Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Made in Italy
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc, thanks for the kind words on the G50 camo. It is very close to one of the options in the box but as I said it was my first attempt at free-hand with the airbrush so "close" will do. Your builds are looking fantastic !! It's always great to see an OOB alongside one with some after market goodies side-by-side during the build for comparison.

Cheers, D
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi all,

A short update with some painting done on the undersides...

Next I'll do the uppersides.

Jean-Luc
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi all,

Here is my entry for this campaign, Italeri's Caproni Ca-311

I finish it in Tamiya dark yellow, and the camouflage is tamiya olive green. I also post-shade using a over-spray of thinned tamiya red brown, hoping to reproduce the shade of Italian camo yellow, giallo mimetico.

Yeah the masking was a nightmare... why oh why does it has so many windows?!?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi all, a little progress this week between Chrissy shopping and tying up loose ends at work.

Decals on top and bottom, a bit of a fight with the old DESTRUCTO-DECALS that disintegrated when I touched them, but once again patience and half a litre of Mr Mark Setter and they submitted.

Just a flat coat to protect the markings, a light wash and add the wheels and guns and other bits'n'bobs and I'll call this DONE !!

Cheers all and have a GREAT Christmas !!
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
Some progress on my G.50, I just painted the so called "revenge stripes". I had to use white primer on the yellow areas instead of gray because of better coverage and that is the reason for the funny looking surfaces. Next to light grey undersides.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi all,

It seems we are going to have a nice little Italian WWII airforce here...

Lawrence, your Caproni is really sweet! I hope someone will do a 1:48 scale model of it one day.

Here is my progress: I have painted the upper surfaces in dark green color. The first aircraft will remain more or less factory fresh while the second will be more weathered. To my surprise, the decals worked well with Mr. Mark softer. I first thought they would not conform to the surface but finally they did...

The decal sheet however doesn't provides a white fuselage band so I masked the model and painted it myself using Tamiya XF-2 acrylic paint. While I was at it, I also did the rudder cross because the decals are rather thin and translucent...

Finally, I have sprayed a coat of Hobby Color H20 for a flat finish...

If all goes well, the next update will also be the last one!

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi all,

As promised, here are the pictures of the finished models...

Jean-Luc
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:51 PM UTC
Ok I'm going to call this one done. Not overly happy with the finish. The Tamiya Flat Clear reacted badly with the Gunze paints and the surface crazed a bit and went quite soft. At least it gave me a chance to develop my freehand camo airbrushing skills.

Anyway, it's on the shelf now, I'm off to get ready for BOOM BOOM

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi everyone

Some fantastic models already!

I'm afraid I've un-enlisted. There are so many sample-builds piling up for the next few months, I've got to face reality and admit there's just no chance of me completing anything for this Campaign. So it's best to pull out before I even start and so avoid just ending up with another half-finished model in the pile! Oh well, I've got some wonderful kits ready to choose between for the next time we do a Regia Aeronautica build.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:09 PM UTC
Excellent builds as always, Jean-Luc.

Nice progress, Damian. Looking forward to see more.

I have now started my build for this campaign. The 21st Century Macchi 205V. I have read a lot about these 21st Century kits, so I thought I would give one a try myself.

So far the details look quite ok despite being a little heavy in some places. I have not decided whether to fit the pilot yet, but I have ordered some PE seatbelts just in case.

The fitting of the different parts are ok so far, but some filling will be needed at the wing edges. It is a strange sensation to use screws to put a model together

The decals look good and there are three very attractive options in the box, but without the swastikas. This is especially a problem for the Macchi in German markings as the Swastika is of a very peculiar type.

More to follow....

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Bongiorno a tutti!

Looks like I'm going to join this campaign after all. A "quick build" of a Reggiane Re 2000 (Swedish J 20) in 1/72 - mainly in order to practice my airbrushing skills (especially the mottling part). Thus, no aftermarket stuff and no particular detailing for this one!

Here's a first picture:

And this should prove that the kit qualifies for the campain!

Cheers! PolarBear

Ps. Great builds so far in this campaign! Bravo!
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
You can't imagine how much I love Regia Aeronautika

Cheers Nick
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hello all-
I'm starting late, but at least I'm starting!

First off-
Damian - I like your camo on the G.50. Nice freestyle airbrush work.
Jean-Luc - That is a magnificent pair of Re.2002's. Very inspiring.

For me, I will pick up the gauntlet that Merlin unfortunately had to lay down - I'll build the Classic Airframes 1:48 Fiat CR.42 (new mold), probably in the markings of Ten. Visentini of 412^Sq.

Here's the cockpit work I've done the last few nights:

The cockpit is photo-etch hell. The instructions are completely unhelpful as to placement and alignment of parts, so I'm guessing a lot. Even the enclosed photo of an assembled cockpit does little because I'm not sure how they got it to fit together like that!
Here's the bondage apparatus...er...harness & seat. Love those Italian harnesses!

