_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Made in Italy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC
Great choice, Magnus. It has to be a fast build to get it done, unless a small extension is given

Frederik, great entry. It looks good and your problems with the decals cannot really be seen on the finished model.
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 05:27 PM UTC
Got back from a business trip, popped a new 0.35mm needle and nozzle into my airbrush, and was able to bang out some mottling tonight. Some touch-ups are needed, and my "Marrone 2" is perhaps too red, but now I may be able to bring it home before the deadline. Since it IS a Classic Airframes kit, anything and everything could go wrong with putting on the upper wing.

cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Tom the mottling looks fantastic. That Falco is going to look great.

OK, we are at a week to go in this campaign. The quality of builds has been terrific and I hope a few more squeeze in under the wire before the end of next week. So far I've gotten no PMs for an extension so, as it stands, the campaign is set to conclude 12:01 AM March 1.

Here's the list of everyone who has completed a build already and is set to receive a build ribbon

TedMamere: Regianne Re 2000
AussieReg: Fiat G50
Amegan: Fiat CR42AS Falco
PolarBear: Regianne Re 2000
Lawlzw: Caproni1 Ca-311
Cinzano: Macchi C.202
CMOT70: Fiat G.55

If I missed anyone please let me know.

Cheers,
Fred
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi all,

Some news on the Aermacchi. After the eye-hurting orange coloured plastic phase, I‘m glad to have come to the painting step now.

It took several thin layers of white primer. Until that the orange always slightly shone through...

The belly already got a preshading and the final white colour shortly after that. It took many thin translucent layers until I was satisfied with the subtle effect.

@ Tom: Your CR.42 is beautifully done! These really challenging mottling schemes always kept me from making Italian WWII subjects. But they're are so attractive! Honestly, I think your building speed is much faster than mine...
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your upper wing installation.

I‘m hoping that I can make it to the deadline.

All the best

Cheers
*Matty
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Great job on the camouflage, Tom. Looking forward to see more.

I have progressed a little bit with my Macchi 205.

Camouflage
The instructions were not clear about the demarkation lines between the top and underside camouflage. After looking through various references I settled on a light blue for the wing undersides and the sand/green camouflage for the fuselage tail, wing leading edges, and the air intake under the fuselage. It seems like the camouflage were extended much lower on the Macchi 205 than the Macchi 202.

Decals
The decals in the kit are very good. They are very thin and settle very well with the use of decal solvent. Top points for the decals!

Pilot
The kit includes a very nice pilot. The pilot seems to be proportionally correct and well detailed. As I intended this to be a "flying" model hanging from the ceiling I painted up the pilot and will put him in the cockpit.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:50 PM UTC
I have now finished my 21st century 1/32 Macchi 205. I have build it wheels up as I want it hanging from the ceiling.
An overall good kit although the details cannot be compared to the likes of Tamiya or Hasegawa - but neither can the price of roughly 12 Euros.

Comments welcome

doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
Nice job on the C.205, Jesper! The smoke rings are well-executed, and the pilot looks REALLY good! I also have this kit, so it is nice to see what can be done with it.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi,
I finished my Fiat G.50 in finnish airforce colours.

Thanks for the campaign.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
Beautiful Toumas!

It was worth the wait.

OK all,
Today is the last day of our campaign. If anyone is going to get a plane into the gallery and get a build ribbon, today is the day to button things up.

Tom contacted me already. His CR-42 is so close it would be a shame not to get it into the gallery. I've extended the deadline until Wednesday, therefore, if anyone else needs a to finish up you have until Wednesday at Midnight.

Cheers,
Fred
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Fred and all,

Nice to hear that the deadline is extended to Wednesday. I'm a little behind schedule, so the additional time is highly appreciated!

At least my building speed increased during this campaign! Usually my projects take a year...

@ Jesper and Tuomas: Very nice builds with a great finish - congratulations!

Here comes the update on the Aermacchi MB.326:

Hoping that I can finish the painting of the upper side tomorrow.

Cheers
*Matty
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 08:58 PM UTC
FIAT C.R.42 ”Falco”

Hi all!

