Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Made in Italy
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
I've made a definate decision on my subject for this one. And it will be in the Egyptian box art markings for sure. Only a few days before it begins.

Andrew
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 12:11 AM UTC
Damn ! i wanna start my build now!
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

I've been in contact with Paolo Miana owner of :

http://www.avioebooks.com/

He has a very wide range of rare and hard to find WW1 and WW2 Italian reference material available for our builds. Please give his site a visit and send email him with any questions at :

[email protected]

Mark

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi there

I was going to go for the Ro 57 bis, but with so many great subjects to chose between it seems crazy to do the same as Harry (welcome to Aeroscale, by the way! ) - so I may do a Classic Airframes CR.32 or .42, or maybe their Ro. 37... I'll wait and see how things are panning out and try to avoid doubling up, but I definitely want that stunning campaign medal!

All the best

Rowan
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
I'd LOVE to have that ribbon......unfortunatly I don't have a single Italian aircraft in my stash. Anyone interested in doing some kit swaping?

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hey, just realised its 10 past midnight, I can get started.

Gotta love living in proximity to the dateline hehe

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
Yeah. I bet you celebrated the turn of the millennia twice too, huh!

Anyway. I will follow this whole build carefully trying to pick up info, tips and tricks. Sweden has flown quite a few Italian designs, both bombers and fighters, and I have a few of them looming in the future. Considering the quality of Artiplasts Reggiane Falco it's way in the future though.

Tony (A bit scared of rough castings)
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 02:59 PM UTC
Twice. What is twice ? You know we don't need any excuses to keep a party going here in Aus !

Anyway, I'm getting started. As you can see there's no detail inside the tub here, so I'm going to have my first go at adding some scratch details.

Happy modelling all, this promises to be an interesting campaign !
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 11:53 PM UTC
im gonna have to get cracking, i start work on monday so there will be no time for modelling
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, I've just about sorted out a space to build things in, so I'll maybe get cracking in the next day or two... I'm reckoning on a Macchi C.205 now, because I can incorporate the lovely SBS Models cockpit set and I promised Mike Grant ages ago that I'd try out his smoke-ring decals on an actual build.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:19 PM UTC
Started. Bits of Fiat and Cant all over.

Gotta love the plastic.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
hello all!!
well i ahve been propelling myself along at rocket speed!!
here is my Nardi so far!

well there hasnt been much to build so progress has been fast, there are soem constructions touch ups left, and a couple PE bits, but not bad for 3 days work!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Sorry guy's , but I'm pulling out of this one . I just don't have the time for it and to many personal projects on the go .
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC
sorry to hear that Terri!! good luck w/other projects
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hey James, is your Nardi build the kit equivalent of "shredding" ???

Slow down before you burn out mate.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hey Damian! haha shredding, nah i wanted to jump on it , beacsue im in full time work for 3 weeks now, and getting used to it means im a lot less prone to doing anything than i usually am, so i wanted to finfish the majority asap i have also been working heavily on my p-40!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Started making some progress on the SH Fiat G.55. I believe this kit is one od the ones that the MPM group produced a few years ago for Italian company "Flying Machines". MPM now seem to be methodically re-releasing them all themselves using the Special Hobby brand, which is good because Flying Machines kits were expensive, Special Hobby are much cheaper. I did the Finnish G.50 earlier in the year.

Completely forgot to take interior pics before joining up the fuselage halves, which is too bad as it's a pretty good interior- especially as it uses no resin except for the gunsight base.

Test fitting revealed that the joins between the upper and lower nose sections and wing roots was going to be tricky. In the end i decided the followin way was going to result in the easiest to work joins, filler will be needed...but not too much and the sanding will be relatively accessible. The upper wings will be added after everything else, and test fitting shows that a bit of adjustment will be needed on the upper forward wing root joins. But i think it will all turn out okay!

Progress is slower than usual due to also building 2 Camels for the Fokker vs Camel campaign.

Andrew
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi all, great work on the G55 Andrew, coming along really nicely.
Just some progress shots from me now.

The Cant floats are together and puttied, a little rescribing required. The door is a poor fit and will require some reinforcing behind and putty in the gaps, and the large window infills will require some work as well. In the version I am doing they will be painted and decalled over.

The Fiat is well underway but very lacking in detail. I have painted and highlighted the engine and enclosed it, the cockpit is next.

Cheers, D

Edit: Update next day, some evergreen strip for the packing behind the window panels on the Cant, and same strip for some bracing in the cockpit of the G50. Totally fictitious but it needed something. It's my first attempt at scratch details so I might have a go at adding some wiring as well.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
The airframe is together now. It worked out okay, pretty typical short run stuff really. The horizontal tail pieces are the worst fitting items, needing some superglue filler along the joins.

Andrew
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Wings on the G.50 and some extras painted. No fit issues here, very minor putty will be required along the wing and stabiliser roots.

Cheers, D
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 05:00 PM UTC
Getting the paint on. Azure Blue undersides and Mid Stone on top so far. The Egyptian Fiats were not painted in Italian or German tropical colours. Egypt had copious quantities of RAF paints and their aircraft of the immediate post war period tended to be in RAF colours. The question is what is the third colour? I'm going with dark earth like SH say. But i've heard it said by some that it could be Middle Stone and Dark Green instead of Dark Earth. But why would they use green for a desert scheme? No Dark Earth it will be on my Fiat.

Andrew
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
Kit purchased Fiat CR42AS in 1/48 by Italieri. Moulding looks good and cockpit good enough to build oob
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
With so much activity in this thread, I'll add a little teaser:

This one has been in the stash for probably a decade, this is a good a time as any to start it! I'll see if I can pick up some suitable paints in Telford for this one. Italian experts out there, do you have any suggestions?

I'll be back in a month or so with the start of this project!

Magnus
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:54 PM UTC
I got the Iwata out to do the Dark Earth camo. the black borders for the white stripes are supplied as decals.

I have to hand it to Fiat...whilst i cannot stand their pig-ugly cars or anything much else they may have their fingers in (Ferrari for example), they DID design one of the most amazing looking piston engined fighters of all time.

Now i need to look up those Egyptian crescents. The SH instructions have the Egyptian crescents pointing in all sorts of different directions, and the box art has them pointing different directions again! I have a feeling that they should all point the same way...the crescent openings should all point to the rear. But i need to confirm before i do something stupid.

UPDATE: it appears that the Egyptian markings of the time should always have the crescent opening pointing to the right, so they don't in fact all point the same direction on the aircraft. SH has it correct on the boxart, and wrong in the instructions.

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
My entry for this campaign is finished. Egyptian G.55A from about 1948. The best Special Hobby kit that ive built so far, and definately a cheaper way to get it than in the Flying Machine boxing. The kit includes resin wing machine guns, as the Egyptians removed the usual 20mm cannons in preference to 12mm machine guns. The kit also comes with Agentinian markings which was also a tempting option, but i really like the green Egyptian colours.

Overall an easy and fast build. I have heard that the hump behind the cockpit is poorly shaped...and i think there could be some truth to it. But still a good kit of a great looking aircraft in my opinion.

Andrew