Looking forward to seeing the other builds!
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Someone recently gave me a 1/72 SM.79 but its missing the decal sheet. I would like to add this to the Campaign but I would need to find replacement deacals or build with different markings. Would that still be acceptable?
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone recently gave me a 1/72 SM.79 but its missing the decal sheet. I would like to add this to the Campaign but I would need to find replacement deacals or build with different markings. Would that still be acceptable?

Sure, as long as it is italian design any markings approvable.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
Woohoo, I'm back.

Looks like some terrific birds have been completed in the last couple of months. These pictures are great for getting inspired to knock out some modeling projects (as is several inches of snow outside my window).

Was gonna go with the Classic Airframes C.200 but I kinda want a break from the limited run kits and all the extra modeling it invites. So last night I pulled off the shelf a crisp new box containing a Hasegawa C.202 Folgore. I'm gonna resist the temptation to aftermarket it out with all the trimmings. (I'll save that for the C.205). Instead, I started it as a 'straight out of the box project' to resharpen my construction skills. Just gonna add resin wheels and some plasticard here and there (OK, so maybe not _straight_ out of the box; but close,)

7 weeks left in the campaign. I'd say, judging from the already completed kites, its already been a success.

Cheers,
Fred

(I'll start posting some progress pics in the coming days)
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Welcome back, Frederick! Getting a tad worried there for a while...

Cheers! // PolarBear!
jamezquita
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hello Jean Luc, congratulations for youre Re.2002, its truly amazing, I know when published the full article en Aeroscale, I have a Re.2002 from Italeri and I want to know all modifications that need to make the kit properly.

The pilot's seat that material did it, sell it at a store model or I do to get one.

Thanks for your hobby, it's inspiring to me.

P.D.
Sorry for my bad English but it is not my first language, I speak Spanish

Saludos desde Guatemala.

Juan Carlos
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I was looking back through the thread and didn't see any seaplanes so I've decided to do the 1/72 Italeri Cant Z.501 for my entry.

I'll be doing the profile with the red stripes on the wings.

Mark
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,

I was looking back through the thread and didn't see any seaplanes so I've decided to do the 1/72 Italeri Cant Z.501 for my entry.

Mark

I know my Cant Z506 is in the naughty corner for giving me so much trouble, but its floaties will still be attached one day, maybe even before the Campaign end date !!

Cheers, D
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
That seaplane looks like a right fussy kit, but I'll bet it'll look pretty cool when finished.

Just getting ready to close up the cockpit on the Folgore. I think the color I mixed for the interior was too green (it looks suspiciously like an RAF cockpit). I wished I'd gotten it a little more blue. It might bite me in the rear later as I have to repeat the color in the wheel wells (don't I?!)

Ah well. With the fuse done this build should pick up some steam next week.

Cheers,
Fred
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
What a difference a day makes!! I take this campaign build mainly as a small excercise in mottling, something I haven't yet tried. Thus, not too big ambitions regarding details etc. The Italeri Regianne Re 2000 1/72 kit is built completely OOB, with the Swedish roundels as the only exception. No rescribing, no resin, no PE - just practice and fun at the same time!! Yesterday, I finally had some time to get at it! And man, once you get going...

First attempt at a grass field base
Swedish granite (Some form of texture gel found at the local art supplier)):

Swedish dirt:

Swedish southern war-time airfield worn turf anno 1943:

(I later added just a little more grass)

Breakfast...

Aircraft:
This is where I started in the wee hours of the morning:

Primer (Grigio Mimetico - I mainly used the PollyScale range):

Grigio Mimetico on the lower surfaces:

Giallo Mimetico:

Marrone Mimetico:

Verde Mimetico:

Future, followed by lunch...

Decals:

Future and dinner...

Weathering and a coat of satin varnish:

And right before bedtime:

I'm rather happy with my first attempt at mottling. This is a tiny model! Some cleaning up to do (mainly the weathering that ran a little wild). Fun day's work, to say the least!

Cheers! // PolarBear
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
And here's some pictures of the finished model! Italeri's 1/72 Regianne Re 2000 Falco I (J 20) in Swedish colours! The J 20 was a true workhorse in the southern Swedish air defence ("neutrality guard") during WWII. The home base for all these Italian Stallions was situated at an airfield just outside my home town of Malmö!

A rather swift build OOB, meant mainly as an excercise in mottling. Having seen Jean-Luc's Regiannes, I'm inspired to build the same aircraft in 1/48 in the near future (and spend some more effort on detailing, weathering etc).

Gracie for a nice campaign!

Cheers! // PolarBear
Removed by original poster on 01/25/10 - 15:25:16 (GMT).
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well its not much to look at (yet) but the folgore is proceeding to the wheel wells and lower wing tonight. Closed up the cockpit (should have taken picture _before_ closing it up.) Again I'm trying to keep after market upgrades to a minimum. I did have to fashion bulkheads and extend the cockpit floor to prevent the viewer from seeing all the way down the fuse. (but it really wasn't much if a fuss.)

Cheers,
Fred