I glued the fuselage, wings and the stabilizer together, and all looked good so far!

BUT, something looked very odd…

Then it dawned on me…

I had gotten the interior in the wrong position!
It sat a couple of millimetres too low on the right hand side!
Not by much, but it was very noticeable as the seatbelts (that would attach to the headrest armour) happened to be slightly outside the cockpit!
The cockpit is very narrow on this aircraft so it was like a sour thumb in my eyes!

Bummer….
How could I miss that???

NO, this wouldn’t do, so I had to crack the bottom seam and pry the fuselage apart again and reposition the cockpit floor with a piece of plastic sprue at the rear (to straight and level), and then re-assemble the fuselage again!

Now she’s sitting on my workbench, looking really good again, but there’s no way I can get her done in time, but I’ll give it a try anyway!

More to come!

Cheers!

Stefan

amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
I feel for you Stefan, I did thew same on my Hun and you sit and look at it and wonder will it be OK, knowing all along that you will have to re-do it
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel for you Stefan, I did thew same on my Hun and you sit and look at it and wonder will it be OK, knowing all along that you will have to re-do it

Hi!

Thanks for your sympathy, much appreciated!

I have fixed it now, and she´s looking really goood!

But it´s too late for this Campaign, tough!

Cheers!

Stefan
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

Last night has been long...

I finished basic painting of the upper side. Still a lot work to do but there's still a chance for completion until the deadline, too.

It's the first time for me taking part in a group build campaign and the experience of the progress is totally different. On one hand I would have a much lesser stress level without this commitment . On the other hand I would not have come to this step in such a short time. That's fun!

It feels like losing a mental blockade...

So, thank you Fred for leading this campaign!

Cheers
*Matty
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments on my Macchi 205V, Tom and Matty. I appreciate it.

Matty, good to see you are progressing well. The last sprint to the finish line and you will have an excellent entry!

Stefan, sorry to hear about the cockpit. Better to fix it straight away than to go around and be irritated every time we see it in your display.

Looking forward to see the final entries.
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

After quite busy days at work and long nights working on the Aermacchi MB.326 I have to surrender now - I feel sorry, I can't keep the final deadline.

I ran into some time consuming silvering problems with the decals. So, every piece was "soaked" with Microsol several times to get rid of. After all, I don't want to mess up the model because of being in a hurry...

Anyway, here you can see how it looks like right now:

Thanks again Fred for this great campaign. The topic and of course the outstanding ribbon got me started finally.

Cheers
*Matty
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:08 AM UTC
Cheer up Matty,

The plane is coming along fine. Even without a campaign ribbon, it sounds like the campaign gave you that boost to finish another bird for the collection (and isn't that the whole point of campaign?!)

Cheers,
Fred
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi all. Thanks for a great Campaign Fred, a really great theme and some super builds by all involved.

See you all in the next Campaign (of the 4 million I am enlisted in !!)

Cheers, D
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
Thanks Damian. I agree, it was a fun campaign with stunning planes all around. It also proceeded exceedingly smoothly for my first go at leading a campaign. (Thanks for everyone's patience with me when I was AWOL during cyclocross season.)

I've handed out campaign ribbons. If I missed someone (or they haven't got their pictures uploaded into the gallery yet) PM me and let me know. I'll correct it immediately.

For everyone else: There is still 5 1/2 hours (EST) before the deadline extension expires.

Cheers,
Fred
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 06:11 PM UTC
Here comes Tom, skating in under (or just past - depending on your time zone) the extended deadline.

I finished my Classic Airframes Falco in the markings of Tenente Mario Visintini - one of the first WW2 Italian Aces - who largely served (and died) in Eritrea. I love Regia Aeronautica unit markings - hence picking this 412 Sq Autonoma aircraft with the cool horse superimposed on Africa.

Thanks for a great campaign, guys. This was my second campaign, and I'm finding them highly motivating! All your work is inspiring.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
Tom,

Your Fiat was well worth the wait. It came out really nicely. You'll notice a fresh campaign ribbon next to your profile

Thanks for the build.

Cheers,
Fred
 _GOTOTOP