not catch the kit or model you are building I will be watching the progress.

Bob
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well it is 109 even if it is re-engined . Much like a Fieseler and Skoda FiSK 199 which was base on the G model . Wouldn't be fair if I allowed that version and not the Avia S.199 . So go for Vance !

What do you have in mind for your build ?

I was going to one of the Czech versions with the bulged hood rather than the more commonly modeled Israeli ones. (from the Academy 1/48 scale kit)