Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Cold War Jets Campaign
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahhh, part #57. I'll see what I can do. Looks good thus far. How did you know I need to wear glasses? "Q"

:) Don't worry about the part thanks Q. I think I can put up with the one I made as I am the only one who will ever look at it when it is finished anyway.. And I am relying on the red paint and checkerboard markings to distract anyone who may have a look.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:52 PM UTC
No problem Warren. Looking forward to seeing some paint on that thing soon!
"Q"
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:23 PM UTC
Well i guess i should chime in and show some progress.having a hard time getting to the bench lately..............

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
Looks good Justin. I like the seat harnesses. Keep at it. "Q"
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
Well I'm just about finnshed with this one, all that needs to be done is a weathering wash, dull coat followed by an in-flight stand. The decals were a real SOB. Had problems with the tail and shark mouth decals, nothing a half of bottle of Micro Sol wouldn't solve.

If time permits I may do a second, F-4J or F-4S.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:36 PM UTC
Great work on the pit and bang seats Justin.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:40 PM UTC
Yo Q' that shadow painting is awesome, super great job!

Happy Modeling,
Joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:17 AM UTC
Great build, Joe. Very colourful and the shark teeth looks very nice on the Phantom.

Looking forward to see it on the flying stand.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yo Q' that shadow painting is awesome, super great job!

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Thanks Joe. I have a few more liveries on the shelves that will receive the same treatment. I took it to a contest this past week end and it got some really good reviews..no award, but folks genuinely liked the way it looked. Some of my other a/c beat it out so I didn't feel too bad. The Phantom is looking good. That particular scheme is one of my favs. Looking forward to seeing some more. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"

ps. As the newly appointed CO for this campiagn....how is everybody else doing? Have heard from a few of you. How about the rest?
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
OK, I'm taking a couple of days off from work before I go completely postal and am looking for something to build. My eye alights on an old favorite that I never actually got around to, you know, BUILDING! So here's my excuse!

Airfix 1/48 E.E. Lightning F.1a with Cutting Edge (purchased before I was blackballed ) interior and decals for 56 Sqn. Firebirds (I know, a little cliche, but I've always wanted to do one!)

Unfortunately my daughter ran off to college with my camera so no pics yet, but I hope to get it back later this week. Meanwhile, I've painted the cockpit black and am off and running!

Michael
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Mike. Soas not to get black listed here, don't ask any simple questions...okay? lol. I still laugh when you tell that story... I love the Lightning. If you recall that is the one I built for the Academy when Billy brought those kits into the meeting way back when. Looking forward to your build.
How goes the Spitfire? "Q"
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Ok thats me done now! Finally got the pics of my Mirage IV and Sabre in the gallery!
The Mirage was a dog of a kit, I'd really love a good kit of this plane, I lose a bit of interest when kits are bad. The Sabre was a quick OOB build so I could practice using Alclad. The Alclad looks ok to me and the model was on our club stand at the IPMS show in Huddersfield last weekend.
I entered 2 of my 1/700 ships in the competition at the show and came away with Best in Class and a commendation. Hopefully my planes will soon be up to that level!

thanks
Mike
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 08:48 AM UTC
Nice work on both of those. Its a couple I'd like to have a go at myself. You dont see Mirage IV's done very often. What sort of problems did the kit give you? It does capture the charastic long nose and stalky under-cart very well.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks!

General fit problems, as you might expect from an older kit. The fuselage halves didn't fit together very well, the cockpit pushed the fuselage out, gaps in the wing join to the fuselage etc etc.
A decent plastic kit of the Mirage IV would be most welcome! After seeing some pics of it and reading about it, I have to say it's my favourite French plane.

thanks
Mike
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
Sounds a bit like most heller kits I've done in the past. Just a little care and patience along with a good tube of filler and they usually look good in the end. Did it come with a nuke or ASMP missile?
A new one would be good along with a Mirage III and Vautour too while someones at it. Seems unlikely anyone will but we can wish. Shame really as France has rarely built an ugly aircraft unlike many others that we could name.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 10:57 PM UTC
It looks like the AS-11 Free fall nuke to me!

I agree a new tool Mirage II would be welcome, although I have the AML Mirage III Shahak in my stash. There are new kits of the Vautour and Ouragan out soon, Valom and Special hobby if I remember right. I'm trying to build up a collection of Israeli jets, hence the interest in French planes!

thanks
Mike
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Cool, I've had the same idea myself for a while. A couple of years ago I got 2 unboxed airfix Mirage's and the Isradecal Shahak sheet. Basicly allows you to any Shahak in IDF service, providing you can get the kit. I've had a look at the AML one but I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Some love it, others hate it. Its a short-run kit so more work is expected, but I'm holding out for a new tool (preferably with both engines and LOTS of weapons to choose!). It seems a waste to use those decals on the ancient airfix kit. If only hobbyboss would scale down the 1:48.
Back to the Sukhoi, the interior is now done and the intake thinned out. Just painting up the pilot before I glue him the armchair that passes for an ejector seat.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hey gang I’m finished with mine. I don’t have the base made yet but it doesn’t matter as the jet is finished. Right now I don’t have anywhere to put it as I’m getting ready to redo the modeling room.

Anyhow the model went together alright; decals were somewhat trouble some but managed to get them on. Most of the time spent was scribing in the panel lines. I was hoping to get in a second but I’m just getting ready to do a super super Hornet build. I’m going to do four F/A18’s at once. Also will be doing the Fighting Falcon, Cats out of the Bag and Afterburner Decal campaigns.

It’s was a great campaign and hope to see everyone else finish on time

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC
Nicely done Joe. One of my all time favorite schemes for the Phantom. Don't forget to post a pic or two in the gallery. Getting ready to start on my F-18 for the Afterburner campaign as well. See you there. "Q"
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:28 AM UTC
Stephen: I agree, I can't understand why the Mirage III has been ignored by the major maunfacturers in 1/72, aside from a couple of old kits. It's one of the most important jet fighters yet made. I'll get round to doing mine at some point but I have loads to build for a while!
If you like Israeli jets, you need the Isra Decal Middle East Meteors set. I have an old Matchbox Meteor NF14 to make as an Israeli NF13 and a newer tool Airfix Meteor F8. I even have an old Matchbox Mystere IV somewhere!

Joe: Nice Phantom, looks very much like the one in the American aircraft museum at RAF Duxford.

thanks
Mike
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:09 PM UTC
Michael and Steven,

D'oh! ISRAELI aircraft qualify for this campaign As Mr. Matt will confirm, I have kind of a jones for IAF airplanes. In fact, I have at least one kit of every Israeli fighter from 1948 to today in 1/48. Why it didn't occur to me that I could build one for this shindig, I have no idea.

This could cause me to change my entry. Hmm... I have several Eduard Mirages in the stash. Doing one of those together with an Egyptian MiG-21 for the MiG campaign? Sounds like it could be a plan

Michael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
Go for it! Haven't see the eduard kit built up but I've heard its a great kit. What marking scheme would you go for on it?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
Stephen,

Probably bare metal. Ever since I got the Osprey Duel on the Mirage vs MiG-21, June 1967, I've wanted to do the pair of them. Give me a chance to finally try out the Floquil silver for bare metal.

Now, which squadron? Think, think...

Michael
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
nice finish joe good work
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 12:15 AM UTC
Ah, so a 6-Day War era version. Just a suggestion but there was one that racked up a huge number of kills at around this time.